Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2021, 01:27   #1
BHPian

Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?

Most of us have probably started off with cycling before becoming the rider or driver which we are now today How many of you still own your childhood cycle in running condition or plan on restoring one which may be gathering dust in a corner of the house ?

While I don't have the first small bicycle where I learnt to balance on two wheels, I still have my 2nd Cycle which is a full sized one, got during my school days in running condition. Here are the details:

Hercules MTB Cannon Barrel
Year: 1998
Price: Rs 1900

I remember back in the days when I went for purchase, Hercules Top Gear just got released. There was no bikes with Gear + Rear Shocker combo. Hercules RockShox used to come with both front & rear shockers. I wanted something with gear however the sales guy advised dad against it as it will lead to accident I had to take decision between this and Hero Ranger Max and finally took the pick.

My dad with the cycle back in the days
Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?-img_0065-3.jpg

In more recent times
Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?-20131001_012246.jpg

Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?-20210201_191424.jpg

Modifications done back then:

1: Starlit 5 Speed Twist Grip shifters (Rs 650)
This was unique back in the days as most gear options used to come with thumb shift.

2: Dyno front & rear lights

3: Plethora of reflectors all over

4: Musical horns

5: Wheel cover

6: Hercules - Thumbs Up Collab Bottle Holder

7: Cycle locks

8: Rear view mirrors

9: Handguards

Accessories purchased recently

1: Laser backlight from AliExpress

2: Speedometer from AliExpress (Didn't install)

3: Btwin tyre inflator

Last edited by Samfromindia : 20th August 2021 at 01:32.
Samfromindia is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 08:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?

Nice thread! Must say, this new bicycle forum is on fire. Every day or two, one thread from here goes to our homepage.

Owned a couple in my childhood & the most memorable was the Concorde. It was quite good-looking for its time:
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:18   #3
BHPian

I had the same one (pro-10) for a good period of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice thread! Must say, this new bicycle forum is on fire. Every day or two, one thread from here goes to our homepage.

Owned a couple in my childhood & the most memorable was the Concorde. It was quite good-looking for its time:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ym82-0-Lv3Y
ssjr0498 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

My first cycle was a Hero Hansa. It was ugly and feminine. Never liked it.

When I was in 7th grade, i wanted a BSA SLR. (Not to be confused with Mercedes Slr).

What I got instead, was an unknown Atlas. Never liked it either.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

My first cycle was a Bridgestone made bicycle from Japan.

That's right. Dad brought it down from Japan back in the 80's. Had a basket upfront and all.

Should have kept the bike. Tons of memories.

Might have a picture or two in the family album somewhere. Will try and put it here later.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Most of us have probably started off with cycling before becoming the rider or driver which we are now today How many of you still own your childhood cycle in running condition or plan on restoring one which may be gathering dust in a corner of the house ?

While I don't have the first small bicycle where I learnt to balance on two wheels, I still have my 2nd Cycle which is a full sized one, got during my school days in running condition. Here are the details:

Hercules MTB Cannon Barrel
Year: 1998
Price: Rs 1900
I had the same cycle. Exact same color. This was the most "00" friendly bike back then.

I had a shortlist of Cannon Barrel, Terrain Tamer (double suspension) and Trailblazer
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:12   #7
BHPian

Heheheheh My first "adult" bicycle was given to me in the early 70s (I was born in the very very early 60s).

In those days we used to do what's called "monkey-pedal" to ride bikes that were too tall for us. Oldies here might probably remember this. This involvedriding the bike standing on the Left pedal with the Right leg going through the diamond-frame to be able to put the Right foot on the Right pedal and then pedal that way.

It was one that belonged to my grandfather. It was a 1940s Raleigh "sports" bike from England. Made of steel (but felt like cast-iron - it was so bloody heavy) with no gears.

I promptly removed the chain guard, the mud-guards, turned the handlebar upside down to get a more crouched riding position; and at one point even removed the brakes (yes, both of them) and used my footwear directly on the rear-tyre (just like Fred Flintstone LOL) to brake instead. I think I may have been dropped on my head as a baby.

I also bought a 60-tooth crank because I wanted to go faster while pedalling slower (the bike came with a 48-toothed crank); but that resulted in the "pick-up" being so difficult and heavy that I nixxed it after a long time and went back to the 48. I knew nothing about torque or gearing in those days heheheheh.

The bike looked like the following picture.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?-img_27181280.jpg  

Last edited by tilt : 20th August 2021 at 10:23.
tilt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ym82-0-Lv3Y
Gorgeous bike. With proper pro tour type down tube friction shifters. Very very rare. You can find the hero Hawk and even the BSA Mach 10 (tougher) but I cannot remember the last time I saw a Concorde.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mine was the famed Hercules MTB Rockshox (Terrain Tamer) in glittering grey. The Painjob was fab during its time. And I owned the first Cycle with Shock absorbers in my colony. Literal show stealer with its rugged tyres, inverted handlebars and shocks (single speed though)

Still remember the day i got it, had it placed in my Hall and was admiring her all though the night. Wish i could teleport back in time just to relive some of these memorable experiences !

Which bicycle did you own in your childhood?-1409054024609.jpg
Well, at that point, we never had a camera so missed framing her.

Brought in 1997 and was having her till 2006 after which it was rusted beyond repair and we gave it off for scrap.
Mi10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Mine was the famed Hercules MTB Rockshox (Terrain Tamer) in glittering grey.
When I first saw this cycle in the showroom, I tried to push the front forks in but the suspension was super rigid. Maybe cause it was brand new.

If I recall, the cycle right next to this launch was the Street Cat with front suspension and factory fitted gears. This had narrower tires than the Hercules.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
When I first saw this cycle in the showroom, I tried to push the front forks in but the suspension was super rigid. Maybe cause it was brand new.

If I recall, the cycle right next to this launch was the Street Cat with front suspension and factory fitted gears. This had narrower tires than the Hercules.
Yes extremely hard shocks and infact the only time i managed to put her to use was when braking with both brakes. It is an irony that it never budged when going over potholes or patched roads
Mi10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

My first cycle was a maroon BSA- SLR when I was in the 6th Std. Later I got a Hero Swing- 18 gears & dual suspension which was quite a novelty in 1997-98. This thing was stolen later from my college. Yes, I used to ride it to my college in 2003 unlike most new gen kids who have a motorcycle right from school. I still have the Shimano instruction manual that came with this cycle!
My SOP is that to overcome the loss of anything, you need to get something better than the original stuff you lost. Else, one will keep cribbing about how the older stuff was better. So to overcome the 'grief' of this stolen cycle, I bought another Hero Swing- this time 21 gears and dual suspension again in 2004. But sadly the original one had better 'gear-ratios' and I could never enjoy this new cycle too much. Later gave that away to a kid near my house who had a nasty crash later and the cycle was gone forever. Since then I have had no cycles.

I have been contemplating getting one. probably Stryder- Hector, but I am not sure if I can devote some time to cycling.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 20th August 2021 at 10:46.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My first cycle was a full size Hercules in 1981. Apart from riding, have even got sacks of rice on this - loading the bag across the central space , with the pedals to support it - and pushing it for about 5 km. When the road was down hill, sit on the carrier. Not possible with today's cycles which are mostly meant for riding.

But the first one I remember riding on - front bar or back side on the carrier was the good old Humber, made in early 70's. School drops were on this.

But no pics of either of these.

But I didnt monkey-pedal till after I learnt riding. When in Coimbatore, our family friend had a cycle that he used to ride to college. Their house was a couple of hundred feet into the colony, and when uncle - Shri CRK Rao, a lecturer at Coimbatore Institute of Technology, was passing by I used to take it from him, and ride it standing with left foot on the pedal. I inadvertently got hang of the balancing this way. Then one day asked him to teach me. Got on to the seat, started pedalling with him holding the cycle seat so he can grab me if I fall. He was with me for one round, and then let me go. Those first few rounds of excitement mixed with a bit of fear of falling .. !! Decades later, those moments and uncle letting me ride his cycle, and teaching me are still cherished.

Last edited by condor : 20th August 2021 at 11:04.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:13   #14
BHPian

Mine was Hercules MTB Dx

Ocean Blue with silver forks.

Brought her home in year 2000 for princely sum of 1,850/-

It was one hell of bike.

Handed it over to my cousin after my 12th. Don't know what happened to her afterwards.
dpat17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:25   #15
BHPian

Oh boy! Just as I was thinking about picking up a second hand bike for short commutes!

My first bike was the ubiquitous BSA SLR! My whole high school life revolves around this bike! Sadly, my father gave it away after I had a big crash. I only had it for like 3 years.

Last edited by corvus corax : 20th August 2021 at 11:27.
corvus corax is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks