Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 11:07   #7021
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Background

I just don’t seem to lose weight whatever I do (Well, as we all know being a foodie and enjoying best cuisines every other day does not help in weight loss).
My 2cents of Gyan from personal experience!

Have no right to be your dietitian but just bringing out what worked for me since I'm a Punjabi and a foodie!

Weight loss / Fat Loss / Having a fit body / Good Stamina boils down to 70% quality and quantity of food and 30% exercise.

When u get the 1st 70% right, the last 30% acts like a catalyst to achieve the above said situation

I love sweets, Beer and Chicken. Add to that - I love hogging on different cuisines.

I just cut down my sweets, reduced by beer and made a conscious effort to reduce the quantity of food especially the processed ones. Another flavor which I experimented and did wonders for me was intermittent fasting. Last meal before 9 PM and then straight to lunch.

Nowadays, with hectic work life and ensuring my daughter catches the 7 AM school bus, energy gets a little low to sustain without anything till lunch so I gobble in an Egg

End result - all old clothes fitting, having decent stamina and still enjoying my morning cycling

Cheers

PS - I have an electric cycle and after the 1st month of riding, I ended up leaving the detachable battery at home for the morning rides.
pareshraheja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 00:08   #7022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
PS - I have an electric cycle and after the 1st month of riding, I ended up leaving the detachable battery at home for the morning rides.
Thanks Paresh for some sane advice. Well, I know what you say is absolutely right that food plays a majority role in losing weight but, my lifestyle (hardcore sales where half the time I am entertaining customers) is very different than most people and it's difficult to eliminate.

But, I can defiantly monitor the quantity which I will plan to do in future.

Btw, I see you also own a E-Bike and saw your YouTube video. Excellent presentation and you seem to enjoy the bike a lot.

How much does that cost? I plan to move to an e-bike eventually.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 10:37   #7023
BHPian

Quote:

How much does that cost? I plan to move to an e-bike eventually.
The cost of e-bike generally depends on the size of the battery. Mostly the budget ones are Chinese and in the range of 50 to 55K INR with a battery of min capacity 10 aH. This should give you about 75 to 80km range on peddle assist.

The good ones from brands like GIANT etc, cost you about 1.5L. What I realized on my e-bike is that the electric components are of decent quality but mechanicals are sub-standard. Already changed the brake pads, bottom crank bracket, crank peddle. Time to change the rear cog, front chain ring and chain. All this within 2K km. Luckily the frame is quite good.

Cheers

PS - I too am in sales and totally understand about client interactions. Where else do u think I got addicted to beer. Heh, but the onus is on you to control that temptation
pareshraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:23   #7024
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Got this one over the weekend. It was an IWINMWINO purchase, meaning - "I-Want-It-Now-Means-Want-It-Now-Onlee", because my car has to be in the garage for mods for another 3 days. So didn't do much research or look for many options at more than 3 shops. Got it from a local shop that I am not even sure is an official dealer. The shopkeeper claimed it has lifetime warranty on frame and fork which I doubt as the online distributor claims 3yrs or less IIRC.

Went to decathlon before that but nothing below 24k for a 29T larger than 18" frame. Moreover the staff over there was pathetic - I was asking for a frame size larger than 18 and they were repeatedly confusing it with tyre size. Then they did not know that bikes are measured by frame-size as well...

This one is a Made-In-China Phoenix Power 290 - A quick check revealed the company exports to more than 50 countries so I thought it must be decent quality. T6061 alloy, very lightweight with detachable front wheel. First impressions very good - but I never owned a cycle that cost more than 7.5k before or with 7 gears... Features include:
Quote:
ALLOY FRAME 29″ (WITH INTERNAL CABLE)
SUSPENSION FORK (THREADLESS)
SHIMANO EF-500, 21 SPEED
RD-TZ500
FD-TZ500
F/R MECHANICAL DISC BRAKES
DOUBLE WALL ALLOY
COMPASS 29″ X2.10″
PHOENIX
PHOENIX ALLOY STEM
Main goal is find an excuse to hit the outdoors and work my lower body and cardio as I find my motivation for home exercise to be very intermittent. Instead of that expensive treadmill costing +50k I should have got a bike 5 years back... sigh!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-phoenix-290-collage.jpg  

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd August 2022 at 14:37.
Ragul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 20:58   #7025
Senior - BHPian

Canyon bikes are shipping free for next 48 hours. That's a straight up savings of $100 for those in the USA.
It does not apply to outlet/used bikes, just the new bikes and that too non-electric only.
Old 31st August 2022, 15:38   #7026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Background

Any inputs, feedback and words of encouragement is welcome.
Welcome to the cycling world!

Here are a few tips that may help you extend your range on your bike:
1. If you are not going to be going onto unpaved trails, you dont need those knobby tires. You can go for smoother rolling ones, or proper road tires.
2. To increase your pedaling efficiency, switch to clip-less pedals. SPD style is quite popular as walking is a little easier in those. Otherwise try to consciously pull the pedal up by curling your toes when the crank is at the bottom and pushing your heel down when it is coming up.
3. Clothing: There is something to be said about wearing sport specific clothes. They increase your comfort and reduce chafing.
4. Last but not the least, make sure the bike is the right size for you.

Oh and drink lots of water.

Happy miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Canyon bikes are shipping free for next 48 hours. That's a straight up savings of $100 for those in the USA.
It does not apply to outlet/used bikes, just the new bikes and that too non-electric only.
If only they had the bike I wanted in stock. They keep pushing its availability date.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:57   #7027
Senior - BHPian

How to teach bicycle to someone (who is not a kid anymore)? Any tips?
We don't seem to get training wheels for bigger cycles, and adults are less willing to sacrifice (read 'small bruises') for learning something new.
It may be easy to teach cycling to kids because you can run along with the bicycle for 2 days and guard them from falling down because of their small weight (And kids learn quickly within a few days as well). This may not work out for adults.
During the pandemic, many of us realized that cycling is a great option for exercising, but are stuck because we never bothered to learn cycling when we were kids.
Note: there are lot of youtube doctors available, but wanted to get opinion from someone who has learned cycling in middle age.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 31st August 2022 at 16:12.
Old 31st August 2022, 19:52   #7028
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
How to teach bicycle to someone (who is not a kid anymore)? Any tips?
Quite a few YouTube videos on this. Basically involves sitting on a bicycle and keep pushing so you gather momentum and doing so till the cycle goes a few meters without having to touch the ground and you feel confident to pedal. This is also the method they use in driving schools to teach balance to those unacquainted with two wheelers. People happily push much heavier scooters and M80s.

If you have a pedal spanner, consider removing the pedal's so that they do not hit the riders legs. Not absolutely necessary. A pedal spacer is lorry more thinner, so don't try the usual spanner. You'd get it for ₹50 in most old school cycle shops. Or fir ₹150-250 online.

These adults who are afraid of small bruises v will be happy risking a couple of fractures if you give them a Duke or RE bull.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:02   #7029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Welcome to the cycling world!
Hey Amitoj. Great to see you here and thanks for your wishes and tips.

I upgraded my bicycle to this one :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5390836 (My Priority Current e-BIKE a.k.a White Lightening Review | A journey to a Fit Life!)

Check it out.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:08   #7030
Senior - BHPian

So here is my new-to-me bike. Since Canyon kept pushing the availability date for its Ultimate CF SL 8 model, I decided I could not wait any longer. To recap, my requirements were a carbon frame road bike with rim brakes and atleast an Ultegra or an equivalent groupset. Since there are hardly any new bikes coming out with rim brakes (not even you, Canyon) I was left to search the used market. That's when I came across Pros Closet, which is kinda like CarMax but for bikes. Finally settled on this:

The Bicycles thread-27e9fddf4f904b718356e0900b070300.jpeg

2018 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Red eTAP. It has a few scratches here and there but overall the bike is in pretty good shape.

For now, I have put my old SPD pedals on the bike but new SPD-SL pedals and shoes are on the way! Ride report will come once I take it out for a ride. It was raining in the morning :(
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-574dba757e7b4fc9abd99fee8586ed75.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-a8b0074abd654cb5b3431234915e5fdf.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-c677fc05cd8c426393346a13119fc5cf.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-cea018a1dc8d4762bc73693e57715fd6.jpeg  

amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 15:02   #7031

Hi admin- can we have a section on "cycles" in the classifieds . The pre-owned market is highly unregulated and bikers are at the mercy of platforms like olx, quickrr etc.
Since the platform already has a section on cars, bikes, parts, etc. having a section on cycles will help us
1. Get new bikers (cyclists) on-board as preowned ones are significantly cheaper
2. Give a new life to the bike
3. Help seasoned bikers grasp attractive deals on premium bikes.

Thanks
Open to discussion
mayankshekharr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 23:57   #7032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2018 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Red eTAP. It has a few scratches here and there but overall the bike is in pretty good shape.
Fantastic bike. I like Cannondales in general. Size 60?! Dang you are tall!
How was Pro's closet's experience? I frequently come across that website but the prices are a notch or two higher than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankshekharr View Post
Hi admin- can we have a section on "cycles" in the classifieds . The pre-owned market is highly unregulated and bikers are at the mercy of platforms like olx, quickrr etc.
Its there...sort of. I had listed my cycle on t-bhp classifieds and even got two hits off of it. In the first drop down select "Other" and in second drop down select "Bicycle" when listing a bicycle for sale or even to search.
I agree a section that says "Bicycles" in the heading would be even better.

Last edited by amol4184 : 2nd September 2022 at 00:04.
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 02:03   #7033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Paresh for some sane advice. Well, I know what you say is absolutely right that food plays a majority role in losing weight but, my lifestyle (hardcore sales where half the time I am entertaining customers) is very different than most people and it's difficult to eliminate.

But, I can defiantly monitor the quantity which I will plan to do in future.
Avinash bhai,

Don't delude yourself TBH. You can stick to diets. It is hard but not impossible. Been there, done that in a similar role till life threw a roller coaster my way. Stuck at 88 kg since May due to job shift and new job load and socializing

But 100 to 88? 81 days flat - Jan 2022 to May 2022.
Name:  thescalemoves.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  82.1 KB

Its not easy but frankly WAY WAY easier than hardcore sales, sir!

What am I on? LCHF one meal a day. I hope to get to 80 shortly after Diwali.

IMHO its like this - folks who are vegetarians do not eat non veg because they are entertaining clients? You need to find your balance but outside of any cheat snacking, you should get to 80s easy - you may take an year for the losses someone would rack up in 2-3 months.

But then, weightloss, like life itself, is not a race!

PS: The extra calories you'd incur in entertaining clients, Ride them off. Buy a cycle trainer and Zwift it. Buy the Cult Fit CultPassLive (our company gives it free to every employee) - I have logged 28 workouts in the last 25 days. I'm off to Goa today but going to do my workouts regardless.

Let us reach the seventies, together, brother!

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd September 2022 at 02:06.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 04:18   #7034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Fantastic bike. I like Cannondales in general. Size 60?! Dang you are tall!
How was Pro's closet's experience? I frequently come across that website but the prices are a notch or two higher than usual.
Haha. Yeah I am 6'2". The Specialized Diverge that I ride regularly is size 61. The rep from Pro's Closet helped me analyze the differences and compare the stack and reach between the two bikes. Their customer support is really good. I had email exchanges over several weeks with the same guy, and when he went on vacation, another one took over and handed me back to the same guy when he returned.
After I placed the order, the bike was shipped next day, in a nice big bike box. It's a different matter that FedEx had several delays.
As for the prices, yes they are on the higher side but they list out all the parts they replace and any scratches that may be there. So, you are paying extra for the customer service and the assurance that the bike will not fall apart the minute you buy it
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:49   #7035
BHPian

Quote:
So here is my new-to-me bike. Since Canyon kept pushing the availability date for its Ultimate CF SL 8 model, ...
Congrats on your new bike .. looks

Btw what are the reasons you prefer rim brakes over disc ?

Most Viewed