Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 16:29   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!

Lol. That's some fancy light to have. Now soon we'll be recommending that cyclists have a front and a rear camera (like for cars).
Old 5th January 2023, 17:54   #797
Senior - BHPian

FINALLY my knees seem to have recovered after a long hiatus... FINALLY have been able to bring some cycles all the way aross the country and re-start my riding out here in Mizoram... what a wonderful place.

Finally got up early enough to ride into the sunrise, did just short of 30km's on the Aizawl outskirts yesterday astride the old Firefox "69er" custom hybrid, climbing nearly 1500m in the course of it

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20230104_06164101.jpeg
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20230104_06163601.jpeg
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20230104_07410401.jpeg

A few hours' drive to the east, rode some newly discovered forest tracks today on the old Thunder MTB... the Schwalbe Blackjacks are fresh, fairly narrow as MTB tyres go, with sharp little siped knobs that I felt make them very confidence-inspiring in the dirt.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20230105_16100701.jpeg

Rode around a couple of hills till the road split into three narrower tracks, one going down into thicker forest, one going up towards another hilltop, and one heading around to the right... and am very eager to explore all of those - and many others in the area - later. We hope to be living out here within a couple years. Could do awesome mixed urban/ trail downhill runs in this town (Aizawl, too). Just super.

While I was up there on the trail, the kids enjoyed riding around and stunting/ showing off on the village's hilltop helipad.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20230105_16023001.jpeg

Very happy with these old-school, triple-ring, V-braked relics - The gear-inches you can manage with a 22/34T on a 26" wheel are pretty impressive - serious bang-for-buck, and you just about need it that low - this street near my in-laws' is around a 1:4 gradient:

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20221220_100640.jpg

Hercules ACT 105max here, which my 11-year-old son is riding:

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20221228_12413901.jpeg

Just feeling extremely blessed to be here, in truth.

Met up with DocMoya and others in the local cycling community, most of whose abilities are well beyond my own (these guys are STRONG!).

Good times ahead, I expect.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 5th January 2023 at 18:16.
ringoism is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 18:38   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
So went to Yercaud, Tamil Nadu on a cycling trip arranged by Sproket Science guys, was sort of my first techical ride apart from morning rides, beautiful weather and very scenic route, day 1 was 66 km and day 2 was 9 kms with about elevation was about 350m. I and my friend riding base MTBs were totally out of crowd riding sleek road bikes
Base MTB's are legit, bro, and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Really lovely scenes, and agree that taking your sweet time enables you to appreciate them more and document them better than a lot of faster riders could.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 19:52   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lol. That's some fancy light to have. Now soon we'll be recommending that cyclists have a front and a rear camera (like for cars).
I do have a camera+light on the handlebar too
Old 5th January 2023, 22:55   #800
BHPian

As part of my new year automotive resolutions, I decided to bike more often to work. Before buying the car, I used to ride my bicycle all working days of the year, rain, snow, or sleet, but I'd started making excuses to justify taking the car, more and more often.

Given this, I decided yesterday, that I was going to ride to work. Though it was -2.5°C. And snowing! Dressed in my warm jacket and winter riding gloves, and with my trusty neck warmer, I was toasty warm, except for my poor face which was getting blasted with fine powdery snow right through the ride.

When my working day ended, I remembered that I wasn't going to be getting into a preheated car, but needed to bike back! The snow has fallen steadily throughout the day, and while some places would have been cleared of snow, other bits wouldn't be, so it would be interesting!

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20230104_174432.jpg
The bicycle path goes right below the car/bus route.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20230104_174437.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20230104_174723.jpg

This section of the bike path has been recently swept clean of snow. Any residual snow is that which has come back. The prices on display are Ethanol 85: 15.14 SEK, E10 Petrol (ethanol 10%): 19.29 SEK, and Diesel: 23.60 SEK. Yup, diesel is the most expensive, and it's been that way always, but the difference has become more pronounced in the last couple of years.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20230104_174732.jpg

The bicycle/pedestrian crossing is completely covered by snow. There is actually a path cutting across the main road, and the signal regulates access to it.

Getting back to my heated apartment was a really nice feeling, and the first time I've appreciated it so much, since I've started driving to work.

Last edited by supermax : 5th January 2023 at 23:11.
supermax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 00:00   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
A
Given this, I decided yesterday, that I was going to ride to work. Though it was -2.5°C. And snowing!
Wow. I wish there were some useful bike paths around where I live.
I'd be more worried about ice on the road though. You dont seem to have that concern though.
Old 6th January 2023, 00:18   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Wow. I wish there were some useful bike paths around where I live.
I'd be more worried about ice on the road though. You dont seem to have that concern though.
Oh, ice is definitely a concern here, but when I used to bike throughout the winter, I used studded winter tires, to tackle the black ice. I've had my share of falls on ice before I switched to studded tires. The bike I commuted with yesterday though doesn't have studded tires, so it was a little exciting.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 01:06   #803
Senior - BHPian

Even in the dark, snow and ice there seem to be a bunch of people riding which is a rarity here. Nice!
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 06:27   #804
Senior - BHPian

Finished my 100K ride for the month of January. That's 6 consecutive months of at least one 100K ride, with 6 more to go.
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_2231.jpg

The route was an out and back along the coast, starting from Newburyport in Massachusetts, riding through coastal towns of New Hampshire, cross the state border into Maine and then head back. It was below freezing most of the way except for the last 25 miles when the Sun finally started to show. But then it was all headwinds. Well, at least there were no hills. I think this is a good 100K to repeat for February. I mean, it is going to be cold and windy anyway, so why not make it a little easier with no hills.
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_d9ec09652fe81.jpeg

I had done this route in August, when my average speed was 17.4 mph, compared to mere 15.6mph today. I knew you slow down in winters but didn't expect this much!

Another pic from the ride

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_2227.jpg

Since it had snowed last night, the roads were peppered with salt. Plus they were wet. So, all that wet salt needed to be removed. Gave the bike a bath before I took one

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_2230.jpg

Cheers,
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 22:52   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Finished my 100K ride for the month of January. That's 6 consecutive months of at least one 100K ride, with 6 more to go.
Amitoj
That's awesome. I tried this in 2021, fell one short of 12 when I had to travel to NL in December. All the best.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 23:35   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
That's awesome. I tried this in 2021, fell one short of 12 when I had to travel to NL in December. All the best.
Thanks.
I am going to India from 20th Feb till March 6th. Hoping to get at least one rideable weather day before that for February, otherwise my streak will end at 6 months.
Old 10th January 2023, 16:13   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
I am going to India from 20th Feb till March 6th. Hoping to get at least one rideable weather day before that for February, otherwise my streak will end at 6 months.
Have a good vacation. If you are really into it, then the option to rent a bike in India always works.
Love following your updates on Strava. I have severe back pain, so off the bike for a couple of weeks.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:56   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Have a good vacation. If you are really into it, then the option to rent a bike in India always works.
Thanks! I am actually pursuing the P-12 Award from Randonneurs USA:
P-12 Award
For this, I need to ride RUSA sanctioned routes only, and they are all in US only.
Besides, I am going for only 2 weeks. I doubt my family, friends and relatives will be too thrilled if I disappear for a better part of the day to ride a bicycle.
Old 12th January 2023, 13:01   #809
Senior - BHPian

From cold, dark December the 2023 literally brought sunshine back. Had a good 50k rides back to back. Also got a chance to take roadie out finally after I took it apart and reassembled everything. Rides like a dream.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-a1112d25b1c74de6a77928fb90fa5d11.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-5ff048026b9541aa911079f0286dcf29.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-a9cfee433ad8496b99bd5092877cbe20.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-0f799f7754b04c208ec1a24a792ee268.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-f26842eca63a4c3eb27a40ea1607ba1b.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-f82d515a2c514d3dae602f8bc065d352.jpeg
amol4184 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:59   #810
BHPian

"A bicycle ride around the world beings with a single pedal stroke" - Scott Stoll

Did my first 100+ kms ride on 14th Jan. A trip from Sunrise to Sunset

Route: Pune (Navale Bridge) to Sajjangad Fort (24+ kms after Satara)
Total Distance: 121 Km
Total Time taken: 12 +/- Hrs. We started at 6 AM and reached at 6 PM for sunset.
Cycle: Trek 520. (Owned by a friend. I have booked one and still waiting)
Group: We were total 5 people. One along with me made it to destination. Other ended the trip at 102 KMs at Satara.

It was an amazing experience of completing 100+ KMs in a day on cycle. Travelling on this route with Cars and Bike for last 30+ years but the beauty you see on cycle is totally different.

We started around 6 AM from Navale Bridge on NH4 and took a first break before tunnel. This steep is not visible however it makes you sweat in cold morning. Quick photo stop after crossing tunning and then straight to first toll booth.

Had some dry fruits and water with quick stretching and we started again. We planned a next break at Shirval however we got rear Tyre burst in front of Shell Station after tool booth. Without wasting much time, we changed it with spare tube with help of local tyre shop and we are on road in just 20 mins.

Now we moved the next break location to Neera River bridge which was very meditation spot after completing some 45 Kms. Again, with some click we moved and took break directly before the ghat section starts. Here we had some chikkies and energy bars along with water. Changed clothes from warm to dry fit and with some stretching we are ready for the mighty Khdala ghat.

With twisty road and steep inclines, it took 3 breaks and lemon juice and finally we were on the other side of the ghat. Took a major stop for food and some rest near Surur.

In the morning it was badly cold and at this point it was badly hot heavy sunlight. We literally socked our balaclavas in water and put on head under helmet. Strenge thing is this path does not have any roadside tree shadow for quick stops. Gulped 2 cane juice each near second toll booth and soon started the climb before Satara bypass.

We left highway and took first. diversion to Satara around 3.30 PM and started rolling again because at this point, we were very sure that we will make it to destination for sunset.

At 4.45 PM we started the climbing towards Sajjangad from Satara city. First couple of turn and declines were goose bumps however after that it started climbing badly. These narrow roads with lots of steep inclines and hairpins. On top of that the opposite wind was there to kill the whole enthusiasm. I walked at couple of turn because it was impossible to move ahead on topmost gear as well. Finally, I saw the Sajjangad road, and it was a heavenly feeling.

Parked the cycles inside a small tapri/hotel and till the time remaining gang reached in car then went for darshan by climbing some 250 stairs.

I along with one more when to our home in Satara for stay and others stayed at Sajjangad stay facility.

Here are couple of clicks I did manage to get while rolling.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1121.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1123.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1126.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1131.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1133.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1134.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1138.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-3e46b566f0844b7795313a94200d8673.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1150.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1154.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1158.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1167.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1168.jpeg
Thar4x4 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks