Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 14:08   #6616
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
True, the variance indeed is evident in the middle jumps.

The 11-34 9-speed cassette on my bike goes like this – 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34
And an 11-speed 105 with the same range has 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30-34
This is why -

"In general, the jumps between the higher gears (smaller cogs) is lower than those between the lower gears (bigger cogs). But the effect (feel) on your legs of a 1 or 2 tooth jump at the higher end is the same (slightly more in the lower speed systems like 8 speed in fact) as to 3 to 4 to even 5-6 tooth jump at the lower end."

Its simple maths actually and there is also a "ideal jump ratio" range between consecutive gears. I forget the number. @Shipnil had mentioned it a long time back when we were having a gear ratio discussion.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 19:23   #6617
BHPian

HI All - Recently discovered this section of the forum and needless to say that I am really thrilled to have a community of cycling enthusiasts here.

A bit about my journey with cycling. I started getting back into cycling at the beginning of 2021, after leaving it at the age of 21. For me I was on the lookout for new forms of exercise besides boxing and crossfit and rediscovered my liking for cycling. Now I try to complete 100 Kms a week alongside other forms of exercise and I feel I'm ready to explore further and do longer endurance rides.

I currently have a Triban RC 100 that I picked up from decathlon and I really like the bike. But it is limited by its 7 speed Tourney unit which is felt especially on climbs and long distance sprinting. Since my primary target is fitness, I do try to keep a watch on the average speed and enjoy sprinting and the occasional suffering. I have come to realize that its time for me to switch to an endurance geometry road bike to better suit my needs. Considering the lack of availability in the market, I took a look at the used bike market and found out 2 decent options. Both these are unfortunately not very popular and have limited reviews online. Requesting suggestions and inputs from fellow enthusiasts here.

Option 1 - Focus Culebro 4.0 2018 -

This is a 2018 model with a fair amount of usage (~2500KM as per the current owner). Comes with
  • Sora GroupSet
  • Concept EX Wheelset
  • KMC Chain
  • FSA Headset
  • Concept EX Brakes
Online reviews are scarce and the ones which are there points towards this being a no-nonsense fast entry level road bike.

Selling Price - 55000 INR

Most detailed review I could find - https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...ro-4-0-review/

Option 2 - Ridley Damocles 3

This is a 2020 purchase model of the India specific Damocles 3. Has an endurance oriented frame and comes with -
  • Tiagra GroupSet
  • Shimano Wheelset
  • Shimano Chain
  • FSA Crankset
  • Tektro brakes

Selling price - 59000 INR

Most detailed review - https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/w...-3-2017-review

This one while seems good on paper, is in another city and I will have to depend on pictures and videos for inspection before its shipped over.

Looking forward to your suggestions on the above 2 or any leads on new/ used bikes will also be appreciated. I am currently located in Bangalore.

Last edited by anoopGTkrish : 28th October 2021 at 19:23. Reason: Culbero Model number updated
anoopGTkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 19:53   #6618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
HI All - Recently discovered this section of the forum and needless to say that I am really thrilled to have a community of cycling enthusiasts here.
The Sora for 55k versus the Tiagra for 59k the Tiagra seems to be a better bet. But an out of city deal is always dicey, though to be fair my road bike and trainer are both out of city unseen deals.

I would suggest you keep the RC100 and ride some more before investing in a proper road bike. You've just started cycling. For a new rider the lack of gears will definitely be tough. Use that to get tougher. I know at least a couple of strong riders who absolutely rock their RC100's. Speed and distance and climbing.

Then later on you can keep it as your beater bike and get a proper road bike when supply is better.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 28th October 2021 at 20:02.
Old 28th October 2021, 20:10   #6619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your suggestions on the above 2 or any leads on new/ used bikes will also be appreciated. I am currently located in Bangalore.
When it comes to buying a used bike (especially a high ticket item), three key factors need to be considered.

1. Fit and alignment - easiest of all since you are the only buyer (in consideration). Ask for and try long test rides on different types of terrain. Walk away if the owner gives excuses of any sort. Walk away if you aren't comfortable riding the bike. Considering you already are doing long rides, this should be easy.

2. Condition of the components - take someone who's good at evaluating the condition, a second voice always helps. Talk to some local cycle store in advance for a paid evaluation if you can't get a fellow cyclist to join you.

3. Pricing. Doubt you have a choice here. It's a sellers' market so doubt you can negotiate. But play hardball if any of the parts need change (e.g. tires condition). Ask for recent servicing details - understand how well he's kept the bike. I wouldn't worry if the bike's been in cold storage, but you can use these cues in pricing negotiations. Again the fellow companion helps.

Different city? Should hardly matter - make the effort to visit it in person if the bike looks good on paper. Be ready to walk away if any of the above 3 factors doesn't work out. NEVER NEVER buy a used cycle (or for that matter any vehicle) without an in-person check-up.

P.s. both are great bikes - the Ridley is a very popular one IIRC. Anyday Tiagra > Sora but wrt a used bike, the above 3 aspects matter more than this.
Old 29th October 2021, 09:21   #6620
BHPian

I want to purchase basic non geared cycle for my son so went to the local market and got confused by so many brands.

For e.g. Keysto claim cycles are made in Satara, Pune but other shops claim it is Chinese worthless cycle brand. Liked 'Cross" brand by Hero, later on through online research come to know this brand has nothing to do with Hero cycles. Salesman was conveniently hiding this fact from me. There were so many new brands unheard claiming origin from ShriLanka which I don't believe.

Sadly, very few options from good old brands of India i.e. Atlas, BSA, Hercules etc.

My requirement: Basic non geared, less than 10K (lack of secure parking at school), reliable, robust, spared parts availability etc.

Please suggest good brand/model that fulfil above requirements. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th October 2021, 09:37   #6621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
My requirement: Basic non geared, less than 10K (lack of secure parking at school), reliable, robust, spared parts availability etc.
I also want to buy a similar basic non geared cycle for pottering around the neighbourhood (going to the gym, running errands etc.), and have shortlisted the following models. Planning to visit a few shops after Diwali.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8304742/h...8304742&type=p

https://machcity.com/ibike-single-speed/

https://stryderbikes.com/product/700c-hyb-100/

https://www.herocycles.com/product/city-rider-26t-vb

Keysto is an Indian brand, manufactured by Trinity Cycles. They also make bikes under other brands like Dodge and Schnell.

https://trinitycycles.in/about-trinity/

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th October 2021 at 09:39.
Old 29th October 2021, 11:47   #6622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to purchase basic non geared cycle for my son so went to the local market and got confused by so many brands.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I also want to buy a similar basic non geared cycle for pottering around the neighbourhood (going to the gym, running errands etc.), and have shortlisted the following models. Planning to visit a few shops after Diwali.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8304742/h...8304742&type=p
Though the earlier My Bikes with the curved forks were better in my opinion, the MyBike is still the most value for money basic errands/gym cycle going right now.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 14:13   #6623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Sora for 55k versus the Tiagra for 59k the Tiagra seems to be a better bet. But an out of city deal is always dicey, though to be fair my road bike and trainer are both out of city unseen deals.

I would suggest you keep the RC100 and ride some more before investing in a proper road bike.

Then later on you can keep it as your beater bike and get a proper road bike when supply is better.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc. Definitely not selling the RC 100 (Mine has the Flat Bar) as I can still use it for daily gym, grocery or other errands. In the last 10 months or so I have completely stopped taking the Duke/ car out for small errands within 4 kms as its just so much easier on the bike.

How long do you think would be an ideal time? My initial thought was a year after purchase of RC that would be December of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
When it comes to buying a used bike (especially a high ticket item), three key factors need to be considered.

Different city? Should hardly matter - make the effort to visit it in person if the bike looks good on paper. Be ready to walk away if any of the above 3 factors doesn't work out. NEVER NEVER buy a used cycle (or for that matter any vehicle) without an in-person check-up.

P.s. both are great bikes - the Ridley is a very popular one IIRC. Anyday Tiagra > Sora but wrt a used bike, the above 3 aspects matter more than this.
Thanks Ninja. Unfortunately the bike is in Delhi and I'm in Bangalore. Not in a position to travel at the moment. Even I'm not a 100% of buying a bike unseen.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th October 2021 at 18:48. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 14:40   #6624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long do you think would be an ideal time? My initial thought was a year after purchase of RC that would be December of this year.
I don't think there is any hard and fast rule or formula. Many guys buy a road bike as their first bike as well, and have never owned a flat bar. But I honestly feel one would appreciate a road bike so much more after riding a flat bar for at least a year (or two), and putting in some decent mileage on the flat bar first (like 5000+ km at least, that's a decent number).

I bought my road bike in 2018, my injury frustration year, but I actually started using her only in 2019, two years after my ACT and a frustrating stupid stint on a Scott flat bar front sprung fork hybrid.

I still put in a lot of volume on my ACT. As Spindatt says, every bike is a good time.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 18:46   #6625
Team-BHP Support

The handlebar got lowered a bit this evening - moved one spacer up.

The Bicycles thread-file2.jpeg
Old 30th October 2021, 20:10   #6626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Today, I visited Hero Sprint exclusive dealer and finalised
Hero Men's Manhattan 26T.

https://www.amazon.in/Manhattan-Spor.../dp/B08WPKBL2P

Quoted price is 7.5K which is same that of online price. I hope to bring price down further or get some extra accessories as a bargain.

It is my observation that online cycles are not available in the showroom but this cycle is exception.

I wish to seek your opinion on this cycle selected.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_0136.jpg  

Old 30th October 2021, 20:16   #6627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, I visited Hero Sprint exclusive dealer and finalised
Hero Men's Manhattan 26T.....I wish to seek your opinion on this cycle selected.
I am no cycling Guru, but your choice looks good, and price also seems reasonable. If you are in Pune, would you mind sharing the name and location of the dealer you bought it from?

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th October 2021 at 20:44.
Old 31st October 2021, 20:34   #6628
Senior - BHPian

Was looking at various FRONT LIGHTS and I must say this newcomer, the 200 LUMEN, beats them all. With FIVE MODES OF LIGHT OPTIONS TO CHOOSE it cost me Rs 1600. Only negative is the 2 hour it takes to charge. Let's put pics of more accessories, Guys - so its easier for someone to buy. (Prior to this I used the CATEYE picked up from a Store in Singapore)
Pic; this is just the low beam
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_0684.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_0685.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 31st October 2021 at 20:44.
Old 31st October 2021, 21:33   #6629
BHPian

Came across this short video of a Korean chap with some amazing cornering skills on his road bike. Quite similar to those Japanese moto gymkhana riders tackling sharp turns on their motorbikes.

itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:47   #6630
BHPian

Just to check, has anyone here bought a bike on their trip abroad and gotten it into the country ?
The 50k goods rule is there, but I am sure the Customs Officers are smart enough and would flag it down ?

Last edited by AnniHilat0R : 1st November 2021 at 11:49.

Most Viewed