Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 13:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

1st bicycle for my kid?

I have been trying to do some basic research on a cycle for my 3 year old.
He is around 95 cm tall and weighs around 15kg.
I have been trying to buy the Btwin 3-5 year old cycle but it is out of stock since quite a few weeks.
What I liked in the specifications is the free wheeling feature and something about using 30% lesser effort to brake.

I haven't been able to find a similar feature set in the traditional brands from my childhood. i.e. Bsa, Hercules, Hero etc.

Obviously I do not want to spend too much as this will be used by him for 2-3 years at the most, but I also do not want to get one from a no name, unknown brand with suspect safety and reliability.

I am open to suggestions and would ideally like to spend less than 5000.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1st bicycle for my kid?

I would still suggest waiting for a B'Twin bike. B'twin is the most reliable brand if you are on a budget. Plus, if anything goes wrong, good service is always available.

The main thing is, the bikes are better put together than most other brands. Even if they cost a little more than bikes from other brands, they are stronger, more reliable and safer. Those are important points when it comes to our children.
Aditya is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:39   #3
BHPian

I am in the same boat as you. Endlessly waiting for the Btwin 3-5 years bike to be available. I went ahead and bought the smallest bicycle (no-brand) in Vijayawada where I am currently located and the kid just doesn't like it as it is slightly bigger for her. It is quite heavy too. The brakes are tight and non-functional. I will wait for few more months and buy the 4-6 years bike from Decathlon when I return to Hyderabad.
Currently the kid is happy with a balance bike which she has been riding since she is 2 years old. Now the kid is too tall for it but still loves it.

I would suggest to wait for some time and go for the 4-6 years bike from Decathlon. Maybe you can consider buying a scooter in the meantime.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:33   #4
BHPian

Was in exactly the same spot 2 years ago, I brought my daughter a locally manufactured cycle, Allwyn Princess.
Things that I considered + should have considered, and would suggest you as well...

a. Kids will outgrow the cycle soon, so take a size bigger.
b. Take a cycle with least add-ons (accessories just make it heavier for kids to ride initially).
c. Take a cycle with normal tires and not the thick full rubber ones, keeps the cycle lighter to ride.
d. Give the color choice to kids.

I made mistake on points b and c. My daughter's cycle has a basket, backrest and carrier; to top it up, the tires are hard rubber, the cycle's heavy and the fully rubber tires make it even tough to ride.

Last edited by iamahunter : 27th August 2021 at 12:45.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a bit of a departure, but you can try a brilrider.
I bought one for my son when he was 2, I think. He used it for about a year, before we got him a proper pedalled one.
Also, resale is fantastic on these things.
Attached Thumbnails
1st bicycle for my kid?-618umfwmbql._sl1280_.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:23   #6
BHPian

I got the Kross Bike extreme 20T for my son in 2019.
He was 3.5 years old then. It is well built, no-frills and is used regularly even now.

I remember paying ~7K then.
Attached Thumbnails
1st bicycle for my kid?-bicycle.jpg  

shatananda.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:30   #7
BHPian

I got this for my Kid when she was about 3. It comes in a few sizes. But now, I am not seeing this on their website. See if you can find them in a store near you.
Attached Thumbnails
1st bicycle for my kid?-bsa-ringo.png  

vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 10:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I would still suggest waiting for a B'Twin bike. B'twin is the most reliable brand if you are on a budget. Plus, if anything goes wrong, good service is always available.

The main thing is, the bikes are better put together than most other brands. Even if they cost a little more than bikes from other brands, they are stronger, more reliable and safer. Those are important points when it comes to our children.
That's what I thought as well. In fact yesterday I had visited a local cycle shop and saw that most of the kids cycles were of shockingly poor quality and very heavy.
I wonder if things were this bad when I was my son's age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
I am in the same boat as you. Endlessly waiting for the Btwin 3-5 years bike to be available.

I would suggest to wait for some time and go for the 4-6 years bike from Decathlon. Maybe you can consider buying a scooter in the meantime.
I have been tracking the website daily for the past few weeks and there seems to be no change in the stock position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Was in exactly the same spot 2 years ago, I brought my daughter a locally manufactured cycle, Allwyn Princess.
Things that I considered + should have considered, and would suggest you as well...

a. Kids will outgrow the cycle soon, so take a size bigger.
b. Take a cycle with least add-ons (accessories just make it heavier for kids to ride initially).
c. Take a cycle with normal tires and not the thick full rubber ones, keeps the cycle lighter to ride.
d. Give the color choice to kids.

I made mistake on points b and c. My daughter's cycle has a basket, backrest and carrier; to top it up, the tires are hard rubber, the cycle's heavy and the fully rubber tires make it even tough to ride.
Like you what worried me was the weight and lots of unfinished edges etc. Even in reputed brands such as BSA, Hero etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Its a bit of a departure, but you can try a brilrider.
I bought one for my son when he was 2, I think. He used it for about a year, before we got him a proper pedalled one.
Also, resale is fantastic on these things.
There is a similar bike at Decathlon as well.
Just wanted to know if your kid could balance himself when he moved to a pedal bike or were the training wheels still needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
I got the Kross Bike extreme 20T for my son in 2019.
He was 3.5 years old then. It is well built, no-frills and is used regularly even now.
Was he okay with a 20T size tyre, how tall was he at that time ?
This gives me confidence to pick up the 16T from Decathlon

I was actually hoping I could gift him the cycle for his birthday, end of September.
The way things look currently I have 2 options.

1. Buy a balance bike which he might outgrow in a matter of months. He is 95 cms already and the bike is rated for upto 100cm. Buy the 4-6 year cycle once he outgrows this.

2. Buy the 4-6 year old cycle right away and hope he grows into it soon enough.

I am leaning towards option 1 as of now even though it is more expensive as I hope to get additional value from the balance bike when my 3month old grows into it.

I would still ideally like to pick up a proper pedal cycle meant for his size from a reputed manufacturer for not too much money
Old 28th August 2021, 11:09   #9
BHPian

My suggestion is still option 2.
It is too late to buy a brilrider now. Below is a pic of my kid on the brilrider when she was 3 years 2 months and it was too small even with seat raised to the highest position.
1st bicycle for my kid?-screenshot_20210828104625351_com.instagram.android.jpg
The best to buy is when the kid turns 2.
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 09:57   #10
BHPian

Was in the same situation in Dec-2018. Went to Chennai-Broadway area and got my son a Hero Sprint Stark 20t. He has been using it regularly since then and now, after almost 3 years, has almost outgrown the cycle. I should also say that my son is taller than all his peers - so outgrew the cycle pretty sooner than normal.

On the cycle - it has been really good - and I would definitely recommend.

Costed Rs.4000/- - mainly because I got it from the wholesaler in Broadway. The same cycle in regular retailers was costing around 5.5-6K then.

Here is a picture of the cycle.
1st bicycle for my kid?-herostarkgreen.jpeg

Last edited by callvvijay : 29th August 2021 at 10:01.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:00   #11
BHPian

I got a BTwin for my younger son when he turned 3. Call it genes or just plain human capability, both of my sons started riding the cycle without any training wheels or help. Just mounted and flew off. As my older son turned 8, I got him a Schnell and I regret the decision. Bad quality, constant punctures, gear shifter failures and what not. The BTwin that I have and my sons cycle are just amazing after all these years.
I can safely say that BTwin is a better bet today.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:59   #12
BHPian

Bought a 14” B’Twin bike for my daughter when she was 3 and I can vouch for it. She used it a lot with and then without stabilisers. No service needed, not too heavy and you can see the current condition in photo that I just clicked. Just bought her a 20” for her 7th birthday, 24” was taller for her but am sure I have to get that in 3 or so years.
I too have a ST520 L Rockrider for myself .

Before Decathlon days, I checked for some options in India to gift my niece/nephews but the quality was awful, all Chinese imports, even Hero/BSA looked very bad.
Attached Thumbnails
1st bicycle for my kid?-59ce5e0c67994dce8966970d706d5734.jpeg  

1st bicycle for my kid?-1ecb317c61094f6a91f64c347b1818dd.jpeg  

ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:49   #13
BHPian

I would suggest you to wait for the btwin 3-5. Ergonomically it is just perfect. My kid is using it from 3 years and the only maintenance required is to check the air pressure once in 3 months.
Brands like hero have added features like a basket attractive stickers but messed up on the riding position and ergonomics.
Old 29th August 2021, 12:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Was in the same situation in Dec-2018. Went to Chennai-Broadway area and got my son a Hero Sprint Stark 20t.

Costed Rs.4000/- - mainly because I got it from the wholesaler in Broadway. The same cycle in regular retailers was costing around 5.5-6K then.
Can you please give the name of the wholesaler shop?
Old 29th August 2021, 13:16   #15
BHPian

I also would suggest going for a BTwin.

I bought a BTwin for my daughter in Decathlon for her 5th birthday. The bike is light, good quality and even though bit on the pricier side (5.5k), it is worth it.

1st bicycle for my kid?-whatsapp-image-20210829-3.39.37-am.jpeg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks