Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 11:54   #1
BHPian

A different travelogue- by bicycle in the Himachal

Hi guys,

Here is a link to two travelogues. My brother is into a lot of bicycling, and has done a couple of pretty interesting rides. Here is a link to his travelogues.
sudipto.dg - Bicycle tours in Eastern Himachal Pradesh

Hope you guys enjoy.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Prabuddha, fantastic. Must meet up with your brother sometime. I have also restarted bicycling and plan to do some big tours soon.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow cool, tour the eco friendly way very nice
Old 11th April 2008, 12:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

See now there is an adventure. Bravo.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:28   #5
BHPian

You guys must look at the roads ( sometimes boulder ridden even) that he takes. Goes to all sorts of God forsaken places. He lives in Chandigarh and the hills are right there for everyone to see (and visit).

And you know what, HVKumar, he picked up cycling from me. Now in Bombay, I hardly ride, and he goes to all kinds of places. In fact he does not own a car or motorbike.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Prabhuddha, he is not only a great biker but a gifted photographer and an interesting traveloguer. I have also been to tthe same places, but could not get such great shots!

Maybe we should follow on your brother's footsteps, and plan a cycling trip in the Himachal of Uttaranchal region.

I have restarted cycling after 25 years, and improving everyday in preparation for some big trips in coming days.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:13   #7
rippergeo

I used to be an avid cyclist till a few years back. the roads in kerala have become death traps for cyclists. have given up now.

also, staying in shape for long trips needs a lot of time and effort.

I'm shifting to kayaks soon.

Old 11th April 2008, 14:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics and travelogue. Man, your brother is an amateur or what. The photography is too good and how many kms he has covered during this trip?
Old 11th April 2008, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Back in Calcutta I used to ride a lot. In fact earlier I used to play a lot of cricket and injured my knee and took up cycling to mend my knee. Soon I was cycling more than I played cricket. It got to such a point that I would go everywhere on my bicycle. I would even cycle to my girlfriend's (now my wife) house before we went off on a date. I would ride 50 km or more a day.

And then I moved to Bombay. The concrete roads scare me with the cracks between the blocks. And the Best buses seemed eager to squash bicyclists like bugs. So, now I rarely bike. More like just on the street in front of my house.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Back in Calcutta I used to ride a lot. In fact earlier I used to play a lot of cricket and injured my knee and took up cycling to mend my knee. Soon I was cycling more than I played cricket. It got to such a point that I would go everywhere on my bicycle. I would even cycle to my girlfriend's (now my wife) house before we went off on a date. I would ride 50 km or more a day.

And then I moved to Bombay. The concrete roads scare me with the cracks between the blocks. And the Best buses seemed eager to squash bicyclists like bugs. So, now I rarely bike. More like just on the street in front of my house.
You have got a good hobby. I would rather recommend to continue this hobby as it is rarely found nowadays...
Old 11th April 2008, 14:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Prabhuddha, he is not only a great biker but a gifted photographer and an interesting traveloguer. I have also been to tthe same places, but could not get such great shots!

Maybe we should follow on your brother's footsteps, and plan a cycling trip in the Himachal of Uttaranchal region.

I have restarted cycling after 25 years, and improving everyday in preparation for some big trips in coming days.

Going by the length of your car trips, I can't begin to imagine how long your bicycle trips will be. Yes my brother is a very good photographer. And he is patient enough to be able to wait for the perfect shot. The only thing is he avoids photographing people. Dogs, yes, vultures, yes. But humans? Umm... Something about privacy of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Amazing pics and travelogue. Man, your brother is an amateur or what. The photography is too good and how many kms he has covered during this trip?

He has sometimes done Chandigarh to Shimla and back in a day. Just to enjoy the ride. These trips are generally 500 km or so. He does shorter rides all the time, but does not put them up on websites.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Prabuddha da, Thats amazing. Simply great pics as well. Got a meeting now will complete the whole travelogue at home.

Abhi
Old 11th April 2008, 14:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Prabuddha da, Thats amazing. Simply great pics as well. Got a meeting now will complete the whole travelogue at home.

Abhi

I hope you will enjoy it.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Very refreshing travelog! This is living life to the fullest!
Old 11th April 2008, 15:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow really nice, i also used to cycle a lot and done 120-140kms trips but its been 5-6 long years :(
i was thinking of getting a Bicycle from long and your brother has inspired me further

Most Viewed