Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 23:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Downside is the brakes need expert adjustment. Pads too close = rotor rub, pads too far and lever gets too much travel.
Don't forget bleeding after regular intervals which can be a giant pain Hydro brakes have their benefits but sacrifice simplicity and easy maintenance/adjustment at home. That is my biggest pet peeve. Too many variables to go wrong v/s rim or even mechanical discs. Fortunately Shimano uses mineral oil which isn't as dangerous as DOT fluid if you mess up.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 19:26   #17
BHPian

re: Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Quote:
Congratulations on your first post
How is the bike sir? Must have covered a fair amount of distance now. Does it require more care than the rc120?
Old 9th February 2023, 07:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aneez, covered 6k + km till now and enjoying every bit of the bicycle. Latex tyres have added to the fun factor by reducing the rolling resistance. And the Schwalbe One tyres in 32 mm are comfortable and grippy. I use 50 to 60 psi in them.

The hydraulic brakes do require attention and care especially while transportation with wheels off. Centering the rotors exactly between the pads is a delicate affair but once properly adjusted they work just fine. Amazing stopping power in the wet (unlike the poor performance of the RC).
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 11:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

one year and 10 k km later on my Addict

@4 June marked a year of ownership of my Scott Addict 30 but the date skipped my mind completely. Now after covering more than 10 k Kms in the last year, a few points to update this thread. Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-10k-km-strava.jpg

The bicycle has given me immense pleasure riding it. Used it over varied terrain but after moving to Mysore 3 months ago roads have been much better than Bangalore and it's surroundings.

Hydraulic Disc brakes: Need to be tended to like a baby, adjustments have to be made very carefully so that the lever travel is not excessive while making sure there is no disc rub. However, they are super effective in all weather and have great feel.

Tyres: The original Swalbe One Tubeless ready 700 x 32 gave me good service till I retired them at around 9000 kms. The tread area was showing cracks but they still had adequate life left in them. Got Victoria Corsa N'EXT tube type from Malaysia for 7k INR a pair in size 700 X 30 and these contribute to the fun on downhills. (Chamundi hill makes for great ride up and down) Moreover, the CORSA brand gives me another 10 Watts of power (mental power) Am keeping pressure at 70/65 Rear/front for smooth roads and 60/55 for rough roads. Total weight of Bicycle, self and equipment 71 kgs.
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20230702104102.jpg

Tubes: Have been using Latex tubes and they do reduce rolling resistance but are a PITA to pump them up every alternate day.

Gear shifting: Butter smooth both front and rear. The rear derailleur needed adjustment around 8000 kms. Half a turn of the barrel adjuster anti clockwise sorted the hesitancy in shifting to bigger sprocket.

Saddle: just about adequate but will need to change it to something more comfortable. Right now saddle is as far back as it can go, a seatpost with 20 mm setback should be my next spend.

Bartape: have been using Cinelli Cork tape 2.5 mm thick and found it to be just right for me. Tried Guee SL Elite but it was too thin for my liking. So now I have taped the Cinelli over the Guee on the drops only.
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20230702104014.jpg
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20230702104046.jpg
goandude is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Re: one year and 10 k km later on my Addict

Quote:
Got Victoria Corsa N'EXT tube type
Probably too late to suggest but why not move to tubeless?they are known to save watts. Suggesting only because it seems your rims are tubeless ready.
nissar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 20:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: one year and 10 k km later on my Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissar View Post
Probably too late to suggest but why not move to tubeless?they are known to save watts. Suggesting only because it seems your rims are tubeless ready.
You are right in understanding the rims being tubeless ready. But the (perceived) hassle of getting the sealant into the tyre at regular intervals, and the messiness associated with it. Quoting Cycling UK "This (tubeless) will most benefit cyclists who ride off road or those who prefer to use lighter weight, more fragile tyres on road. For touring or transport use, tougher conventional tyres with tubes are currentthely more practical."
The roads around here are actually quite good, and smooth. So that's why latex tubes. Cross fingers
Old 7th July 2023, 18:38   #22
BHPian

Re: Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Very good bike and I love your passion for biking. The way you have upgraded to latex tubes and enjoying the subtle differences is what makes going beyond entry level so worthwhile. As the bikes mature and the rider matures the differences stand out more and more and makes this hobby a very fulfilling one. Going to a good carbon bike is one of the best decisions you have made. Now you will never be able to back out from this hobby unless there is a real need to do that. Very happy for you
Old 7th July 2023, 18:42   #23
BHPian

Re: Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Regarding going tubeless, it is not a simple and direct decision. I have elaborately researched on all aspects of this topic. Btw, I too ride a road bike and love to maximize the performance, comfort & looks ��

Simply put, if you don't ride in a very puncture prone area, staying with clincher tyre is advisable. But there are more things to talk as usual if we go deep
Pani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed