Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle

Friends,

This is my first oldest vehicle(ofcouse non-bio fuel vehicle that runs completed with the muscle power of the rider) restoration. Yes, I'm gearing up for a fast track cycle restoration which is the english cycle Humber and mfd date back to 1932.

The cycle comes with all original parts including the brass badge that claims appointment by the King.

What else the humber special duplex design dual tube fork and all original frame to hold the air pump etc.

There are lots of things about the cycle as lubrication point for pedal axle with spring enabled shutter to protect it from dust and the special leather seat and its fittings etc.

I'm seeing the original paint particles in few places but the cycle is completely in brown (bare metal) color. the original paint left out shows that the cycle was in black color and red colored lines in it.

I will post the pics tomorrow with more information information about this cycle.
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Friends,

This is my first oldest vehicle(ofcouse non-bio fuel vehicle that runs completed with the muscle power of the rider) restoration. Yes, I'm gearing up for a fast track cycle restoration which is the english cycle Humber and mfd date back to 1932.

The cycle comes with all original parts including the brass badge that claims appointment by the King.

What else the humber special duplex design dual tube fork and all original frame to hold the air pump etc.

There are lots of things about the cycle as lubrication point for pedal axle with spring enabled shutter to protect it from dust and the special leather seat and its fittings etc.

I'm seeing the original paint particles in few places but the cycle is completely in brown (bare metal) color. the original paint left out shows that the cycle was in black color and red colored lines in it.

I will post the pics tomorrow with more information information about this cycle.
Nice to see someone interested in bicycles, old ones ofcourse.

My dad still uses a similar design/specs original Humber along with original Raleigh bicycle with front and rear drum brakes. I learnt riding bicycle on Humber way back when I was in 3rd Std.

I don't know about rest of India but in Goa (during Portuguese time) bicycle had to be registered and had a license number (a small say 2inch long and one and half inch wide shield shaped badge with a hole in center which we had fixed to the bold which fixes the seat to the main frame !! We do have original license numbers for both these bicycles.
My dad had Raleigh's manual, I remember to see that and had pictures/drawings of all the different bicycle models that they offered and accessories like air pump which can be mounted on the bike and also a leather sun glass holder which can be mounted just under the back of the seat.

Humber has slightly bigger frame as compared to Raleigh.

I will get some pics on my next visit to my hometown

Will surely love to see pics of your Humber.

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd January 2010 at 23:23.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Nice to see someone interested in bicycles, old ones ofcourse.

My dad still uses a similar design/specs original Humber along with original Raleigh bicycle with front and rear drum brakes. I learnt riding bicycle on Humber way back when I was in 3rd Std.

I don't know about rest of India but in Goa (during Portuguese time) bicycle had to be registered and had a license number (a small say 2inch long and one and half inch wide shield shaped badge with a hole in center which we had fixed to the bold which fixes the seat to the main frame !! We do have original license numbers for both these bicycles.
My dad had Raleigh's manual, I remember to see that and had pictures/drawings of all the different bicycle models that they offered and accessories like air pump which can be mounted on the bike and also a leather sun glass holder which can be mounted just under the back of the seat.

Humber has slightly bigger frame as compared to Raleigh.

I will get some pics on my next visit to my hometown

Will surely love to see pics of your Humber.
Trammway: Really nice to see this thread. Please do post some pictures.

Hammerhead: Now that is some information. Bicycles with registration plates I would really love to see one of those registration papers. If you can get hold of one, please do scan and share with us. Im sure that would be something rare.

Happy new year
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Guys, First of all excuse me for mentioning the cycle as 1932, that was a wrong information.

I mis-read the collar badge and finally found that the cycle is 1949 model not 1932. The badge says "Sen-Raleigh Industries of India Ltd."

I got an information from old time restorer of vintage two wheelers who stays close to my Tiruvannamalai of Tamilnadu. With his help ofcourse a lots of spending I managed to strike a old cycle deal.

What I have noticed from the cycle is that it had the word "RAFIND" punched in all the parts of the cycle. Including handle bar, wheel hubs(the normal ones), pedal, brake levers and links. To be precise all the parts that had chrome plated came with the punched letters. The company was taken over by government and renamed to CCIL. Models from the factory included Raleigh, Humber, Balaka, Rudge, Arjun and Swathi.

The cycle bell had normal looks but later i found it to be of brass made, with lots of efforts by the old man he could source all the original parts of the cycle's original seat(including the old original had leather). The cycle was seen dismantled at first and the restorer promised me that he will assemble it and give it to me.

The cycled looked really cool once assembled, I'm keeping the cycle un-painted as there are few particles of original paint is still found to be there.

Almost after 10 days of walking to the old man's place finally I got my hands on the old cycle. You know what when he delivered the cycle he change the rims to almost brand new looking original Dunlop rims, the old ones were also from dunlop by they were rusty.

While collecting the cycle he also told me about few where abouts on the front wheel hub brake system and rear wheel dynamo hub system. The thing he worked out is that, if he reveal me the information about eh whereabouts I need to give him back the original hubs to him. I agreed and striked a deal for original Made in England rear and front hubs with drum brake and dynamo. Hurray the same old man is helping me to install the hubs in return to the old hubs.

Rear wheel installation is straight forward but the front wheel is trouble some as the entire brake links required to be changed, once again the old man helped me with all the required parts and efforts to install it on my cycle.

Since the rear wheel with dynamo is ready, I was scouting for the old type headlight assembly. There you go my uncle had a Miller (once again Made in England) head light assembly with few parts missing such as holder and rotary switch. Currently it is getting fixed on the cycle.

My cycle didn't have a chain cover, but the old cover didn't vary from the latest ones hence I'm installation a latest chain cover.

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image000.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image001.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image002.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image003.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image004.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image005.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image006.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image007.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image008.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image009.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image018.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image017.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image019.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image021.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image022.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image023.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image024.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image025.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image026.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image027.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image010.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image011.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image012.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image013.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image014.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 3rd January 2010 at 21:46.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sturmey-Archer Dynohub

You would have noticed the bulky rear hub which I have stated as dynamo attached to the rear wheel hub. They were called as Dynobhubs and Dynohubs(AC Device) are nifty electrical generators built into special bicycle hubs. They were made by Sturmey-Archer in England. They work by revolving a ring-shaped multi-pole magnet attached inside an over-sized hub shell around a stationary armature (coil) attached to the axle.

The pictures of my Dynohub (repost)
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-dy.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-dynam.jpg

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-dynohub.jpg

The original Dynohub advertisement and picture
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-pic66.jpg

Name:  dynos.gif
Views: 7177
Size:  14.2 KB

Actually speaking the Dynahubs were came along with Headlight units of their own, but what I'm using in my Cycle is of Miller brand (another dynamo and headlight mfg of England)

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-dynamoheadlight.jpg
Old 31st January 2010, 23:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Today was a great day, I finally manage to swing on to find the gear lever for the dynohub setup. It was bit disappointment initially in the morning, but the disappointment turned excitement when I could lay my hands on a Hercules(England) gear lever for the cycle. The same has been installed in the cycle immediately, but it will need more time and parts to functionally fulfill my requirement.
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image090.jpg
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image102.jpg
The rear dynohub AG is not fixed yet, as the gear pulling chain, chain link, under seat link rotators, dry battery holder and the cable are yet to be found. Until I find the above items the cycle will be running on the slim rear hub (slimmer than the normal cycles around).
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image101.jpg
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image100.jpg
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image103.jpg
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image105.jpg
A brand new seat and break lever covers has been installed too. (the dynamo wire routed on the triangle frame is just a testing cable, I'm getting a single black wire to match with the cycle's profile. Excuse me for the yellow and red colored wire at the stage)
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image104.jpg
I had a joy ride on the vintage cycle, It was really fun to answer all the queries from old generation crowd who witnessed the ride today.

I guess you all have noticed the chain cover, yes that one is not original old chain cover however the latest ones have no change in the design. I have just installed it to cover the chain, if I get the old one (the deference is that the old ones are heavy and news ones are light in weight) the one will be removed.

Last edited by trammway : 31st January 2010 at 23:41.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:43   #7
BHPian

3 speed Sturmy archer Hub

Congratulations !! Siva
Please find the rear 3 speed SA hub & the shifter link of my Sports Humber, which is similar to yours.
&
Also find the pics of the " spring sheet metal clamps to hold your gear cable to the main frame of the bi-cycle"

ps: The clamps or pushed into a pipe spanner, -- Just for illustration purpose only
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-sdc10389.jpg  

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-sdc10390.jpg  

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-sdc10392.jpg  

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-sdc10397.jpg  

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-sdc10398.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2010, 20:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for reviving a lot of nostalgic memories I had somehow managed to forget over so many years. I had a CCIL-manufactured Humber, bought in 1978 (IIRC), at Kolkata, and modified. The front hub had a drum brake (don't remember the make now), with an Enfield Bullet lever to operate it, and the rear hub had a Perry pedal brake, procured with a lot of effort in those days.

Unfortunately, the cycle was stolen sometime in 1984, and it took me a long, long time to get over the sorrow.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Congratulations !! Siva
Please find the rear 3 speed SA hub & the shifter link of my Sports Humber, which is similar to yours.
&
Also find the pics of the " spring sheet metal clamps to hold your gear cable to the main frame of the bi-cycle"

ps: The clamps or pushed into a pipe spanner, -- Just for illustration purpose only

Sir, Thanks for the spring clip illustration, I need to now hunt for the same to route the cable. I would be happy if you can help me getting the roller installation under the seat.

Your hub seems to be a later model. (FW - 4speed)
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-pic442.jpg
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-humber_bicycle_28.jpg
I have got the SA AG - 3speed model. I'm sure both should have the same link mechanism. Still looking for the chain and fittings that comes out of the hub.

After i get the chain setup done with the roller installed, I will be scouting around the yards for getting the dry batter unit that will go on the frame under the seat. I guess we can find the danger light which will also eventually come under my radar for search.
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-pic78.jpg
Name:  dynos1.gif
Views: 5910
Size:  41.6 KB
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Sir, Thanks for the spring clip illustration, I need to now hunt for the same to route the cable. I would be happy if you can help me getting the roller installation under the seat.

Your hub seems to be a later model. (FW - 4speed)

I have got the SA AG - 3speed model. I'm sure both should have the same link mechanism. Still looking for the chain and fittings that comes out of the hub.
Yes, that hub is of my "Sports Humber", with fork Lock.
Any way by now, think you would have sourced almost everything, from some
BROAD -minded ,though these are not much POPULAR among present day youth
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Yes, that hub is of my "Sports Humber", with fork Lock.
Any way by now, think you would have sourced almost everything, from some
BROAD -minded ,though these are not much POPULAR among present day youth

Sir, Thanks for all the help you have extended in my Cycle restoration. You are right and I have sourced all the parts that are required to complete the bike.

Here are the complete pics of parts that I sourced to engage gears in the Humber Cycle.
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image109.jpg

The following picture shows the roller that helps the cable to get routed under the seat.
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image111.jpg

Here is the gear link that really works, I could see the gear engaging now.
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image112.jpg
Old 5th February 2010, 21:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

For any vintage restoration there will lots of visits required to the scrap yards, some how in my Cycle Restoration I have been denied by the circumstances to visit the Scrap Yard. You Know what today my father's distance relation visited our house and spotted my Dynohub fitted wheel lying on the store room. Instantly he recognized it as old cycle hub and told me he had similar one on his cycle, and told me he had couple of old parts lying with him(of course offered to me). I didn't waste any further time to accept his invitation to visit his house.

My goodness, the final search of gear installation requirement for my cycle was the gear link routing nut on the rim, which is also found.
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-image116.jpg
He also gave me a unused Brooks seat saddle, gear link adopter, Dry battery cover holder clip, handle bar cable clip, Brass made bell, Axle dome nut and the best thing of all "The Cycle Hurrican Lantern (Kingslet style)"
Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-lantern.jpg
Now literally nothing left out to complete the cycle, just in case if I change my mind to preserve the cycle for long time, I may repaint it. Right now the cycle is in my home town but bringing it to chennai will only expose the metal parts to the salty sea air and eventually rust and corrosion. So my friends are advising me to repaint it with original theme. Let me see how my mind going to drive on the painting part.
Old 14th March 2010, 15:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

What not, yesterday I managed to get the original write routing guide roller made by SA. Here it is:

Unusual Restoration - I : Humber English Cycle-img_6278.jpg
Old 17th June 2010, 19:18   #14
BHPian

A Very interesting restoration with no updates!

Siva, please post the final pics.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:30   #15
BHPian

wow.. thats a great restoration. Please do post the final pics. Thanks.

Most Viewed