Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2022, 15:33   #1

Hey everybody. They say, "Better late than never". So, let me share my nightmare with Scott India team and one of their dealers from whom I purchased my first road bike.

Just a month after purchase and clocking a little less than 100kms on my Scott Speedster 40, I was shocked to see that multiple spokes on my bikes front wheel are loose and the spoke nipples have fallen into the tyre. This was immediately reported to the dealer who had a very casual approach and said it's a common occurrence and not a big deal. He retensioned the same spokes and gave the go ahead to ride the bike.

Somehow it didn't feel right for a brand new bike from a reputed brand and hence I reached out to the Customer Support of Scott India.

The customer service associate said in his very first statement that "This shouldn't have happened at all and it's the first time he's heard about it". Furthermore he said, "The spokes need to be checked only during quarterly or annual maintenance". He mentioned that he too owns a Scott bike and never faced any such issue and would be highly disappointed if he would have to. (I have the recorded telephonic conversation).

He asked me to ride the bike to see if the problem still persists but my request to Scott India and the dealer was to take the bike for inspection to see for any manufacturing defects. This request was not paid heed to but rather a wave of false allegations were thrown at me including threats to take legal action against me. I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams that this is how the brand would try to solve the issue.

Very hesitantly, I rode the bike, at the customer support agent's request and guess what? MID RIDE, the spoke came off entirely from the wheel which I saw as a threat to my personal safety and abruptly stopped my ride then and there. This spoke came off the very same wheel whose spokes were 'apparently' retensioned. This incident after countless requests for inspection intensified the gravity of the matter.

Scott India stated that the onus was on the dealer to ensure proper assembly of the bike and that he and his mechanic are responsible for this blunder. Rather than pulling up the dealer for deficiency in service, what's more shocking is that they offered me a free helmet for the traumatizing experience I have had.

After my safety was endangered once again by the hands of Scott India and the dealer, finally they asked me to drop the bike with the dealer for inspection and committed that they would get back to me within 24 hours. Interesting, right?

Post 72 hours of zero feedback on the bike from Scott as well as the dealer, I am informed out of the blue that without my permission the dealer has authorized himself to file for warranty on my behalf. So I am in a total identity crisis that do I own the bike or not? Is it my money or not since everybody is taking decisions as per their whims and fancies. I am further informed that the Global Quality Team has advised to replace the front wheel.

After my safety being put at risk on more than one occasion, inspite of countless requests to concerned authorities and providing them with the proof of my claims (images, audio recordings) and dealing with 4 different people every time, I have lost faith in the brand and hence requested a refund. Till date, I was told by the Scott team that regardless of where I bought the bike from, I am a Scott customer. Now when I have demanded a refund due to service lapses and the product being defective, I am told that I have to sort it out with the dealer and they have refused to take the ownership of this deficiency in service.

My fellow consumers, you can understand my plight that where does a genuine customer stand when a defective piece is given to him? This can happen with anybody. All my pleas have gone on deaf ears and my hard earned money, down the drain.

If the root cause is coming from elsewhere in the bike as it was already fixed once but the same problem recurred, I want to know that since they are compelling me to accept a defective piece with the replaced wheel, tomorrow, god forbid if again my safety is at risk, who's willing to take the responsibility? I am in a typical Catch 22 situation.

PS- I have posted on Twitter, Instagram and recieved enormous support from family and friends, but the brand continues to turn a blind eye to the matter. Hilariously, the Social Media team liked my post only to realize their 'Oops Moment' after a while.

I am still adamant on a refund and am after the brand and dealer but they continue to ignore my request and my bike is still with them.

Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India-spoke1.0.jpg

Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India-spoke1.1.jpg

Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India-spoke1.2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 12th April 2022 at 09:30. Reason: As requested
jai_asnani98 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 08:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India

Definitely seems like awful customer service from an expensive brand. They clearly need to work on their communication skills & dispute resolution mechanisms. That being said, as long as they process the warranty claim perfectly and replace the wheel, you should be satisfied. I don't think a full refund would be in order here.

Work with the brand, get your bike fixed and enjoy your rides .
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_asnani98 View Post
I was shocked to see that multiple spokes on my bikes front wheel are loose and the spoke nipples have fallen into the tyre. This was immediately reported to the dealer who had a very casual approach and said it's a common occurrence and not a big deal. He retensioned the same spokes and gave the go ahead to ride the bike.
No, this is not common at all. The customer service associate was perfectly right in his opinion.
Quote:
...the dealer was to take the bike for inspection to see for any manufacturing defects. This request was not paid heed to but rather a wave of false allegations were thrown at me including threats to take legal action against me.
This is extremely pathetic customer service. I'd suggest first reporting your own post/thread name and asking the mods to put the the dealer name. Scott isn't the main party at fault, but the dealer is. Let others get the benefit of knowing whom not to approach for future purchases. Also once done, share this thread with the Scott customer service team. They seem to be atleast responding / listening to your complaints, even if there's delay in their communication.

Quote:
Post 72 hours of zero feedback on the bike from Scott as well as the dealer, I am informed out of the blue that without my permission the dealer has authorized himself to file for warranty on my behalf. So I am in a total identity crisis that do I own the bike or not? Is it my money or not since everybody is taking decisions as per their whims and fancies. I am further informed that the Global Quality Team has advised to replace the front wheel.
I get your anger, but this is the correct step. The bike is not faulty, just the wheel is faulty. And good to hear the Scott QA (/Global Quality Team) is taking the right decision on your behalf (replace instead of repair). I'd suggest checking with them and pushing them to get the other wheel replaced too as a precautionary safety measure. Given that they have taken action without just pushing the dealer to do the necessary steps, I'd say this seems plausible.

Quote:
If the root cause is coming from elsewhere in the bike as it was already fixed once but the same problem recurred, I want to know that since they are compelling me to accept a defective piece with the replaced wheel, tomorrow, god forbid if again my safety is at risk, who's willing to take the responsibility? I am in a typical Catch 22 situation.

PS- I have posted on Twitter, Instagram and recieved enormous support from family and friends, but the brand continues to turn a blind eye to the matter. Hilariously, the Social Media team liked my post only to realize their 'Oops Moment' after a while.��

I am still adamant on a refund and am after the brand and dealer but they continue to ignore my request and my bike is still with them.
I would suggest you to continue with the bike and keep an open conversation with the Scott customer support team. So far your bike (frame, components) is working fine, and from a 3rd person's view, it seems a case of a faulty wheel and horrible customer service from a dealer. Scott make great bikes and you should focus on that going ahead. At this point, if I were in your shoes, I'd consider the main product (cycle) not faulty but rather a component of it which has been rightly replaced instead of being pushed to repair.

Keep that channel of communication with the global service/support team open and make sure they understand the reasons for enabling that. I'd suggest to move ahead and focus on happy cycling days ahead!
ninjatalli is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

This is a really unfortunate experience and they could have certainly managed their communication better. Can you please mention the dealer as well so other readers are fully aware?

I am with GTO and Ninjatalli on the resolution though - if they are replacing the entire wheel under warranty then that seems on the face of it an appropriate solution. To expect a full refund or a full bike replacement would be overkill IMO. Its not like any part of the frame has a manufacturing defect.

I would say get the wheel replaced, put the experience behind you and enjoy this lovely machine. The good thing with bicycles (unlike cars / motorbikes) is that right off the bat, you can service and maintain them with a mechanic of your choosing. You can dissociate yourself from the dealer with immediate effect if you didn’t like your experience with him.

Lots of competent bike maintenance shops around - if you share your location in Mumbai I would be happy to make a few recommendations.

Cheers.
Axe77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Lots of competent bike maintenance shops around - if you share your location in Mumbai I would be happy to make a few recommendations.

Cheers.
Do a mention of those on this thread (Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts) also please, if you don't mind
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:23   #6
BHPian

On the converse side to give an example of how it could be, I tweeted decathlon because my rock rider has rust in the handle bars and a few other bolts and pieces. I had the same model in Europe where it was street parked in the rain or snow, beaten on and used in all weather conditions and salty roads yet had no rust anywhere.
The rusty Indian one was off-course out of warranty but I still thought to let them know on Twitter with some photos.
To my surprise with in an hour I got a call from the store and the cycle expert their told me to bring it by whenever I can and he will see what he can do.
That professional and prompt response even after the bike was out of warranty was commendable and this was a cheap entry level bike.
Doge is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:52   #7

Just to be clear, the same issue has occurred twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That being said, as long as they process the warranty claim perfectly and replace the wheel, you should be satisfied. I don't think a full refund would be in order here.
This is where it goes wrong. Due process has not been followed.
1.The dealer being my first point of contact did not advise to file for warranty.
2.After escalating the issue with the company, neither did the Warranty Support Team nor the Customer Support Team advise to file for warranty. I'm not sure why? Had I been told to go for warranty in the first incident itself, things wouldn't have gone so far.
3.I beg to differ that a full refund is in order here in lieu of all the events(experience with the bike, experience with the dealer and experience with the Scott Team).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
No, this is not common at all. The customer service associate was perfectly right in his opinion.
Yes, he very clearly denied the dealer's claims as well as the Warranty team's claims and was the only person in this entire ordeal to admit their mistake.

Quote:
They seem to be atleast responding / listening to your complaints, even if there's delay in their communication.
They have stopped responding to my mails completely since almost a month and my bike is still with the dealer.

Quote:
I get your anger, but this is the correct step. The bike is not faulty, just the wheel is faulty. And good to hear the Scott QA (/Global Quality Team) is taking the right decision on your behalf (replace instead of repair). I'd suggest checking with them and pushing them to get the other wheel replaced too as a precautionary safety measure. Given that they have taken action without just pushing the dealer to do the necessary steps, I'd say this seems plausible.
My only concern is that why not tell me to go for warranty in the first incident itself? I'm sure hardly any cyclists have found their spoke to come off Mid-Ride.

Moreover, I am seeing shady behaviour. The bike was taken under the garb of inspection and they committed to get back within 24 hours with a concrete solution. Rather they chose to keep me in the dark for 72 hours and told the dealer to file for warranty on my behalf. Just wow. It's beyond my understanding why I wasn't kept in the loop. The Scott QA Team is absolutely bang on and in fact their response has exposed further loopholes in the matter. As per the QA, when the incident was first reported, the affected spokes were supposed to be 'replaced' whereas the dealer retensioned the 'same' spokes. This was not addressed to the QA Team. If inspite of this, the issue was not resolved, then a wheel replacement was advised. So all this while, the dealer has trespassed the due process and recommendations of the QA. Even the Scott Team is not pulling him up for this.

Quote:
I would suggest you to continue with the bike and keep an open conversation with the Scott customer support team.
Again, I am still communicating from my end but recieve no response.

Keep that channel of communication with the global service/support team open and make sure they understand the reasons for enabling that.
They haven't even shared the conversation with the QA Team.

Quote:
I am with GTO and Ninjatalli on the resolution though - if they are replacing the entire wheel under warranty then that seems on the face of it an appropriate solution. To expect a full refund or a full bike replacement would be overkill IMO. Its not like any part of the frame has a manufacturing defect.
The point is that due process has not been followed by them. Manufacturing defects are not unheard of. A simple request from my end was to take the bike for inspection and see for any defects. Neither am I in the capacity nor are you to conclude that the frame isn't faulty. This can only be confirmed by the Technical Team.

Quote:
The good thing with bicycles (unlike cars / motorbikes) is that right off the bat, you can service and maintain them with a mechanic of your choosing.
Nope. It ain't as simple as that. For warranty to come into effect, all repairs/maintenance must be carried out at authorized Scott centres. Doing the opposite voids the warranty. I know a fantastic premium bike shop owner who I would love to give my bike to for anything, but will not since he is not a Scott dealer. You seem to be a cyclist too. I'd suggest you do the same with your bike and read the nitty gritty of the warranty policy.]

Guys, the problem here is that due process has not been followed. I sent a mail to the Country Manager, who gave me two choices, either take a free helmet or file for warranty. If warranty is the best way to go about, then why try to lure me with a freebie? The CM, on hearsay based on what the dealer told him, accused me of many things which I knocked out point by point with proof. He didn't bother verifying the facts with me and indulged in a lot of mud slinging.

While the customer support executive did his job with utmost honesty and courtesy, the higher management is empowered with all the wrong values- inability to take responsibility for service lapses, no conflict resolution skills or desire and arrogance that has no place in a customer centric industry. These factors are what have encouraged the dealer to behave in the manner he has.

Thus, based on all the happenings so far I have lost faith in Scott and am afraid to ride the bike again and still demand a refund. I wish that no one has to undergo the trauma I have.

I am not going to be lucky every time.

"Doodh Ka Jala, Chaas Bhi Phuk Phuk Ke Peeta Hai".

I cannot put my sentiments in a better way than this phrase.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th April 2022 at 13:07. Reason: Fixing quote boxes
jai_asnani98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am further informed that the Global Quality Team has advised to replace the front wheel.
Did Scott / the dealer replace the wheel finally? It is pointless to insist on a refund, because that is not going to happen. People have sought refunds or lemon cars with 10 things wrong and never got it, and yours is a bicycle with just one faulty wheel that is being / will be replaced.

Get a friend who's an avid bicyclist to check out the fitness of your cycle.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. It ain't as simple as that. For warranty to come into effect, all repairs/maintenance must be carried out at authorized Scott centres. Doing the opposite voids the warranty. I know a fantastic premium bike shop owner who I would love to give my bike to for anything, but will not since he is not a Scott dealer. You seem to be a cyclist too. I'd suggest you do the same with your bike and read the nitty gritty of the warranty policy.]
Not really - most (if not all manufacturers) require you a mix of the following
- purchase from an authorized reseller/dealer
- registration of the product sale on the manufacturer's website

The frame is the key part that the warranty clause focuses on; other components have separate terms & conditions. There might be additional conditions such as regular service records to be maintained or sorts but they aren't mandatory; generally, they cater to a reduction in the warranty period (as seen in Scott's warranty clauses). The reason for the ambivalence on the servicing part is actually what @AXE77 was talking about - unlike cars & bikes, cycles are (across the world) allowed maintenance by other vendors/service providers. Of course, there might be specific brands that don't subscribe to that.

------------

Anyway, I'm going off-track. I think the vast majority of replies to your post are pointing out the practical aspect. You wouldn't ask your car manufacturer to refund your car payment and take it back because one of the stock alloy started getting cracks on the first drive itself, would you? Yes, the dealer response & your experience so far sucks. But doubtful if you'd get anything extra other than the helmet they offered.

All the best in your efforts if you still are planning to push for a refund

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th April 2022 at 13:33.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
People have sought refunds or lemon cars with 10 things wrong and never got it, and yours is a bicycle with just one faulty wheel that is being / will be replaced.
Yes boss, you have expressed the harsh reality and 'Customer is King' is nothing but a myth.
I know right! A 'bi'cycle with just one faulty wheel. ROFL

Quote:
Not really - most (if not all manufacturers) require you a mix of the following
- purchase from an authorized reseller/dealer
- registration of the product sale on the manufacturer's website
Well you are right in saying that this differs from brand to brand and the following is what Scott requires:
- Warranty is limited to the FIRST PURCHASER ONLY
- Warranty will be valid only if registration of the product sale on the manufacturer's website is done within 10 Days from the date of purchase.

The warranty clause link you have shared is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a handover report/manual given after purchase which mentions even finer details. Unfortunately, one is not aware of the exact warranty terms till he buys the bike.
Did I mention the Country Manager is using my signature on the handover report as grounds to cover up for their and the dealers mistake? If that is the case, then there should be no warranty clause at all. Warranty service is offered because there are chances of problems arising after purchase/usage. Here the Handover Report is being used as a weapon to challenge me only whereas it is a part of formality during purchase. There is no PDI like in cars where it said I have to hold the technical expertise of a bike mechanic and check the spoke tensioning.

Quote:
You wouldn't ask your car manufacturer to refund your car payment and take it back because one of the stock alloy started getting cracks on the first drive itself, would you?
What if the dealer and manufacturer told you that you have taken a normal car for off-roading and that's what has caused cracks in the alloy, whereas you know since you are witness to it that the car has been driven on normal roads? Moreover, your car is the most expensive in it's the segment from a brand that screams quality, won't you wonder how on earth has this happened? Not to mention that you have been put through hell and back trying to be heard.
Above are the responses I have received through this ordeal.
Would you still trust the Manufacturer?

Quote:
I think the vast majority of replies to your post are pointing out the practical aspect.
Undeniably! There are so many things pointed out which are very helpful.
Just as you mentioned about requesting Scott to change the other wheel as well. This did not occur to me till now and it's a great input! Thanks @ninjatalli

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th April 2022 at 15:05. Reason: Back to Back posts
jai_asnani98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 15:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you please mention the dealer as well so other readers are fully aware?
Quote:

1.The dealer being my first point of contact did not advise to file for warranty.
Moreover, I am seeing shady behaviour.
So all this while, the dealer has trespassed the due process and recommendations of the QA. Even the Scott Team is not pulling him up for this.
Any particular reason why despite such grave issues with both Scott and the dealer, you are still not inclined to mention who the dealer is? Apologies if I missed the identity in the several posts preceding this one.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 17:06   #12
BHPian

I think you need to calm down a bit. You have our sympathies for the ordeal you have faced from a premium bike manufacturer.

You don't need to reply in a crass manner to fellow BHPians who are trying to help you out and are making sensible suggestions.

I have ridden bicycles with broken spokes, no where I felt my life is in danger. There's no need to make a big deal out of it.

For whatever irresponsible manner Scott India have behaved, if the company is currently willing to replace the wheel free of cost, under warranty, that's the best solution to the problem. In my experience, I have found premium bicycle shop owners to be even more snobbish than a car dealer. So I don't expect much courtesy from them.

As ninjatalli said, if the other wheel too can be replaced, then it'd be like a cherry on the cake.

As far as warranty is concerned, I don't get why you are irritated the dealer didn't take your permission. I would have been happy if I didn't have to run circles around my dealer to replace the wheel under warranty.

I have faced broken spokes due to bad roads and a bit aggressive riding. Looking at the pathetic roads in Bombay, the company could have easily blamed it on bad roads, and told that tightening, replacing a spoke and truing the wheel is the best deal they can give. But since they are willing to replace the wheel FOC, all I see is you being unreasonable. They even offered a free helmet which would be easily worth a couple thousand bucks, just because the dealer was insensitive.

The company isn't losing anything. You are losing out on fun times you can have on your bike.
TROOPER is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 20:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure hardly any cyclists have found their spoke to come off Mid-Ride.
I have had spokes broken mid ride. In fact, the first time I broke two spokes at a time. I knew they broke in that particular ride because I had thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the bike prior evening and everything was fine. It was a long-ish ride at about 55km and I noticed them at the point I took U-turn and a water break.

From there I completed rest of the 27+ km distance without issues.
What's more - I live about 120km from nearest Decathlon and finding spokes matching to Triban RC is near impossible in my town.
So after talking to some seniors here I continued riding with broken spokes and covered about 500 kms more before I could go to Deca store in Pune. I tightened rest of the spokes myself with spoke-key I have at home.

The second time it happened I did not even know when it broke. One fine day when giving it a thorough cleaning I noticed it. From my prior experience I continued riding. Weak wheels/spokes is a known issue on Tribans.

The point I am making is that broken spoke, even mid ride, is not a big deal at all. Things like this happen. The worst thing that would happen is that the wheel will go out of tune. While fixing new spoke, they will true it anyway - for free.
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 21:00   #14

My bad for not attaching the images of the spoke. Here they are-
Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India-spoke1.0.jpg

Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India-spoke1.1.jpg

Nightmare experience buying a road-bike from Scott India-spoke1.2.jpg

Quote:
Any particular reason why despite such grave issues with both Scott and the dealer, you are still not inclined to mention who the dealer is?
The names may be revealed at the right time.

Quote:
For whatever irresponsible manner Scott India have behaved, if the company is currently willing to replace the wheel free of cost, under warranty, that's the best solution to the problem. In my experience, I have found premium bicycle shop owners to be even more snobbish than a car dealer. So I don't expect much courtesy from them.
Yes sir you are right. As a matter of fact, the decision to change the wheel has been made by the Global Quality Team(one team for worldwide) who are unbiased so even the India team is compelled to abide with their decision like it or not. I'm sure had this been in their hands, I would have had to run in circles not just around the dealer but company too.

Quote:
As ninjatalli said, if the other wheel too can be replaced, then it'd be like a cherry on the cake.
Again, this is an awesome input!

Quote:
Looking at the pathetic roads in Bombay, the company could have easily blamed it on bad roads, and told that tightening, replacing a spoke and truing the wheel is the best deal they can give.
Been there, done that. They already tried this trick with me.

The thing is, if on raising a grievance, the Company comes all guns blazing at me, I wouldn't want to go through the same ordeal if again any future issues arise. So, for me the best solution would be to end the matter by refunding my money.

@axe77 - Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the warranty clauses. Would sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th April 2022 at 21:52. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
jai_asnani98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 07:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

I have owned two Scott bikes - a Speedster and a Solace. The Speedster served me reliably for 3 years without a single breakdown, while the Solace let me down in two Triathlon events with broken spokes. In my case Scott even did not come forward to replacing the wheels (to be fair, the road conditions were bad). But the dealer provided me with a replacement wheel from his test bike.

Was I unhappy with Scott for those broken spokes? Yes. Was I unhappy with Scott for failing me in two Triathlon events? Yes. Very much. Was it a life threatening situation to blame Scott? No. After all, this is a machine and any machine can fail, how much ever premium the manufacturer is.

In your case, if Scott is asking you to do a warranty registration and is ready to replace the wheel, I would say this is a good deal. Go ahead and claim warranty and replace the wheels and enjoy the bike. I don't think they will do a refund for the whole bike for a broken spoke.

I am not trying to downplay your experience. Just that you need to find a solution and move on. Trying to prove the dealer or Scott wrong or yourself right is a road that would only lead to more stress to yourself and no effect on the dealer or Scott.
graaja is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed