Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 18:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date

Hello Folks,

I have booked M&M Thar (LX D AT HT MYS CPR) back on Dec 1, 2020. After a real long wait and lot of escalation, I have received the VIN from the dealership yesterday. They confirmed that the car has been billed on Oct 24, 2021.
When I look at the last 8 digits of the VIN that is as follows, M2F120xx. This indicates that the mfg month is Jun 2021 and serial no is in the range of 12xxx.
When I looked at the old post where someone mentioned his Thar delivered that has Mar 2021 mfg and serial number in the range of 13xxx.

I see couple of things here which I'm not sure if I need to be concerned about.
1> With such a huge waiting period, why are they delivering a vehicle manufactured in Jun 2021, in the month of Nov 2021 first week!
2> When I look at the serial number in the VIN, which is in the range of 12xxx doesn't match someone's received Mar manufactured car with serial number in the range of 13xxx

Even if it was due to chip shortage, the car was standing in the factory for 4-5 months?
Should I be concerned about anything and accept the delivery of this vehicle?
What questions should I be asking? What all should I be taking care during PDI? Should I think of pushing for a vehicle that is recently manufactured in this specific case?
Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I just got a call from sales rep. He is stating that the chassis of the vehicle was manufactured in the month of Jun 2021. However, due to the chip / parts shortage the vehicle manufacturing took a long time. That is the reason the manufactured date shows Jun 2021. I've requested them provide this information to me over an email so that it can be authorized / go on paper.

Does anyone know in what stage of the manufacturing do they allocate the VIN, Chassis number and the serial number to the vehicle? Do they do it at the completion of the vehicle manufacturing or during the stage when chassis manufacturing completed!!!

Last edited by Ketan : 26th October 2021 at 18:31.
Old 1st January 2022, 19:20   #227
BHPian

I need advice on buying Tata car. I am planning to change my 5 years old Volkwagen ameo diesel automatic. Since my kids have grown up I am looking for a bigger one. Comfortable second row is absolute must. I found that Tata safari and Harrier both meet that requirement. However, I have seen and heard a lot of negative things about Tata dealerships and services. Particularly if we get some serious manufacturing defects. Can someone advise if it is good to go with Tata cars? With my present car, I have visited service Center only twice for non scheduled service issues in 5 years with 70000km run. Can I expect a similar experience?
Old 24th April 2022, 18:13   #228

Hello Team

I am buying August 2021 manufactured POLO Highline + manual.

What sort of discounts should I be looking for from the dealer side & also what IDV should be mentioned in the insurance?
Old 13th September 2022, 18:43   #229

Dear BHPians,

This is my first post since joining the forum a couple of months ago. Been a regular on this platform from a year or so. Please correct my mistakes wrt rules of posting.

So having decided to go ahead and buy the Skoda Kushaq 1.5L DSG variant(Silver color), I have booked one on 8th Sept with a dealership at Bangalore. Got a call from my SA saying there is one available which has been manufactured in June 2022(VIN : MEXKRFPA5NG026227). Though skeptical, we went ahead and accepted that. We requested for a PDI to be arranged and planned to do a thorough PDI(as per Team BHP checklist). All good so far, we had made about 25% initial payment and decided to pay the rest on 25th Sept(to take delivery by 5th Oct). Now to this the SA says, there's someone else looking for the same variant+color so if we delay the payment(complete ex-showroom price) then the car will be allocated to the other customer and we will have to wait for another allocation. SA said the new allocation might be a one that's manufactured in August and still the delivery might happen only around last week of October or even sometime in November.

Wanted some insights on :

1. Does Skoda generally deliver cars that have been manufactured 2-3months prior ?
2. If Q1 is true, then what conditions are these cars usually stored in ? (scared of corrosion) What is an ideal period between manufacture and delivery for Skoda cars ?
3. Can Skoda actually re-allot a car assigned to you to somebody else even after you have made about 25% payment ? Is there a way to work around this ?

Thanks in advance
PS : Will share why Kushaq, why the 1.5 DSG and more soon
Old 8th October 2022, 07:31   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamG View Post
Dear BHPians,

This is my first post since joining the forum a couple of months ago. Been a regular on this platform from a year or so. Please correct my mistakes wrt rules of posting.

So having decided to go ahead and buy the Skoda Kushaq 1.5L DSG variant(Silver color), I have booked one on 8th Sept with a dealership at Bangalore. Got a call from my SA saying there is one available which has been manufactured in June 2022(VIN : MEXKRFPA5NG026227). Though skeptical, we went ahead and accepted that. We requested for a PDI to be arranged and planned to do a thorough PDI(as per Team BHP checklist). All good so far, we had made about 25% initial payment and decided to pay the rest on 25th Sept(to take delivery by 5th Oct). Now to this the SA says, there's someone else looking for the same variant+color so if we delay the payment(complete ex-showroom price) then the car will be allocated to the other customer and we will have to wait for another allocation. SA said the new allocation might be a one that's manufactured in August and still the delivery might happen only around last week of October or even sometime in November.

Wanted some insights on :

1. Does Skoda generally deliver cars that have been manufactured 2-3months prior ?
2. If Q1 is true, then what conditions are these cars usually stored in ? (scared of corrosion) What is an ideal period between manufacture and delivery for Skoda cars ?
3. Can Skoda actually re-allot a car assigned to you to somebody else even after you have made about 25% payment ? Is there a way to work around this ?

Thanks in advance
PS : Will share why Kushaq, why the 1.5 DSG and more soon

Any updates on the purchase of your car. Having similar issues with the purchase of my Skoda Slavia. Getting a July manufactured car in October. Will be found a PDI soon. Not very sure whether to go ahead with the payment and purchase.
Old 8th October 2022, 15:30   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshakodli View Post
Any updates on the purchase of your car. Having similar issues with the purchase of my Skoda Slavia. Getting a July manufactured car in October. Will be found a PDI soon. Not very sure whether to go ahead with the payment and purchase.
Went ahead and took the delivery of the June manufactured car. Did a thorough PDI as per Team BHP guidance. Found everything to be normal. Went out on a drive from Bangalore to Vellore as well, all good until now. The SA was actually very professional. Will have to experience after sales though.
Old 8th October 2022, 16:10   #232

Quote:
Went ahead and took the delivery of the June manufactured car. Did a thorough PDI as per Team BHP guidance. Found everything to be normal. Went out on a drive from Bangalore to Vellore as well, all good until now. The SA was actually very professional. Will have to experience after sales though.
Thanks for the update. Am planning to get the vehicle as well. PDI will be done this week. Then the delivery. Will keep the forum updated.
Old 18th October 2022, 10:56   #233
BHPian

Went for a PDI for our Candy White Style 1.5 DSG.
I was armed with the TBHP PDI checklist and Wildon's VIN Decoder, and MY OH MY, I could not stop smiling with glee as our Kushaq rolled in before us.
It passed the checklist with flying colors, but using the VIN Decoder, i figured the car was manufactured in Jun 2022, but the sticker on the car wrote May 2022, is this a point of concern? Also is a 3-4 month old manufacture a problem?
Old 20th October 2022, 16:04   #234

Quote:
Went ahead and took the delivery of the June manufactured car.
Looks like this is common with skoda nowadays! The one (Kushaq style 1.5 DSG) I booked, as per VIN, was manufactured in May. But, as per the details in Parivahan, it is Sep. Anyway, I went ahead and paid. It has 10 inch screen. Possibly, Skoda is fitting the 10 inch screen in the (unsold) cars manufactured earlier and then sending to the dealers!
Old 24th October 2022, 10:59   #235

I am being offered a car manufactured 3 months back (ie., July 2022). Dealer claims it was lying in the stockyard, as the customer to whom it was allocated had some payment issues. The car was brought to the dealership for my assessment.

1. The ODO shows 15kms (can this be tampered? in new generation smart hybrid cars?)

2. Lots of dust accumulate around the front grill, while the wheel arcs were much cleaner.

3. Could feel the roof upholstery is bit dirty.

Could this be because it was lying the yard for atleast 2 months, can anyone share your experience or advise, please.
Old 20th February 2023, 21:57   #236

How about vehicle which are standing in showroom for couple of months. If these are offered with discount, what checking should be done. Also, how much discount one can negotiate, I mean where do we draw the line.
Old 16th April 2023, 23:22   #237

Hi,
I see a lot of new vehicles , maybe 1-2 months barely 1000kms run in used car market. Does anyone have idea about why would someone sell a car too fast. Are these cars faulty?
Or is there any other point that I may be missing
Old 12th July 2023, 16:53   #238

Need Help in Purchase Decision regarding Kia Seltos

Hi All,

WIth the new Seltos unveiled, there are heavy discounts available on the current one.

I have got an offer for Seltos GT Line Petrol Top end version automatic, in Red Color at a full and final price of 19L on road including 3 years extended warranty, but i have a few doubts regarding the car.

1. The Car is manufactured in Jan 2023. So it has been lying around for 7 months now without a buyer, which makes me a bit suspicious.

2. When i went to physically check the car, the odometer had 40 KMs and was cleaned. Makes me think that someone had agreed to buy the car, got it cleaned, and delivered to the showroom, and rejected it for whatever reason.

Above two reasons, coupled with the fact that they are willing to sell it at 19L is making me a bit suspicious. I plan to get the car thoroughly checked with my FNG guy, but also wanted opinion of fellow BHPians.

I understand the poor safety record of the car, but this is a car for my mother, who is strictly gonna drive in the city, with barely 500KM running in a month. So i am not very worried about the safety aspect since it won't go on the highways at all.
Old 18th July 2023, 19:23   #239
BHPian

Re: Need Help in Purchase Decision regarding Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenil_295 View Post
The Car is manufactured in Jan 2023. So it has been lying around for 7 months now without a buyer, which makes me a bit suspicious.

I understand the poor safety record of the car, but this is a car for my mother, who is strictly gonna drive in the city, with barely 500KM running in a month. So i am not very worried about the safety aspect since it won't go on the highways at all.
On your first point, buying a vehicle manufactured 7 months ago is perfectly fine. No need to worry at all. Nothing happens to a vehicle if it sits for a few months. Just inspect it like you would for any other vehicle. On the second point, driving in the city or driving a lesser number of kms doesn’t mean it is ok to purchase a vehicle that is less safe. A mishap can happen right outside one’s home on a 1km long trip. However, the Seltos is a reasonably safe vehicle as it is equipped with side and curtain airbags as well as stability control.
Old 8th November 2023, 11:17   #240

I have finalised on Nissan magnite Geza MT.

While booking, the sales team told me the car is a July manufactured one, but after booking and a PDI (not a detailed PDI, I just checked the car for 30 minutes), I found the issues.

1.The car was manufactured in June ( I assume it has been in the stockyard for more than 4 months).

2.I found a rat infestation just below the wipers. I am not sure about other infestations, as I am not able to see more than that.

3.Steering adjustment is very hard.

They are ready to fix the Issues.

I am getting it around 8 lcs after all discounts, which includes a corporate of 10k and cash of 11k on the road with a 5-year road tax. Should I negotiate more or ask for an extended warranty?

Seeking suggestions from experts whether I should go ahead with this or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks