Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 01:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)

A few months back, a startup called TILT approached our apartment association and requested to setup a bicycle sharing service. After signing a revenue sharing agreement with the association, TILT setup their bicycle docking station at the complex:

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-20230115_182339.jpg

Tilt is backed by YCombinator and Tatas, and the entire hardware/software has been built in-house. Each docking station has 4 bicycles. Apartment owners should first download TILT app, select City, select Apartment complex name, pay Rs. 100 to Rs. 200 via UPI and scan the QR code to unlock the bike:

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-20230115_180310.jpg

Now let's take a closer look at the bicycle:

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-20230115_180333.jpg

Equipped with front shocks, front/rear mechanical disc brakes & easily adjustable seat height (bicycle is suitable for 10+ year olds to 6 ft tall adults):

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-20230115_180507.jpg

TILT charges 50p per minute (aka Rs. 30 per hour) for the bicycle ride. The ride is completed when you dock the bicycle at the docking unit. The app then gives you this basic information about the ride:

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-screenshot_20230116_010109_chrome.jpg

Overall, this seems to be excellent value for money for casual riders

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th January 2023 at 01:42.
SmartCat is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 01:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)

Good to see TILT thread here. We have it in our apartment for almost a year I guess. I recently started using them 3-4 times a week and find them great value

Wanted to start cycling but wasn’t sure if I would have the interest for long(like many other mid-life crisis induced hobbies ). That’s why didn’t want to buy a bicycle. This is a perfect option for folks like me and if am able to sustain the interest for more than 6-8 months, will look at options for buying one. Till then 50p/min seems super value spent on health.
Attached Thumbnails
Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-2e351ffaf0414356a2a6534f692dd226.jpeg  

SoumenD is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 04:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing! Bicycle sharing is quickly gaining traction world over so hardly surprising it has come to our shores too.

Quite an ingenious approach of launching it in apartment complexes. By sharing some revenue with apartments they are assured of patrons, and safety of their bikes. I guess it dramatically reduces the chances of theft and manhandling compared to, say, if these stations were installed out in the wild.

Can you use them to travel to another apartment and leave it there (provided your destination also has a similar base)? Or do you need to return it to the same base?
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 07:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Can you use them to travel to another apartment and leave it there (provided your destination also has a similar base)? Or do you need to return it to the same base?
Same docking station for now, but docking at different station might be introduced very soon. That's because it looks like they have everything ready on software side of things. The TILT app already has a 'map' link that is supposed to show all the bicycle docking stations:

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-screenshot_20230116_073118_chrome.jpg

This seems to imply that we can pick up the bicycle from any docking station. However, as of now, the functionality is disabled and it shows only our apartment on the map.

Perhaps once TILT gets large VC funding, they will introduce public bicycle sharing. To ensure all docking stations have a minimum number of cycles is a logistical issue that only money can solve. Right now, their bank balance doesn't seem to be that impressive:

Bengaluru bike rental startup Tilt raises $125,000 from Y Combinator
https://yourstory.com/2021/03/fundin...t-y-combinator
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 08:21   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
By sharing some revenue with apartments they are assured of patrons, and safety of their bikes. I guess it dramatically reduces the chances of theft and manhandling compared to, say, if these stations were installed out in the wild.
Just what I was thinking! Who can forget the challenges faced by Bounce Scooters with damage to their vehicles, vandalism etc. (more details here). I appreciate Tilt's strategy in trying up with apartment complexes. And there are now enough large residential complexes in any city to build a good business.

Thanks for sharing this unique thread, SmartCat.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 08:37   #6
BHPian

Love this idea!
Perfect for shot commute, like the grocer round the corner. Once the habit forms, I think people will even start thinking of cycling as a morning exercise.

I am going to share this with our managing committee.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 08:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is fantastic. Excellent initiative for those who are open to cycling on specific rare days (my wife would fit in that) but don't want to take it up fully.

A few Qs

1) Can anyone register for the app and get a cycle? Or is it somehow limited to the society residents only. Assuming that isn't the case, what prevents someone taking the cycle out of the society (for obvious reasons)?

2) Can a resident from one such complex to a different complex that has a similar setup opt for the cycles in that complex? Or are these siloed setups?

3) I'm disappointed none of the cycles have a ladies frame (I'm sure the argument would be these are unisex models). Would definitely make a impact with regards to the ladies of the society. Maybe a feedback to the manufacturers if relevant.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
1) Can anyone register for the app and get a cycle? Or is it somehow limited to the society residents only. Assuming that isn't the case, what prevents someone taking the cycle out of the society (for obvious reasons)?
Docking station will be inside an apartment complex (it needs power supply). Security at the gate will obviously ensure that strangers don't get inside the complex.

Quote:
2) Can a resident from one such complex to a different complex that has a similar setup opt for the cycles in that complex? Or are these siloed setups?
You should be able to access bicycles at another complex, provided you have 2 different accounts (meaning different smartphone). With my account, I can only access bicycles at my apartment complex (see my post no. 4)

Quote:
I'm disappointed none of the cycles have a ladies frame (I'm sure the argument would be these are unisex models). Would definitely make a impact with regards to the ladies of the society. Maybe a feedback to the manufacturers if relevant.
No, the bicycles are perfectly fine for ladies:

Review of TILT Bicycle Sharing (for residential apartments)-img_20221005_174803.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th January 2023 at 10:52.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Security at the gate will obviously ensure that strangers don't get inside the complex.
Well, they aren't going to stop all non-residents But I got the answer - basically the security will be expected to stop anyone from taking the cycle outside (or allow it maybe when he recognizes the individual as a resident). After all it's more beneficial if an individual can use the cycle to go around much beyond the society premises.

Quote:
No, the bicycles are perfectly fine for ladies:
Lol - you just replied with the point I mentioned earlier (of a unisex frame which is what these are). Ask someone above 50 (and/or) with knee or other leg related issues; chances are you'll see them avoiding these. Anyway it comes down to how many of such folks are in your society who are interested in these cycles so this is just a moot point of discussion now; so let's ignore.

It'll be interesting to hear what are the rules/expectations from TILT on to the society committee (apart from space, a working power source and other infra needs). Security is one for sure. What else I wonder.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
basically the security will be expected to stop anyone from taking the cycle outside (or allow it maybe when he recognizes the individual as a resident). After all it's more beneficial if an individual can use the cycle to go around much beyond the society premises.
Just to be clear, there are no expectations from the Apartment security as such.

And you can take the bicycle anywhere you want (it is not limited to usage within premises). But since the user is billed per minute, it makes sense to use it continuously (for exercise or grocery runs, and not for office commute)
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:42   #11
BHPian

The biggest pain point of shared infrastructure is to prevent misuse/abuse of assets. If that challenge is cracked, India has a HUUUGE market potential. Btw, I have sent a link to this thread to one of the co-founders and they are happy to read this. You can be sure that the suggestions on this thread are actually reaching them
Everlearner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice initiative. Somewhat familiar with this concept since there is 'Chartered Bike' available in Ranchi with same set up across the city. There are docks available in most parts of the city and you can pick a cycle and travel to any area and dock it back at any chartered bike dock. It's a subscription based model where one pays Rs. 200/- per month or Rs. 1K for annual subscription. The first 30 minutes of ride is free, thereafter 5 rupees per hour.
Here is the thread on our own forum:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ng-scheme.html (Chartered Bicycles in Ranchi, an app-based bicycle sharing scheme)
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
The biggest pain point of shared infrastructure is to prevent misuse/abuse of assets. If that challenge is cracked, India has a HUUUGE market potential.
+1

Hence my question / inference on the security aspect. Across Bangalore roads, one sees discarded Bounce / Yulu and other rental vehicles. It wouldn't be a far fetched thought that someone might (intentionally or by chance) leave one of the cycles on the roadside; assuming the overall impact to the rider is only the initial deposit(?) of 100/200Rs.

Given that this is slightly different model as compared to the other shared bike initiatives across the country, I was hence wondering if there are requirements/expectations TILT would have raised on the society. Given that the targeted audience & benefits of these cycles is to the society residents (than the general public), I would give weightage to the view that there should be some responsibilities addressed to the society committee to ensure these bikes are not mishandled. I have seen such cycles across past initiatives (e.g. "SmartBike" initiative in Chennai under the smart city program) not being in the best of shape over time.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It wouldn't be a far fetched thought that someone might (intentionally or by chance) leave one of the cycles on the roadside; assuming the overall impact to the rider is only the initial deposit(?) of 100/200Rs.

Given that this is slightly different model as compared to the other shared bike initiatives across the country, I was hence wondering if there are requirements/expectations TILT would have raised on the society. Given that the targeted audience & benefits of these cycles is to the society residents (than the general public), I would give weightage to the view that there should be some responsibilities addressed to the society committee to ensure these bikes are not mishandled.
Terms of Service says a penalty of Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 25,000 can be levied on the user if the bicycle is damaged or lost/stolen

Quote:
The data generated by the Platform is conclusive evidence of the period of your use of a Tilt Bicycle. Your use of any Tilt Bicycle is limited to a period of 12 consecutive hours. Any use that exceeds a period of 12 consecutive hours is deemed a disappearance of the Tilt Bicycle until the Tilt Bicycle is checked back in.

If a Tilt Bicycle is not returned and checked in within a period of 24 consecutive hours, then the Tilt Bicycle is deemed lost or stolen and your Account may be charged a lost bicycle fee of up to INR 25,000, and a police report may be filed with local authorities. If a Tilt Bicycle is lost or stolen while you are using it, you must notify us within 2 hours following the disappearance via the Platform and also cooperate with Tilt in filing a formal police report with the local police.
It is unclear how the penalty will be enforced though.

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th January 2023 at 14:49.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:55   #15
BHPian

Well back in the 80s our friendly neighborhood cycle guys would offer rentals and it was very useful. All those guys vanished and Tilt is trying to fill that space. The advantage friendly neighborhood guys was, they would inspect the cycle on return and hence quality was maintained to an extent. Hope these cycles are inspected and maintained weekly or monthly basis

Last edited by Chillout : 18th January 2023 at 12:01.
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks