Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 18:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Buying a pre-owned bicycle

Actually, buying pre-owned bicycles is quite common in countries like Belgium (the Flanders part) and the Netherlands where there is essentially an oversupply of bicycles (there are more bicycles than people I believe in the Netherlands). Infact, when I studied in Belgium, most of my friends (i.e students) bought used bikes. Offcourse, getting the right price depends on your negotiation skills and how sharp your eye is. A couple of my friends were sold terrible bicycles (old rusty chains, worn-out brake pads, non-working lights, grinding gears etc) for a comparatively high price who got excellent bicycles for astonishingly low prices.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 15:26   #17
BHPian

I am also a believer in buying things second hand which are well maintained simply because they give so much more for the price one pays. I bought a Bergamont Revox 25i for Rs 13k when it was just 2 years old. She was maintained in extremely prime condition since the previous owner is a true bike enthusiast. And after bringing her home, we also got a Jetta Highline AT in 2 months time through the pre-worshipped route again.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-img20191217wa0023.jpg  

RoadSurfer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Especially since cycles, unlike motor vehicles cant have any hidden niggles or troublesome parts that we cant fix.
That purely depends on what bike you are planning to get as pre-owned. A road-bike with STI shifters etc are complex enough to have a detailed look (since the shifters themselves cost a bomb). A slight bend or dent on Al alloys or a Carbon frame are next to impossible to be repaired.

I would actually put exactly opposite - one should feel free to sell bikes once they become redundant in your life since loss incurred in bike sales aren't that bad compared to selling cars. Selling your first hand bike will always fetch good money if in mint condition (unlike car market) - I had sold my wife's Montra TrancePro for 13.5k which actually costed me similar when I had bought it an year back. And in current scenario with supply chain issues, you should definitely not sell your bike for lowballed rates.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 22:33   #19
BHPian

i have recently purchased a Trek 820 for 6k. The original price is somewhere around 30k. As the derailleurs were not in their best condition, I spent about 1.2k INR for a major service and some spares replacement.

All in all, 7.2k spent perfectly. The bike rides like a charm now.
2TR-FE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 08:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
i have recently purchased a Trek 820 for 6k. The original price is somewhere around 30k. As the derailleurs were not in their best condition, I spent about 1.2k INR for a major service and some spares replacement.

All in all, 7.2k spent perfectly. The bike rides like a charm now.
That's an unbelievable deal. Especially for a Trek which rarely if ever go cheap. And the best part is that it's a quality lightweight steel frame with ample lugs for fitting panniers. Very nice for bikepacking adventures off the beaten path should you be so inclined. Would be great if you could share photos of the bike too.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 12:12   #21
BANNED

People who are serious about the Cycling literally worship their bicycles. If you can get your hand on a bicycle which is being sold by a professional (normally they don’t sell their loved possessions ) it would be a steal deal. If you are buying an unused bicycle be sure to get it checked thoroughly by a mechanic for wear, tear and rusting of the mechanical parts which may call for a complete overhaul before you can ride. It is also necessary to check the size of the bicycle before purchasing for riding it comfortably.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's an unbelievable deal. Especially for a Trek which rarely if ever go cheap.
Would be great if you could share photos of the bike too.
Doc, I don't have any drool worthy pics with me. The bike is with my brother in a different part of the city. A few pics that were clicked to show the boot space of my car are available.
These were clicked while taking the bike for service.

Buying a pre-owned bicycle-img_20201212_130305.jpg

Buying a pre-owned bicycle-screenshot_20201212_130355.jpg
2TR-FE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 15:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
Doc, I don't have any drool worthy pics with me. The bike is with my brother in a different part of the city. A few pics that were clicked to show the boot space of my car are available.
These were clicked while taking the bike for service.
The bike is mint buddy! And the boot is not bad either.

Very nicely packed. However, I'd use a thick rug or sheet liberally to protect the frame, as well as distance it from the wheel above.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The bike is mint buddy! And the boot is not bad either.

Very nicely packed. However, I'd use a thick rug or sheet liberally to protect the frame, as well as distance it from the wheel above.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for the kind words.
While loading and unloading, I was extra concious of not scratching my pre-owned vento rather than the pre-owned bike.
You see, it's a matter of 11L vs 6k.
Anyways, a thick rug always helps as an insulation between disassembled wheels and frames.
2TR-FE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:41   #25
BHPian

Buying a pre-owned bicycle is a great idea!

It retains all the major advantages of buying pre-worshipped cars without the difficulty in ensuring its mechanical condition. Since it is vastly low-tech compared to a car, most users can verify the condition of the bike before buying. This removes the risk and also, worry factor.

Another point is that several people nowadays put in more time researching about best bikes to buy than they actually ride it. Either hectic work schedules, change in personal situations or just simple laziness, they might not even ride the bike for even a 100 km before selling it off.

It would be fantastic to get a very lightly used bike at almost half the showroom price.

Request the experienced bikers to mention what would be the common deal-breakers: most important aspects to check before buying a pre-owned bike.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 19:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
I started 4 months ago using MTB (Montra Rock 1.0) for weight loss and have reached distances of 50+ Km at an average of 20 Kmph. Now while cycling I see people overtaking me in their road cycles and have the urge to ride faster. What is a better upgrade for me at less than 20K ? Dont mind picking up good used cycle as well. Not sure where to find them. Olx has few options but overpriced I feel. I am from Bangalore.
Hey Bullfrog, this is the Team-BHP thread on Pre-owned bicycles, you might want to take a look here. Bangalore, I believe has a great community of bicycle enthusiasts. (https://lbb.in/bangalore/cycling-clubs-in-bangalore/) You should try to get in touch with such bicycle clubs and/or look in bicycle stores. Personal contacts and Facebook advertisements are also very helpful. Let me tell you this, when looking for pre-owned bicycles in India, OLX is not gonna get you anywhere, atleast at the moment. Your options would be limited and most of them would be scam advertisements so stay cautious. Other experts here would be able to help further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks