Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 10:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

10 BIS-certified reflectors mandatory on bicycles from Jan 2021

According to a media report, 10 BIS-certified reflectors will be mandatory on bicycles from January 2021.

10 BIS-certified reflectors mandatory on bicycles from Jan 2021-rapide_21smatt_copper.jpg

The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) had made a set of 10 reflectors mandatory as per IS/ISO 6742-2:2015 on new adult bicycles from September 1, 2016. The report states that this rule was implemented by the industry but there was no permanent mechanism to monitor and penalize the violators. Now, as per the rule, violators will be punishable under the BIS Act.

As per government data, 3,673 cyclists died in road accidents in 2018. The new regulation will ensure the safety of riders.

In India, nearly 2 crore bicycles are sold every year. Punjab accounts for 75% of the country's total bicycle production and 92% of bicycle parts' manufacturing.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 10 BIS-certified reflectors mandatory on bicycles from Jan 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, 10 BIS-certified reflectors will be mandatory on bicycles from January 2021.
Most cyclists on our road are not for fitness and fun, that is their main mode of transport. These cyclists mostly do not wear helmets and cycles are not well maintained.

This is a good move, apart from this wearing a reflective vest should be made mandatory for all cyclists which will improve their visibility by huge margin.
silverado is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

I already count 10 in almost any cycle. 2 on each wheel (2x2), 2 on each pedal (2x2), 1 towards the front & 1 at the rear. Thats 10. I'm sure most cycles already had these. Additionally I have a long strip of reflector sticker on each bar.

They'll soon come out with rules wrt protective gear i.e. helmets, elbow & knee guards and gloves.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:59   #4
BHPian

The reflectors has to be on bicycle where they are visible to others.
A tiny red reflector under the seat is barely noticeable.

The front white reflector is barely visible.

The wheels have orange bright reflectors but from my experience, people look in front of road and not (usually) down. They get missed on first sight.

-----------------------------------------------
My tip to rider is - Wear a safety vest.
It makes a difference!
procrastinator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I already count 10 in almost any cycle. 2 on each wheel (2x2), 2 on each pedal (2x2), 1 towards the front & 1 at the rear. Thats 10. I'm sure most cycles already had these. Additionally I have a long strip of reflector sticker on each bar.

They'll soon come out with rules wrt protective gear i.e. helmets, elbow & knee guards and gloves.
Foreign brands do not include any of these. You can check the pics here
The dealer included reflectors among other accessories as complimentary when I purchased my bike.

Looks like some of the Indian brands are also skipping the reflectors. Pics here
Old 13th July 2020, 14:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move. Cyclist are vulnerable, even more so at night. Countries that take cycling seriously will implement such mandatory requirements over time

Dutch bicycles have to comply with several rules:

Requirements for bicycle lights and reflectors

Bicycle lights:
Front light - white or yellow
Back light - red
Lights have to shine straight ahead
Flashing lights are not allowed
Loose lights (i.e. not fixed to the bike) are allowed if properly visible and attached to your upper body, not to your head or limbs

Bicycle reflectors:
Red reflector (not triangular) - on the back of the bicycle
Yellow reflectors - on the pedals
White or yellow reflective tyres

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 11:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Instead of reflectors, I would have appreciated a move to make front and rear lights mandatory.

I have removed the reflectors off my wheels as its weight saving () and looks very off to me. I always have a light or two when I ride in the evenings / early mornings. One headlamp in flashing mode and one set to always on. At the back, I have a under seat flashing red light and another button cell one as standby on the seat stem.

While I agree that reflectors increase safety, in our road conditions, I'm not yet convinced about their effectiveness.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th July 2020 at 16:05. Reason: Typo
Old 14th July 2020, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Instead of reflectors, I would have appreciated a move to make front and rear lights mandatory.
I agree with you. Even I have deleted the reflectors due to its looks. I have still retained the handle and seat reflectors. I also use a small bicycle flashlight while riding at night.

Instead of reflectors, we could have manufactures, printing their names on the cycles using reflective material, rather than the sticker wrap that they use(Hope you understood what I meant! Instead of solid reflectors, we can have company's like Btwin and Hercules printing their names on the frames using reflective stickers.) It improves the looks as well as serves the purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks