Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2022, 09:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Hi Guys, with the present dearth of road bikes available in India at the moment, upgrading my entry level bicycle has become a dilemma.

Background: I presently own a Triban RC 120 for the last two years and have clocked about 20k kms totally @ approx 800 kms a month. I normally ride 30 kms a day and 80 to 100 on weekends. Completed 4 x 200 kms brevets but the last 50 kms of these have been less than enjoyable so sticking to rides less than 150 kms now. My rides have climbs where I use the rear 34 sprocket occasionally.

My 16 speed (11-34) RC 120 with has been a sturdy, all-round performer, but the weak points are the shoddy gear shifts (Microshift FD, RD and shifters) and poor brakes. It weighs in at around 11 kgs.

Have been looking around for endurance bikes and a few that I found in my S size (176 height, 80 in-seam) are the Polygon Strattos S4 with Tiagra groupset, short cage RD and rim brakes for 1L, Strattos S5 with 105, and rim brakes for 1.26L, Scott Speedster 10 with 105 and hydraulic disc brakes for approx 1.5L (stock is not available at present but should be there by end of this month thus pricing is not exactly known). All the above are on alloy frame and carbon forks and weigh approx 9.6 kgs. Then I have the Scott Addict 40 with carbon frame, hydraulic discs, Tiagra groupset, weighing in at 8.6 kgs for 1.86.

The S4 has a 12/28 (max it can take is 30), S5 has 11/30, while the Scotts have 11/32.

As usual you get what you pay for and of these, I feel the Speedster ticks all the boxes especially the pocket. I will not be looking to upgrade from here, so upgradability is not a factor.

I'm starting this thread to invite suggestions and alternatives which I may have over looked.

Thanks

Specs are here:-
S4 https://www.polygonbikes.com/product...strattos-s4-3/
S5 https://www.polygonbikes.com/product...strattos-s5-4/
Speedster 10 https://www.scott-sports.com/in/en/p...edster-10-bike
Addict 40 https://www.scott-sports.com/global/...ict-rc-40-bike
goandude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 10:16   #2
BHPian

re: Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

Have been looking around for endurance bikes and a few that I found in my S size (176 height, 80 in-seam) are the Polygon Strattos S4 with Tiagra groupset, short cage RD and rim brakes for 1L, Strattos S5 with 105, and rim brakes for 1.26L, Scott Speedster 10 with 105 and hydraulic disc brakes for approx 1.5L (stock is not available at present but should be there by end of this month thus pricing is not exactly known). All the above are on alloy frame and carbon forks and weigh approx 9.6 kgs. Then I have the Scott Addict 40 with carbon frame, hydraulic discs, Tiagra groupset, weighing in at 8.6 kgs for 1.86.
Check out Merida sculthura, one of the most comfortable bikes ive ridden. If you can find Fuji bikes, sportif is a good model to consider too, last time i checked, sportif were retailing at a much lower price point too.
Old 19th June 2022, 10:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Check out Merida sculthura, one of the most comfortable bikes ive ridden. If you can find Fuji bikes, sportif is a good model to consider too, last time i checked, sportif were retailing at a much lower price point too.
Thanks for the suggestions. But on the two sites which I am looking at BOTS and Choosemybicycle, Fuji is not listed and Merida Scultura 300 is NA. Moreover, when I find a promising bike my size is not available

Visited RR Cycles Ulsoor, Probike Indiranagar and Cycling Botique, will check out Shah Bikes this week. Any other places worth a visit?

Last edited by goandude : 19th June 2022 at 10:53.
Old 21st June 2022, 16:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scott Speedster 10 with 105 and hydraulic disc brakes for approx 1.5L (stock is not available at present but should be there by end of this month thus pricing is not exactly known).
I too think the Scott Speedster 10 with 105 and hydraulic disc brakes should be a good upgrade for you. I am sure the stocks should arrive in a couple of weeks as informed to me by the local dealer here. My close friend has a Scott Speedster 10 & he has done BRMs of 200, 300, 400 & 600 kms on it quite comfortably.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 04:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all your inputs, especially AutoIndian, got myself a Scott Addict 30 in my size. Need to ride a few thousand kms to share my thoughts on the bicycle.
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 12:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all your inputs, especially AutoIndian, got myself a Scott Addict 30 in my size. Need to ride a few thousand kms to share my thoughts on the bicycle.
Many congratulations goandude. This is a superb bike. You won't repent your decision. It was pleasure sharing with you my thoughts on the bike. And you are really lucky to hold of one.

Please share pics of your beauty. Enjoy it & happy riding.
Old 24th June 2022, 19:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

A few pictures of my bike shortly after bringing it home. Rode it around the apartment complex, with a big grin on my face.
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20220624wa0006.jpg

Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20220624wa0010.jpg

Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20220624wa0011.jpg

Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20220624wa0012.jpg

Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img20220624wa0008.jpg
goandude is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 21:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few pictures of my bike shortly after bringing it home. Rode it around the apartment complex, with a big grin on my face.
Beautiful bike there goandude. I love the clutter free handle bar design. Absolutely no cables visible to the eye. I am sure your legs will be itching to go for a long ride on this.
Old 25th June 2022, 16:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful bike! Wish you many hours and kms of happy riding.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Done around 350 kms so far and added a bicycle computer with cadence sensor.
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img_20220702_164249.jpg

Impressions so far:

the 105 groupset is amazing, shifts both front and rear are super smooth. And this along with the cadence read out keeps me in the sweet spot throughout the ride.

The brakes are too good. Great stopping power and feedback from the levers. You can easily find the pressure that is ideal for stopping. And fun fact is downshifting while braking so you are in right gear to accelerate out.

The 32 mm tyres are very comfortable. Settled down to 55/60 psi F/R could go lower too.

Since I'm not so accomplished a cyclist, can't comment on the advantage or not of the carbon frame. But I have got the geometry spot on, very similar to my old RC 120.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Done around 350 kms so far and added a bicycle computer with cadence sensor.
Attachment 2328535

Impressions so far:

the 105 groupset is amazing, shifts both front and rear are super smooth. And this along with the cadence read out keeps me in the sweet spot throughout the ride.

The brakes are too good. Great stopping power and feedback from the levers. You can easily find the pressure that is ideal for stopping. And fun fact is downshifting while braking so you are in right gear to accelerate out.

The 32 mm tyres are very comfortable. Settled down to 55/60 psi F/R could go lower too.

Since I'm not so accomplished a cyclist, can't comment on the advantage or not of the carbon frame. But I have got the geometry spot on, very similar to my old RC 120.
Love your new ride. Congratulations and happy miles ahead.

I'm also presently riding the RC 120 Disc. How different is the geometry and other than the groupset, what difference do you feel?

Could please give a feedback on the Niterider Mako 250 on following points, light throw distance and spread, battery discharge rate, battery compartment closure system, waterproof and the mount. Photos would be appreciated, specially at a pitch dark area.
Old 16th July 2022, 17:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid42465 View Post
Love your new ride. Congratulations and happy miles ahead.

I'm also presently riding the RC 120 Disc. How different is the geometry and other than the groupset, what difference do you feel?

Could please give a feedback on the Niterider Mako 250 on following points, light throw distance and spread, battery discharge rate, battery compartment closure system, waterproof and the mount. Photos would be appreciated, specially at a pitch dark area.
Thanks
I have adjusted the seat and dropbars to closely match the geometry of the RC 120. The dimensions are quite close as you can see
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img_20220716_164611_dro.jpg
So I'm more than happy with the set up. Max done till now is 4 hours at a stretch and no new aches and pains
The Mako 250 is more than adequate to light up the road, but when vehicles come at you with headlights blaring, the light seems inadequate. The instructions are here. Photos of the illumination I will put up later.
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img_20220716_164855_dro.jpg
Beyond Entry Level | My Scott Addict 30 road bike | EDIT: 1 year & 10,000 km up-img_20220716_164913_dro.jpg
Hope this helps
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 20:42   #13

Whats your 6 month review @goandude and what made you choose the Addict over a Speedster? I am in the same dilemma and as a woman rider the options I have are far less because of my height, but luckily after months of waiting, both these are available now and I am confused if to go for the Addict 30 or Speedster 10.
Old 1st February 2023, 01:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous.mind View Post
Whats your 6 month review @goandude and what made you choose the Addict over a Speedster? I am in the same dilemma and as a woman rider the options I have are far less because of my height, but luckily after months of waiting, both these are available now and I am confused if to go for the Addict 30 or Speedster 10.
Not OP, but I will try to give some input.

If you are confused by the geometry, don't be. These two are almost the same in all their vital numbers except the Speedster has little longer wheelbase - in simplest terms that means it would be more "stable" in straight line going fast but would be slower while turning. I use this site for comparing bike frame geometry (if you have not already) -

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/s...30-2022-xs-49/

I think the decision would come to budget and what frame material you want with everything else being almost equal. The frame material of Addict (carbon) will lead to significant weight savings over Speedster. If you are someone who lives in a hilly area or plan to climb steep hills, low weight will be very handy.

The two materials also "ride" differently from each other. Carbon has slight upper edge when it comes to comfort because it is easier (for manufacturers) to change the layup and make the frame decidedly more compliant or make it hard as per the intended use. Alloy does not have that freedom though new age AL frames are very, very good like Cannondale's CAAD.

With that said, you can always introduce more comfort after the fact regardless of frame material by using ergonomic padded saddle, suspension stems, thicker tires or even suspension seatpost.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 06:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous.mind View Post
Congratulations on your first post

Amol has summarised the differences very well.

The carbon frame, 32 mm tyre at 60 psi combo makes the Addict a very comfortable bike. The 105 groupset gives slick gear changes and the hydraulic discs crisp clean braking even in the wet.

Downside is the brakes need expert adjustment. Pads too close = rotor rub, pads too far and lever gets too much travel.

Most Viewed