Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 07:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.

– Robert Louis Stevenson

Prologue
Ever since I completed the Mangalore - Goa cycling ride, the itch was always there to get the Mangalore - Kerala trip done at the earliest. Back in June itself, I zeroed down to the holidays of December (year-end break) as the time to do this trip. Passed the message around to fellow cyclists (on and off the forum), but could get only one person interested. A few others who showed interest got disinterested when they heard my travel to the starting and ending points was going to be via a train, with the cycle being loaded as luggage on the train. I was extremely comfortable with carrying the cycle on the train but others, unfortunately, weren't.

The lone friend who was interested however wanted to do a shorter version, till Kochi. And he whipped up enough interest in this trip across his cycling friends and a plan started emerging from their side, with them accompanying me till Kochi while I went the whole end till Kanyakumari. Things were looking good at this point.

Then other reasons caused me to change the dates to early December - primarily work-related, but also the fact that end of December, Kerala would be choked up with tourists, kind of helped strengthen the decision to prepone the trip by two weeks. Unfortunately, the friend and his team went on with the Dec end plans so I ended up doing this trip alone.

Itinerary
Nov 29 (Tue): Mangalore to Payyanur (100 kms)
Nov 30 (Wed): Payyanur to Mahe (80 kms)
Dec 1 (Thu): Mahé to Kozhikode (85 kms)
Dec 2 (Fri): Kozhikode to Guruvayur (80 kms)
Dec 3 (Sat): Guruvayur to Kochi (85 kms)
Dec 4 (Sun): Halt at Kochi
Dec 5 (Mon): Kochi to Kollam (120 kms)
Dec 6 (Tue): Kollam to Trivandrum (90 kms)
Dec 7 (Wed): Tvm to Kanyakumari (90 kms)

The plan was primarily to hug the coastline as much as possible and stay off the national highway as much as possible. Primarily due to the fact that most of the highway was undergoing extension from the current 2-lane without divider highway to a 4 / 6 lane (expressway) highway. Some portions I couldn't avoid the NH (e.g. Kannur - Calicut) as alternate parallel roads would be too much of a detour. Ironically, the section of NH that were still untouched (with no work) turned out to be much more pleasant than the sections of NH that already had work underway. Thankfully once I passed Calicut, I could largely avoid the national highway for most of the trip, or at least I only had to do the highway section in the wee hours of the day (primarily before 9 am).

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-capture.jpg

Key Stats
Total distance: 720+ kms
Avg (daily) distance: ~90 kms
No. of days on the road: 8 (+ 1 rest day)
Hours spent on the road: 52 (Generally 6:00am to 12:30pm per day)

Gear / Acessories
I decided to travel light given the weather (heat) and managed without the need of any panniers. My luggage consisted of:
- 1 x TrekNRide saddle bag (to carry luggage)
- 1 x cycle portable pump
- 1 x extra tube
- 1 x multi-tool kit
- 1 x cycle lock
- 1 x mobile (front) holder bag
- 1 x tire repair kit
- 2 x pairs of riding top + pants
- 2 x pairs of light material homewear + other knick-knacks
- Basic cycling gear (helmet, bottles, glasses, gloves, etc.)

Summary
What a wonderful state Kerala is with the rich diversity of flora (and some) fauna. I really envy folks from this state - any city in this state has the mountains and the seas and numerous rivers all max a few hours away. For someone like me who comes from the dry states of Gujarat and Tamil Nadu (read: primarily Chennai), this rich land is literally heaven on earth. It's god's own country - no doubt about it. Having done the whole state now, I'd like to go back and spend a few days at some of the cities/areas that I passed by; top of my mind picks would be Alleppey (probably spend it on a houseboat rather than travel by road), Varkala and Trivandrum (city). And of course, I haven't even touched the mountain sections so that's something I'd reserve to go around on my motorbike instead.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 21:46.
ninjatalli is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 09:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 0: Bangalore to Mangalore

Trip Summary: Within Mangalore
Kms: <20

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221209154808_strava.jpg

Synopsis
The Bangalore to Mangalore trip was an overnight affair with the cycle packed and loaded as luggage on the train we were taking. By now, having done this multiple times, I was well comfortable with the process of taking the cycle on the train as parcel luggage and the whole process was completed without any sweat. Thankfully the train had minimal luggage with only two other bikes accompanying my cycle on the train. Past trips to Mangalore would give rise to humid mornings by the time we reach the city outskirts. However this time, the weather early morning was absolutely fantastic with light drizzles and loads of mist all around.

The weekend was planned as a rest day/weekend to spend with the family and relatives, and going around to temples around Mangalore. I still was able to get the cycle out to go around the city for a short ride and basically get the body ready for the upcoming week of riding. Mangalore kind of gave me what to expect in terms of weather - nice chilly weather with lots of mist early morning till 8 or 9 am and then a blast of instant heat with cool winds (at times) spread over the rest of the day; with the temps cooling off after 2 pm in the afternoon. Ah well, no surprises there as my plan of riding was to complete it by noon every day.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221125_201042.jpg
The Official 90 Rs charge for the parcel service, the unofficial 200 Rs for packaging and ensuring the cycle is loaded safely

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221125_202758.jpg
Always a pleasure when one is able to see the vehicle loaded in front of you

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221126_065712.jpg
Light showers and a lot of mist greet us in the morning

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221126_065743.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221126_075650.jpg
All unpacked and ready for the adventure

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 20:51.
ninjatalli is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 14:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 1: Mangalore to Payyanur

Trip Summary: Mangalore to Payyanur
Kms: 102

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221205173800_strava.jpg

Synopsis
I was up and ready to kick-off by 5 am however the weather gods had different plans for me. Heavy rains all during the night continued till the wee hours and I had to wait an hour before I could start at 6. An hour later, I again had to stop at a roadside shop just before the state border as the rains picked up again. A short while later, I decided to continue ahead with light drizzles accompanying me till the outskirts of Kasaragod when I finally decide to stop and have breakfast.

The highway route from Kasaragod to Bekal was blissful with light cloudy weather and no road expansion work yet started; that meant both sides had wide shoulders for me to ride on with the traffic mostly heading in the opposite direction. A short halt at Bekal fort gave me the break I needed as I got off the highway just before Payannur to head through the backwaters for the halt planned for the day. Overall it turned out to be a good start to the week with the 3-digit figure breached.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_065136.jpg
A brief halt while I wait for the rain to stop

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_071755.jpg
Several parts of the highway had the new sections almost done and all empty - for me to ride on it, while the vehicles had to use the existing highway lanes

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_093945.jpg
One of the innumerable backwater bridges that I crossed

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_095523.jpg
The imposing Bekal fort

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_100019.jpg
One of the perks of starting early - hardly any tourists at the fort

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_100205.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_100556.jpg
Although there were no dearth of lovers "etching" their names at the fort

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_113256.jpg
A sight that became extremely common across the length & breadth of Kerala - huge cutouts and posters of football stars/teams

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_120212.jpg
Off the highway and into the rural routes

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221129_114648.jpg

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 19:19.
ninjatalli is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 19:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 2: Payyanur to Mahe

Trip Summary: Payyanur to Mahe (Puducherry!)
Kms: 78

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221205173735_strava.jpg

Synopsis
My stay for the night was on an island in the middle of the backwaters where I crossed over bridges to get back to the "mainland" just before the sun rose up. Still, the sight of boathouses standing still in the backwaters was a sight for sore eyes. With the longer distance covered the previous day, my halt of the day, Mahe, was much closer and I decided to take it easier, breezing through the day's ride. Even though the majority of my ride was via the NH, a good part of the road being untouched by any expansion work, the ride was uneventful and I quickly crossed over Kannur and reached Thalassery easily an hour before my planned time. So I decided to do some sight-seeing, halting at the (relatively) miniature Thalassery fort and then later passing through the graffiti street where I was exposed to the beautiful graffiti drawn over the entire street. With nothing else to do, I crossed over the river 'border' into the union territory of Mahe (Puducherry) and immediately the first and only entities I could see all around me were
- petrol pumps
- liquor shops

Familiar with the "benefits" of having a union territory close to a dry state (I lived most of my childhood in Gujarat, not very far away from Daman), the sights around me were not new to me but this was a sudden change with what I had been seeing the last two days; and completely different from what's there across the river on Thalassery side. I quickly settled down at my hotel and decided to call it a day early.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_061227.jpg
A sight for sore eyes for sure - and looked so calm in that early morning scene

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_110739.jpg
Serene internal roads before I hit the highway

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_103246.jpg
The compact Thalassery fort

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_103401.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_104424.jpg
with a parking lot that had more 'traffic' than the fort itself

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_110002.jpg
The wonderful Graffiti street of Thalassery

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_105954.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_105541.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_105428.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_105358.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_100813.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_200100.jpg
Rhetorical Q of the day: what is Mahe better known for among the localities...

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 22:00.
ninjatalli is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 00:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3: Mahe to Kozhikode

Trip Summary: Mahe to Kozhikode (/Calicut)
Kms: 88

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221205173659_strava.jpg

Synopsis
The lone restaurant that focused more on food than liquid options had been my go-to place at Mahe. It was then a pleasure to find out some enterprising folks had setup up a makeshift drive-in setup to watch the football match that evening. I decided to join them for a while, which in turn impacted my start for the next day; a decision that I rued over the hot weather all day.

A relative had warned me that Kannur to Calicut is a portion where I should expect a lot of traffic and his words came out true 100%. Unfortunately, the national highway was the shortest route with the option to take a coastal road (alternative) only coming up as I reached closer to Calicut. Plus the weather gods decided to throw in a hot day; and adding to the fact that I had started out late, this was one day I was waiting to finish up fast.

So bad was my situation, I didn't dare to stop and take any pictures and continued till I reached the (Calicut) beach road and got off the highway. By then the afternoon heat was in full swing and I hardly was in the mood to stop and go through the city. Instead, I continued ahead and reserved a homestay a short distance towards the south of the city, right next to the ocean.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221130_194023.jpg
A nice 'drive-in' experience to watch the world cup match (highlights)

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221201_111442.jpg
Some artistic renditions of stars of the soccer world

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221201_111509.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_100013.jpg
One of the first of many 'jankaar' ferries I took to cross over the wider backwaters

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221201_180242.jpg
Some scenic shots at the beachfront well ahead of Calicut city near my homestay

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221201_175420.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221201_175319.jpg
The other end of the bridge had a nice spot to sit and view the sunset - something I realized a bit too late

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 20:56.
ninjatalli is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 00:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 4: Kozhikode to Guruvayur

Trip Summary: Kozhikode to Guruvayur
Kms: 80

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221205173639_strava.jpg

Synopsis
One of my tires (rear one) had worn out completely and had gone bald(er) much faster than I had anticipated. This caused a puncture the previous day which I had replaced with the spare tube I had. As I continued today via internal roads passing through smaller towns/villages, I had the benefit of passing by local cycle repair shops - an entity that's hard to find in cities these days. And got my punctured tube repaired. And a good thing that turned out as the same tire got another puncture the next day and the solution was to replace the tire next.

I had two options for the day's endpoint; either the temple town of Guruvayur or the bustling city of Thrissur. I decided to stay with the former primarily on the aspect that it would have allowed me to continue via internal roads closer to the coast as much as possible. Although I reached Guruvayur by noon, well in time before the temple closed for the day at 3, the crowds at the temple ensured I only roamed around the perimeter instead. My bigger disappointment was on knowing the prasad (paid) was payasam instead of the laddus that I was craving. Alas!

On the positive side, at least I was able to watch South Korea score an upset over Portugal (abled by some help from Ronaldo), all in the comfort of my nice room. Too bad for Uruguay though.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_094143.jpg
One of the many picturesque backwater bridges

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_064214.jpg
And another...

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_101249.jpg
My savior for the day. All for the princely sum of 30Rs only for a puncture repair

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_083454.jpg
Crossing the massive Ponnani river on the way

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_083505.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_085106.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_085221.jpg
The Ponnani rover bridge that I had earlier crossed in the far distance

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_134726.jpg
Guruvayur was pleasantly not too crowded. Atleast at first glance

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_134953.jpg
And then I reached the waiting queues (on the right)

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221202_140412.jpg
And then I saw this queue. It doubles up and then goes all around the tank. All for the temple afternoon meals!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 20:58.
Old 4th December 2022, 00:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 5: Guruvayur to Kochi

Trip Summary: Guruvayur to Kochi
Kms: 85

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221205173538_strava.jpg

Synopsis
After a nice long sleep, I started a bit late but decided to take the coastal route through and through, meandering through narrow inner lanes and adjacent to backwaters and coconut grooves. While this meant at times, I'd be going through slightly bad roads, but there was absolutely no traffic at all.

My breakfast halt was at a nice "all veg" restaurant that was crowded to the hilt (that reminded me of Bangalore weekend mornings) and beyond that it was a gradual ride to the outskirts of Kochi where I had to catch another one of those ferries to crossover and reach my destination hostel for the day at Fort Kochi. The ride today was one of the easiest (mentally) given the fact that I had a rest day planned the day after at Kochi (after 5 days of continuous riding). So eager I was to end the day, I missed out on some scenic / pretty beaches (e.g. Kuzhupilly) up north of Kochi even though I passed by them just a few meters away from the road.

I was meeting up with friends here and had decided to take a day off from cycling and do a bit of roaming around the pretty city on a rented scooter. Kochi reminded me of how our metro cities were a decade or two ago - wide roads, not too much traffic, and mellowed/relaxed kind of driving all around. I noted in my mental diary to make another trip to Kochi during the monsoon. I spent the next 36 hours roaming around the city and especially the Fort Kochi area; hitting different restaurants and cafes (a shout out to the wonderful Kashi Art Cafe with their excellent decor and food).

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_064132.jpg
The route today passed through several small water-bodies

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_064358.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_064322.jpg
Several of these were inter-connected to larger lakes

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_064142.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_065124.jpg
and others were directly flowing into the sea

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221203_120335.jpg
Contrary to my recent experiences, the 'Jankar' ferry connecting to Fort Kochi was a much better machine instead of the ferries I had been seeing so far

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221204_080624.jpg
The excellent breakfast I had at the Gokul Oottupura vegetarian restaurant in the city

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221204_172807.jpg
The beautiful Santa Cruz cathedral at Fort Kochi, right next to the hostel I was put up

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 19:33.
ninjatalli is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 17:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 6: Kochi to Kollam

Trip Summary: Kochi to Kollam (outskirts)
Kms: 118

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221205173504_strava.jpg

Synopsis
A good rest works wonders on the body; and honestly, while I expected so, I didn't realize how refreshed I was after the day's break. I started off early from the hostel much before the sun rose and made my way through a rural road running parallel to the coastline literally, hugging the beach on the right till I reached the beautiful city of Alleppey. The roads to Alleppey crisscrossed numerous canals and waterways that were a sight to watch given the recent monsoon showers the area had received over the last few nights. This probably in my opinion was the prettiest part of Kerala I rode through - and the cloudy atmosphere definitely stuck on till I had well passed ahead of the town of Alleppey.

As I continued further, aiming for roads hugging the coastline, one thing became very clear - how the Kerala coastline was at the extreme impact of climate change. Clearly, the shoreline had been receding inline - this was visible by the huge number of tetrapod blocks that were being set up at several locations to prevent coastal erosion. I wonder how successful they had been so far and how much time was there before the road (that I was traveling on) goes underwater; the sea was literally a few feet away for several sections.

My target for the day was the city of Kollam, a fair 130 kms away from Kochi and a tough one on any normal day. But given the scenic coastal route hugging the beaches that I took, and the much cooler weather I faced, 130 km easily seemed doable. My Achilles heel turned out to be my mobile battery of all things - it was running down to single digits and I had no means to charge it; given the lack of any proper shops or restaurants that I could stop to do so on the route I had taken. I finally called it a day some ~15 kms away from my planned destination and stopped at a highway hotel that was more popular (on google reviews) for its bar on the ground floor than the hotel premises. Thankfully, the rooms were pretty decent and I made a deal with the security to take special care of my cycle so in the end, it turned out to be a good deal.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_053013.jpg
The glorious cathedral looked even more serene in the night

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_064132.jpg
My route mostly went through quaint lanes like these all day

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_064322.jpg
With waterways & small ponds lining my left

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_071143.jpg
And pretty beaches mostly untouched (by tourists) on the right

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_073913.jpg
I crossed numerous canals / waterways like these...

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_074122.jpg
...that were a sight for sore eyes!

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_105610.jpg
The last 40 kms was on a rural road that literally hugged the ocean side through and through

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221205_111022.jpg
Coastal erosion was all over these areas with desperate attempts like these tetrapods to try and delay the damage

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 21:01.
Old 6th December 2022, 17:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 7: Kollam to Trivandrum

Trip Summary: Kollam to Trivandrum
Kms: 90

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221206175552_strava.jpg

Synopsis
Today was an important day given that I would be passing through several scenic spots like Kappil beach and Varkala (beach). I quickly went through the town of Kollam to hit the coastal route as I didn't want to stick on the national highway. This took me through some really broken-down roads at times but the sights & scenes all around really made up for it.

While I passed Kappil beach, I almost decided to make a halt - the weather was still nice & cool, the waves were amazing and I saw several surfers on the beach. But I decided to head ahead as I had planned to walk (the cycle) via the Varkala cliff route; and I wasn't disappointed at all. I surely made myself an interesting sight for the numerous shop/restaurant owners in my cycling gear & with the cycle walking through the trail.

Post that, I continued ahead, again taking a coastal beach-side route towards the destination of the day, the city of Trivandrum. I was meeting a friend who had given me high hopes of having the best sadhya (read: thali/lunch) of my trip; and I surely wasn't disappointed as we landed up at Mothers Veg plaza restaurant. Trust me, the food here was better than the Onam sadhya I have had in Bangalore and other cities. Post that meal, I finally called it a day early - the state border was just ~50 kms away and my destination of this trip was to be reached tomorrow.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_072645.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_073425.jpg
Pretty coastal routes with backwaters on one side and the sea on the other side

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_074211.jpg
The beach here had a nice carpet of purple flowers that were growing on some ground creeper

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_075126.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_075208.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_082354.jpg
At the start of the Varkala cliff trail - a pretty ~3km walk hugging the coastline

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_084427.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_084736.jpg
The trail was lined up with resorts, restaurants and numerous shops - several of them still yet to open up at the time I passed by

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_084752.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221206_140323.jpg
My best meal of this trip - I don't think I'm ever going to enjoy sadhya at any of the restaurants outside Kerala

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 21:02.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 8: Trivandrum to Kanyakumari

Trip Summary: Trivandrum to Kanyakumari
Kms: 92

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-screenshot_20221212_154649_strava.jpg

Synopsis
The toughest part of any activity for me is the last leg. And so was the case when I finally set out to do the last 90-odd kilometers to Kanyakumari from Trivandrum. I made sure to leave early (~5.45am) from my homestay with an extremely surprised & sleepy owner wishing me good luck. Instead of the Trivandrum - Nagercoil highway, I decided to take the brand new NH66 that passed next to Kovalam, a broad 6 lane highway with service lanes on either side. The countryside was still waking up as I quickly made distance and reached the outskirts of Kovalam with misty fogs all around and rolling hills. To my misfortune, I found out the hard way that the highway was still under-construction with large parts of it un-usable which only slowed down my travel speed.

A few hours later, I finally reached the state border and trudged onto the TN side; thankfully the weather was quite pleasant without reaching the hot temperatures I usually experienced by this time. I made a stopover at the Padmanabhapuram palace (also known as Kalkulam Palace), a wonderful Travancore era palace maintained by the Kerala government on the TN side. I soon reached the busy city of Nagercoil which was quickly passed through and onward towards my destination, Kanyakumari.

I finally reached Kanyakumari and headed directly towards the railway station. After a few hours of delay working with the luggage counter folks, my cycle was finally packed and ready to be loaded on the train. I then headed to the coastal point to do some "sight-seeing".

To be honest, Kanyakumari was a huge let-down. The road to the sangamam point is lined with hotels shouting out "BARS" in larger scripts than the hotel service they provide. The place is all messy with an extremely large number of vendors jampacking the final stretch to the viewpoints. I spent less than 15 mins at the venue and instead decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at the railway station only. After a glorious week of sights and sounds across the entirety of Kerala, the destination point Kanyakumari was a major let-down. If I had known this earlier, I would have instead halted at Trivandrum or Nagercoil and spent a day there sight-seeing the places around the city/area.

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_073827.jpg
Pretty sights on either side of the highway with the morning mist still all around

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_073835.jpg
The highway was mostly empty with hardly much traffic after Kovalam; the reasons I found out a short while later

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_063127.jpg
The still-under-construction NH 66 (post Kovalam), with extremely steep/angled serviced roads on either side

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_070847.jpg
Atleast the detours I had to take would take me through pretty rural pathways like these

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_070902.jpg
and these

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_074427.jpg
Finally the state border came up. And with that the road just abruptly ended right after that!

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_094932.jpg
The grand Padmanabhapuram palace (now a heritage site)

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_094843.jpg

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_095704.jpg
For a minor sum of 40Rs, one gets a guided tour through the massive setup

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_100848.jpg
The place is extremely well-kept with a large workforce managing the palace and the grounds

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_101024.jpg
I'll definitely recommend anyone heading in that direction to visit this amazing heritage site (just a 5 mins detour from the highway)

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221207_165010.jpg
So much for seeing the "sunset" at the sunset point

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-20221208_081505.jpg
And finally I headed back home!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 19:18.
ninjatalli is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 20:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Epilogue

Addressing a few additional areas

1. My elixir for this trip - Lime Soda

Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-lime-soda.jpg
Source: Google images

This was a god-send! Every other shop in Kerala had this simple setup in front of them - a few empty glasses, a lime squeezer, and small containers with salt & sugar; and cold soda in the fridge. A simple product that is perfect for the hot weather of Kerala. It takes them 2 mins to whip up a lime soda and I probably gulped down 80 - 100 of them (nearly 10 a day) over this trip. Worked much better (and way cheaper) than a coconut or any other liquid alternative.

2. The dreaded KL traffic!

Name:  KL Traffic.jpeg
Views: 714
Size:  105.1 KB

Well, yes, there was traffic on the national highway. The ongoing construction work made things kind of worse off, especially when the existing lanes were made even narrower at specific points. But honestly, it wasn't bad at all for me, and I found it pretty much okay for riding through and through. I stuck to NH for the first few days and post that I would take care to hit the NH only during the early morning hours (6 - 10 am). But even on those initial days, I really didn't find it any worse than what I'd see on Bangalore roads. The worst (relatively) was the Kannur - Calicut section and if I had experienced cooler weather, I wouldn't have found it that bad. If I really had to complain about the NH, it was the lack of tree cover on the sections where the work had begun - none of these sections had the tree cover that was pretty common on the NH sections where they hadn't started any work (and the trees weren't cut).

3. The even more dreadful KL buses!! (GASP!)

Name:  Kerala Bus.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  76.5 KB

Honestly, this was a pleasant surprise - buses were the most cordial fellow travelers on the road for me. Most of them (when overtaking me) kept their distance from me, and hardly any veered back or overtook dangerously or veering in front of me. In fact, the much worse vehicles were the autorickshaws (especially the multi-sharing larger rickshaws that ply on the highways). They would turn/overtake/stop at any moment; many a time I nearly got hit by them or nearly crashed into them as they stopped right in front of me. But never had a close moment with a bus throughout the entire state.

4. What next?
Well, technically, I have now completed Goa to Kanyakumari on a cycle. The top of the mind option that comes to me is to finish the top leg - Mumbai to Goa and by that, I'll consider the west coastline completed (I'm not at all interested to do the Gujarat coastline for sure). The other option that comes to mind is heading up the TN side - Kanyakumari to Chennai while trying to hit a few temple towns if possible. Well, it all depends on off-time and good weather availability; both MH & TN have their own weather-based constraints. Ah well, only time will tell.

---------------------------------------------

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

- Robert Frost

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2022 at 21:05.
ninjatalli is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 06:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Re: Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 07:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Will read the whole thing in detail but at the outset I’ll say this is a dream of a journey! Almost 100km every day for 8 days back to back, that’s some next level fitness too. Well done!
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Hey, That's an awesome ride, and one that's been on my mind for long! One question, is it all flat roads with minimal inclines ? While I have driven on the same route about 7 yrs back, it's tough to notice inclines while driving, much less recollect from a drive 7 yrs ago .
And yes, great to see you did it riding a Cannondale Quick series hybrid. I ride a Quick 5 in green livery.

I managed to squeeze in a half day @ Kotagiri while on work @ Kovai last month and managed a ride to Kodanad before the cyclone rains played spoilsport.

Sharing a pic here and i hope to do the Coastal ride come early Jan !
Attached Thumbnails
Trails of a cyclist | Traversing the Kerala coastline-img_20221111_081231.jpg  

Passatman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 12:00   #15
BHPian

Congratulations and hats-off! Is that a Cannondale Quick 5?
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed