Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2020, 08:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Life in the slow lane, at 20 kmph

What.a.lovely.trip! And what beautiful writing. This is one of the best pieces of travel writing. Treasure !!
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 11:00   #17
BANNED

Thank you for sharing about this long a trip in an entry level machine. I too am planning to do a good trip on my little foldie one day. This is a good inspiration.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 13:23   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Members of this forum (self included) are usually of the opinion that speeds in less than 3 digits are rather inappropriate for human existence.

Thank you guys. You are my heroes.[/left]
One word for this. Sumptuous.

If the travelogue is this good, how good must have the actual travel been? That's what I am thinking. Nicely done sir. Very nicely done.

The narrative is lucid and fast paced, and yet full of delightful flourishes. The small historical detours that you have taken in the writing have really given body to this piece and served to enrich the reading experience for us. Those same detours could easily have become laboursome for the reader had you indulged yourself just a tad bit more. So, congratulations on striking that exact balance. Great job.

The pictures too are fantastic. Tamil Nadu is an underrated gem for history buffs. Most travel sites stop at just the temples. But, like you have demonstrated, it is possible to come away enchanted with just small investments of curiosity. Life must have been nothing short of epic in the yesteryears.

Incidentally, everyone in the family knows that I wish I was born a couple of hundred (or a few thousand) years before I did. So, believe it or not, my mother actually sends me scanned BW pictures of life in India in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. During mind-numbing work days, I have now found a way to decompress by thinking about my extended family living in the towns and cities of India during the turn of the last century. The power of a parent never ceases to amaze me. Mine found a way to reach thru time and space and the clutter of modern living to help me keep my sanity by talking about a slower time. No, the irony is not lost on me that a parent is helping her child navigate modern life by talking about the past, and doing it all on the ultra modern platform of Whatsapp. Such is life, I suppose.

Coming back to your piece, I have to also congratulate you on pulling off a bicycle trip of this length. Good for you to be fit enough and to have had the time to do this.

Finally, it is heartening to note that this forum is fast filling up with contributions from gentlemen of a certain vintage. First, there was Ganapathy with his Dominar (Ruminations of an ageing wannabe Biker); and now you with your Montra Trance Pro. Keeping 'em coming I say. We need to hear from more people who have lived longer than us and who now have the time to experience and expound. Paradoxically it is you seniors who have made the forum feel more alive in my opinion. For a while there, we were literally being run over (pun intended) by the Fast and Furious gang. While as fun as that is, life is also thoroughly enjoyable in the slow lane.

P.S.

Just so you know, a few of us notice the little details in the frame, like your screen-name for instance. My wife caught me smiling at the paper in 2015 when I read about American Pharoah. Then I got too busy to even notice Justify in 2018.
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 13:26   #19
BHPian

Wow, what an inspiring and well written thread! Coincidentally, I just gave my cycle for service yesterday after a year of letting it idle. Your thread now reminds me why I began to cycle again in the first place and is motivating me to just go out there and pedal. Your idea of choosing a flat track for the journey is a stroke of genius and I will do the same for building my endurance. I absolutely loved the historical references. Kudos!
Quote:
Ponniyin Selvan is one of the great historical novels in Tamil.
@Secretariat: Avar Ponniyin Selvan, aana neenga Cyclin' Selvan

For the non-tamil readers, this novel is a legend in TN. It was written under the pen name "Kalki" and the author was MS Subbalakshmi's husband. Back in the day it came as a series in a Tamil magazine and there used to be fights over who got to read it first. Today, the best English translation is by CV Karthik Narayan (who is an automotive components manufacturer). The books are available on Amazon and are an absolute must read to know about the Choza empire and pre-Mughal history in general.

Quote:
What a tragedy that India with far superior numbers in the army and reasonable military might fell because of all the divisions and petty squabbling. India was not a case like Latin America where spears faced guns and horses. This was far more equal. And yet.
Very true. We have always been like a collection of mini countries which have been geographically located together. It is a lack of overall co-ordination and unity which led to colonization, IMO (I know there are many other reasons but this I think is the biggest). Off topic, the much hated Raja Jaichand's treachery which is said to have laid the seeds of foreign rule is actually a completely fictionalized account in a poem Prithviraj Raso! The real Raja Jaichand had actually died fighting Mohammed Ghori.

Quote:
There was a huge outpouring of protests all across Tamil Nadu. Governments intervened and have allowed the show to go on, but the legal situation is still nebulous.
Thank you for giving a frank picture about what really happens in Jallikattu. The protests were unique because they were student/youngsters-led and they actually prevented any political party from trying to hijack the agenda.

Quote:
It is justifiably known as Iruttukadai... an unflavoured halwa.
Any pics of the shop? I always thought the halwa has a very distinct flavour. Guess I have been having the fakes then.

Quote:
(gurus in the Vaishnavaite sect are called jeers)
The Jeeyars are gurus of one Vaishnavite theology/tradition. There are others too like the Andavan and Azhagiyasingar. All are however Sri Ramanujacharyas followers, no?
Apologies for hijacking your travelogue.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th January 2020 at 19:33. Reason: fixed the smiley
Iyencar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 13:56   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
For the non-tamil readers, this novel is a legend in TN. It was written under the pen name "Kalki" and the author was MS Subbalakshmi's husband. Back in the day it came as a series in a Tamil magazine and there used to be fights over who got to read it first. Today, the best English translation is by CV Karthik Narayan (who is an automotive components manufacturer). The books are available on Amazon and are an absolute must read to know about the Choza empire and pre-Mughal history in general.
Sir,

Apologies for my impertinence. But, 'Ponniyin Selvan' was most certainly not written by MSS's husband. I think you are confusing Kalki Krishnamurthy with Kalki Sadasivam. The latter got the title because he founded Kalki magazine with Krishnamurthy. But, it is Krishnamurthy who wrote Ponniyin Selvan, and it is to him the the informal title of "Kalki" generally refers.

Cheers

Last edited by mohansrides : 25th January 2020 at 14:05.
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 14:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Incredibly good travelogue - a wonderful journey and wonderfully written. I could at last picture myself among the green paddy fields and wonderful heritage homes from your description.

I find it even more amazing that you did a journey like this unsupported and solo. Somehow, that seems extreme to me. I do a bit of cycling myself, and my family finds my trips from Parel to Marine Drive scary, and discourages solo trips. And the idea of cycling with saddle bags seems very tough as well - my focus while cycling is always to minimise weight on the cycle.

Hats off once again, both for the trip and the writing.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th January 2020 at 15:04. Reason: edited
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 14:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Sir,

Apologies for my impertinence. But, 'Ponniyin Selvan' was most certainly not written by MSS's husband. I think you are confusing Kalki Krishnamurthy with Kalki Sadasivam. The latter got the title because he founded Kalki magazine with Krishnamurthy. But, it is Krishnamurthy who wrote Ponniyin Selvan, and it is to him the the informal title of "Kalki" generally refers.

Cheers
Yikes, Thanks for pointing that out! I should have checked online before posting...hope the rest of my post is factually correct
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 14:49   #23
BHPian

Wow, very beautiful and delightful reading. As i read i felt like i lived it through my imaginations. I rate the thread a five star one.

Thank you for this articulation,
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 15:23   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Yikes, Thanks for pointing that out! I should have checked online before posting...hope the rest of my post is factually correct
You are welcome.

It would be too much of a good thing if two giants of Tamil culture were from the same family, that too in the same generation, married to each other no less, don't you think!! That's what made me investigate the matter a bit more.

Plus, there is the fact that people in the family have talked about Kalki Krishnamurthy many times. So, I was taken aback when you said that he was married to MSS.

Also, while he has no notable work of his own, Mr. Sadasivam himself was a famous figure in certain circles. For a while in the early 70s, my aunt was a working carnatic musician. Then, there is the fact that my wife's own uncle was a much awarded violinist who accompanied MSS in most of her concerts. So, on occasion, I have heard mention of the fact that MSS's real strength came from Mr. Sadasivam. It makes total sense, come to think of it. I mean, back in the day, if a diminutive and conservative South Indian woman had to reach the echelons of successes that MSS did in her career, it certainly could not have happened without the Mister's strong support.

Let me leave you with one fun fact. In the 70s and 80s, almost everyone in Mumbai who wanted to learn Carnatic music did so under a little known luminary in Matunga called Alamelu Ammal who, wait for it....... is Hariharan's mother She is the one who planted the seeds of Carnatic music in this town which grew roots and a large network which ultimately produced gems like Hariharan himself, and probably Shankar Mahadevan.

It is amazing the kind of connections that one will uncover if one invests him/herself just a little bit.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th January 2020 at 04:33. Reason: As requested
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 15:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
One word for this. Sumptuous.
If the travelogue is this good, how good must have the actual travel been? That's what I am thinking. Nicely done sir. Very nicely done.
Thank you for your remarks.

Quote:
The pictures too are fantastic. Tamil Nadu is an underrated gem for history buffs.
There is much history in TN and this is often unknown as most of Indian history we study in school is Delhi centric. There is more to TN than temples, of course.

Quote:
Finally, it is heartening to note that this forum is fast filling up with contributions from gentlemen of a certain vintage.
Yes, a few of us are here to tiresomely remind everybody within hearing distance, of the good old days ! Be careful of encouraging us, for we are very prone to believing that flattery is true

Quote:
Wow, what an inspiring and well written thread! Coincidentally, I just gave my cycle for service yesterday after a year of letting it idle. Your thread now reminds me why I began to cycle again in the first place and is motivating me to just go out there and pedal. Your idea of choosing a flat track for the journey is a stroke of genius and I will do the same for building my endurance. I absolutely loved the historical references. Kudos!
@Secretariat: Avar Ponniyin Selvan, aana neenga Cyclin' Selvan
Thank you for your encouraging remarks and and all the additions to the perspective. Rather revelling in the anointed title of Cyclin' Selvan !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Incredibly good travelogue - a wonderful journey and wonderfully written. I could at last picture myself among the green paddy fields and wonderful heritage homes from your description.
Thank you. Actually Parel to Marine Drive is quite a risky cycling route ! I always struggle when I cycle inside Bangalore. But, out into the open roads , away from cities, cycling is very enjoyable and not risky at all. Weight is a huge factor of course and I became an absolute Nazi in weighing everything in my baggage and reducing. The rest is just higher fitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Wow, very beautiful and delightful reading. As i read i felt like i lived it through my imaginations. I rate the thread a five star one.
Glad that you enjoyed the narrative and thanks for the comment.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 15:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Also, while he has no notable work of his own, Mr. Sadasivam himself was a famous figure in certain circles... I mean, back in the day, if a diminutive and conservative South Indian woman had to reach the echelons of successes that MSS did in her career, it certainly could not have happened without the Mister's strong support.
Have you read her biography?. It corroborates what you say. He seems to have been a huge influence in her life
Quote:
Let me leave you with one fun fact. In the 70s and 80s, almost everyone in Mumbai who wanted to learn Carnatic music did so under a little known luminary in Matunga called Alamelu Ammal...
3rd gen Matunga (ex) resident here who also learnt Carnatic and played cricket with Hariharan's son Akshay a couple of times...too many coincidences so let's move this conversation to PMs as I have a feeling we are going to have a long conversation.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 15:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Day 4 : Where Ponniyin Selvan began

Ponniyin Selvan is one of the great historical novels in Tamil. It tells the story of the early days of the man who was to become Rajaraja Chola, one of the greatest kings of South India of the Chola dynasty. The story begins on the banks of the Veeranam Lake, which is where I have reached today.
So it turns out that there are old blokes here who have read the classics. Ponniyin Selvan was so nauseatingly reprinted in Kalki that few aficionados stopped buying the magazine . A masterpiece by a Genius ( Krishnamurthy that is ). To weave a story line based so chronologically correct with historic events and unforgettable characters was a great achievement in Tamil literature. In addition to the very interesting story, it was the great art of Maniam ( TS Subramanian) and Padmavasan of later editions that made reading this story so addictive and fascinating. I hear now that a film is going to be based on it. I hope that they don't make a Bahubali out of it.

Quote:
Day 14 :
Threesome - Dai Tamizh pesarraru da ! ( Surprise that this strange creature is speaking Tamil)
Threesome - Ungala paththa Hindi karrar mathiri irukuthu.
(You look like a Hindiwallah) . This has never ceased to amaze me. How is a Tamilian supposed to look and do I not look like that ??)
Ahh yes. I am guessing that you are of fairer complexion. Such oddities rarely go unnoticed in proud Tamil Heartlands.

Quote:
Threesome - Seri unga native enna (where do you live )
Me - Bangalore (Could have said anything, but I always say Bangalore since I know what is coming next)
Threesome - Oh neenga thaan Cauveri thanni vidamattengale (Oh you are the ones who don't release Cauvery water).
That was fishing in troubled waters isn't it?. Anyways good that it ended well.

I would say its one of the best travelogues i have read here. In addition to being a fitness enthusiast, you also seem to be a heritage / history man. Good passions. All the very best.

Last edited by srini1785 : 25th January 2020 at 16:17.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 16:34   #28
BHPian

What a quaint story! Thank you for sharing.

Your chats with strangers reminds me of a time I went cycling through half of Goa with YHAI. I would stop at people's thatched houses to refill my water bottle. They'd ask if I was being paid to cycle so far. I'd sheepishly reply that I was the one paying. They looked at me as if I were crazy or stupid or both

People of different means look at common activities like cycling with totally different perspectives.
evil_grin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 18:01   #29
BHPian

Wow, what lucid & easy going narration supplemented with healthy dose of pictures & history.

I am also a cycling buff & could relate to every feeling you described. Seriously floored by your writing & this, certainly is one the best travelogues I have read in sometime.

Rated a well deserved 5*, Thanks for sharing
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 18:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your remarks.

There is much history in TN and this is often unknown as most of Indian history we study in school is Delhi centric. There is more to TN than temples, of course.

Thank you. Actually Parel to Marine Drive is quite a risky cycling route ! I always struggle when I cycle inside Bangalore. But, out into the open roads , away from cities, cycling is very enjoyable and not risky at all. Weight is a huge factor of course and I became an absolute Nazi in weighing everything in my baggage and reducing. The rest is just higher fitness.

Glad that you enjoyed the narrative and thanks for the comment.
This was indeed a very enjoyable read (with the delightful photos). It's almost like a "heritage" route. True throwback to the past. One wonders if this was a one-off ride you've done? The inspiration, planning and other modalities- do share some details if time permits.

Having restarted cycling after a 15 year gap, I do enjoy it. Just did a 300km brevet (melkote) last week.

On a related note, a friend of mine did a tour of malaysia 2 weeks back (his original plan was to cycle from Singapore to Bangalore but he didn't get a thai visa, unfortunately, so had to abandon).
bugatti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed