Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 13:04   #1
BHPian

Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag

Just another bikepacking travelogue

Hey guys

After these last couple of years, where no major biking tour was done by us, we planned a quick Konkan getaway. But all the members of our regular group could not join, a couple were out of practice and one was down with flu like symptoms. Anyway me and Manoj went ahead and planned a route. Though this route was in Manoj's mind for some time, it had not materialised. So the stars lined up, everything clicked and we fixed a date.

We were to start from his place in Pune on Friday and return by Sunday. But as I am 500kms away from Pune, my tour included Thursday and Monday too plus driving with my bike to and fro. The goal was to ride bikes and we were not to do much of sightseeing.

So as per my drill, loaded my cycle in Scorpio, didn’t use the outside carrier this time as I was alone with all the space and the car too was not needed from Pune. Removed the bicycle wheels and rear jump seats for a nice fit, also loaded some spares and extra tubes. And packed sufficient theplas and pickles too.

A word of caution though, we have normal t-shirts and shorts in our cycling kit, and it doesn’t make a difference as we pedal the target distance and I crossed the milestone of pedalling 31000kms during this trip.

Our planned route Pune-Tamhini-Diveagar-Janjira-Kashid-Alibag-Pen-Khopoli-Lonavala-Pune
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-screenshot-20220127-19.49.14.png

Last edited by 2himanshu : 16th February 2022 at 22:32.
2himanshu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Just another bikepacking travelogue

For the friends who like videos and want to ride with us here is the YouTube link

Last edited by 2himanshu : 16th February 2022 at 22:09.
2himanshu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:11   #3
BHPian

Day 1

Off to Pune

The journey started early and completed in approximately 9 hours. Took a couple of loo breaks and a quick road side stop for home packed lunch. Assembled the bike as soon as I reached at my friend’s place, attached the carriers to mine and his bike and stocked up some chocolate bars from market.

Had early supper, called it a day and went to sleep.

Library shot of Scorpio on under construction Samriddhi Expressway
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-faba6f8e19244911bb21ef9948b5c55b.jpeg

Last edited by 2himanshu : 16th February 2022 at 22:09.
2himanshu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:21   #4
BHPian

Day 2 #BikePacking

Pune to Diveagar via Tamhini (Distance 156.36 km, Elevation gain 1445m, Riding time 8h 54m)

Name:  IMG_8251.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  116.8 KB

Elevation Chart
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-screenshot-20220216-21.50.57.png

Recorded Temperature
Name:  Screenshot 20220216 at 21.51.08.png
Views: 622
Size:  15.8 KB

We woke up early, got ourselves ready and strapped our backpacks with bungee cord to the carriers. Did a trial run in society premises and left as the pre dawn light spread.

First Selfie
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8165.jpg

Took the Paud road via Chandni Chowk where we came across other local cyclists. The Sun rose over the Manas lake and it was a beautiful sight.

Sunrise over Manas Lake
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-8baad74bfdad428f80ad2fd15ce58d6f.jpeg

The city traffic got reduced after Paud and it was a beautiful day to ride with blue skies and decent roads, we prayed for it to continue. After a steep incline, we were riding along side the Mulshi lake and stopped at Quick Bite restaurant for breakfast where we had Medu Wada & Uttapam. The coconut chutney was fresh & fabulous.

First Climbs
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8170.jpg

Mulshi Lake
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-534c5d511ede485fb5dcbe0161944200.jpeg

Now it was almost lonely in the Tamhini ghat as it was a weekday with very less traffic and the surrounding trees provided nice light & shadow play on the road. The decline was fast till the Mangaon MIDC from where the weather god turned up the heat, to 11. To make the things worse, we have to ascend a steep ghat section and the Sun was sucking away our energy fast.

Somewhere in the Tamhini Ghat
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8173.jpg

Roadside stop for food
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8179.jpg

So decided to take a lunch break near some roadside bushes and had some packed theplas. After about half an hour, the temperature came down by 2°C and we started to pedal again. The rolling hills continued one after the other almost till Mhasala. It was dark when we reached Diveagar. One of my friend had suggested a place to stay, but not being the tourist season, it was not available. We came across Agerra resort near Uttareshwar temple, rented a room and showered. The manager suggested to get supper outside, so we headed into town on foot for a Konkani thali, and we both being vegetarians, did not have any sea food. Filled our tummies at a local mess, got back to the resort and called it a day.

Uttareshwar Temple
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8183.jpg

The Agerra Diveagar
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8184.jpg

Last edited by 2himanshu : 17th February 2022 at 05:57.
2himanshu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 15:09   #5
BHPian

Day 3 #BikePacking

Diveagar to Pen via Murud-Janjira, Kashid & Alibag (Distance 103.18km, Elevation gain 691m, Riding time 6h 20m)

Name:  IMG_8252.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  81.5 KB

Elevation Chart
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-screenshot-20220216-21.52.32.png

Recorded Temperature
Name:  Screenshot 20220216 at 21.52.41.png
Views: 602
Size:  16.2 KB

Again woke up early, thought how it was raining as stars were also shining, but it was only humidity showering from the trees. Got ourselves ready, strapped the bags and woke Mr. Tushar, the manager at Agerra. He quickly made some tea with bread & butter for us and opened the gates.

Dawn outside Diveagar before the onset of fog
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_e8186.jpg

The route was coastal today with sea on one side and mighty Sahyadri on other. With the beautiful sites and many Brahminy Kites accompanying us, it was start of a nice day but the Sun was still in hiding as the fog was getting dense until Dighi jetty with maybe 100-150m visibility.

Foggy Morning
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-b1a48611126a4b4ab884c52f87a9cec6.jpeg

Nature's Pearls on a Spider Web
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8189.jpg

The Waiting Ferry
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8192.jpg

We immediately booked ourselves on the next ferry to Agardanda, parked our bikes on it and had some spare time till the ferry left so had very oily Poha with tea at the port entrance. By the time ferry left, the fog was gone and we enjoyed the short sea travel.

Cycles at Sea
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8194.jpg

Chilling
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8202.jpg

On the Ferry
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-31c0ad962af9478e8d11d2ba4e9cb0be.jpeg

The coastal area after Agardanda had beautiful coconut groves everywhere and we pedalled through Murud & Janjira. The rolling hills, ascents and descents, were giving us constant company. The road conditions were mixed today with broken tarmac sections till Kashid beach.

Coconut Grove
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8206.jpg

The Mighty Janjira Sea Fort
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8209a.jpg

The Siddi Palace, still a private property
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8215.jpg

The sight of sea was very inviting and I was itching to get into the waters. Soon we reached on beautiful Kashid beach, immediately changed to swimming trunk and enjoyed the very refreshing swim in the sea.

Kashid Beach
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_20220122_113423.jpg

Lazying Around
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_20220122_121206.jpg

We again had the last of theplas for lunch and ordered some snacks from local beach shack. It was afternoon when we started again and it was quite hot with the sun blazing on. After the Revdanda bridge, there were too many speed breakers and almost continuous populated areas till Alibag where we had earlier planned to halt but it was only 3 O’clock, so we decided to reduce our last day’s distance and carry forward upto Pen which was around 35kms away.

After a short ghat section, there was a nice and fast descent but traffic was heavy so we had to be careful. There is a steel plant before Pen and as road work was going on, movement was slow for some time. Found Hotel Shivrai to spend the final night on bike packing, freshened up had dinner at adjoining restaurant and slept early. As per our request, the hotel staff neatly parked our bicycles safely in the lobby for the night.

Last edited by 2himanshu : 17th February 2022 at 22:31.
2himanshu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Day 4 #BikePacking

Pen to Pune via Khopoli, Khandala & Lonavala (Distance 113.24 km, Elevation gain 1275m, Riding time 6h 55m)

Name:  IMG_8253.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  109.5 KB

Elevation Chart
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-screenshot-20220216-21.53.27.png

Recorded Temperature
Name:  Screenshot 20220216 at 21.53.48.png
Views: 621
Size:  15.9 KB

Left from the hotel early, it was still dark outside. It had rained in the night but the weather was clear in the morning. We stopped for some tea at a popular franchise and started towards Khopoli with sun rising. The road was under construction and alternate patches of completed & non-completed sections were too boring and tiring to ride.

Sunrise outside Pen
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8217.jpg

On Pen-Khopoli Road
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8221.jpg

Vada-Pav @ Khopoli
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8222.jpg

Had vada-pav at Khopoli and started our climb towards Khandala via old Mumbai-Pune highway. Today at least the Sun was showing some mercy by not blazing in full force. This is one super climb and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather was pleasant at Khandala but as it was Sunday, there was a large traffic jam at Lonavala. Being on bikes though, we made out of it fast.

Starting the Climb
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8224.jpg

Khandala Ghat
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_8246.jpg

Wind too was favouring us and we made brisk progress and took a food stop at Mauli veg. restaurant somewhere near Vadgaon on highway. Soon we crossed the Talegaon toll and ride was almost boring till Manoj’s place. We made it safely, touch wood! by 4 O’clock.

Immediately we dismantled my bike and loaded into the Scorpio for return journey the next day.

Last edited by 2himanshu : 16th February 2022 at 22:08.
2himanshu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 17:19   #7
BHPian

Day 5

Return from Pune

Started early, stopped at Aurangabad for lunch at a friend’s place and reached home by late evening.

It was a refreshing and rejuvenating trip with nice climbs, sun, sea and views of Konkan. Used SJCAM action cam & my iPhone 7 to shoot and Bryton Rider 320 to record data.

Some statistics

Total Distance on Bikes: 372.78kms

Total Elevation Gain: 3411m

Total Riding Time: 22h9m

Thanks for reading and signing off!
Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag-img_20220121_094438.jpg

Last edited by 2himanshu : 17th February 2022 at 08:34.
2himanshu is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 07:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:06   #9
BHPian

Re: Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag

Lovely route Himanshu with a mix of rolling terrain, climbs and coastal roads. Liked the video too.
Brilliant you were able to pull off 100+kms each day despite the heat!
I usually keep it 80km max per day and make very little progress between 11am to 3pm.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
Day 3 #BikePacking

[center]Diveagar to Pen via Murud-Janjira, Kashid & Alibag (Distance 103.18km, Elevation gain 691m, Riding time 6h 20m)

The coastal area after Agardanda had beautiful coconut groves everywhere and we pedalled through Murud & Janjira. The rolling hills, ascents and descents, were giving us constant company. The road conditions were mixed today with broken tarmac sections till Kashid beach.

The Mighty Janjira Sea Fort

The Siddi Palace, still a private property
Your perseverance to cycle that long is astonishing. It feels really great every time I see Murud Janjira (my native) mentioned on TeamBHP. Did you get a chance to visit the fort? It's is an amazing architectural marvel.

How was the road condition from Murud to Alibag now? I haven't had a chance to go since COVID.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 13:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Lovely route Himanshu with a mix of rolling terrain, climbs and coastal roads. Liked the video too.
Brilliant you were able to pull off 100+kms each day despite the heat!
I usually keep it 80km max per day and make very little progress between 11am to 3pm.
Thanks pal
Normally ride 30kms 4-5 days a week. And the fun and feeling of achievement in cycling is so nice, it keeps one going. Your threads were motivation for us By the way, are you on Strava?
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Your perseverance to cycle that long is astonishing. It feels really great every time I see Murud Janjira (my native) mentioned on TeamBHP. Did you get a chance to visit the fort? It's is an amazing architectural marvel.

How was the road condition from Murud to Alibag now? I haven't had a chance to go since COVID.
Thanks for reading The road conditions are mixed from Murud to Alibag. There are many broken tarmac sections but road work was also going on. And no didn’t visit the fort or any other tourist places except the Kashid beach as it would have consumed much of our riding time as we had only 3 days to complete the route. Main goal was to pedal around and soak in the Konkan atmosphere. Of course your hometown area is very beautiful with sea, hills and lovely groves of mango, coconut, beetle nut & jackfruit.

The ride was very refreshing & has left us wanting for more.

Last edited by 2himanshu : 18th February 2022 at 13:54.
2himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 15:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pal
Normally ride 30kms 4-5 days a week. And the fun and feeling of achievement in cycling is so nice, it keeps one going. Your threads were motivation for us By the way, are you on Strava?
Regards
Happy to hear that 2himanshu! I created an account in Strava ~9years ago. It used to suck battery or I used to forget to start the app. So gave up. I am not big on numbers or accessories.
Quote:
A word of caution though, we have normal t-shirts and shorts in our cycling kit, and it doesn’t make a difference as we pedal the target distance and I crossed the milestone of pedalling 31000kms during this trip.

I hope you were using cycling shorts at least?
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 15:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
I hope you were using cycling shorts at least?
Yes was using MTB under shorts
2himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 16:39   #14
BHPian

Re: Just another bikepacking travelogue | 2 friends on bicycles | Pune - Diveagar - Kashid - Alibag

Congratulations for crossing the milestone of pedaling 31000kms during these 5 days. Riding for nearly 24 hours and gaining 10000 feet is no mean achievement. You guys are tough and blessed with strong will power. All the best for your future rides and thanks for sharing the journey with excellent photographs.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 18:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is some intense riding because of the elevation gains. Even driving a car on Konkan roads feels taxing. Excellent tour!
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks