Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 09:32   #1
BHPian

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one

Cycling My Passion (Road to recovery and beyond) – A rather lengthy one!!

As a process to recuperate from Angioplasty i was told to start almost entire activity chart from scratch, i had to walk slow, i couldn't think about running for some time, weight training was out of question and even driving around was supposed to be at minimum, the only thought coming to my mind "Well, how am i supposed to live like this" The first 2 months all i managed was walks in my veranda, then followed by walking my dog. There was nothing beyond this I was allowed to do so in short life was boring.

In meanwhile my wife had gotten vouchers from amazon, and she purchased a home exercise cycle, the brand and product were nothing writing home about, it was a simple DIY product and i don't think any R&D had gone in making it, post some local jugaad i got it working to my comfort and was hooked to it alongst my latest love for cryptocurrency!! (below is what amazon calls a workout bike)
Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-img_e0786.jpg

So 6 months gone my itching to do something more involving kept growing, at the same time I noticed my elder brother who stayed a few blocks away had gotten himself a MTB to shed the extra flab he had accumulated over the lockdown, as much as I knew him his enthusiasm was bottled with a quick expiry date !! so when I checked the cycle I noticed even the plastic packing was intact and it was lying utmost unused, didn’t bother explaining so just got it for myself, got it serviced locally and adjusted to my proportions and took it for a spin. Loved it, so asked the Cardio if this can be a viable option to walking aimlessly around, a good 6 months had gone and as he’d checked my vitals, gave a go. (my brothers MTB, a sturdy cycle)

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-img_e0796.jpg

Once I had clocked enough of kms to gain requisite confidence and strength riding MTB locally and occasionally over the hills I thought of going places and for that I needed guidance, there was no dearth of cyclists to my knowledge, two of my seniors had converted road cycling from hobby to passion, I could always go to them but that would be asking a heart surgeon the remedy to viral cold. Few years ago, I had by chance met a forest service officer who had taken up road cycling coaching over weekends, so contacted him, incidentally he was of medical background by education so understood my predicament in totality. Based on our rather long discussion we bottled to

• I needed a proper road bike if I wanted to “Go Places”, albeit the geometry of the road bike would be different, one gets used to post regular riding.
• Based on my physical bearing Firefox Aeon700C was the model he recommended, here I might say I am big proponent indigenous products as first and foremost option. I am competent authority and have tons of experience on durability of Indian made products.
• Luckily, we managed to locate a store in Panchkula which had the model, immediately headed there and made the purchase. The bike costs 38K in totality.
• I was advised to immediately go for a proper helmet, and few must have accessories like gloves, riding goggles, powerful headlight & multiple taillights, cycling shorts, gel-based seat cover (must for road bikes) & fluorescent colour jacket (there was no compromise on my maroon sweatshirts ever). Decathlon to the rescue, also got a key lock.
• At this moment I was planning only to do road biking and not touring, so rear rack for saddle bags etc were not thought of but as per my knowledgeable acquaintance they would come along soon!!
• Most important advice given was to understand the basic nuances of the bike, I got hold of the local cycle mechanic instead of going through YouTube videos, in mater of a few months under his tutelage I could change a tyre with my eyes closed alongst other things.

The Cycle and essentials

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-img_e0791.jpg
Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-img_e0793.jpg
Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-img_e0790.jpg
Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-img_e0792.jpg

So now riding began, yes, the geometry was utterly confusing to start with, the gears were positioned differently so were the brakes, turning head behind was a task with other minor impediments, but say in a month or so I was comfortable riding. I started slow, basically just from Solan to Panchkula later up to Chandigarh, further up to Ambala, Kurukshetra, Karnal and one fine day reached Panipat (that’s 220km from my home), I was elated.

But then came the rains. I just couldn’t handle the cycle as well as before. The tyres would skid mercilessly on braking, and I had couple of close shaves. For any person on blood thinners that’s a good final call. Called up my acquaintance who suggested few changes but honestly, they flew over my head, concluded I would ride the MTB when it rains and continue road biking when it doesn’t, the arrangement worked marvels. However as always, I was itching for more.

Then one day something of the unexpected happened, as it flows.

Wife: Listen, 4 of my medical college friends with their husbands have planned vacation in Goa over the coming long weekend, I told them you are game.
Me: Wait, what?
Wife: We are going to Goa; I know you been itching for a holiday for long.
Me: I come, my cycle comes with me, if that’s ok, I am game or else take my photo.
Wife: Ok that’s doable, come with that thing and disappear when you are not needed, and it will be a great holiday.

I was sold, i travel light anyways, with cycling clothes it was lighter than usual, called upon one of the umpteen Aggarwal packers and they helped me packing the cycle to airline regulation. We flew Indigo and they made no fuss about the well packed cycle, I was pretty sure there was some Aggarwal in Goa who could help me on the return flight. We travelled in a minibus from airport to the resort, so the package was duly gobbled up well. The packing done was excellent. Nothing gone here and there so assembled it and remembered I had forgotten to carry the air pump, the hotel staff had cycles, so someone arranged a pump, and I was all sorted. I joined the gang in cycling clothes for buffet lunch much to amusement of all, once that was done, I vanished.

Day 1- Varca Beach – Dabolim, google showed two paths, I chose the one which would go through the tiny Goan villages just to absorb the goa feel, one thing about goa is street dog menace, they come chasing and they are joined by another gang making a big gang and they chase long, I did what I had to do to get them gone ensuring no animal was hurt in the process!! Goan villages have a terrific calm about themselves, cycling around them made me feel very pleased unlike on main roads where traffic keeps you on toes. I had an old buddy in Dabolim whom I paid a surprise visit, he was extremely pleased to see me but lost me when I narrated the nature of the holiday!! Being a teetotaler and a vegetarian Goa doesn’t have too much to offer for my kinds however Veg Xacuti and Sol Kadi are a must have. I left my hosts by late evening and preferred to take a different route avoiding any to be encounter with my four-legged friends

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa12.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa7.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-zuriwhitesandresort.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-beachandproperty.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-photo4jpg.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa10.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa1.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa2.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa3.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa4.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-goa5.jpg

Day 2 – Later the day I planned to visit another buddy who had settled in Agonda. I was advised to take the coastal road to agonda, this meant I passed through caravela -cavelossim -betul-nuem-kakolem-cola-agonda, ride was stunning to say the least, never tiring, old bud was mighty pleased to see me. Agonda beach has unparalleled beauty, a must visit for all. Old bud surprisingly was also into cycling, and he’d gotten himself a gravel bike, I didn’t want to show my ignorance as it would have rubbed hard on ego, but we decided to cycle back together to my resort and I put a 500-buck wager, as I ended up winning the plan of studying more on a gravel cycle was put to hold!!
Stunning agonda beach snaps

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-ag1.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-ag2.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-ag3.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-ag4.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-ag5.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-ag6.jpg

Day 3 – Hotel staff had highly recommended Savri waterfall inside the Netravali wildlife sanctuary, it was roughly 50kms from the resort again passing through goan villages, the route I took was excellent, it passed through essence of Goa, sadly without a map or google maps ones bound to get lost, the place is just not marked properly for tourists, if done deliberately for preservation purposes then it’s worked to the T, however it’s a must see for all visiting, try hiring a cycle if you really wish to enjoy Goa, motorcycling is just a waste of time, hardly involving and Goa is extremely cycle friendly when you go into the interiors (my view) The waterfall though trickled down as it weren’t monsoon, was still amazing. I loved it.

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-wf.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-wf1.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-wf2.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-wf3.jpg

Day 4 – Home bound, luckily a decent packer came and packed the cycle the evening before, he charged premium but then he packed well, I profusely thanked and tipped the hotel staff for their help on the waterfall’s destination. We flew Indigo again and no fuss was done over the cycle packing, reached Delhi and bode farewell to the gang who had patiently allowed me to be myself!! We drove to my in laws place before heading to Solan the day next. Thus ended a small but rather riveting cycling holiday for us, I enjoyed it.

I decided to thank my wife for this vacation by taking her to dinner at one of her favourite dos and she ordered fish, how does one east fish in Delhi after spending 4 days eating same in Goa remains mystery!

My key points or a takeaway from my cycling experience

1. Always better to cycle in a group.
2. Find your own pace and live with it, gradual increase is the way to go.
3. Stretches done for marathon running help in cycling life too.
4. Cycling clothes are must. Cycling shoes are a loot. I use simple power shoes and they work fine.
5. Headlights, taillights should be more than one and should be overtly bright. Don’t compromise on here
6. Research well on helmets, try one before purchase. Don’t compromise on here.
7. Wash cycle with lukewarm water, especially in monsoon immediately post ride.
8. Oil the parts that are prone to rust.
9. Post a long ride take the cycle to a cycle mechanic to get brakes checked alongst other things
10. Road rage when on a cycle doesn’t help.
11. Expect the unexpected on the road, some will be pleasant memories, and some won’t, that’s life.

I consider myself in many ways a product of Gods Benevolence, my next ride would be from Solan to Jwalaji temple to pay my obeisance to all mighty, more when that happens!!
tatafanatic is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one

Thanks for sharing! Moving thread to our new bicycle forum .

Will go to our homepage later this week.
Old 6th January 2022, 22:36   #3
BHPian

Beautiful pictures! As you found out, cycling is a wonderful way to see the world and it has its own highs and lows. One moment you will be enjoying riding in beautiful surroundings and the next you could be struggling to fix a flat tyre or some mechanical issue. Having a good understanding of the cycle is important for touring.
When you are flying with your bike, you need not go to the Packers. It hardly takes 10-15mins to DIY! At times I ride to the airport and disassemble & pack it at the airport itself.

This is how I fly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Attachment 2165537
Ready for the flight at RGIA
Some airports/airlines insist on getting the bike wrapped in plastic:
Quote:
Attachment 2025430
The rules to carry a bike on the flight are different at different airports in the country. Every time I fly out of Hyderabad, I was asked by different airlines to get it wrapped in plastic.
Looking forward to your upcoming trips!
P.S: You can post pics from your daily rides here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...rips-here.html (Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!)
papr23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 22:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post
Cycling My Passion (Road to recovery and beyond) – A rather lengthy one!!
Happy to hear about your cycling journey! All the best for future trips and more fun!

Adding to @papr23's suggestion, you can also take your cycle through railways parcel/luggage; especially if you are traveling on the same train. Extremely easy and affordable and you'll get the packaging done by 3rd party 'agents' at the station itself for a nominal sum. I have availed this option with absolutely no damage to the cycle. And just get off at the destination, get air filled in the tires and ride back home!
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 20:39   #5
BHPian

Absolutely phenomenal travelogue, Sir. Your cycling journey has motivated me to save up to buy a decent bicycle for some awesome commutes. Looking forward to more amazing escapades from you! BTW, do you stay in HP? It's one of my all-time favorite states to go to.
Old 7th January 2022, 21:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Cycling My Passion (Road to recovery and beyond) – A rather lengthy one!! !!
Can you share the links of the headlights and tail lamps that you have purchased?

As someone who's also rookie cyclist, this would help me immensely.
Old 7th January 2022, 23:25   #7
One
BHPian

Quote:
.....I did what I had to do to get them gone ensuring no animal was hurt in the process!!
It's not that am not curious about things like gravel cycle and picturesque waterfalls, but this is what I am really intrigued about - can you outline the steps involved here or do they actually involve steps being put to use?
Old 8th January 2022, 10:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Can you share the links of the headlights and tail lamps that you have purchased?
Shop for ones at Decathlon, they survive the rains, decently built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
It's not that am not curious about things like gravel cycle and picturesque waterfalls, but this is what I am really intrigued about - can you outline the steps involved here or do they actually involve steps being put to use?
I just shoo them away a bit loudly.

They sense fear hence advisable to not cycle fast, one might just get hurt in the process, hurting them with stones and sticks is not way to go as well. Just a loud shoo does the trick, carry a whistle and blow it hard.

Quote:
This is how I fly:
Excellent suggestion, will try. Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
you can also take your cycle through railways parcel/luggage; especially if you are traveling on the same train. Extremely easy and affordable and you'll get the packaging done by 3rd party 'agents' at the station itself for a nominal sum. I have availed this option with absolutely no damage to the cycle. And just get off at the destination, get air filled in the tires and ride back home!
Many thanks I did read a post by Mr. Sinha on same lines of taking cycle through train.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th January 2022 at 08:57. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 8th January 2022, 11:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Crisp and concise thread, especially loved the optimal narration of D1-D4.

My learnings :
1. Keep my posts as optimally worded as yours while giving all the relevant info and entertaining.
2. While I had "covered" Goa and the surroundings in a 10 day motorcycle trip but your trip opens an even better option of flying in and cycling on your own. Meets my point of having freedom of movement.

Rapidly approaching a situation where cycling would be prescribed this is an excellent idea

Last edited by shancz : 8th January 2022 at 11:56. Reason: grm
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 08:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Cycling My Passion (Road to recovery and beyond) – A rather lengthy one!! ]

Once I had clocked enough of kms to gain requisite confidence and strength riding MTB locally and occasionally over the hills I thought of going places and for that I needed guidance
That was an awesome recovery and wonderful travelog as well! wish you a million miles of happy riding!

One question, when you said you had clocked enough kms to get confidence and strength, did you have a daily plan of riding stipulated distance and how was your road to recovery? Can you throw some light on that, if that's ok for you to share.

Praveen
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 11:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
That was an awesome recovery and wonderful travelog as well! wish you a million miles of happy riding!

One question, when you said you had clocked enough kms to get confidence and strength, did you have a daily plan of riding stipulated distance and how was your road to recovery? Can you throw some light on that, if that's ok for you to share.

Praveen
Hi,

Road to recovery is 50% Physical activity + 30% Food habit changes + 20% Medicine

My schedule was broken as under, i set myself 9 months for recovery, when i say recovery i mean a comfortable position where all vitals post procedure are considered normal. I followed the below path daily, kept 3 hours/day for physical activity strictly. Had i not taken up cycling, in all probabilities it would have been swimming then.

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-scheduler.jpg

Here i might add, monitoring HR, pace etc is utmost vital, one should invest in either of three (Fitbit / Garmin / Apple Watch), rest brands are best forgotten, however if them three are beyond range one should get Dr Trust Oximieter. Recovery has to be measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Rapidly approaching a situation where cycling would be prescribed this is an excellent idea
I have nothing against motorcycling, in a different era I scootered across India and even once to Bhutan, those were most memorable times indeed. However cycling is much more involving, the development in tech related to cycling also has made it more fun and interesting. For anyone interested this thread in particular is really good

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...h-highway.html (My 9 days of cycling on the Manali-Leh Highway)

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th January 2022 at 08:58. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
tatafanatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 09:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However cycling is much more involving, the development in tech related to cycling also has made it more fun and interesting.
Agree, I have enjoyed cycling a lot during my early years and well into my first job in Bangalore. It was 10 mins faster than even a motorcycle since I didn't have to wait on the signals, I could just carry it over to the other side road and continue. It was a Hero Hawk with a Shimano 10gear retrofitted, costed me 4056 in 2008 when Decathlon was a B2B enterprise. The first day I got the bike I did a 70km "visiting friends" trip across Bangalore.

It is better freedom than a motorcycle since its truly a find a way or make one yourself and motorcycles have the option to cover more distance in shorter time but then have to deal with all the regulations surrounding a motor vehicle.

Cycling is actually catching up quite fast, a lot of my friends have/are moving to a car+cycle garage since most of their motorcyles are just gathering dust and wasting insurance money. A few have sold(including the HAWS guy), a few have already got the cycles but are still gathering courage to let go of the motorcycle which was bought after much aplomb and expectations but they'll eventually do the same.

Agree on the tech changes in cycles, a colleague had a Trek worth 60k in 2011(my motorcycle was 80k) but he used to do the Nilgiri rides and introduced me to the concept of long distance cycling.

I would get a cycle too but my current situation doesn't allow that for now, hopefully soon, thanks for the link by Mr. Sinha, will read
Old 10th January 2022, 14:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rest brands are best forgotten
Not the one sold by Decathlon. Most pros consider it better, longer lasting, tougher wearing, and having fewer signal dropouts than the expensive Garmin and Wahoo straps that cost 2 to 3 times more.

I got mine in 2019 and touchwood its been working flawlessly since then.

This is the one I use ...

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-kalenjidualheartratemonitor.jpg

Cycling, My Passion | Road to recovery and beyond | A rather lengthy one-kalenjidualheartratemonitorboxed.jpg

A review by Road cc -

https://road.cc/content/review/26501...t-rate-monitor

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:17   #14
BHPian

Oh God!!, over here when I have done 20km in one day, I think of myself as a king of cycling. More power to you!!
Sach_511 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Not the one sold by Decathlon. Most pros consider it better, longer lasting, tougher wearing, and having fewer signal dropouts than the expensive Garmin and Wahoo straps that cost 2 to 3 times more.
will check

Last edited by Aditya : 20th January 2022 at 18:47. Reason: Quote tag fixed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks