Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2024, 01:59   #1
BHPian

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…

This is a long thread. It started as a simple ownership experience but turned into a lazy narrative of past few decades. I kinda like writing, and it's a weekend, so bear with me.

Flashback – 1989ish

Growing up, I was fascinated with certain automotive brands. As one can guess, BMW and Merc consistently ranked high on the list. I am not trying to generalize, but I believe, Indians have a somewhat reverential romantic relationship with certain brands. I have yet to meet an Indian person who didn't have that secret affair at some point in their life. For two-wheelers on the list, it was always Harley Davidson. Beats me why! My parents, being teachers, had very restricted television access in our household. We didn't even have cable, so I can't blame it on American cinema. Nonetheless, Harley Davidson always remained the crème de la crème.

Life was simple and rut. It was the early 90s, and we lived in a small place called Bikaner. As long as you did okay grade-wise and kept your act straight, things were alright. Calling Bikaner a city back in 1990 would be a stretch. It was a tad better than a town. So, unsurprisingly, not much ever happened. Going out was a rare affair, and my brother and I spent many vacation days in our parents' school library. It was likely in a magazine there that I first came across Harley Davidson, and it swiftly made it to my wishlist, pretty high from the get-go, I must say.

But then going got tough. At that time, there was an obsession with engineering and medicine (PET and PMT). My mom had a somewhat misguided, delusional belief in her sons' academic prowess. She secretly aspired that at least one of us would become an engineer. The Kota factory was just starting then, and the vibe was changing. Though, I must give it to my parents; they never pushed us into anything we didn't want to do. As a result, none of us ended up pursuing her dream at that time.

In hindsight, we missed out on what could have been a golden opportunity for four years of partying. The irony is, many, many years later, I ended up being an informal computer engineer anyway.

With all that, those posters found their way into the trash, and I could be found paddling a Hero Bicycle every day. The economy had just opened up, and in those years, I was mostly drooling over the Ford Mondeo or Daewoo Sienna or whatever new sedan had a glossy newspaper advert in the Sunday Times. The humble Hero bicycle gave way for a Bajaj M80 I shared with my brother before I got a secondhand Bajaj Priya. If you grew up in a middle-class family at that time, you know what I am talking about. There is a particular order, and you don't skip a step.

Life got busy with starting a business, having a girlfriend, and everything else that comes with the territory. My automobiles evolved from a Maruti 800 to a Zen, a Suzuki SX4, and a Suzuki Kizashi. Yeah, the dealer was a buddy!

It was 2013, and we had moved to Jaipur by then. Around then, I started thinking about a lifestyle vehicle beyond the primary one. Naturally, the Harley Davidson specter from my past resurfaced. They recently started a Harley dealership in Jaipur, so we thought about a test ride.

Speaking of "we," my brother was also stationed in Jaipur at that time due to a job switch. Now, there's a bit of a backstory here. Early on, my brother and I made an informal pact always to buy the same cars. It avoids any needless family or societal comparisons, and life remains much simpler without all the drama. Some might say that’s foolish. After all, choosing a car is supposed to be a deeply personal decision. I agree, but we are not patrol heads. We appreciate cars for their charm and the enjoyment they bring, and we’ve always managed to find models that both of us liked.

At that time, we both used Kizashis as our primary cars. That is perhaps another first—two Kizashis in a single family. But that's a different story.

We booked a test ride and tried a few. Guess what?

It was not good! You know how they say, "Never meet your heroes." A few hundred meters on the bike—"Hmm... this is nice, but is that it? Now what? It's boring." A voice kept saying in my head. My brother had the exact same sentiment. We don't see eye to eye on many things, but when we do, it is mostly like that.

Next week, we bought a Mahindra Thar 4x4 in Black.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-jeep.jpg

Last edited by maheepgupta : 11th May 2024 at 16:52.
maheepgupta is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 02:15   #2
BHPian

Re: I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…

Fast-forward a few years. I was now in California, and despite being in the home of the devil, my interaction with Harleys was quite limited. That chapter seemed closed—at least, that's what I believed. I was driving a five-series as the daily commuter and using a Cannondale bicycle by the side. I flirted with the idea of getting a Jeep Wrangler for a bit, but rationality kept me sane.

Then, In 2018, we (this time, the other part of "we" is my wife) decided to make the Netherlands our new home—a nation famously boasting more bicycles (24 million) than people (17 million). We also agreed to forgo buying a car and do it the Dutch way. Fietsen (bicycles).

If you're not Dutch, you might not believe this. Dutch children in grades 5 and 6 must pass a traffic theory exam and then take a practical test where they cycle a set route to show they can apply what they learned. They take this seriously.

I began with ride-sharing before getting a cheap Decathlon bike. It was surprisingly decent, given the brand's reputation and the price I paid. I bought and lost (It's a thing in NL) a few different bikes for the next few years until I settled on a Riese en Muller Electric. Although I initially disliked its upright sitting position and looks, it turned out to be an excellent commuter.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_3854-2.jpeg

By 2020, Harley had launched their Serial 1 e-bikes across the EU. Right next to my office in Rotterdam, a bike shop displayed a red Rush City in their window, which was quite a looker. Every day on my way home, I admired it, but I was quite content with my Riese & Muller.

The Dutch e-bike scene has evolved a lot in the past few years. First, the traditional bike makers electrified their legacy models, as car companies did early on. As they gained popularity and became more common in households, things changed. A few start-ups also made their way to the market, and now there are quite a few exciting options.

In Belgium, Cowboy launched a few years ago (Van Moof here around that same time, though their story didn't end well), and they were making sporty tech-enabled bikes. I liked them for their practical use of technology, looks, and my soft spot for startups.

Cowboy-1 was decent, but with the second generation, they launched an ST (Step Through) model in an off-whiteish color. In India, ST models are typically seen as women's bicycles, but Dutch people don't discriminate against their bikes in that sense. It is more of a matter of convenience, practicality, and, of course, a good bargain. You will find people riding the saddest-looking bicycle in fluorescent orange with pride because it was a good deal. I don't mean it in a wrong way at all. Some of the simplistic, practical choices they make have given me a new perspective to look at things.

I liked the ST model and thought that at some point, I would like to buy that. My wife had a cargo bike (Bakfiets) that she was happy with, and I was finally finding love in my arranged marriageish start of this relationship with my R&M.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_1990.jpeg

But then, it was stolen!

To be continued...

Last edited by maheepgupta : 11th May 2024 at 16:52.
maheepgupta is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 03:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post

Attachment 2602780

But then, it was stolen!
Lovely bike there. I always wanted to ride an Urban Arrow. The next item on my card is a Gazelle E-bike. Btw is that Hillegersberg I see at the back of the photo? A nice area to bike there. I usually do a circle of Kralingse bos on weekends or weekday late evenings.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 14:43   #4
BHPian

It wasn't my first rodeo; I had lost a few bikes before. If you live in the Netherlands long enough, you know that it's gonna happen at some point.

The Cyclists' Union estimates that about half a million bikes get stolen each year in the Netherlands, which is likely an understatement since many don't bother reporting. The police rarely do anything actively for this, but sometimes there is a raid, or they find bikes here and there. Those typically find their way back to the rightful owners.

That has also happened to me once. More on that later.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-cycle-theft-netherlands.jpeg

Photo Credit: https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...-so-good-news/

- The first to go was the Decathlon I'd picked up early on. Technically, that was my wife's fault, so it wasn't a complete loss. I was hoping to use that to my advantage someday. The plan backfired quite spectacularly, as you'll find out.

- The second casualty was a Stella (a Local Brand) picked from our office parking lot. I filed a report; two days later, they found it abandoned in the bushes after the battery conked.

I must tell you about the chill experience I had with the cops. It was a Sunday Morning when my phone rang. The officer asked a few questions regarding my report and then casually dropped, "You wanna come and pick it up? We found it in the woods."

The following day, I went in and told the officer at the desk about the call.

"Yeah, we have been expecting you. Here, come with me."

"Don't you wanna see my ID or something?"

"Nehhh, we trust you!"

And that was it. There was my bike, a broken lock, and a few scratches, but otherwise intact.

- The third was an old e-bike that an elderly gentleman gave us for free. He was too old and no longer felt safe riding it. Do you want to guess how old he was when he felt that way? Eighty-one.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-old-bike-free.jpeg

The fourth was this Riese en Muller. I had a love-and-hate relationship with this bike. I got a decent deal on some old inventory, paying €2100 for something that usually goes for €2900 - €3100. I bought it as a business, meaning I could claim VAT, bringing it down to approx. €1700. That was a reasonable price for the brand and the model. I never had any issues with the ride, comfort, or the quality of the bike. It was just the looks that kept getting in the way of my good old OCD. It was great, but it wasn't perfect.

My wife has a store here in the city center. On a Saturday afternoon, my 4-year-old son and I took our bikes there and parked outside. I can swear that I locked the bike, took the bike computer off, and went inside.

Apparently Not!

I served it on a silver platter to someone who wasn't even looking to steal a bike that day. And remember the first bike episode where my wife was on the losing end? Let's just say, she had a very good week after that.

But now I was bikeless!

Last edited by maheepgupta : 11th May 2024 at 15:56.
maheepgupta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 14:59   #5
BHPian

There's this portal called Markplaats for buying and selling secondhand goods here. It is not as mad as Craigslist, yet not as lame as Olx. It just works! In a very European way. You can find anything from a set of needles to boats and trucks there.

The reluctant search began, but this time, in a very grounded way. I was still mad at myself for leaving the bike unlocked and was aiming for something inexpensive. The pickings were slim for the budget I had in mind. I ended up with another Riese en Muller for €800. It was an older model of my last bike, but an ST this time.

It belonged to an elderly man moving to Portugal for a warmer climate. Despite being ten years old, it only had 450 km on it. I didn't plan to keep it but needed something for my daily commute.

So, I bought it and, like any good "Rajasthani Bania," relisted it for sale on Markplaat right away. Now, I had a bike to use, and the hunt continued.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-red-cycle.jpeg

A few months and 500 km later, I was still not out of the woods. My listing on Markplaats attracted some interest, but nothing tempting. If you are a seller on Markplaats, you have to be patient. People will try every trick in the book, but you gotta stay calm. In February 2024, a couple came to see the bike. They liked it and agreed to pay the asking price—€1075.

Wounds from the last theft were almost healed, and with some profit from the recent sale, I was getting ready to start my search again.

I shortlisted three options.

- As you can guess, Cowboy Cruiser ST

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-cowoboy-big.jpg

Image Credit - https://cowboy.com

- Harley Davidson Serial 1 Rush CTY Step Thru

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-rush-blue-bigg.jpg

Image Credit - https://serial1.eu/

- Harley Davidson Serial 1 Mosh CTY

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-mosh-black-big.jpg

Image Credit - https://serial1.eu/

Rush is more of a city bike, whereas Mosh is their attempt to make an MTB. They have similar styles, and the only reason Mosh stayed on my list was its lower price. I also briefly flirted with Lemmo One MK2, but it didn't make the final cut. You can check it out here.

Cowboy doesn't have a typical dealer network; it's purely online. They have partners for test rides, but the online store handles ordering and delivery. I had tested one before, so I knew the ride quality wasn't the issue—it was more about making up my mind. I added it to my cart several times, yet I couldn't hit the submit button.

Harley-Davidson was already a dud in the European market at that time. They launched with a lot of fanfare but never found a place. Buying a Harley is more of a decision of heart, and Europeans do not have that kind of relationship with their bicycles. There is a certain crowd that secretly loves everything American—the ones who act upon it, not that many.

It was a good product, and now there were discounts. The dealers offered Rush for approximately €2700, and Mosh was available for €2200.

During a call with a dealer, he suggested looking on Markplaats. Apparently, Harley had offered significant discounts at some point, leading people to buy them for trading. Someone might be eager to offload it for cheap.

One place that I was trying to avoid!

Last edited by maheepgupta : 11th May 2024 at 16:13.
maheepgupta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 15:34   #6
BHPian

There were quite a few listings on Markplaats, mostly around €2000. I should mention that these were brand new, still in the box, and with a full warranty. I negotiated with a person for Mosh for €1400. Not too bad, I thought.

Usually, my wife stays out of my bike affairs, but this time she had it. In a not-so-nice argument, she made me realize that I didn't like this bike; the lower price had seduced me.

"Just buy a proper bike that you like and insure it, will you?" she snapped after witnessing months of drama.

I hate to admit it, but she was right.

Around 11 p.m. that night, I wrote a message to inform the person that the deal was off. I am going to look for Rush instead of Mosh.

"You want Rush? I have one of those, too." The guy replied almost immediately.

"Holy cow! Really"

"Yeah, same price. Black. You want?"

I pride myself on being a skilled negotiator, but this was €600 less than my best work and by sheer luck!

The seller lived about 15 km and two train stations away, so picking it up was easy. This is what Paulo Coelho must have meant with that whole universe conspiring thingy.

The next day, at 11:30, I was there. We pulled the bike out of his storage, and once I confirmed I'd buy it, I opened the box. I don't have any photos because I hadn't planned to document the event. My apologies.

The bike was mostly assembled with the rear wheel already on and the handlebars turned sideways to fit in the box.

I attached
  • Paddles.
  • Front Fender and Rack.
  • Side Stand.
  • Saddle.
  • Front Wheel.
  • Disc brake system for the front wheel.
  • Battery – Plugin.

The assembly was uneventful and took approximately 30 minutes to complete. In the meantime, we charged the battery a bit, just enough to help power the ride to the train station.

I inspected the warranty card and the other stuff. I paid €700 in cash and the other half by bank transfer to show as a business expense.

Another €7.50 for the bicycle train ticket, and I was home with my shiny new possession.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-finally-home.jpg

Last edited by maheepgupta : 11th May 2024 at 16:19.
maheepgupta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 16:29   #7
BHPian

It has been almost a month now and I like it a lot. I haven't done long trips yet, so I can't comment on that part. Summers are almost there, so I will keep you posted. It's a bike, so I don't know what else to add, but please feel free to ask if you guys have any questions.

What I like
  • Everything speaks of quality, even the toolkit. They didn't cut any corners. It is a premium product, and it certainly looks the part.

• It looks very Harley. It has this lazy yet mean look, standing out from the crowd.

• I initially wanted a white-black color scheme, but it wasn't available. I settled for black, and I'm happy with it.

• It is one of the quietest motors I have seen in an e-bike, and as you know, I have seen a few by now. Unlike Bosch's ghhoooom sound, The Brose motor in Harley makes a quiet hmmmm. On a smooth road, it just sorta glides, if you know what I mean.

• The Enviolo CVT is tuned nicely for cruising. It is very different than my past bikes. As long as you pedal in its desired rhythm, the motor keeps a steady 26.5 KM/Hr. For most e-bikes, the faster you pedal, the better the motor support. This one isn't that demanding. It works more like an assisted cruise control.

With my past R&Ms, it was pretty tricky to ride in the winds (30-40/Hr is quite common here, and 60-65 doesn't surprise me anymore.) This one doesn't care—just a quiet hmmmm.

• The handlebar features a functional, colored display that allows for easy adjustments of settings like automatic lights, auto turn-off, units, and time.

• The paint quality is excellent. That's a win, given that Cowboy bikes are notorious for their poor paint job.

• I could configure it to turn off automatically in 2 minutes—one less thing to worry about after parking.

• Lights turn on automatically in the dark, which is quite handy. The daytime running light looks pretty cool.

• Classy Branding and a very balanced look. It doesn't look cheap from any angle. Even the welding is super refined.

• The battery assists up to 27 km/h, slightly above the legal limit of 25 km/h.

• The brakes are quick and responsive.

What I don't like
  • Turning the bike on and off takes 2 seconds, and the button is annoyingly stiff—I'm not a fan of that.

• The CVT feels too light at slower speeds, almost like a traditional bike with a disengaged chain, though this is a known issue with automatic transmissions.

• The bike doesn't inspire much confidence on wet roads. I haven't had any accidents, but it lacks a solid grip.

• There's no suspension in the front wheels or saddle.

• Speaking of which, the saddle itself is just too stiff.

• The riding position is relatively low. It's mostly fun, but I sometimes miss the upright stance of classic Dutch bikes.

• Because of its thick tires, it doesn't fit into standard racks at bike parks.

• They offer a mobile app, but the iOS version isn't available in the Dutch app store. I've contacted their support team but haven't heard back yet.

Little Things
  • The motor is mounted in the middle, with the battery sitting right on top of it. It is an unusual position for the battery. Harley claims this setup enhances balance, though I noticed no difference.

• Harley has partnered with ABUS for locks. You can order a lock that matches the bike's key.

• The frame has a dedicated slot for the lock. It's pretty sleek, but it fits only specific ABUS models. I use it to stash my sunglasses.

• Cables and wires are routed inside the handlebars, resulting in a clean look.

• It has a Gates Carbon belt instead of a traditional chain, a common feature in modern bikes.

Life with it
  • I use it almost daily for my 5 km office commute. On a good day, it takes about 14 minutes. On a bad day, with red lights and open bridges, it's up to 17.

• Installing a kid's seat isn't easy. My son, now four and a half, mostly rides solo or sits in mom's Bakfiet, which works for now.

• So far, I haven't registered the warranty. I've ridden about 460 km with no issues at all.

• My wife finds it easy to ride, and she likes it a lot.

Upgrades Planned
  • Better Saddle. I like Brooks, but I don't know if that will go with this bike. If not a new seat, I need at least a suspension in the seat post.

• A basket on the front fender and rack.

Now, the photos. Sorry, I am not a great photographer.

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6363-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6361.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6349-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6362.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6360-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6359.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6358-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6357.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6356.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6354.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6353.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6352-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6351-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6350-2.jpeg

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6348-2.jpeg

The Indian Touch

I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…-img_6789.jpeg

I didn't realize it until I opened the box, but it was a satisfying moment in a weird way. After all those years, I bought a Harley—a bicycle, but a Harley nonetheless.

Ten-year-old me would have never guessed it.

Last edited by maheepgupta : 11th May 2024 at 17:04.
maheepgupta is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 17:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Btw is that Hillegersberg I see at the back of the photo? A nice area to bike there. I usually do a circle of Kralingse bos on weekends or weekday late evenings.

Cheers!
Urban Arrow is actually a lot of fan. It has a load capacity of 185KG. When we bought the house, we practically moved our stuff on this bike.

This is Schiedam that you see in photos. I have been to Kralingse bos side a few times. Isn't it surprising how they manage to carve such nice bike trails (almost) right in the middle of the city.
maheepgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 18:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 10:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
..It was the early 90s, and we lived in a small place called Bikaner....
... a Bajaj M80 I shared with my brother.
For god sake, it was a metropolis mate(for village kids like me), with its forts, sweets, and snacks !!
You brought back some good memories mate!! That unending sea of M80s, I can still recall..!! I was born and brought up around the same timeline few hundred km on the east. Visits to Bikaner would happen once in a while, with some overnight stays, and were always eagerly awaited (due to aforementioned reasons)..

Anyways wish you many happy miles on your new wheels.. ride safe
RaviK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 10:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Good to see you enjoying the Dutch way of living! I see in your profile you live in Schiedam. Both our boys live in Schiedam! We know it quite well. We will be taking our son Thomas to dinner in Schiedam tonight!

We will be back in Schiedam again tomorrow to look after our grand son Ben.

Enjoy the bike, it looks pretty cool!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 11:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't realize it until I opened the box, but it was a satisfying moment in a weird way. After all those years, I bought a Harley—a bicycle, but a Harley nonetheless.

Ten-year-old me would have never guessed it.
What a beautiful writing!
Enjoyed it.
Congratulations on Harley Davidson. Arguably the best and most fitting one you could buy in there with both head and heart.
Also inspires me to get an e-bike for myself. In India
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 15:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post

...it was a metropolis mate(for village kids like me)...

.... You brought back some good memories mate!! That unending sea of M80s...
Haha.. it's all relative. "Pennies for some, a treasure for someone else."

Yeah, those were good times. I was never a fan of M80, but I actually liked that Priya a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great story, thanks for sharing.

.... Good to see you enjoying the Dutch way of living!...

We will be back in Schiedam again tomorrow to look after our grand son Ben.

Enjoy the bike, it looks pretty cool!

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen.

I have read and enjoyed your posts. The one about your Yacht was amazing. We are going to take a short vacation this week but if you are in Schiedam next time, I would love to meet. For coffee, or perhaps Indian food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post

....What a beautiful writing!
Enjoyed it.....

.....Also inspires me to get an e-bike for myself. In India
Thanks VinsWagen.

I have never lived in Bangalore but i have read different stories that despite a lack of infrastructure, more and more people are taking up cycling. I am curious if you are already using it too? If yes, an e-bike will definitely make it easier. Especially in Indian Traffic and heat.

I have a Firefox there and I have tried to use it as a daily commuter (only 2 km each side), but it was quite scary at times.

Lots of luck.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th May 2024 at 16:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi quote function.
maheepgupta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed