Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2024, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

UK: Government to introduce new law which will penalise reckless cyclists

According to media reports, the UK government will soon be introducing a new law which will penalise cyclists for careless and/or reckless riding.

Sir Iain Duncan Smith, MP, has proposed a new amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill to introduce a new offence - 'causing death by dangerous, careless or inconsiderate cycling and causing serious injury by careless or inconsiderate cycling'. The amendment has already gained a lot of support from ministers and will be included in the Criminal Justice Bill after entering the House of Lords for scrutiny.

UK: Government to introduce new law which will penalise reckless cyclists-cycling1.jpg

If the law is passed, cyclists could face the same kind of penalties as drivers, which include prison terms up to even life imprisonment.

Mark Harper, Transport Secretary, stated, "Most cyclists, like most drivers, are responsible and considerate. But it’s only right that the tiny minority who recklessly disregard others face the full weight of the law for doing so." He further added, "Just like car drivers who flout the law, we are backing this legislation introducing new offences around dangerous cycling. These new measures will help protect law-abiding cyclists, pedestrians and other road users, whilst ensuring justice is done."

However, pro-cycling lobby group points out that cycles account for just 2% of pedestrian casualties, with the remaining 98% coming from car drivers.

Source: AutoExpress

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 18:35   #2
BHPian

Re: UK: Government to introduce new law which will penalise reckless cyclists

Excellent idea. A lot of cyclists ride rashly in developed countries. Hopefully this would set a precedent and other countries will follow.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 19:24   #3
BHPian

This comes in the wake of an incident wherein a cyclist was racing in a park at 37 kph and crashed into someone elderly, causing their death. James May talks about it here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...th-dog-walker/
sh3lby is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 22:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

This will balance things as at the moment, cyclists are kings. No one can touch them. I rode around London and found that you could get away with nearly anything

Last edited by ajmat : 20th May 2024 at 21:54.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

The comments on social media about this news are terrifying. Its good they are nailing cyclists the same as other elements on the road but that's about it. Lets not celebrate it as some sort of victory because its not.

A typical bicycle weighs about 8kg + whatever the weight of the rider. Someone riding a bicycle at 35+ kmph is infinitely less dangerous than a 1500kg metal motor vehicle traveling at 100 kmph and we all know cars outnumber bicycles by a vast margin, the difference is so big in most countries its not even funny.

Where I ride, the cyclists have equal right to use the road, even allowed to occupy the whole lane if need be by law and yet car drivers think they own the road and frequently push them out of the way. Many cyclists that I know have stopped riding on the road and when they do, they do so on the shoulders. Even while on shoulder, cars pass by close, roll the coal or honk just to establish their power.

Team bhp did not pick up recent road rage incidences killing the cyclists unprovoked out of the blue. But this is not a singular event, people running over cyclists is a common phenomenon and occurs frequently. Car drivers simply don't like cyclists on the road.
They readily accept other cars' menace/road rage as part of the traffic and go on with their life but as soon as they see a cyclist on the road, their blood starts boiling.

As for the speed, travelling 35-40 kmph on the bike isn't catastrophic in general. On good days I maintain such speeds on a particular stretch of a mixed use trail and can easily come to a stop or slow down effectively if need be. On rest of the trail is nearly impossible to get over 30kmph.

The fact is, to maintain that kind of speeds isn't easy and is possible only on trails/roads which are straight and flat. Any road with turns and mild inclination of 1-2 degrees sends the speed tumbling down to 25-27 kmph. Heck even on flats, if there are crosswinds average non-pro-tier cyclist is going to go down to 30-32kmph at most. Don't go by the blistering speeds shown on TdF - your average cyclist neighbor is never going that fast, not even close.

The only way a cyclist is going to crash into a pedestrian at 35kmph is if the said pedestrian suddenly jumps in front of the cyclist because otherwise on a flat straight road one can easily see pedestrians from afar and make defensive movements in advance. Where I ride, 99% of pedestrians wear noise cancelling muffins on their ears or are doom scrolling TikTok completely oblivious of the surroundings or are talking on phone walking their dogs on a 50 ft leash. People want to talk about menace? That's menace right there for you.

Lastly, the said incidence seems exceptionally unlucky for both the parties. Come to think of it, a cyclists colliding with a pedestrian is 95% soft body mass crashing against each other and rest being carbon or metal. The crash will cause injuries but death is highly unlikely. It can happen as seen here but probability is really low. Compare that against a motorcycle crashing into a pedestrian or a car plowing into a walker. Its simply not fair.

Again, its good that the law is trying to bring everyone at same level but lets not paint cyclists on road as the weed that needs to be taken care of.

I am fairly certain those last mile delivery e-bikes are going to be a major nuisance but without them we are not going to get mango lassi delivered within 10 minutes from Blinkit as we curl up on sofa and watch F1. So we are going to accept them as matter of fact and instead call cyclists on road as problem.
amol4184 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
The comments on social media about this news are terrifying.
Most of social media is a cesspool of humanity.

But I could not agree with you more. This bill seems more to satisfy the raging motorists than about equal justice otherwise they would have focused more on stricter enforcement of laws that protect cyclists and pedestrians. It says in the article itself that cyclists cause mere 2% of the casualties, so why would you not focus on the other 98% first?
amitoj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 15:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Most of social media is a cesspool of humanity.
A common complaint against cyclists is that many of them don't stop at STOP signs and blow through them. On one such post, a guy mentioned he keeps BB gun on the dash and as soon as he notices a cyclist blow through stop sign, he rolls beside them and shoots BB pellets "as punishment" for not stopping. This was on Twitter (where else) and others echoed that was a great idea. Some said they brake check and leave. I agree not stopping at STOP is an offence but to shoot them? Holy wow. People talk about killing cyclists as if its not a big deal.

Quote:
It says in the article itself that cyclists cause mere 2% of the casualties, so why would you not focus on the other 98% first?
To be honest I am surprised its even 2% - may be they are accounting for dead cyclists too resulting from collisions.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 15:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

In India, in Poona, its PMT bus wallas who hate cyclists. Just yesterday I had a tiff with one. He was using an auto walla as an excuse for veering left and squeezing me and my buddy on to the kerb. I apologize but in the red mist that followed I told him where he could take that auto walla. With his auto gratis.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 20th May 2024 at 15:39.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 19:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

If anything it shows how the UK is hopelessly behind the times when it comes to legislation. Most western countries don’t differentiate between cars and cyclist in that way at all. Everybody is held to the same rules. What is the UK going to do next? Introduce a similar law for pedestrians who cause a fatal accident?

The UK ought to spend more time in getting the proper cycling infrastructure in place.
And ensure UK motorist take a more attentive and careful approach when cyclist and cars meet in the road.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 21:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A common complaint against cyclists is that many of them don't stop at STOP signs and blow through them. On one such post, a guy mentioned he keeps BB gun on the dash and as soon as he notices a cyclist blow through stop sign, he rolls beside them and shoots BB pellets "as punishment" for not stopping. This was on Twitter (where else) and others echoed that was a great idea. Some said they brake check and leave. I agree not stopping at STOP is an offence but to shoot them? Holy wow. People talk about killing cyclists as if its not a big deal.
Some states in US have one version or another of the law knowns as Idaho Stop which allows cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs and red light as a stop sign. Studies by NHTSA have shown a decrease in traffic accidents immediately after implementation.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...123_v5_tag.pdf
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 21:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
In India, in Poona, its PMT bus wallas who hate cyclists. Just yesterday I had a tiff with one. He was using an auto walla as an excuse for veering left and squeezing me and my buddy on to the kerb. I apologize but in the red mist that followed I told him where he could take that auto walla. With his auto gratis.

Cheers, Doc
Agreed. Pune is not friendly to bicyclists. Several times, cops have stopped me for riding on Lakdi bridge and tried deflating my tires. This is an official misconduct and illegal.
Beemer1077 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 23:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer1077 View Post
Agreed. Pune is not friendly to bicyclists. Several times, cops have stopped me for riding on Lakdi bridge and tried deflating my tires. This is an official misconduct and illegal.
Next time they do that, allow them to do it, and take a video. I've personally never had a problem.with cops. Bur PMT guys, plenty. And the odd auto guy too. Cars are generally well behaved. Not the yellow plate cabs though. Pune is actually a cycle city. But congenital morons cannot help themselves.

I go full monty on the bus guys. Traffic comes to a halt. And there is a proper standoff. And then I put it on social media and make sure relevant authorities get the memo. An example, from a few years back ...

UK: Government to introduce new law which will penalise reckless cyclists-screenshot_20240520230527588_com.strava.jpg

This was at University chowk, me coming from Baner, when this gentleman nearly sideswiped me.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 20th May 2024 at 23:09.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 23:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again, its good that the law is trying to bring everyone at same level but lets not paint cyclists on road as the weed that needs to be taken care of.

I am fairly certain those last mile delivery e-bikes are going to be a major nuisance but without them we are not going to get mango lassi delivered within 10 minutes from Blinkit as we curl up on sofa and watch F1.
I recently moved to the UK and see cyclists everyday. Although I won't paint them as weed, cyclists here are potential threats due to following reasons:

1. Roads in UK are smaller in width and most of them do not have dedicated cycle lanes either on road or sidewalks and cyclists are increasing in numbers.
2. Most cyclists use battery assisted bikes which make them gain speeds comparable to cars (20mph/30 mph zones)
3. They tend to hog almost an entire lane as law mandated distance between a cyclist and car is a good few meters, essentially making single lane roads usable only at speeds of the bike ahead as overtaking comes dangerously close to breaking the law.
4. During office rush hours, many bikers tend to misuse cycles, they will cut through lanes, cut through cars standing at signals, and since they are untouchable by law, car drivers have to be more cautious.

Last mile delivery guys are in a different league here They ride their battery powered bikes like Valentino Rossi through parks, footpaths and these bikes are pretty silent. Bike's weight and related physics aside, they can hit kids or dogs and god forbid, any fall on the head can be dangerous.

So yes, here in the UK, cyclists are misusing their powers and almost every car driver you meet has only verbal expletives reserved for them.
The infrastructure is to be blamed. I recently saw a hilarious meme on the same:

UK Government when asked for war : "Oh, we will take two!"
UK government when asked for dedicated cycle paths: "Oh, but the council does not have the money"

Last edited by NiInJa : 22nd May 2024 at 00:00.
NiInJa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cheers, Doc
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
3. They tend to hog almost an entire lane as law mandated distance between a cyclist and car is a good few meters, essentially making single lane roads usable only at speeds of the bike ahead as overtaking comes dangerously close to breaking the law.
4. During office rush hours, many bikers tend to misuse cycles, they will cut through lanes, cut through cars standing at signals, and since they are untouchable by law, car drivers have to be more cautious.
What is it that cyclists should do? Do not zigzag between cars? But then they will have to "hog" the lane all the way, which you admit they are allowed to by law.

Do you see the contradiction between these 2 points?
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed