Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 15:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: I became State Champion | Maharashtra State Masters | 2 States & 37 years apart

Congratulations Doc, Very happy for you and its a surprise to know that you are 50+. I have just turned 40 and you are one of the inspiring figures for me to keep pedaling.

Wish you all the best for future endeavors
Old 30th November 2021, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: I became State Champion | Maharashtra State Masters | 2 States & 37 years apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Congratulations Doc, Very happy for you and its a surprise to know that you are 50+. I have just turned 40 and you are one of the inspiring figures for me to keep pedaling.

Wish you all the best for future endeavors
Thanks bro. I just turned 51 in November.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:42   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So ... yesterday I became State Champion in the Men 50+ age category
Congratulations and best wishes for the nationals!

Please tell us about your diet and fitness routine so we can aspire to be as healthy as you in our 50s.

Last edited by Electromotive : 30th November 2021 at 15:45.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Congratulations and best wishes for the nationals!

Tell us about your diet and fitness routine so we can aspire to be as healthy as you in our 50s.
Thanks buddy. As what we in Hindi call a "double haddi" (my dad, a rugby player in his school days, was a "triple haddi") I have always struggled with my weight since my 40s.

I was 76 in school. I was 70-75 in college.

Till I was a smoker, till my late 30s, my weight stayed somewhat in control. Hovering around 80. Then once I quit, in my 40s I ballooned to close to 100 kilos. Have tried all the fancy diets. And gyming. And briefly swimming. But I love cycling.

I eat everything. I cut out white sugar 10+ years ago. In anything. Coffee or Tea. I found Keto and IF horrible. Made me feel horrible. Not to mention my cycling went for a toss and whatever little (if anything) I lost (feeling horrible and weak and low energy and sleepy) I quickly put back on.

My own version of the magic diet once that was very effective for me was to completely cut out 4 foods from my life.

1) Roti.

2) Bread.

3) Rice.

4) Potatos.

That basically (along with pulses and legumes) is 60% of our Parsi diet. The other 40 being eggs, milk, chicken, meat and fish. So basically I would stuff my face with only the vegetable or non veg dish and bowls of daal. I lost a lot of weight that way. Looked and felt a lot younger.

But I was not cycling that time.

I tried the same last month (leading up to my Poona race). And I felt miserable. Tired. Sore. Longer recovery. And low performance.

Then I threw out all extraneous gyaan. And went with my gut (pun intended!)

Stuffed my face with potatos, rice, rotis. And the other stuff as well of course. Switched out breakfast from eggs to oats (or cornflakes) with milk and chopped fruits (banana, apple). And switched the eggs to lunch with either rotis or rice (not both) and a veggie. Dinner I eat whatever is made at home.

I don't take whey. I don't take BCAA. Or any supplements. Or minerals. Or vitamins. I just eat FOOD.

And I never use hot water to bathe. Not even on the coldest winter day. Even in the middle of the night (when I often bathe before hitting bed).

Now the next step is to get more sleep. And cut back on my coffee, so that I can use it more effectively when I really need it.

I would strongly suggest all cyclists to follow this guy Dylan Johnson on You Tube. He is a champion racer and a coach. And talks a lot of sense backed with strong scientific research and peer reviewed papers.

It was he who opened my eyes about stretching ... which used to be my Holy Grail post my ITBS injury in '17-18. I do not stretch anymore. I do not foam roll. I do religiously warm up and cool down, and I have worked a lot on my cadence over the past 2 years (first on the trainer, and then on the road). Its not necessarily made me much faster. But its helped with fatigue and recovery during and after hard efforts.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 30th November 2021 at 16:14.
ebonho is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:08   #20
BHPian

Congratulations, doc! You are an inspiration. Good luck for the upcoming races!
gary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:59   #21
BANNED

Quote:
It was he who opened my eyes about stretching ... which used to be my Holy Grail post my ITBS injury in '17-18. I do not stretch anymore. I do not foam roll. I do religiously warm up and cool down, and I have worked a lot on my cadence over the past 2 years (first on the trainer, and then on the road). Its not necessarily made me much faster. But its helped with fatigue and recovery during and after hard efforts.
Thanks for that detailed reply, doc.

I also used to suffer from back pain and fatigue after I started my first job.
Started running regularly and some yoga with oil massage and that has completely alleviated all issues. Like you said, health fads are useless at best and dangerous at worst.
Electromotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 19:57   #22
BHPian

Very inspiring and should push many of us to get back to some of our skills when in our youth. Thanks to so much interest in sports there are opportunities at all ages. Keep going and much success in future.
Old 30th November 2021, 22:34   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the win, doc!! Here's to many more victories for you in the future and a safe racing experience.

On a side note though, how do you get registered in such cycling competitions( in which we compete at the state level)? I've always been into cycling and had been looking for ways to get into a few state competitions and get to know more cyclists, I've been biking now since I recieved my driver's license, but would very much like to get back into cycling
Old 30th November 2021, 22:36   #24
BHPian

Many Congratulations, Doc!

You are a lodestar for the cyclists/ aspirants on the forum!
And, certainly, you don't look your age!

Best wishes for all your endeavours!
Ride hard, ride strong!

Cheers!!
ysjoy
ysjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 23:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
Very inspiring and should push many of us to get back to some of our skills when in our youth. Thanks to so much interest in sports there are opportunities at all ages. Keep going and much success in future.
Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
Congrats on the win, doc!! Here's to many more victories for you in the future and a safe racing experience.

On a side note though, how do you get registered in such cycling competitions( in which we compete at the state level)? I've always been into cycling and had been looking for ways to get into a few state competitions and get to know more cyclists, I've been biking now since I recieved my driver's license, but would very much like to get back into cycling
Information is generally disseminated through cycling associations, local clubs and cycling whatsapp groups. And finally word of mouth. It's very difficult for out of towners to get to know of local races elsewhere, or in a different state. But district, state and national races, and big marque events like the Nandi climb, BBCH, WSSM, Sahyadri Classic, Sugar Free, Nagar, Baramati, etc are relatively more pan India and advertising is better and the process more streamlined. Ultimately the best way to place yourself in the best position to receive information is to be close to a like-minded group of current and ex racers who together have a large collective network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysjoy View Post
Many Congratulations, Doc!

You are a lodestar for the cyclists/ aspirants on the forum!
And, certainly, you don't look your age!

Best wishes for all your endeavours!
Ride hard, ride strong!

Cheers!!
ysjoy
Thanks so much buddy.

Last edited by ebonho : 30th November 2021 at 23:24.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 07:39   #26
BHPian

This is so inspirational for lazy butts like me. Many congratulations.

And to think that our country still prioritizes private transportation (mumbai coastal road is another example) when the debate should be shifting towards people focused infrastructure and public transport. At least in dense urban clusters.

What members of this forum achieve in-spite of the apathy around them is amazing.
dust-n-bones is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 07:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing Doc - winning these masters events is a commendable achievement. Best of luck for the nationals - make Team BHP and Maharashtra proud.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So ... yesterday I became State Champion in the Men 50+ age category in the 4-day 2nd Maharashtra Masters Games held at Indapur.
Hey Doc, first of all please accept my sincere apologies for being so late in congratulating you on this very forum through which we came to know each other. I was busy chatting with you on Whatsapp and congratulating you in Strava, but somehow completely missed out this thread. Many congratulations, once again You have made all of us very proud being associated with you.

Quote:
This means I now get to race for Maharashtra (hopefully in the official state colors ...) in the Masters Nationals to be held in Hyderabad.
All the very best for the upcoming Nationals.

Quote:
Podium positions in those games will decide who represents India at the World Masters at Kansai, Japan in May 2022.
I am sure you will make it to the World Masters as well. Just keep us posted on your preparations and we would keep boosting your morale.

Quote:
World MastersWhen in high school, I had represented Bihar state in the 100 km Team Time Trial in the Sub Juniors category at the Nationals in Bikaner, Rajasthan. I think I was picked up by our state coach (and Asiad gold medalist) the legendary Mr. Amar Singh when he convinced my parents to send me for training after watching me win a local race (and an Agfa camera!) organised by XLRI where I believe I beat his son Jasvinder who was a year or two elder than me and already racing for Bihar at the time.
Vow, that's some interesting piece of history from your life. So you were into cycling right from your school/college days, super.

Quote:
But for me personally this is frankly a fairy-tale ending (or just the beginning ...), one which I did not dare dream about as I systematically pushed and planned my way through the last 4-month build-up, so I thought it really deserved a thread of its own here, rather than simply adding another post to the Bike Photos thread. I hope in my small way this inspires other cyclists here to train hard(er) and strive for bigger things which all of us have the untapped potential within for, just needing the drive and hard work to translate into results.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for creating this thread and sharing with us not just this race but a part of your childhood history and dream, really very inspiring.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
This is so inspirational for lazy butts like me. Many congratulations.
Thanks buddy. We Indian cyclist don't need much (or anything extra) from the powers that be and public. Just decent roads (which everyone wants) and consideration from other road users (again, what everyone wants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Amazing Doc - winning these masters events is a commendable achievement. Best of luck for the nationals - make Team BHP and Maharashtra proud.
Thanks Hayek. Need to now quit faffing around and get serious about my training. The Nationals (another winner, 40-45 category, informed me yesterday) are supposedly slated for February 2022. That leaves us with just a solid two months to train now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hey Doc, first of all please accept my sincere apologies for being so late in congratulating you on this very forum through which we came to know each other. I was busy chatting with you on Whatsapp and congratulating you in Strava, but somehow completely missed out this thread. Many congratulations, once again You have made all of us very proud being associated with you.
Thanks bro. You've just come back from a big event yourself, and I understand how long the afterglow and chats with family and friends face to face and online lasts.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 15:13   #30
Team-BHP Support

Great stuff Ebonho. This is excellent news - hearty congratulations and all the best for Hyderabad. Its been a busy calendar of cycling events with DC (Pune Goa) last weekend and Sahyadri Challenge over the last weekend along with these Masters event as well.

Just started following you on Strava as well. Hope we can ride together sometime on one of my Pune visits. I’m usually around Baner when I visit.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed