Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 04:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date

Lovely article Ajmat.
It should be helpful to so many who get tempted to get themselves an older new car.

Recently, one of my friend is suffering majorly due to purchasing a older new car.

Here in Calcutta, massive mouthwatering discounts were being offered on a few selected models by Audi Kolkata which were of 2012 make.
It is said that the dealer picked up a massive bulk 2012 cars from Audi sometime in 2013 for a pretty good deal.

So, this friend of mine picked up this 2012 make A6 for some 40 lakhs this November from them.

- Car's done 650kms during delivery, friend ignores it, takes delivery.
- Comes home, tries to adjust the suspension which is possible in A6.
- Nothing happens, friend is frustrated seeing this happen on his brand new A6.
- Turns the car around to head back to the dealership only to get some kut kut noise from the suspension.
- Goes to the dealership, car taken for a survey, turns out that the entire suspension system has failed, they accept the blame and tell him that they will repair the car and give it back.
- Over 2.5 months over and still no sign of his car coming back.
- He fought with them to get the car replaced, they refused since the car was already registered on his name at the RTO.
- He then writes to Audi and gets himself compensation of around 5-6 lakhs in the form of OEM 19" Audi Wheels with Tyres.

Its good to see that the dealership here took responsibility of the car and got in to replace the car parts and also provide him a compensation.

In the meanwhile, the dealership was being bashed online on facebook on a few car groups over selling old cars with issues plagued in them and one of their oldest head sales manager's commented, "we discount on expired products."

I was shocked reading his comments there.

End of the day, one has to be really careful while buying such cars.

I would too suggest someone to stay away from such cars, but if the deal is really tempting, please do surely go to have a look and TD the car before putting your money down for it.

Also I read somewhere on Team-Bhp earlier that lets say if a car is 2 years old, its always better to buy one which has clocked over 5000kms and used regularly than one which has clocked 100-200kms lying stagnant at a particular place in the open to the mercy of the weather over 1.5 years.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st February 2014 at 07:15.
cityvic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 07:31   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My Skoda Yeti was manufactured in May 2011 and I bought and registered it in November-December 2011.

The reason I opted for this was because I was able to negotiate a good discount on the vehicle and the dealership has been treating me fairly and decently throughout.

I got my parents a Brand New Hyundai I20 last week and this was manufactured in October 2013 and registered last week.

The reasons I opted for this was because I was able to negotiate a good discount and the dealership, being owned by the same guys who own the Skoda dealership in Bangalore, have been treating me very well indeed.

I guess when one buys these slightly older cars it is important to get a good car and to have a dealer who cares about you as a customer.

I think the onus also rests in some part on the buyer - The old saying, "Caveat Emptor" was probably never more relevant than when buying a horse in the old days and while buying a car in these modern times!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 11:02   #18
BHPian

Great article Ajmat. I strongly believe there's great value in buying a older new car. Negotiation and bargaining is in our blood. We bargain over a 50 Rs item in a grocery store as well as over a 50 lakh car in a showroom. Since, there is anyway pressure on the sales guy and the dealer to get the old stock out asap start negotiating at a discount that's twice what the sales guy is offering. The discount he is offering might be sweet but sometimes you could be in for a pleasant surprise if he obliges.
Old 1st February 2014, 15:45   #19
BHPian

A very good topic and equally great detailing of the topic Ajmat!

For me, I am not a person who would go in for cash discounts and try and buy a car that lying idle in the dealer stock-yard.

The Skoda guys have been after me with all sorts of discounts for the Rapid for the last 2-3 months now with their commitment of delivering the car immediately. That certainly means that their sales aint good and that the cars are getting piled up in stockyard.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:03   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
A very good topic and equally great detailing of the topic Ajmat!

For me, I am not a person who would go in for cash discounts and try and buy a car that lying idle in the dealer stock-yard.

The Skoda guys have been after me with all sorts of discounts for the Rapid for the last 2-3 months now with their commitment of delivering the car immediately. That certainly means that their sales aint good and that the cars are getting piled up in stockyard.
The reason could be the car would not be good and chances of being a lemon is high and they want to get rid of it by giving high discounts etc.

Skoda is feeling the pinch certainly and with threads on Team-BHP being available worldwide for viewing it is difficult to capture the market if they don't change.

Cars from them are class apart but for their messed up ASC's

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 17:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Cars from them are class apart but for their messed up ASC's

Anurag.
Very True.

I am looking at buying a car in the near future and apart from the Rapid and the Vento no other car has given me the supreme driving pleasure (Compared to Etios, Swift, Amaze). Yet to try the new Honda City but I doubt even the City would be able to match the driving pleasure of Rapid or Vento.

The only thing that puts me off from buying either of the Two is the A.S.S as I am buying my first car and I really dont know the maintenance aspects in detail.

I do not want to be stripped during each maintenance.

Tejas.
Old 1st February 2014, 20:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Indeed, thanks for this extremely useful post. Recently, while buying a car, the Maruti dealer here, was offering us a Ritz VXi of August 2012 at a substantial discount.{This was in the December of 2013}

The previously mentioned car, had minor defects. However, on seeing the rusting Disc-Brakes, we decided against that car. Also, the oils tend to disintegrate after being stored for such a long time. Also, it has to be noted that the dealership stockyards are extremely dusty. Buying the Ritz in such a situation did not really inspire confidence. Finally, bought a 2014 WagonR VXi. No regrets so far.

Indeed, the fresher the car, the better.

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 1st February 2014 at 20:56.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:46   #23
BHPian

In contrary, what is a new car? If I am planning to buy a car now i.e Feb-2014, Dec-2013 is new car or old? On any given month is it possible to buy a car manufactured in the same month? Wouldn't dealers need the transportation time as manufactures transport in lots?
selvagp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that puts me off from buying either of the Two is the A.S.S as I am buying my first car and I really dont know the maintenance aspects in detail.

Tejas.
If you are buying your first car, then i will strongly recommend to stay away from Germans. Please don't risk yourself with that IMHO. Germans are usually costly to maintain and their A.S.S. is not well known. You can go for Japanese for peace of mind. If you want driving pleasure only then go for Linea T jet. It is highly recommended car here for the enthusiastic people. Go through threads of the same on T-BHP and read review from GTO as well.

BTW, when buying old new car, what kind of discounts one should expect? If car is around 6-8 months old, can we expect 20-25% discount on the OTR? So in figures, can one expect 10 Lac car at 7.5-8 Lac?
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
In contrary, what is a new car? If I am planning to buy a car now i.e Feb-2014, Dec-2013 is new car or old? On any given month is it possible to buy a car manufactured in the same month? Wouldn't dealers need the transportation time as manufactures transport in lots?
In your case it is 2 months old so I would still call it a "new car" but let me tell you, the 2 months in this case December & January are critical as the year of manufacturing changes and hence your car is technically depreciated the day it rolls out of the showroom. You should negotiate hard and get good discounts on your car. I personally do not think there will be any mechanical or technical issues faced by your car by lying in stockyard for 2 months but I hope you cross check the VIN Number and ensure it is of December 2013 only and also do a proper PDI

Quote:
Very True.

I am looking at buying a car in the near future and apart from the Rapid and the Vento no other car has given me the supreme driving pleasure (Compared to Etios, Swift, Amaze). Yet to try the new Honda City but I doubt even the City would be able to match the driving pleasure of Rapid or Vento.

I do not want to be stripped during each maintenance.

Tejas.
I have been driving a VW Polo for the past 3 years and my experience has not been that bad.
1) Service Interval of VW is 1 year or 15,000 KM which is way higher than Maruti which needs to be serviced at every 5000 KM. Monetarily it means, if your every service is thrice costlier than Maruti's service, you are even out (assuming you are driving 15000 km a year)
2)Build quality has been far superior then my Swift of SX4. Door closes with a thump, zilch rattling and the sheet metal build of the car is way better than my Marutis, you really need to make effort in opening and closing door.
3) Vento (& even Rapid) are a pleasure to drive: Diesel engine is rocket and you would need a Commercial Flying License to drive it rather than Driver's license
Bottom Line: if you really enjoy driving, if driving really rejuvenates you and relaxes you, if you aspire to have a superior finish, build quality, driver friendly car, I would suggest you to think once again on Volkswagen, it is not that costly as its perceived to be

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th February 2014 at 03:03. Reason: please read the mod note in your post, thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

I did buy a previous year car but that was out of choice because of the significant discounts.
This was on 8/9 March 2007 when I took delivery of a Corolla 1.8 H4 of 21-Dec-2006. The dealer had told me beforehand about the year and date of manufacture and so I made a choice with eyes open. Got a previous year discount of 50K and so far have had no issues.
However, as noted, it is an issue with many slow moving cars and some manufacturers who produce with no knowledge at all about prospective demand.
I would not mid doing it again but for car upto 2-3 months old only and provided I get a discount.

Last edited by vasudeva : 3rd February 2014 at 15:19.
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Another version of a new car with an old manufacturing date is when the car has been allotted to a buyer but not picked up by him due to many reasons - not in station/ personal emergency/ loan issues and many more.

Have seen such cars at Pratham who stock them at Palace Grounds, Blr rear entrance (Cantt station side) where many cars are in appalling condition with a ton of dust and out in the open and in the woods!

If the car is finally not picked up, then they would take it out and give it a quick wash to show it to another unsuspecting prospective customer.

Wonder why manufacturers do not have norms for storage of such precious goods that wither in time too!
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I have been driving a VW Polo for the past 3 years and my experience has not been that bad.
1) Service Interval of VW is 1 year or 15,000 KM which is way higher than Maruti which needs to be serviced at every 5000 KM. Monetarily it means, if your every service is thrice costlier than Maruti's service, you are even out (assuming you are driving 15000 km a year)
2)Build quality has been far superior then my Swift of SX4. Door closes with a thump, zilch rattling and the sheet metal build of the car is way better than my Marutis, you really need to make effort in opening and closing door.
3) Vento (& even Rapid) are a pleasure to drive: Diesel engine is rocket and you would need a Commercial Flying License to drive it rather than Driver's license
Bottom Line: if you really enjoy driving, if driving really rejuvenates you and relaxes you, if you aspire to have a superior finish, build quality, driver friendly car, I would suggest you to think once again on Volkswagen, it is not that costly as its perceived to be
Thanks for your inputs Cooltronics.

But my only concern is that since I do not know the maintenance aspects of a car so well, the A.S.S centers might just take me for a ride each time I go for service. Also, I am not going for a Diesel as my usage will primarily be on Weekends. So will be opting for a Petrol car only.

So currently thinking about going for the New Honda City.
Old 3rd February 2014, 19:29   #29
BHPian

Post Edited: Fixing Quotes, please Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
Quote:

I saw discussion was centered around 3-6 months. I feel it should be last calender year in this calender year may be upto 12 months also.
My personal experience with FIGO is Ford Chennai manufactured in July 13 as per VIN. It was Despatched from chennai to Vibrant Ford Hyderabad in October 13. They sold me on 30th December 13 saying that they already sold all titanium variants (which I wanted) and even the next one Zxi only 2-3 pieces are available. Hence I bought a 6 month old vehicle consciously.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2014 at 19:32.
Old 4th February 2014, 01:10   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRAVI View Post
Hence I bought a 6 month old vehicle consciously.
I can understand your feeling but there is nothing wrong with a 6 month old car. Only thing that we HAVE to ENSURE id the PDI from our side is done perfectly without any negligence else we will have to repent in future.

Do your homework well and check the car fully and if satisfied buy the car but older than 6 months is risky as rubber parts etc would have lost their qualities. Specially the rainy season (Rust enhancer) and SUmmer season (rubber parts and paint quality deteriorate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Wonder why manufacturers do not have norms for storage of such precious goods that wither in time too!
+100

Quoting from my own post (No.: 012) in the previous pages where I had the same thought:

Quote:
This is the reason I too find strange with the dealers regarding the storage practices of cars till they are sold. I have seen Maruti dealers store cars on the road (2-3 feet away from moving traffic).

I work in an FMCG industry and know what changes does sunlight and improper storage practices lead to the product and can relate the same to a car. The other thing is that don't the company heads/subordinates have dealer audits to check on their performance where inventory storage is a big factor to concentrate on?!
Seriously I feel, along with mandatory basic safety features the storage practices also must be kept in line and followed and if deviated the manufacturer must scrap those cars and not sell to a poor unsuspecting customer.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks