Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 15:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread

I was looking into my bicycle tyre pressure data, and decided to do some reading on this.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/wor...ed_slideshow=1

I started with close to 115 psi.

This Sunday, I went with 110 psi.

Now, I read on this article that according to my weight of under 70kgs, I should rather be at around 80 psi. Min rated tyre psi is 87, so will probably do 90 to be on the sAfe side. Max psi is 117 on the tyre. Will run this further experiment this weekend.

Roads around here are rubbish, so I am hoping this leads to a more cushier ride. Might also take the plunge to 32+ tyres at the right time to improve cushioning more for my 40k/ week recreational riding. I cannot exceed that for the rest of the year, until my knees are well accustomed to the strain. I don’t have a particular interest in speed timing etc.

My tyres right now are 700x28 triban protect plus. International reviews say first thing to do when after buying the bike (triban rc500) is to trash the hard tyres it comes with. Will begin the look around.

I also use the MI Portable inflator.

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-pxl_20210715_064123114.mp.jpg

Last edited by Red Liner : 16th August 2021 at 15:20.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 06:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I was looking into my bicycle tyre pressure data, and decided to do some reading on this.
Thank you Red Liner for starting this thread, was looking out for such one since a long time.

Anyone here fitted tube liners in their tyres. These are the teflon tapes that give puncture protection. Found the below on Amazon. Anyone used this? How effective is this in preventing punctures? Can a tape of 34mm width be used for 26mm width tyre?

https://www.amazon.in/Schrodinger15-...l%2C490&sr=8-1
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 07:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone had a flat while on the ride and fixed it themselves using puncture repair kits found on Decathlon and Amazon? How easy or difficult was it?
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 07:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Has anyone had a flat while on the ride and fixed it themselves using puncture repair kits found on Decathlon and Amazon? How easy or difficult was it?
Many have done it. Just needs some experience.

Maybe try removing the tube at home and fitting it back in a few times. That is the process. Also, carry a spare tube and just swap it instead of fixing the punctured tube. Tubes cost almost nothing. All you need then are tyre levers and a pump.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:57   #5
BHPian

Re: The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Very much doable. You don't have to be a mechanic to fix a flat.
If I am carrying a spare tube I would just replace the tube and fix the punctured tube at home. The sticker like patches work and the tube can be used without a worry.
For my day rides I do not carry a spare tube. I carry the puncture kit, a hand pump (attached to the down tube), two tyre levers and most importantly a connector hose (link)
When you are using hand pump, you tend to rock the valve (Presta especially) and you will end up damaging it. Using the connector hose will avoid such damage.

You must try replacing a tube at home so that there will be no surprises on the road. Front is easy. So try at the rear as you need to handle the chain while removing and placing the wheel back. Some tyres can be really stiff, especially if they are new and can be tough to be taken off the rim or to stuff the tube in. I have even broken a lever once.

Few years back I was riding solo from Manali to Leh and around Tandi I had a flat at the rear tyre. Found a nice spot to fix the situation, made the bike upside down and removed the rear wheel and noticed the hand pump missing from the tube!
So it fell off its handle somewhere on the way and I did not realize. I thought my tour was over and walked the bike in the hope to get into an army truck and reach Leh. I walked for 20-30mins and saw Tandi Army Camp. I went in hoping they have air filling machine. And yes they have it! My tubes come with Presta valve so removed the Presta/Schrader adapter on my connector hose and attached it to the air filling machine and the kind folks at army camp over-inflated the tyre and it burst soon after I left the camp. I again went back! I have a spare tyre so that was not a problem and biked upto Leh as planned without any punctures.

In the rear case of a tyre cut or a gash, you can patch it with a Rs10 note. Yes, it works for short distances!

Last edited by papr23 : 17th August 2021 at 14:06.
papr23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:58   #6
BHPian

Today I was about to venture on my usual 45 minutes bicycle ride and noticed that the rear tire has a flat! Glad that it happened while I was at home.
I intend to fix the puncture myself but I don't have a puncture repair kit or an air pump yet. Also will carry an air pump, a spare tube and some tools with all the time during my rides.

The spare tube and tools I will keep it in my saddle bag which I will get from Decathlon during the weekend. I am unsure as to which air pump to get.
Suggest me a good portable air pump that I can carry with me during my rides. Possibly attach it to the top or bottom tube? Is it recommended attaching it to the bike frame?

Thanks.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 18th August 2021 at 11:13.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Today I was about to venture on my usual 45 minutes bicycle ride and noticed that the rear tire has a flat! Glad that it happened while I was at home.
I intend to fix the puncture myself but I don't have a puncture repair kit or an air pump yet. Also will carry an air pump, a spare tube and some tools with all the time during my rides.

The spare tube and tools I will keep it in my saddle bag which I will get from Decathlon during the weekend. I am unsure as to which air pump to get.
Suggest me a good portable air pump that I can carry with me during my rides. Possibly attach it to the top or bottom tube? Is it recommended attaching it to the bike frame?

Thanks.
There was a discussion recently on the mega thread on pumps. I had given some good options there. Always good to buy a portable pump with a gauge, even a rudimentary sliding type one. That way you are not shooting in the dark. On a hybrid or MTB it is easy to go too high if by feel only. On a roadie it is the opposite. By feel when you feel it is okay and you give up, the pump barely moving, you are usually still quite a way short. I've gone home after repairing a puncture on my roadie and pumping it back up with my portable frame pump and immediately checked what pressure I was running on and its usually between 80 to 90. Which is enough to get me home, but the risk of picking up another puncture increases the further you ride on an under-inflated tyre. During my brevets or overnight rides on my ACT with Shraeder valves, I used to carry a nice American dial gauge in my frame bag. But that will not work on a Presta valve, plus was only calibrated to 65 psi, so for my roadie I'm essentially pumping blind if I do not have a co-rider with pump with a pressure gauge.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 14:09.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There was a discussion recently on the mega thread on pumps. I had given some good options there.
Doc, thanks for your inputs. Could you please share the link of the mega thread on pumps over here?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Doc, thanks for your inputs. Could you please share the link of the mega thread on pumps over here?
Bro I will have to search same as you.

Find posts by me with the keyword pump. That should work. The most recent ones.

Once you do maybe you could report them as well so that they can be migrated here.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Once you do maybe you could report them as well so that they can be migrated here.
I am sorry Doc, I tried it hard but could not spot those posts of yours with the keyword pump. May be someone else has better luck than me.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:55   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The teambhp search function is pretty archaic and nothing much can be done there.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday I had been to Decathalon, Wakad, Pune and saw this BTWIN Telescopic Hand Pump With Pressure Gauge 920. It was costing Rs 1299/-. I want to know from the experts here if this is worth the buy?
The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-btwin-telescopic-hand-pump-pressure-gauge-920.png
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry Doc, I tried it hard but could not spot those posts of yours with the keyword pump. May be someone else has better luck than me.
Go to the thread in question.

Click on the "search thread" button on top.

Go to Advanced Search.

Say search posts by ebonho (click exact name box).

And type pump on keyword box.

Click search.

The 4th result from top is the post I was referring to.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5092540 (The Bicycles thread)

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-screenshot_20210818211439.png

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 21:16.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Last Saturday I had been to Decathalon, Wakad, Pune and saw this BTWIN Telescopic Hand Pump With Pressure Gauge 920. It was costing Rs 1299/-. I want to know from the experts here if this is worth the buy?
Attachment 2195084
I have this mounted on my road bike. It's decent. I haven't had a chance to use it in a puncture scenario yet. I have done one test run at home though. It is capable of pumping till about 70-80psi after which the handle gets hard and that's probably the max it can go from flat. Tire gets firm, enough to get you home or to a petrol pump to top up. Not ideal but sort of okay for me. Hope this helps.

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-screenshot_20210818211409.jpg
promit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I have this mounted on my road bike. It's decent. I haven't had a chance to use it in a puncture scenario yet. I have done one test run at home though. It is capable of pumping till about 70-80psi after which the handle gets hard and that's probably the max it can go from flat. Tire gets firm, enough to get you home or to a petrol pump to top up. Not ideal but sort of okay for me. Hope this helps.

Attachment 2195090
I've always wanted to ask ...

Any particular reason for mounting the frame pump on the seat tube and not the down tube?

I've been trying to research which is more aero without any definitive answer.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed