Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 20:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown

According to a media report, sales of cycles have gone up in Bangalore.

It is said that enquires for cycles have gone up by 60% compared to pre-lockdown days. 50% of the enquiries are reported to have been converted to sales.

A cycle store typically stocks cycles ranging from Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 80,000. However, replenishing stocks sold could be an issue as there have been no shipment of cycles for the past 3 months.

Most customers pick up entry-level bicycles as they want to get into cycling for exercise after sitting at home during the lockdown. The trend has been picking up as gyms and swimming pools are closed and as commuters are trying to avoid using public transport.

Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown-20200427_074843_hdr1.jpg

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 14th June 2020 at 20:01.
blackwasp is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:20   #2

Re: Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown

Cycle sales will definitely go up post lockdown. The main reason I believe will be the added benefit of exercising plus it helps to avoid taking an auto or a cab for a short distance travel. Since the summer season is over in most places, cycles sales are definitely going to increase.
As it happens, it was international bicycle day on June 3rd.
Aceyadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:49   #3
BHPian

Good news.

However, I am afraid of the notorious street robberies of Bangalore that makes cyclist particularly vulnerable. For example I always wanted to pedal to office but I am afraid because there is a lone stretch I cannot avoid. Some of our colleagues have been attacked in the past, some of them even got harrassed (undressed).

Given the pandemic and state of economy, I guess thugs will be desperate and with masks on they can get away without much trouble.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 14th June 2020 at 20:59.
Thermodynamics is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

At least some good came out of lock-down, I'm happy. Better to get some exercise now that gyms/pools are closed.
Old 14th June 2020, 21:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Elsewhere in the world (US, HK esp) bicycles are being seen as being associated with protesters, and are being targeted by the police! Both the bike, and the person riding it!

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 22:48   #6
BHPian

Well count me as one of the people who bought the cycle in this lock down and started cycling. It's been more than a week and i have really started enjoying the morning breeze gushing through my hair while pedaling on my humble steed.
Avg distance covered everyday is around 10 km in an hour with few stops. Target is to double the distance within the same time frame.

Yours Truly with his new acquisition
Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown-img20200606wa0001-1.jpg
Highh5 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:05   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just like I commented on the motorcycle sales thread, everyone wants to avoid public transportation as much as possible. Distances of 3 - 4 km are so easily doable on a cycle by just about anyone. Cheap, healthy & quicker than walking - what's not to like? These are a boon for short commutes.

For the less privileged though, this might just become the only way they can get to work safely.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:37   #8
KPR
BANNED

Buying cycles are fine. But with every fortnight unlocking of roads, the same buses, lorries or any thing motor powered will kick cyclist almost out of road everyday. That is India for us. Cycles are best to be enjoyed in countryside or very early morning rides (before 6:30 AM). I personally feel that local government missed great opportunity to promote cycling in their respective cities by earmarking cycling tracks during lock down. All the credit goes to those migrant labors for free promotion of long distance cycling.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Not sure about the sales here as most bicycle shops haven't opened yet, but I have definitely seen an increase in recreational cycling on Mumbai streets since the lock-down relaxation. I think the government notification specifically promoting cycling an effective method for social distancing while being outdoors has helped in convincing people to get their bicycles on the road. I too had finalized purchasing one in March 2020 after a lot of research, but just a couple of days later came the lock-down

Now with monsoon having arrived in Mumbai, sadly I will have to postpone my purchase.
Old 15th June 2020, 20:58   #10
BHPian

, but still relevant: please remain careful about performing hard physical work and strong breathing while wearing masks.

One jogger's lung(s) collapsed after jogging with a face mask. Due to the extra filters present in one, the entry of air into the lungs is impaired, hence the latter have to perform more work to collect the equivalent amount of air, and it may not receive as much air as is properly proportionate with the lungs' expansion during inhalation.
BashfulKlutz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 09:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashfulKlutz View Post
, but still relevant: please remain careful about performing hard physical work and strong breathing while wearing masks.

One jogger's lung(s) collapsed after jogging with a face mask. Due to the extra filters present in one, the entry of air into the lungs is impaired, hence the latter have to perform more work to collect the equivalent amount of air, and it may not receive as much air as is properly proportionate with the lungs' expansion during inhalation.
Use of masks during cycling should be avoided as wearing a mask can keep your exhalations closer to you. A mask tight enough to protect you will be hard to breathe through, and the build-up of moisture inside the mask will end up making it less effective and uncomfortable.

Alternative one can use a gaiter or a buff which are designed with moisture-wicking technology, which prevents perspiration from building beneath the garment.

As far as cycling goes, the fear of attack by dogs early morning, or someone returning home at 5am from a late night party and running over has always kept me away from this activity.
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

The sales mostly will be in the recreational, fitness category. Motorcycles sales will be for personal transportation. I dont think atleast in big cities, less privileged people use bicylces for transportation. They will still be using buses.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

There is more to it. I witnessed more cyclists than usual during the lockdown every time I have stepped out for a jog and the tribe continues to grow.

Most realised that one way to stay safe(fit) is to regularly exercise and cycling was one of them. So there was this sudden realization among the populace that they need to cycle and for that they need to buy one!

Lastly, we can partly attribute this surge in demand due to cycles being a safer choice to head out during lock down times than a motorized vehicle that cops could confiscate.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:50   #14
BHPian

I got back to cycling after 12 years in 2016. I had bought a Hercules Dynamite 18 speed for 7.5 k (cheapest gear cycle for my size ) Since then used to go for weekend rides 15-20 kms. With lockdown have been alternating between a 5 km run & a 10 km cycle ride.

I desperately want to upgrade to a Trek FX to get into longer rides as my current one is heavy & has all kinds of riding inefficiencies like springs etc.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:19   #15
BHPian

I do use cycle for the short distance visits. So believe wearing a mask is not an issue. And its not uncomfortable either for such short visits. My kid and I also go for those weekend recreational rides in the mornings. I am not able to dare to commute to office on cycle yet, given the traffic conditions here in Bengaluru. However few of my colleagues routinely commute to office on their bicycles.
tristis2008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed