Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:51   #6661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsnare24 View Post
I had been looking out for a bike to handle my hyperlocal needs in Mumbai over the past few weeks, however the challenges and situations I faced were quite unique!

I’m 6’2”/200 pounds, which means my hopes of buying pretty much any regular/cheap cycles go out the window. I
Most any bike will be able to handle riders of up to 100-110 kilos without anything breaking. 120-140 kilos onward is where you need bikes built for that load capacity. Mainly the frame and wheels.

You are just 90 kilos. Which for your height is a perfectly normal weight. I'm 6' and 85 kilos and I ride a road bike on 23 mm tyres. Don't know who told you that you needed something special. But that's not true.

Also bigger wheels (like 29ers and 700c in general) are weaker than smaller wheels like the 26 inch MTB wheels. Ranger size as they say locally. So really heavy guys or guys riding with very heavy loads would do better with those.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd November 2021 at 10:54.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:31   #6662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You are just 90 kilos. Which for your height is a perfectly normal weight. I'm 6' and 85 kilos and I ride a road bike on 23 mm tyres. Don't know who told you that you needed something special. But that's not true.
+ 1 to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsnare24 View Post
I’m 6’2”/200 pounds, which means my hopes of buying pretty much any regular/cheap cycles go out the window.
I started of my cycling when I was ~95 kilos (height 5 10') on a Hercules MTB and rode it for nearly half a year. So pretty much any cycle would fit your frame. Anyway, have fun with your current bike and use it for the means possible. That one would take in your weight/frame too so not too much of an issue.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 19:32   #6663
BHPian

Query to the folks in Bangalore.

Who are the reliable Trek dealers here ?
And do you know what is the average wait time if you book one of the 2022 models ?

Basically looking at a Trek Dualsport - 2

I did try with Probikes Jayanagar. But he is not giving any straight answers.

Edit: I have seen the listing on their website , just checking if anyone has personal experience.

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th November 2021 at 19:46.
Old 28th November 2021, 13:39   #6664
BHPian

I ride a 2021 Trek Dual Sport 3, purchased in September 2020. My stem bearing needs replacement but I forgot to take the diameter of the bearings, the diameter of the bottom and the top of the headtube and the steertube diameter.
The Bicycles thread-img_20211121_103612.jpg

I have some options from Starkenn VP components. But I just could not determine which size should I go for. And the code printed is as shown in the picture. Can somebody help me out?
The Bicycles thread-img_20211122_155445.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th November 2021 at 11:39. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:21   #6665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
Attachment 2238360
I ride a 2021 Trek Dual Sport 3, purchased in September 2020. My stem bearing needs replacement but I forgot to take the diameter of the bearings, the diameter of the bottom and the top of the headtube and the steertube diameter.
Sorry I am not coming up with a direct solution.
But since your Dual sport is hardly a year old, what let you to the conclusion that the stem bearing needs replacement ?

Also were you doing a lot of hardcore MTB style riding over bumps and pits and rocky terrain ? Since the dual sport is not built for proper MTB terrains.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:34   #6666
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2238360
Look at the existing bearings closely and it must have the key details engraved on it. BTW what caused the bearing replacement in 1 year?

regards,
narayanang76
Old 29th November 2021, 22:14   #6667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Sorry I am not coming up with a direct solution.
But since your Dual sport is hardly a year old, what let you to the conclusion that the stem bearing needs replacement ?

Also were you doing a lot of hardcore MTB style riding over bumps and pits and rocky terrain ? Since the dual sport is not built for proper MTB terrains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Look at the existing bearings closely and it must have the key details engraved on it. BTW what caused the bearing replacement in 1 year?

regards,
narayanang76
We did inspected the bearings when we removed them for cleaning, albeit, not so carefully. We could not find any inscription or markings there. Maybe we should re remove and recheck them

I do ride only within the city limits, but here in the hills of the North East, roads are almost always in bad conditions. And lot of climbs and lots of descent too(sometimes not so soft landing). And I ride in the rains too.

I noticed some creaking sounds somewhere from the handle bar while climbing. The mechanic I went to, inspected and found out the not so good condition of the bearings, for which he suggested replacement. The top one was relatively better, the lower one was rusted, stuck and somewhat loose on removal.
Old 29th November 2021, 22:48   #6668
BHPian

Quote:
We did inspected the bearings when we removed them for cleaning.....
You might want to go through Trek's India warranty page
https://www.trekbikes.com/in/en_IN/warranty_policy/
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:58   #6669
BHPian

What bike?!

I already have a hybrid bike. Montra Blues 1.1. I use it for my daily commute to office, 8kms a day. Most weekends I also do a 50kms ride, with a slight uphill. And have also managed a couple of 75kms+ and a 100km ride on the bike, averaging about 20kms/hr with quite a few breaks.

I am looking to take cycling to the next level, and what that means for me is potentially a 100km ride every alternate weekend at an average of at least 25kmph. So an under 5hr ride. And aim for a 200km ride as well.

I am considering investing in a road bike. I think the lighter frame will help me with the speed and endurance. I rented and tried one, the Bianci Nirone 7, did not really speed me up significantly. Also with the drop handle bars the strain on the upper spine was quite a bit. This was my first experience with a road bike.

Any suggestions on which road bike to buy? I am limiting myself to Rs 1.3L. And if I am consistent and do well, I may invest again a few years down the line.
Old 3rd December 2021, 15:07   #6670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
I rented and tried one, the Bianci Nirone 7, did not really speed me up significantly.
Welcome to the constantly growing real world club of perplexed, disappointed, pissed off, frustrated hybrid riders who move to a road bike expecting to magically go 3-5 kmph faster for free, but barely see a 1-2 kmph increase initially (if at all).

A road bike is not a go fast nirvana which can be bought, sadly. What makes you actually go fast is your legs and heart and lungs, and there is no short cut for sale for those.

Till you spend enough time on a road bike, at least the same amount of time as you have on your hybrid, you are not going to be automatically faster. Yes, the effort is going to be easier. But the speed will comes from heart and lungs and muscle. Not the metal and rubber (to a major extent ... of course some benefit will be there).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:54   #6671
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the constantly growing real world club of perplexed, disappointed, pissed off, frustrated hybrid riders who move to a road bike expecting to magically go 3-5 kmph faster for free, but barely see a 1-2 kmph increase initially (if at all).

A road bike is not a go fast nirvana which can be bought, sadly. What makes you actually go fast is your legs and heart and lungs, and there is no short cut for sale for those.

Till you spend enough time on a road bike, at least the same amount of time as you have on your hybrid, you are not going to be automatically faster. Yes, the effort is going to be easier. But the speed will comes from heart and lungs and muscle. Not the metal and rubber (to a major extent ... of course some benefit will be there).

Cheers, Doc
Do you suggest sticking with the same cycles and riding longer and harder?

Last edited by kmadhok : 3rd December 2021 at 17:57. Reason: Rephrasing my question
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:06   #6672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you suggest sticking with the same cycles and riding longer and harder?
No that's not what I meant. The Montra Blues is a very capable hybrid. Our senior mod here rocks one. I was trying to tell you that you need to temper your expectations from hardware and machinery vis a vis your own body and training as the primary engine of getting fitter and faster.

If you want a road bike, by all means get one. But if you are doing 21-22 kmph right now and think that you will start riding 25+ the moment you get a road bike, with the same current level of fitness, I was cautioning you that such is not going to happen.

Even today after 3 years of riding my road bike and training on it, the difference in speed between the same ride done at the same intensity between my hybrid and my road bike is max 3 kmph. Oftentimes even less. But to be fair, I am pretty fast on my hybrid and push it harder than many do. Just wish I could be and do the same on my road bike.

Eventually.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:13   #6673
BHPian

Quote:
No that's not what I meant. The Montra Blues is a very capable hybrid. Our senior mod here rocks one. I was trying to tell you that you need to temper your expectations from hardware and machinery vis a vis your own body and training as the primary engine of getting fitter and faster.

If you want a road bike, by all means get one. But if you are doing 21-22 kmph right now and think that you will start riding 25+ the moment you get a road bike, with the same current level of fitness, I was cautioning you that such is not going to happen.

Even today after 3 years of riding my road bike and training on it, the difference in speed between the same ride done at the same intensity between my hybrid and my road bike is max 3 kmph. Oftentimes even less. But to be fair, I am pretty fast on my hybrid and push it harder than many do. Just wish I could be and do the same on my road bike.

Eventually.

Cheers, Doc
Expectations set
Any recommendations on first road bike?

Should you need more info on my goals and riding pattern happy to provide the answers.

Last edited by kmadhok : 3rd December 2021 at 19:18. Reason: Added offer for more questions
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:01   #6674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expectations set
Any recommendations on first road bike?

Should you need more info on my goals and riding pattern happy to provide the answers.
Whatever is available in your size and in your budget and which you are comfortable on and like the best and like the look and feel of. There is not a lot of choice in the market right now.whose Celeste blue Via Nirone is that? It's as good a bike as any.
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:36   #6675
BHPian

Quote:
Whatever is available in your size and in your budget and which you are comfortable on and like the best and like the look and feel of. There is not a lot of choice in the market right now.whose Celeste blue Via Nirone is that? It's as good a bike as any.
Thanks.
Rented it from someone close by.

Most Viewed