Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/146123-article-buying-new-car-older-manufacturing-date-11.html)

I hope this is the right thread.

A June-2014, Linea T-Jet Black Emotion is on sale at Jay-Vijay, Pune. The car has been used as a TD vehicle and has run 4.2K kms. The OTR price of car is 12.7 Lakhs and dealer is quoting 9 L OTR. The price is further negotiable. There are minor dents which will be taken care off by the dealer.

Hello team

I have a query regarding the purchase of my new car. We had booked VW Polo 1.2 MPI Comfortline on 18th Jan '17 and the sales person told us that the ex-showroom price has increased by Rs.6300/- compared to December 2016. Since we were booking the car in the month of Jan 2017 we are supposed to pay the revised price i. e extra 6300/- to which we readily agreed. On the other hand, he however offered us a discount of 30000/- on the final OTR and mentioned that in Dec 2016 the discount was only 25000/-.

Yesterday when we were making the full payment via cheque, he came up with a theory that the 30000/- discount is applicable only for cars manufactured in 2016 and that we would be getting a Nov or Dec 2016 model. The cars that will roll out from the factory in Jan 2017 supposedly will not come with any discount. To this, we objected saying that since he is charging us the Jan 2017 price, we will want to buy a Jan 2017 model itself and not an old one, and the final OTR price would remain same as was finalised and agreed upon on the day of booking. He was reluctant to accept this but after some prolonged conversation he said he will manage to get a 2017 model itself or us. We handed over the cheque yesterday and money got debited as well today. I still somehow doubt if the sales person is going to work anything as per our requirement.

My question is, was he bluffing or saying the truth ? If he is speaking the truth, then did he forget to mention all this during the process of booking OR is he manipulating things now at this point ? Are discounts really not offered on the latest model cars ? Is our understanding wrong and he is correct or vice versa ?

We are at the eleventh hour of getting the car home and have unexpectedly ran into this issue. If we find things fishy, my Dad might just prefer cancelling the deal. Considering that I don't have time to go home for next 2 months, the purchase of any other new car will be indefinitely postponed , so I am little worried about this as I was excited to take the delivery next week. I am trying to find an amicable and legal solution to this.

Need your help, I would highly appreciate your inputs in this regard. :)

You are letting your excitement cloud your judgement.

You will go back home after two months then how the car purchase will be postponed indefinitely? If not in 2 it will happen in 3 months, what's the big deal? In any case even if you get the car now you won't be there to enjoy it, for the next 2 months at least.

Once the dealer started his double talk, you should have asked him for the VIN number of the 2017 model that was alloted to you, gotten the VIN decoded here on the forum and only after conforming that it is indeed a 2017 manufactured car, should you have moved ahead with the balance payment.

Now, do not let the dealer register the car until you have the VIN in your hands and it is decoded. Alternatively the dealer can show you the invoice from Volkswagen India as well as the Form 22 both of which will mention the manufacturing month and the year. Once registered there is nothing that can be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 4134084)
We are at the eleventh hour of getting the car home and have unexpectedly ran into this issue. If we find things fishy, my Dad might just prefer cancelling the deal. Considering that I don't have time to go home for next 2 months, the purchase of any other new car will be indefinitely postponed , so I am little worried about this as I was excited to take the delivery next week. I am trying to find an amicable and legal solution to this.

Need your help, I would highly appreciate your inputs in this regard. :)

Guys,

Need your opinion on a dilemma that i am in. Need your inputs as soon as possible, as i have to make a decision very quickly.

I have been offered an almost 2 lac discount on the pre-facelift rapid along with the payment holiday option that Skoda have. This is for the Style Plus Diesel DSG variant.

So in terms of the financials, this is quite an ideal option. Its a july/Aug 2016 manufactured model.

I am planning an upgrade from a 10 year old Santro.

The other option was to wait a few months and get certain financial aspects in order and go for the New Honda City CVT V variant that comes to about 14 lacs on road here in mumbai, whereas i am getting the skoda for about 13.2 lacs

Also, my running is about 30 kms a day in mumbai traffic. So am guessing i don't really need a diesel. But am tempted because of this offer. What would you suggest?

Hi Guys,
I am considering a Fiat Linea 125S.
The Fiat dealers are saying that Fiat reduced the prices in 2017 to clear out the 2016 stock and there are no 2017 manufactured cars in the inventory.

I have been pondering over the following points :

1. Validity of this theory about the price cut being for 2016 stock and no 2017 vehicles available.

2. They are saying that the cars are in the Fiat stockyard in Pune, so any insights into their storage facilities would be appreciated.

3. Is a 3-6 month Fiat a good deal at around 11.5 OTR in Bangalore?

4. Is there a way to fetch vehicle history using the VIN to be sure that it has not been abused while with the manufacturer/dealer since most of the TD vehicles always run with temporary registration plates.

Any other inputs which i need to keep in mind to ensure i dont end up with a lemon, will be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

Hoping this is the right thread for this query.

A Volkswagen dealership in Delhi is offering me a November 2015 manufactured Jetta comfortline petrol at a discount of INR 4 lakh. They claim that its a display model and has not been used as a test vehicle or stored in the warehouse/open yard for long periods. The bodywork and interiors seems clean and no usual signs of moisture or rust under the floor mats etc kind of signs.

The odo reads 240 kms. When I enquired about the longer than usual run, they said it was driven down from outside the city because the carrier broke down midway.

The car having been discontinued, they didn't have a test vehicle available and weren't willing to let me drive the car. With the fear of losing out on the deal and in a moment of excitement, I booked the car with a 31k advance. They then agreed to let me drive the car and while everything else seemed great, there is a constant faint bumpiness in the ride even on extremely smooth flat roads - almost non noticable if you aren't specifically looking for it. I assumed this was probably because of flat spotting and the dealership readily agreed to replace the old tyres with brand new ones. I will be going to take another test ride with the new set of tyres to see if that fixes the problem. Here is where I need some help:

1. Is it a good idea buying an 18 month old car - especially a car that has now been discontinued and will anyway fetch me extremely bad aftersales figures?

2. If yes, is the 4 lakh discount a good bargain or can I gun for more?

3. Any other specific inputs/things to see that I should be aware of will be very helpful.

I am left with only a few days to finalise the deal or walk away. Please help!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatinV (Post 4188725)
Hi all,

Hoping this is the right thread for this query.

A Volkswagen dealership in Delhi is offering me a November 2015 manufactured Jetta comfortline petrol at a discount of INR 4 lakh. They claim that its a display model and has not been used as a test vehicle or stored in the warehouse/open yard for long periods. The bodywork and interiors seems clean and no usual signs of moisture or rust under the floor mats etc kind of signs.

The odo reads 240 kms. When I enquired about the longer than usual run, they said it was driven down from outside the city because the carrier broke down midway.

The car having been discontinued, they didn't have a test vehicle available and weren't willing to let me drive the car. With the fear of losing out on the deal and in a moment of excitement, I booked the car with a 31k advance. They then agreed to let me drive the car and while everything else seemed great, there is a constant faint bumpiness in the ride even on extremely smooth flat roads - almost non noticable if you aren't specifically looking for it. I assumed this was probably because of flat spotting and the dealership readily agreed to replace the old tyres with brand new ones. I will be going to take another test ride with the new set of tyres to see if that fixes the problem. Here is where I need some help:

1. Is it a good idea buying an 18 month old car - especially a car that has now been discontinued and will anyway fetch me extremely bad aftersales figures?

2. If yes, is the 4 lakh discount a good bargain or can I gun for more?

3. Any other specific inputs/things to see that I should be aware of will be very helpful.

I am left with only a few days to finalise the deal or walk away. Please help!

Thanks!

I am in the same boat:

Hyderabad VW dealer is offering a January or February 2016 manufactured Jetta Comfortline Diesel Manual for 19.5L on road.

Original price was 21.7L.

2.2L discount seems to low for a discontinued more than year old car. Any ideas what a reasonable price should be?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4187195

Check this thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...stopped-6.html

I think you can probably squeeze a 30-50k more. There are hardly any other options for him. This Hyderabad dealer thinks since I just moved here and don't speak the local language he can take me for a ride lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4188915)
I am in the same boat:

Thanks Foxbat! Good luck with the negotiations! Keep us posted if you go ahead with the purchase.

Hello Folks,

I have recently purchased my first car, a Pre-MMC Honda City V MT Petrol. Will list down the details below. Just wanted some opinions on whether it was a correct decision or was taken for a ride by dealer. please:

- Was offered a cash discount of 1 lakh on the on-road price by whitefield honda on a Pre-MMC(Non-latest Version) of Honda City V MT Petrol.
- Did a check with one more honda dealer at Kalyan Nagar, he was not having any pre-mmc model. But the on-road prices matched, i.e. 1 lakh more than the Pre-MMC.
- As compared to it's newest member(2017 model), this car was lacking Push Button Start, Touch screen infotainment, DRLs, new alloy wheel design, slight wide tyres.
- As verified from VIN(Thanks to team BHP), the manufacturing month was January-2017. My purchase was done in last week of March. The car had 17 kilometers on ODO while doing checks pre-registration in yard and 24 kilometers on delivery day.
- I have not faced any mechanical issues till date. Have clocked nearly 1700 KMs.

Hope I have given sufficient details for a fair judgement, do let me know if anything else needs to be shared.

Thanks,
Suryendu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4188915)
I am in the same boat:

Hyderabad VW dealer is offering a January or February 2016 manufactured Jetta Comfortline Diesel Manual for 19.5L on road.

Original price was 21.7L.

2.2L discount seems to low for a discontinued more than year old car. Any ideas what a reasonable price should be?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4187195

Check this thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...stopped-6.html

I think you can probably squeeze a 30-50k more. There are hardly any other options for him. This Hyderabad dealer thinks since I just moved here and don't speak the local language he can take me for a ride lol:

I was offered 1.3L discount on a duster which was sitting in stockyard for 13 months. Given the fact that Jetta almost 2x than Duster & moves a lot less than Duster, you should be able to squeeze more discounts. I think you should make an offer of 18.5L while holding the cheque book in your hand. That should do the trick IMO.

Off topic: Go for Jetta, you won't regret the decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 (Post 4216369)
I was offered 1.3L discount on a duster which was sitting in stockyard for 13 months. Given the fact that Jetta almost 2x than Duster & moves a lot less than Duster, you should be able to squeeze more discounts. I think you should make an offer of 18.5L while holding the cheque book in your hand. That should do the trick IMO.

Off topic: Go for Jetta, you won't regret the decision.

Thanks, but I took delivery of a Ciaz Diesel Alpha exactly a month back :)

Taking into account that my stay in Hyderabad might not be for more than 1-2 years it seemed to be the best choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4216371)
Thanks, but I took delivery of a Ciaz Diesel Alpha exactly a month back :)

Taking into account that my stay in Hyderabad might not be for more than 1-2 years it seemed to be the best choice.

Congratulations for the Ciaz. You definitely can't go wrong with Ciaz (well, almost every MSIL products :D ) Jetta would have been a depreciation disaster if you would have let her go in 1-2 years.

Tricks the dealer plays

https://youtu.be/z9YKti86v58

Hi all, is it fine to take delivery of March 2018 manufactured Honda City V MT Petrol in May? Isn't this model fast moving? Please reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensible_driver (Post 4401449)
Hi all, is it fine to take delivery of March 2018 manufactured Honda City V MT Petrol in May? Isn't this model fast moving? Please reply.

Absolutely fine; March 2018 means barely two months old. As always, do a thorough PDI before allowing car to be sent for registration.