Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2019, 09:01   #1
BHPian

A cycling journey from Kerala to Khardung La on a single-speed bicycle!

This story is one of grit and determination by a youngster from Kerala, all of 23 years from a humble background, who cycled all the way from Angamaly to Khardung La. No small feat as he did it on single gear cycle, not something that many would attempt.

This is what the person who made the video, Mr.Rinoy Sebastian, had to say … quote

Last month, while shooting for a project in Leh, my Malayalee instincts took over and I headed to a South Indian restaurant in the local market for some spice and nice. And just like that, Avin and I crossed paths - two strangers in a foreign land, united by their homeland. People and places with stories to tell have always intrigued me. And my conversation with Avin showed me that this determined young man had more to him than what was on the outside. Together, we decided to spend some time, and I fell in love with his journey. His courage and grit showed me that if you really want something in life, you will go get it, no matter how rocky the path may seem. The fact that Avin’s story wasn’t followed or told much unsettled me and I decided to spend my Leh trip to make it right. This documentary is more than just a 23-year-old’s cycle journey from Angamaly to Khardung La, one of the highest motorable places in the world. It is also the story of one man’s persistence, courage and conviction. May his life and journey inspire you to live life to the fullest. With heart full of love, I present to you, ‘The Real Ambili.’
Unquote

Note: AMBILI is a movie which released recently on a person who cycles all the way to Ladakh (its available on Amazon Prime)

Link:

Mods : Kindly do as necessary if not suitable.
sparky@home is offline   (113) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 09:19   #2

re: A cycling journey from Kerala to Khardung La on a single-speed bicycle!

What an amazing journey!! Salute to this humble man for his superhuman effort! and we boast of driving to the khardungla in the safe confines of our cars
abhijeetp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 09:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This story is one of grit and determination by a youngster from Kerala, all of 23 years from a humble background, who cycled all the way from Angamaly to Khardung La. No small feat as he did it on single gear cycle, not something that many would attempt.

Thanks for sharing. This made my day.
Hats off to Avin's determination, and perseverance. I used to crib about my old CI Standard 350's highway manners when I did my first ride to the Himalayas in early 2000s, and now I see Avin (probably, about half my age) cycling away with his grandfather's bicycle, with absolutely no complaints.
Life is beautiful, when you keep it simple. Stories like his, brings in a lot of positivity.
jeeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

He funded this Journey by working jobs which must be out of his comfort zone.To do this just for that Journey, is an amazing thing.

And that Hercules Cycle is heavy around 20-24 kgs, add weight of his belongings and he must have been lugging 35kgs plus his own body weight on Single speed cycle.

To do that on normal roads is herculean, but to do it in rarified air is superhuman.

Kudos to you brother for inspiring us.
silverado is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:00   #5
BHPian

Re: A cycling journey from Kerala to Khardung La on a single-speed bicycle!

Extraordinary effort. Single gear bicycle and so much covered ! I can't pedal even 3 KMs...
Old 6th November 2019, 21:12   #6
BHPian

This is EPIC. Yes, the effort deserves all caps and more publicity.
It will inspire a lot of young generation. I am going to show it to my son with a hope that it eggs him to atleast think and dream.

And to think that we with our AWDs and bullets riding to the Himalayas make us feel like a conqueror..
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 22:47   #7
BHPian

This is incredible. Hats off to the video as well.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:27   #8
KPR
BANNED

Keeping aside the fact that it is unsafe and risky to travel such lengths of NH in a cycle due to zero tolerance shown towards cyclists, this is a fantastic achievement.
Old 7th November 2019, 07:27   #9
BHPian

Thanks for documenting and sharing this. The comments here are an indication of the inspirational nerve that Avin so simply and eloquently hit with his words and his journey.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:17   #10
BHPian

That’s fabulous. Thanks for sharing mate.
Avin’s trip is a true motivation for all of us here. His achievements should be noted down in the history.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:52   #11
BHPian

This is testament to the oft repeated adage that it's the man and not the machine. Riding the length of the country on a pedalled machine is something that is difficult to even comprehend.

In these tough times with emissions grabbing the headlines, Avin's story gives us hope.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:08   #12
BHPian

This must be one heck of a ride. Passion and simplicity at their best. No bling and fan fare too. Just enjoy the journey. Beautiful! Hats off to the grit and endurance too.
opendro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

What an amazing story of grit and determination! To achieve a dream, Avin didn't hesitate to take up any work - a lesson for many of us. Then came his achievement and what an a achievement it is! I wouldn't dream of riding to Manali on a single gear bicycle that weighs so much, let alone Khardung La. That too, carrying a load of belongings. This man deserves a standing ovation.

One thing. After many, many visits to the great mountains over the yeears, I would never use the word "Conquer the Himalayas". You never conquer them. They are just gracious enough to let you enjoy their majesty. Trust me, no one wants to feel their fury.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Wow! To even think of such a feat blows the mind. I watched Ambili on Prime and thought to myself "that's never gonna happen" but I'm happy to eat my words now.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

One thing. After many, many visits to the great mountains over the yeears, I would never use the word "Conquer the Himalayas". You never conquer them. They are just gracious enough to let you enjoy their majesty. Trust me, no one wants to feel their fury.

Beautifully put. True, I have never been able to come to terms with the idea of conquering anything, especially mother nature.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks