Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 08:17   #31
BHPian

Re: A Bicycle Tour in the Eastern Ghats of Andhra!

What a journey, what lovely pictures, and what a write-up! I read this thread two days back and didn't comment because I was too busy going through it multiple times.

As a newbie cyclist (started in January this year), this thread is an inspiration for me. Thank you for this, sir!
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 16:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
...but steep enough for me to be almost gasping for breath, so the return took almost 3 times longer. You climb about 275m in a distance of 7km.

What defense or protection methods did you carry for animal attacks?
that is what my friends and me experienced when we first climbed Nandi Hills in Bangalore during one of our first rides. We thought our lungs would explode if we don't stop!

We did not have any special equipment for animal attack. We feared encountering bears and dogs are always a threat to cyclists. Just had in mind what was suggested in the internet. Which is usually stay calm, don't run, no shouting, try to appear taller than the bear etc. Slightly different for dogs. You need to gather all the courage in the world, stop and shout confidently at them.
In the hindsight we should have carried a pepper spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
What a journey, what lovely pictures, and what a write-up! I read this thread two days back and didn't comment because I was too busy going through it multiple times.

As a newbie cyclist (started in January this year), this thread is an inspiration for me. Thank you for this, sir!
Glad you liked it. Good luck for your cycling journey!
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:59   #33

Stunning photographs and loved the detailed narrative. What a thrilling experience to ride in such pristine beauty. Thanks for sharing. Loved reading it.
Pintz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 16:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nicely photographed and narrated, i would love to have such a trip with cycling friends. But then my friends are more of brevet kind, 300-500 Kms in a day or two.
Old 16th June 2020, 19:18   #35
BHPian

Thank you for such a beautiful thread. I got lost in the pictures. It is refreshing. Nature is at its best during the time. Life is simple outside the cities.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 16th June 2020, 22:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Incredible journey! I would love to do something like this. Gorgeous scenery.
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your story and looking at the images. Quite the adventure, well done!

Jeroen
Old 17th June 2020, 11:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Nicely photographed and narrated, i would love to have such a trip with cycling friends. But then my friends are more of brevet kind, 300-500 Kms in a day or two.
Have you tried the brevet agspins? I did a 200km brevet and took full 13:30 hrs to complete it. That's a lot of distance to really enjoy the route for me. Never tried again. But if you enjoy riding long hours, it is fun doing with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Thank you for such a beautiful thread. I got lost in the pictures. It is refreshing. Nature is at its best during the time. Life is simple outside the cities.

Regards,
Krishna.
Thanks Krishna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Incredible journey! I would love to do something like this. Gorgeous scenery.
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your story and looking at the images. Quite the adventure, well done!

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen!
Old 17th June 2020, 12:50   #38
BHPian

Wow, what a travelogue. Loved the narrative & pictures are stunning to say the least. You have truly portrayed the beauty of rural landscapes of this part of our country. Thanks a lot for sharing. Looking forward to more such travelogues from you.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Papr23, excellent thread and wallpaper class pics. That's some trip you undertook. I'm from the city and I haven't explored any of these except Araku. Someday, may be. Not sure if I can pull it off on a bicycle. Maybe on an Enfield Bullet.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 14:19   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Dude you are a ROCK STAR!

Exploring a region where there's not much information (as compared to the Western Ghats which has been done to death thanks to all the Bangalore-based "travel-bloggers"!) and sharing it with us, that too on a cycle, low-impact tourism, interacting with the locals.

Thank you thank you thank you for posting! (With much envious admiration!)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:18   #41

What a travelogue and superb photos!
I have been to Maredumilli couple of times by car , in my last visit to Maredumilli last monsoon we stayed for 2 nights (1 night at Vanavihari and other night at Junge Star Eco resort) but missed going to Donkarayi-Sileru. From your photos it looks like Donkarayi-Sileru section is more scenic.

Will plan another trip once all the travel restrictions are removed.

Are there any other decent accommodation options near Donkarayi-Sileru other than APGENCO guesthouse?
abhijeetp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 22:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Papr23, excellent thread and wallpaper class pics. That's some trip you undertook. I'm from the city and I haven't explored any of these except Araku. Someday, may be. Not sure if I can pull it off on a bicycle. Maybe on an Enfield Bullet.
Thanks pgsagar and hope you drive there soon! I feel the route is more enjoyable on a 2-wheeler than a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Dude you are a ROCK STAR!

Exploring a region where there's not much information (as compared to the Western Ghats which has been done to death thanks to all the Bangalore-based "travel-bloggers"!) and sharing it with us, that too on a cycle, low-impact tourism, interacting with the locals.

Thank you thank you thank you for posting! (With much envious admiration!)
Thanks am1m!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetp View Post
What a travelogue and superb photos!
I have been to Maredumilli couple of times by car , in my last visit to Maredumilli last monsoon we stayed for 2 nights (1 night at Vanavihari and other night at Junge Star Eco resort) but missed going to Donkarayi-Sileru. From your photos it looks like Donkarayi-Sileru section is more scenic.

Will plan another trip once all the travel restrictions are removed.

Are there any other decent accommodation options near Donkarayi-Sileru other than APGENCO guesthouse?
Thanks abhijeetp! I don't think you will find any in Donkarayi. I could see few hotels in Sileru marked in Google Maps. Don't know how good they are.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bicycle Tour in the Eastern Ghats of Andhra

Hi papr23,
Incredible ride. You inspire me to do the same. I've been dreaming of riding from the Bay Area to LA but just haven't got to planning it with work and limited holidays. When I get a chance, I'd love to do this particular ride you've accomplished. PM me your Strava ID- would love to compare notes with a fellow cyclist.

Quick question: What's with this APGENCO hotels (or guest houses) and requiring references to stay ? Do they have limited rooms or is it just good old red tape due to the troubled history in the area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Day5: Sileru to Chintapalle 70mt with a total ascent and descent of 1300mt and 900mt
Did you mean 70km here?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:43   #44
BHPian

Re: Bicycle Tour in the Eastern Ghats of Andhra

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi papr23,
Incredible ride. You inspire me to do the same. I've been dreaming of riding from the Bay Area to LA but just haven't got to planning it with work and limited holidays. When I get a chance, I'd love to do this particular ride you've accomplished. PM me your Strava ID- would love to compare notes with a fellow cyclist.

Quick question: What's with this APGENCO hotels (or guest houses) and requiring references to stay ? Do they have limited rooms or is it just good old red tape due to the troubled history in the area?

Did you mean 70km here?
Thanks landcruiser123. Its been few years since I logged into Strava.
APGENCO is Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation. The guest houses are meant to be used by its employees or their families for a token amount. As we had no other option, we stayed at the guest house.

Yes, I meant 70km. Thanks!
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 22:01   #45
BHPian

Such a beautiful travelogue to read during these semi-lockdown days.
Awesome pictures too.
Did you pick up the mustard flower flavoured Honey? If yes, was it slightly bitter as advertised?

Do continue making such trips and writing these travelogues. Your photos are worthy of putting up as laptop wallpapers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks