Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds

Atlas Cycles - a name that became a synonym for bicycles in India - has shut its last manufacturing unit in Sahibabad, just outside the national capital, citing lack of funds to run the factory.
Quote:
Its CEO N P Singh Rana, however, insists the shutdown is only temporary, and the company will resume operations once it is able to raise around Rs 50 crore by selling surplus land.

The company shut the factory on June 3, which ironically was also happened to be the World Bicycle Day. It laid off 431 remaining employees, though Rana insists they continue to be on the roll of the company and will be paid "lay-off wages" upon marking attendance daily.
While he did not elaborate on the payment to employees, "lay-off wages" typically equal to 50 per cent of basic salary and dearness allowance.
Source: https://www.indiatvnews.com/business...g-plant-623697

Last edited by Samurai : 6th June 2020 at 09:29. Reason: Avoid quoting the whole article
roby_dk is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 08:19   #2
BHPian

re: Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds

I sincerely wish Atlas cycles a big 'All the best' to resume the production as soon as possible.
Atlas cycles was and I believe still is a big name in Indian context.
Thier products have had good quality and affordability.

My first cycle was an Atlas too!! An Atlas Rebel ATB.

There are many such businesses reeling under pressure and I sure we will be seeing a lot of such news in coming future, all because of this stupid virus and strategies to defend it.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th June 2020 at 14:05. Reason: As requested.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

When I hear the word Atlas Cycles, I think of the beautiful blue Concorde racer that my friend's parents had bought him in the 80s. He used to get it to school and all of us boys wanted one. Here's the ad that was run on TV and in movie halls.

Somehow, the brand just faded away after that. They were just too slow to respond to a market that's fast changing - much like Hindustan Motors or Premier. On the other hand, TI Cycles and Hero are doing much better. TI started importing bikes from top global manufacturers and also introduced the Montra brand which has bikes that are acceptable to the modern market. Hero bought out Firefox - which is much like Montra.

Atlas was relegated to the roadster (ghoda cycle) market. There too, it didn't have the market to itself. TI and Hero are strong there as well. Sad to see Atlas shut operations. I would love to see them back in action and bring out some modern products that command higher margins.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th June 2020 at 13:16.
Aditya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 15:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Atlas was relegated to the roadster (ghoda cycle) market.
Surprised to see that these cycles are still around:

Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds-atlas.jpg

Some 25 years ago, these cycles were priced at Rs. 600 to Rs. 800. Look at the price now!
SmartCat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 17:52   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Atlas cycles and Hero cycles and of course BSA etc, all icons of our growing up years in the 1970’s,1980’s and 1990’s. It’s so sad to read of such old and great Indian Brands shutting shop. In the old days I remember the bicycles used to have a simple mechanical dynamo which used to power the headlight. Nowadays with all the fancy bikes, one cant even get a simple dynamo like that.
Just search the internet for pictures of India and China in the 1970’s. Remarkable that the large majority of the population just got about Everywhere on bicycles in those days.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 18:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Remarkable that the large majority of the population just got about Everywhere on bicycles in those days.
Look beyond India and China - into Europe. All going back to Bicycle. Saves Carbon imprint besides keeps body fit and healthy. If our Government infuses money into Bicycle industry and promotes its use, there could be significant saving from the health sector.
But, unfortunately, Cyclist have the shortest life span if they ride on Roads that are owned by crazy drivers who have no respect for the traffic rules and are best in 'Hit and Run'.
Amrik Singh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Unlike some peeps here whose first bike was an Atlas, it was the last bicycle I ever rode. As I bid adieu to the bike -- an Atlas Tango (red and black) -- back in 2000, it marked my transition from adolescence to adulthood and three years later I was riding a Karizma! Good Times indeed. I hope Atlas bounces back soon!
captain.torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 23:38   #8
BHPian

Re: Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds

It's not very good news about Atlas cycles.

Slightly OT, but totally surprised that cycles are evoked as a thing of the past ... Cycles are everywhere in Indian roads. Just not the kind we discuss in the bicycles thread here.
As an anecdote, I checked out 3 brand new Roadsters(the old sturdy kind everyone recognises) bought by people I know around my apartment in the last 6 months or so. A lot of people commute on cycles even in our cities; we just don't see it. More widely used in rural India too.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:03   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An icon indeed! Cycle sales are strong in India. It's a problem with the "company", and not the "market". Because of their brand name, it makes a strong case for someone to buy it and rejuvenate the company. With the current economic situation, one could get Atlas for a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
When I hear the word Atlas Cycles, I think of the beautiful blue Concorde racer that my friend's parents had bought him in the 80s.
I had two! The first was stolen when parked at my school, so my Dad (God bless his soul) got me a second one. I absolutely loved it - was like the "City Vtec" for a school kid. After 2 years of owning it, I'd stripped down the paint myself and painted it black. Was admittedly a shoddy job, but I took pleasure in the fact that it was a DIY.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite sad to see this, but not surprised. Atlas was loosing ground steadily over the last decade and more to the other established brands in mainstream cycles like Hero, Hercules (TI Cycles group in general). Since around 2000 or so, their product line up and started stagnating and it was never updated to contemporary standards to appeal to the younger generation who tend to be the main drivers and margin generators for cycle companies in 21st century.

Even the logo & emblem mold got a bit outdated. If someone restarts it, they better revamp the branding.

Atlas cycles failed to realize that the Goldline Super & Hero Jet category cycles got replaced by Hero Splendour and similar commuter motorcycles in late 90s. They should have changed with time to refocus target customer base.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

2 years back I was searching for a bicycle for my daughter, she was too tall for kids cycles but not enough for a full size. Guess what was the cheapest one available? Still sold at the same price by the way!

Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds-img_20200608_100242.jpg

Btwin! From decathlon. For its price it has everything, and you can customise it in 30 mins and buy from decathlon store. How is it possible that this bicycle that has better quality bits imported into India , sold under a premium brand at prices lower than Hero? I have no idea. But I think import duty on bicycles and their parts is 0. Imagine if this was the case with cars, we all will be driving copies of Range rover and Rolls-Royce from you know where.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:38   #12
BHPian

Rode this one recently just before lockdown. It was from decathlon, Model Name B-Twin Riverside 100. Very reasonable and an absolute gem on roads. The gearshifts are buttter smooth.

Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds-cycle-1-1.jpeg

Iconic Atlas Cycles shuts operations due to lack of funds-cycle-1-2.jpeg
Abbas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:51   #13
BHPian

I am shocked to see the post and the most ironic thing was the last manufacturing unit was shut on World Bicycle Day (June 3rd).

I still remember this bicycle where I learned how to ride one, I was too short for this bicycle, yet I used to put my legs between the frame and pedal it. Yes, that's how I rode it.

I still cannot believe that Atlas has finally decided to pedal its way to the history. I pray that the company's financial position should improve and the legend should come back.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 22:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

I really hope someone buys & rejuvenates this legendary company. I ride one of these in my village and love the smoothness despite it being over 2 decades old.

The Atlas bicycles are the testament to the fact that:
Quote:
Complexity is the enemy of both reliability
@smartcat: I'm actually shocked at the price. Is the online price jacked up? AFAIK, considering their target market, these bicycles are pretty cheap.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 23:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
@smartcat: I'm actually shocked at the price. Is the online price jacked up? AFAIK, considering their target market, these bicycles are pretty cheap.
Yeah, looks like prices have been jacked up on Amazon.in. I found the same model on Gaadi.com for Rs. 4,000.
http://www.gaadi.com/cycles/model-pr..._duty_55_60_cm

Indiamart.com lists the wholesale price. It is around Rs. 2,200 per piece
https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail...835320891.html
However, within the roadster range, there is Super 22, Super 55 (heavy duty apparently ) and what not. Not sure which sub-model is listed on Indiamart.

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th June 2020 at 23:11.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed