Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 21:45   #16
BHPian

Re: The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I've always wanted to ask ...

Any particular reason for mounting the frame pump on the seat tube and not the down tube?

I've been trying to research which is more aero without any definitive answer.

Cheers, Doc
This particular pump is chunkier than the ones from Giyo, Topeak and even Decathlons own non gauge ones. Personally, I felt it tucked away and looked better behind the bottle/bottle cage on the seat tube, instead of jutting out on the down tube. Would love to hear more about your findings on the aero aspect.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
This particular pump is chunkier than the ones from Giyo, Topeak and even Decathlons own non gauge ones. Personally, I felt it tucked away and looked better behind the bottle/bottle cage on the seat tube, instead of jutting out on the down tube. Would love to hear more about your findings on the aero aspect.
Sure, will definitely share if I learn something credible enough.

I have three concerns about the seat tube mounting.

It's thinner and therefore it's curvature is not going to match as flush with the curvature of the plastic pump holder as the bigger bore down tube.

And two, the pump is too close to my feet and to the front derailleur, in case it gets knocked and dislodged.

Three, in the rains it will be caked in mud, probably inside the valve hole as well. The mud from the front wheel goes lower, more towards your feet and the crank.

On the aero, theoretically I think the seat tube one will be more aero because the wind will be cut by tge smooth downtube and front bottle, and the seat tube and bottle and pump will hide right behind , in between the flow of air on both sides. What do you think?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 21:52.
Old 18th August 2021, 22:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The teambhp search function is pretty archaic and nothing much can be done there.
Google search with the site keyword and some keywords from thread title generally works well.
Something like The bicycles thread tyre pump site:team-bhp.com
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, will definitely share if I learn something credible enough.

I have three concerns about the seat tube mounting.

It's thinner and therefore it's curvature is not going to match as flush with the curvature of the plastic pump holder as the bigger bore down tube.

And two, the pump is too close to my feet and to the front derailleur, in case it gets knocked and dislodged.

Three, in the rains it will be caked in mud, probably inside the valve hole as well. The mud from the front wheel goes lower, more towards your feet and the crank.

On the aero, theoretically I think the seat tube one will be more aero because the wind will be cut by tge smooth downtube and front bottle, and the seat tube and bottle and pump will hide right behind , in between the flow of air on both sides. What do you think?

Cheers, Doc
Valid points. I spent 2 minutes looking at it this morning and had the same suspicion - that seat tube may be the more aero placement option. Enclosing a shot I took today. I have gotten used to this placement. It's got decent clearance from the pedal too.

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img_20210819_114840-1.jpg
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I have this mounted on my road bike. It's decent.
How do you mount the pump to the bike? Can you share some pictures? Thanks.
EDIT: Never mind. I just saw the pictures of that particular pump and can see that it comes with a holder to attach it on the frame.

Quote:
There was a discussion recently on the mega thread on pumps. I had given some good options there.
Quoting you as well Doc, as I read in one of your post, forgot where exactly, that you attach a portable pump to the frame of your ACT using zip ties. Can you post some pictures of that setup?

Last edited by Sherlocked : 19th August 2021 at 12:37.
Old 19th August 2021, 12:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Valid points. I spent 2 minutes looking at it this morning and had the same suspicion - that seat tube may be the more aero placement option. Enclosing a shot I took today. I have gotten used to this placement. It's got decent clearance from the pedal too.

Attachment 2195301
You're right. It's odd shape tucks in directly behind the smooth curve of the seat tube bottle.

This is my pump, and it fits neatly into the jersey pocket, so after getting enthu about the Velominati Code I removed the holder from under the downtube bottle cage, but I'm beginning to rethink the "looking pro" over function paradigm and its always nice to have the pump permanently attached to your cycle so that's one less thing you need to pick up before heading for a ride. I've actually left for rides without my water bottle (gloves many times, even helmet once) so one can imagine it would be pretty easy to sometimes forget the pump only to remember 10 km down the road and then pray you do not get a puncture. I've actually removed my saddlebag permanently too, and have the puncture kit (small BTwin rectangular box)m reading glasses, permanent marker, extra tube, and this pump all tightly rolled up and rubber banded together in a roll that goes into my center pocket. My money (about 500 bucks in 100s and 50s) now post Aditya's brilliant suggestion is permanently behind my phone inside the transparent cover.

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-btwin-mnp-500-hand-pump.jpg

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20200204wa0005.jpg

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20200204wa0006.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Quoting you as well Doc, as I read in one of your post, forgot where exactly, that you attach a portable pump to the frame of your ACT using zip ties. Can you post some pictures of that setup?
No that was an extra bottle cage that got attached to the seat tube on my ACT with zip ties because the ACT seat tube does not have the holes for a second bottle cage (my mechanic has ordered a special tool from Malaysia for drilling the holes as well as the threaded bits that get inserted into them, but I read somewhere that its not safe to drill holes into a alloy frame tube). The pum (BTwin MNP 100) is attached to the holder that goes under the down tube bottle cage. It used to be on the right, but off late since I've been doing a lot of night riding, I keep knocking the pump when putting the bottle back from the right hand side, so I've now changed its position to the left side.

Second bottle cage zip tied, and pump on the right ...

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img_20200809_130419.jpg

No second bottle cage (zip ties fatigue snapped, industrial gauge zip tie replacements not available at the time, Doc a lazy man who now carries second bottle on 4 hour rides in center jersey pocket) ... and pump now shifted to the left (same as for the road bike earlier).

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img_20210731_083850.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 19th August 2021 at 12:50.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:19   #22
BHPian

I have been using the Schwalbe Marathon – Green Guard tires for the past 3 years and they seem to have ended the puncture issue for good. As advertised, they live up to their expectations. I have done all kinds of roads with possible glass and metal pieces on them.

Have clocked over 5000 + kms as I post this and not a visible scratch till date.

Prior to this, I rode on Schwalbe Lugano which would invariably suffer a puncture every 1000 kms. Stock tires on my earlier bike, trinx free 2.0, suffered at least 6 punctures by the time I clocked 600 kms, before I replaced them.

I currently ride on Scott speedster 30 and atypically, my front tyres are 700 x 25c while the rear are 700 x 28c, a consequence of me experimenting tire sizes. I maintain 110+ psi on the 25c and 80 -100 psi on the 28c. While the Green-Guards may compromise on the rolling resistance, the certainty (almost) of not suffering a puncture more than compensates for it. Highly recommended. Refer the link for more details:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-marathon-2015

PS: I am not sure if these are currently in stock due to ban on the import of tires in June 2020. I am told brands are applying for the necessary licenses to import again.
nikhil.neon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 21:38   #23
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is this tire import ban hurting bicycle tires too?.

I have a Marin Argenta Road bike and looking to replace the stock Schwalbe Lugano 700x25c with k guard tires. But none of the bike stores in Bangalore have these in stock(tried Procycle, BOTS, cyclops, Decathlon, Cadence91) and they have no visibility on when the Schwalbe Lugano tires will be available. Can anyone point me to any alternate tires to the ones I have and where I can procure them?
Old 19th August 2021, 22:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Hi Guys,

Is this tire import ban hurting bicycle tires too?.

I have a Marin Argenta Road bike and looking to replace the stock Schwalbe Lugano 700x25c with k guard tires. But none of the bike stores in Bangalore have these in stock(tried Procycle, BOTS, cyclops, Decathlon, Cadence91) and they have no visibility on when the Schwalbe Lugano tires will be available. Can anyone point me to any alternate tires to the ones I have and where I can procure them?
Continental gator series were available till few weeks ago which is an upgrade over the Luganos. However, this month I checked, they were stocked out. This is at Surat Scott dealership. In Bangalore you might be able to locate them.

Tire ban has definitely affected the availability.
At the moment, brands are trying to procure import licence, till such time imported tyres are limited to those that come along with the bicycle.
nikhil.neon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 06:17   #25
Team-BHP Support

I have settled with 85 psi for my Trek FX3 (recommended 65-100 psi). All it takes is a top-up of a shot or two with the floor pump below (before every ride).

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img_0077.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I started with close to 115 psi.

This Sunday, I went with 110 psi.

Now, I read on this article that according to my weight of under 70kgs, I should rather be at around 80 psi. Min rated tyre psi is 87, so will probably do 90 to be on the sAfe side. Max psi is 117 on the tyre. Will run this further experiment this weekend.
I usually keep 85-90 psi for my Training rides and any Race / TT i go upto 105-110. But, i will reduce the pressure back once the event is complete - it will be literally bone jarring vibes every time you hit a rough patch!

Quote:
Roads around here are rubbish, so I am hoping this leads to a more cushier ride. Might also take the plunge to 32+ tyres at the right time to improve cushioning more for my 40k/ week recreational riding. I cannot exceed that for the rest of the year, until my knees are well accustomed to the strain. I don’t have a particular interest in speed timing etc.

My tyres right now are 700x28 triban protect plus. International reviews say first thing to do when after buying the bike (triban rc500) is to trash the hard tyres it comes with. Will begin the look around.
700 x 30 should be a good alternative. Better soft compound tyres when maintained at right PSI offer much better comfort. But dont go too low on PSI as you run risk of punctures.

On a side note: Your body experiences more strain for a 40 km ride in 100 min over a 40 km ride in 80 min ! Hydration, Nutrition, Activation of right muscle group enable stress free riding!
Mi10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I usually keep 85-90 psi for my Training rides and any Race / TT i go upto 105-110. But, i will reduce the pressure back once the event is complete - it will be literally bone jarring vibes every time you hit a rough patch!
What tyre width do you run and how much do you weigh?

I used to run 100 (max rating) on my GRLs, but have been running 110 on my Gatorskins. Still haven't ridden on my Kendas yet. Will need to figure those out. Have lined them with tyre liners, as they are used tyres and feel quite thin (I think they have some reinforced layer - Kenda Kontender's, rated to 125 psi).

All three are 23c, and I weight 85 kilos.

Cheers, Doc
Old 20th August 2021, 10:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What tyre width do you run and how much do you weigh?

I used to run 100 (max rating) on my GRLs, but have been running 110 on my Gatorskins. Still haven't ridden on my Kendas yet. Will need to figure those out. Have lined them with tyre liners, as they are used tyres and feel quite thin (I think they have some reinforced layer - Kenda Kontender's, rated to 125 psi).

All three are 23c, and I weight 85 kilos.

Cheers, Doc
Both bikes run 700x25c. I weight 70 kgs.

The Merida especially has a very stiff seat stay and even 100+ PSI on it will be like teeth chattering ride. It is still on its stock Maxxis Dolomites (Max 120 psi) tyres which are just below average ones.

The Look is lot more comfortable, thanks to its frame design as well as the tyres (Vittoria corsa pro graphene - max 145 psi)
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
On a side note: Your body experiences more strain for a 40 km ride in 100 min over a 40 km ride in 80 min ! Hydration, Nutrition, Activation of right muscle group enable stress free riding!
Right!! Which is why it is important to have a ride partner who matches your speed. Riding slower than your usual speed feels tiring. I wonder if it is a mental thing or physical.
Old 20th August 2021, 15:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
You're right. It's odd shape tucks in directly behind the smooth curve of the seat tube bottle.

This is my pump, and it fits neatly into the jersey pocket, so after getting enthu about the Velominati Code I removed the holder from under the downtube bottle cage, but I'm beginning to rethink the "looking pro" over function paradigm and its always nice to have the pump permanently attached to your cycle so that's one less thing you need to pick up before heading for a ride. I've actually left for rides without my water bottle (gloves many times, even helmet once) so one can imagine it would be pretty easy to sometimes forget the pump only to remember 10 km down the road and then pray you do not get a puncture. I've actually removed my saddlebag permanently too, and have the puncture kit (small BTwin rectangular box)m reading glasses, permanent marker, extra tube, and this pump all tightly rolled up and rubber banded together in a roll that goes into my center pocket. My money (about 500 bucks in 100s and 50s) now post Aditya's brilliant suggestion is permanently behind my phone inside the transparent cover.
I leave things behind too. Since I am in a tearing hurry early in the morning, my bike is usually ready to go the night before with tools,cash,tube, patches etc. Just put bottles from the fridge, recheck the air and leave.

Quote:
No that was an extra bottle cage that got attached to the seat tube on my ACT with zip ties because the ACT seat tube does not have the holes for a second bottle cage (my mechanic has ordered a special tool from Malaysia for drilling the holes as well as the threaded bits that get inserted into them, but I read somewhere that its not safe to drill holes into a alloy frame tube). The pum (BTwin MNP 100) is attached to the holder that goes under the down tube bottle cage. It used to be on the right, but off late since I've been doing a lot of night riding, I keep knocking the pump when putting the bottle back from the right hand side, so I've now changed its position to the left side.

Second bottle cage zip tied, and pump on the right ...
This bottle cage adapter is a good jugaad, for bikes which don't have the seat tube mounting point. Been using it on MTB for sometime. it needs a bit more clearance though, it won't work on your ACT 110. This adaptor - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8385631/c...8385631&type=p

Alas, my luck ran out. I managed to damage yet another tire yesterday morning with a bad puncture. I can quite picture @doc smile when he reads this. I got a shiny new pair of Ralson's in 700x25c. Got them for 1300 bucks/pair. Went for a 50k this morning. Initial impressions are good - seem smooth but are noticeably heavier. I wish there was a 28c option. Max pressure is 115 psi. Filled it to 90-100 and had a fairly decent ride. I am 68 kgs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks