Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is cycling a viable option for urban commuting?
Yes 108 45.57%
No 129 54.43%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 14:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?

Though I love cycling, I voted 'NO'.

Cycling is a great way of commuting and there are no two ways about it. But to expect results like in European countries, I think its absolutely impractical due to the following reasons:

1. Weather
2. Pollution
3. Safety

I really don't need to explain these reasons, I believe. Many points have already been mentioned. A dedicated path with some foliage can really encourage walking/ cycling but the only thing happening now is vanishing of green cover.

Some examples of failed attempts in Chennai:

1. Cycle Rental along the Chennai Metro Corridor - Most metro stations in Chennai have rental bicycles available along with places like the Marina Beach. But i've hardly seen anyone using it. I even thought of trying it out once but right where its all parked and along the road, there wasn't a single shade. It was literally burning. I gave up the idea.

2. KK Nagar - A few streets in KK nagar were re-designed a couple of years ago where the road width was reduced a bit and converted to a one-way and instead, a wide cycle & pedestrian pathway was introduced. It looked great but now the pathways have street vendors mostly.

The issue, I feel, lies with the lack of proper planning and co-ordination across the city level. Just like how a Metro corridor is developed, I wish someone takes an effort and designs a bicycle/ pedestrian corridor for atleast a reasonable length across a city. Whats the point in introducing a 500m cycle pathway where all the connecting roads are still a mess?

Plus, Basic road sense and discipline, respect towards humans and certain things like that are most required for any humble mode of transport to thrive. Until then, SCORPIOs & INNOVAs will keep ruling the road, an Auto-walah will threaten a cyclist and Tipper trucks/ buses will bully two-wheelers and cars.

Adios.
Old 18th February 2021, 14:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

For most of our climate and terrain (Urban) conditions I do not see cycling fit for commute or work. As an exercise medium or for recreation, then its fine. I don't want to reach my work place/shopping/hangout in a sweaty condition due to the humid weather neither do I want my colleagues/friends to arrive in a similar fashion.

Cycles for commute are more favorable in places where :
1. The climate is cool and not humid.
2. Proper road in terms of covered manholes and road discipline.
3. A cycling track would be nice to have.
4. No Animals on the road. No, I have never been chased by a grisly bear , but I do fear those other animals large and small on the roads.
Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-animals.jpg

Last edited by TrackDay : 18th February 2021 at 15:01.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Voted a Yes. Why short distances, I am in fact ready to cycle if the destination is a good 10 to 15 kms away. As far as I am convinced, I won't be run over by a bus or banged by a speeding car, am all for it. I may not prefer it in the summers but all the other climates in Hyd are pretty fine. A dedicated bicycling lane would be awesome.

Last edited by Raghu M : 18th February 2021 at 15:07. Reason: Grammar
Old 18th February 2021, 15:08   #19
BHPian

Voted No.

I would walk or take the bus instead.

Using a cycle for commuting is something I would not prefer, especially in India. It's not exactly safe. We hardly have any bicycle lanes in India. You have to cycle on the road which is risky in my opinion. And then the problem of parking you bike and other stuff that makes it impractical to me. If you want exercise go walking . Otherwise take the bus.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 18th February 2021 at 15:30.
Old 18th February 2021, 15:19   #20
BHPian

Voted for NO. One is the already mentioned reason of Pollution and lack of showering facility. The other is safety, simply can't trust people to be logical on road.

I would do it as a hobby once in a while if I am in the country side, you get some clean air and enjoy some time. Personally, am fed up of commuting/riding cycle as I rode one throughout school to college (Almost 10 to 15 years). TBH, bicycles simply do not appeal anymore and the traffic conditions have really become worse since I started and stopped cycling.

Maybe for nostalgia can ride but not anymore. Just my two cents
Old 18th February 2021, 15:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
4. No Animals on the road. No, I have never been chased by a grisly bear , but I do fear those other animals large and small on the roads.
Amen to that, I have been chased by dogs for around 5 km block. This line triggered my repressed memory of having my heart in mouth at that time, with heavy sack we call school bag.

Last edited by chinmaypillay : 18th February 2021 at 15:37. Reason: missed a word
chinmaypillay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 16:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am seriously thinking of getting a bicycle for morning riding- but as mentioned by others, I am concerned about the ingestion of pollutants, especially construction dust that is a major issue in most areas of Pune.
Old 18th February 2021, 17:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Potholes and speed breakers come up in unexpected places and those are deathtraps to bikers and cyclists alike.
While I do not have privileges to vote yet (being a Newbie), I would have voted a "NO" due to the following reasons:
  1. I live in New Gurgaon and have to use NH48 to commute to office. So there is a menace of speeding vehicles along with the added menace of waterlogging at various places.
  2. The constant fear of water-splashes created by the so-called educated people not having the basic etiquettes to slow down while crossing water filled areas.

For information, while living in Germany, I used to cycle to work (and so did our Country Head) and also used to go to nearby (20-30kms one side) areas cycling. You could imagine the cultural shock this Gurgaon lad had when I and the car both stopped at a junction near our office thinking why the other one is not crossing the junction

I never ever missed not owning a car. Okay I missed it when I saw the German beauties enjoying the Autobahns.
Old 18th February 2021, 17:30   #24
BHPian

Voted for “NO” as personally I do have two major concerns.
Firstly, turning up to the venue (say office,college,meeting,etc) full of sweat is just not worth it. Bikes however also has the sweat issue because of the full size helmet. A good alternative around this is an electric bicycle which can go roughly 30km on a full charge on pure electric mode. Secondly and more importantly, safety is a big issue in India. Heck I get scared riding a capable moped,bike sometimes. Unfortunately, size of your vehicle determines how much respect you’d get on the streets. The bigger the vehicle the better. If there’s a way to ride strictly on footpaths I think e-bicycles can be a good choice.

What I would really like to have is an electric scooter!
Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-f6e939edd825491eb640f8d47b847ca0.jpeg

These typically are restricted to 25kmph and most of them have around 25-35km of range on a single charge. With cities getting covered by metros, I think this would be a very compelling option as a last mile transport plus one can always use them on footpaths as they’re not very bulky. Running daily errands within 10km radius would be a breeze as well. The problem however is unnecessary attention that one would get while riding one of these.

PS : I’m aware of the nuisance these have caused in the west, notably United States, but that was partly because of the renting companies like Bird. People who have invested their own money in actually buying one of these would also be way more careful with them.
Old 18th February 2021, 17:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. No chance I'll put myself at risk by trying to negotiate the traffic and drivers on Bangalore's roads on a bicycle.

Which is a pity, really.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 17:34   #26
BHPian

I used to religiously commute to work and pretty much everywhere in Bangalore about 9 to 10 years back. But I wouldn't dream of doing the same today. Traffic has increased manifold today, and it feels like there is roadwork going on in Bangalore everywhere, perennially. Add to that an increase in road rage and the general tension in traffic, and we have a recipe for disaster.
Old 18th February 2021, 18:45   #27
BHPian

No.

I’ve seen at least 5 of my friends meet with horrific accidents. All apart from one, which was a hit and run, were the direct result of bad Mumbai roads. All 5 could very well have led to loss of life. They did lead to hospitalisations. So, no. In Mumbai I would not ride a cycle to work.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

I have 2 bicycle and I absolutely love them. I use them for fitness, competition, running errands, sight-seeing and joyrides and cover more than 10,000 km every year. If I get a chance, I would use my bicycles to tour as well.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-20210121_073052.jpg

However, when it comes to the subject of commuting, the answer is a big NO. The weather and dust are the primary reasons that prevent me from using my bicycles for commuting. The only solo commute I do is from home to office and back. I just can't sit at work covered in sweat and dust / mud or drenched by the rain.

Would you consider cycling as a viable option for short urban commutes?-20210131_073406.jpg

I have used all sorts of transport and covered innumerable miles walking. I do not consider cycling any more dangerous than any other form of transport. It's also far less stressful compared to driving in rush hour traffic.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 21:08   #29
BHPian

I would not consider it for the disadvantages you mentioned: (1) Safety and (2) Climate.

Where I live and work, driving a car has it's own risks. Riding a cycle would be downright dangerous. Add to that the fact that I would be drenched in sweat every time I reached work and the decision to drive my car becomes a whole lot easier!
Old 19th February 2021, 07:08   #30
BHPian

I voted Yes despite all the challenges and shortcomings we faced in India- mainly pollution and poor road conditions. I do believe 15-20 kms commute can easily be done. This coming from a person in a hilly area where a 5 odd kilometres climb uphill amounts to 300 plus metres elevation.

It's just our unwillingness to suffer which stop us from doing things which we felt is the right thing to do. That is until Desi Big Brother force us to do so by some sort of so callled law(and I believe that time is coming soon, seeing the fuel prices).

I haven't done commuting to work on a cycle on a daily basis but I have done a few times. And I love it. The social unacceptance of our cycling/riding gear at work place is a bigger hindrance for me, more than anything else. People tend to stare and ask a lot of questions regarding that(not in a bad way, though).
docmoya2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks