Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/146123-article-buying-new-car-older-manufacturing-date-3.html)

I bought a Dec 2011 Skoda TSI in Sep 2012. There was a massive discount of over 3+L. The car was not with the dealer but with the company. All warranties on Skoda were offered and the car runs fine. Haven't even had a problem with the Skoda service :)

A little background, On one of my visits to India, I had bought a VW Polo trendline in Dec 2011 as a gift for my sister from Volkswagen Thane, after few months my sister complained about brake issues and she was asked by VW guys (Volkswagen Mumbai West) to change both discs as well as brake pads, I was shocked to hear that as the car had just done 6000kms, since I was in the states I couldnt do much other than write few emails to VW guys at the headoffice, outcome of that was discs money was returned by Volkswagen Mumbai West and they mentioned it was under warranty. (After reading the article on buying an old'ish new car, I understood why I had the brake issues within 6 months of purschase. ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ring-date.html )

Couple of years fast forward and we are in Dec 2013, I am back in India for good and take the car for 2nd servicing to Volkswagen Thane, I am told its 3rd service and not 2nd, I am confused, then the service advisor pulls out the vin number and tells me the car is from Jan 2011 so its 3rd service (aha my mistake, I didnt run the vin when i bought the car :Frustrati, i was in a hurry as i was on 2 weeks leave), I insist it was bought in Dec 2011, we go back and forth and finally settle for 2nd service.

I walk back to the dealership and tell them about this disconnect, they said they will look into the issue and get back to me, fast forward few weeks its mid Jan 2014, on one of my follow ups the CRM lady admits i was sold a 11 month old car and after few discussions tell me she will get back with what compensation the dealer can give me for the mistake from their end.

Its Feb 04 2014, the CRM lady has switched off her cell phone and not responding to my text messages, I personally visited the dealership today and there has been no sign of the CRM lady (they claim she is on medical leave), nor there is the head of dealership to answer my question, all I have been handed was the email address of the head of dealership:Shockked:.

Dear bhpians - please advice what should be my next course of action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pillaian (Post 3361918)

I walk back to the dealership and tell them about this disconnect, they said they will look into the issue and get back to me, fast forward few weeks its mid Jan 2014, on one of my follow ups the CRM lady admits i was sold a 11 month old car and after few discussions tell me she will get back with what compensation the dealer can give me for the mistake from their end.

Dear bhpians - please advice what should be my next course of action.

Well that's not the first time

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-warranty.html

Lets divide this onto two parts

1: Having bought an 11 month year old car - there is nothing much you can do on this. You negotiated to buy a car with a 2 year warranty. If you can prove that you were assured a car not more that X month old on delivery, then you might have a case.

2: The warranty in your manual clearly states it is valid for two years from date of delivery. You have the invoice etc. The problem is that the dealer must have committed the car to a potential buyer and put the car in the system but the buyer cancelled at the last minute and you were dumped with the car. Hence the system will not allow a warranty.

However, the dealer and VW have contracted to offer a warranty. You have evidence that the car was not in use hence some deterioration happened which was not your fault.

Please go through the link about what happened. Things can be corrected. Send a mail to Polo@volkswagen.co.in detailing your issue

You might want to add the link to this thread (wink wink)

You should contact Mr. Amay Surve 9833860000 who's the manager of VW Mumbai West. I hope he solves your issue.

An amazing and informative thread indeed!! When I was out to purchase my car I had the polo 1.6 in mind but they had stopped the production by then and they did not have one even in stock. Checked for the Fabia 1.6 and they had one which was around 6-8 months old then. However did not go with that either because I did not have this guide and also felt it to be way too old. Most dealers here keep the cars in open grounds and they would have severely been affected by weather. VW dealer was offering me around 1.2 lacs cash discount on a older car back then (2012) apart from a few other freebies. Not sure how its now though

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeDrive (Post 3361744)
I bought a Dec 2011 Skoda TSI in Sep 2012. There was a massive discount of over 3+L. The car was not with the dealer but with the company. All warranties on Skoda were offered and the car runs fine. Haven't even had a problem with the Skoda service

Wow, you are one of the lucky to get a good service from Skoda group. All the best and Touchwood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur (Post 3362233)
Most dealers here keep the cars in open grounds and they would have severely been affected by weather. VW dealer was offering me around 1.2 lacs cash discount on a older car back then (2012) apart from a few other freebies. Not sure how its now though

What did you buy then BTW?

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y@SH (Post 3362038)
You should contact Mr. Amay Surve 9833860000 who's the manager of VW Mumbai West. I hope he solves your issue.

Thanks Y@SH, my issue with VW Mumbai west has been solved, they have reimbursed the amount which they had charged for the disc brakes, I am now dealing with VW Thane for selling me a 11 month old car without informing me, I am feeling cheated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 3361964)
Well that's not the first time

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-warranty.html

Lets divide this onto two parts

1: Having bought an 11 month year old car - there is nothing much you can do on this. You negotiated to buy a car with a 2 year warranty. If you can prove that you were assured a car not more that X month old on delivery, then you might have a case.

2: The warranty in your manual clearly states it is valid for two years from date of delivery. You have the invoice etc. The problem is that the dealer must have committed the car to a potential buyer and put the car in the system but the buyer cancelled at the last minute and you were dumped with the car. Hence the system will not allow a warranty.

However, the dealer and VW have contracted to offer a warranty. You have evidence that the car was not in use hence some deterioration happened which was not your fault.

Please go through the link about what happened. Things can be corrected. Send a mail to Polo@volkswagen.co.in detailing your issue

You might want to add the link to this thread (wink wink)

Ajmat - Thank you, I will send a note to the above email and see what they have to say, I was hoping fellow Bhpians would advice on how I can deal with VW Thane as they are the one who are at fault.

When I has enquired about it in early 2012 that was the offer they gave but unfortunately I had to drop my plans because of a heavy personal expense. When I was back in the buying scene the 1.6 was no longer available and I settled with a i20 sportz instead.

I humbly request quick comments and advice from members regarding a Aug 2013 Volvo S60 which is available with the dealer. I have checked the car carefully and nothing is visible, which in my experience is not good enough.

The car is in good condition with no apparent damage and the dealer has agreed to change the engine oil and filters in front of me prior to delivery.

My other concerns are:
1. Hardened & thus brittle tyres
2. Hardened bushes

The option is the Honda CRV 2.0 AT Jan 2014

Please everyone help out since the heart says Volvo and Mind wants the CRV.

Comments on resale after 4 years (Volvo is diesel), maintenance cost of the Volvo and any downsides for both vehicles.

Volvo owners please contribute with your ownership experiences as I am really stretching the budget :Shockked:

BTW : I suspect the dealer will be snooping in on this post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYMEX (Post 3363963)
I humbly request quick comments and advice from members regarding a Aug 2013 Volvo S60 which is available with the dealer. I have checked the car carefully and nothing is visible, which in my experience is not good enough.

The car is in good condition with no apparent damage and the dealer has agreed to change the engine oil and filters in front of me prior to delivery.

My other concerns are:
1. Hardened & thus brittle tyres
2. Hardened bushes

The option is the Honda CRV 2.0 AT Jan 2014

Please everyone help out since the heart says Volvo and Mind wants the CRV.

Comments on resale after 4 years (Volvo is diesel), maintenance cost of the Volvo and any downsides for both vehicles.

Most important is how was it stored. Negotiate a discount to cover 50% cost of tyres. Suspension should be okay

Expect high depreciation, apart from that Volvo's are fairly reliable

Thanks Ajmat :thumbs up for the valuable input & the discount offered is approx 3L+. Kindly accept a few more questions for your input:

a) It does not have a spare wheel, so any risk mitigation measure?(week end get away becomes risky!)
b) Is Volvo expensive to maintain?
(1st service cost - Rs.13k(?) at 10K km ;
2nd service cost - Rs. 22 K(?) at 20K Km)
c) What kind of resale does it command currently and versus the CRV? I believe few Volvos are available in the used car market.

Many thanks in anticipation of some more light on the issues.

Great article Ajmat! Thank you. :)

We were looking at picking up a Maruti Kizashi. From what I have heard, there are a few units available which were manufactured in 2011-12. I'd like to go and inspect the vehicles, and see the storage conditions, but I understand that they are all up North, at some Maruti storage facility.
If the conditions are bad, I'm scared they might just clean up the car a bit and send it here, and we wouldn't be able to find anything wrong till after we take the delivery.

Also, I'm curious. Will there be a substantial difference in terms of the performance of the Engine, Brakes, Suspension, etc, between a newly manufactured car, and one that has been in storage for over a year?

A point to be noted in case of some manufacturers / models like BMW, Merc., Audi, JLR, etc. is that the year of manufacturing is usually the date of manufacturing of the CKD kit. By the time the kit is brought to India and the car actually manufactured, there is usually a time gap of anywhere from 3 - 9 months.

So in such cases the car may actually be only a few weeks old so one may go for such cars trying to get as much discount as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis (Post 3368146)
Great article Ajmat! Thank you. :)

We were looking at picking up a Maruti Kizashi. From what I have heard, there are a few units available which were manufactured in 2011-12. I'd like to go and inspect the vehicles, and see the storage conditions, but I understand that they are all up North, at some Maruti storage facility.
If the conditions are bad, I'm scared they might just clean up the car a bit and send it here, and we wouldn't be able to find anything wrong till after we take the delivery.

Also, I'm curious. Will there be a substantial difference in terms of the performance of the Engine, Brakes, Suspension, etc, between a newly manufactured car, and one that has been in storage for over a year?

The tyres and all rubber parts (bushes etc) will become brittle, if the car is stored outside (open to mother nature) then I am pretty sure rust would have crept in the car at the under-body, suspension parts, engine bay.

If possible before signing the papers ask for all fluids + rubber parts changed (including tyres too). Before doing take a TD of that car and after replacement also TD to get a feel.

You will need to negotiate for massive discounts and warranty.

Anurag.