Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/146123-article-buying-new-car-older-manufacturing-date-4.html)

Have a look at this post!:Shockked:

Dusty RR Ghost, Porsche Cayenne and Merc S-Class!:eek:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3369596

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karthik1100 (Post 3369697)
Have a look at this post!

Dusty RR Ghost, Porsche Cayenne and Merc S-Class!

:Frustrati:deadhorse

I fail to understand why such expensive cars are also left to mother nature and no protection or a cover being put on the car till it is decided what is to be done.

This seems to be taxes or papers conflict hence lying in such sorry state. It gets on my nerves when I see dealers of Maruti and Hyundai who store cars out in the open as like they have all weather coat added to the paint.

Anurag.

I'm getting a Polo GT TDI 1.6 OCTOBER 2013 manufacture date with 70 k cash discount. I still have to inspect the car at the Stockyard, but am assured by them that it is new and without any issues.
Do you think I should press them for a larger cash discount?
Thanks
Jafar

Quote:

Originally Posted by my969 (Post 3408730)
I'm getting a Polo GT TDI 1.6 OCTOBER 2013 manufacture date with 70 k cash discount. I still have to inspect the car at the Stockyard, but am assured by them that it is new and without any issues.
Do you think I should press them for a larger cash discount?

Please check and decode the VIN + check the manufacturing date on the tyres and glases. Ask these should give a decent picture of the car. Take a good TD before signing.

Anurag.

I have booked a Verna 1.6 SX Diesel and when asked about the PDI at stockyard, SA is quite discrete and insisting that he bring the car at showroom, get it cleaned and then show it to me. I have pushed him hard to see the car in as is condition in stockyard and not after clean ups. Do I sense something fishy here ?
SA mentions that the car has been received on 29th March by them but since Chasis is made quite early, Chasis no is of February so basically I am getting a February 2014 car ( yet to receive the VIN). Is it okay to buy 2-3 month old car ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltronics (Post 3414617)

I have pushed him hard to see the car in as is condition in stockyard and not after clean ups. Do I sense something fishy here ?

(yet to receive the VIN). Is it okay to buy 2-3 month old car ?

Go to the stockyard and look at the car personally. DO NOT believe the SA blindly and go ahead.

Once your there look at the tyres + all rubber parts as tend to get brittle since this is summers time. Ask for the VIN and verify if it is of the same car. Check for the DOT code on the tyes which will give the manufacturing date of the tyres so you do get a fair idea as to when the tyre was made and when the car was manufactured.

If all these are fine then, decode the VIN and ask for some kind of discounts (No harm in trying). :)

A 2-3 month old is not an issue unless and until the above as satisfied. During PDI at stockyard, take a friend too along with a camera to have some proofs.

You have all the right to check before asking to get the car to the dealer for further processing.

All the best.

Anurag.

Thanks for the feedback.. it helped a lot.
Coming back to my story, I believe there might be a car in their showroom/service centre which they would like to sell and hence were encouraging me to check it at their showroom and save time. I completely disagreed and politely asked them to cancel the deal if you cannot allow me to do PDI of my 12Lac car. I got a call 15 mins later with a VIN Number & engine number and have been told that the car is sitting in Mysore Road stockyad :)
I am pushing them hard to provide me with March 2014 car.

News just 1 min back while I type my reply.. I got the confirmation that they have March 2014 car with them and they are sending the new VIN Number and I can do PDI tomorrow lol:

Can we see the tyre manufacturing date directly or is it also encoded now ? Previously it was directly available on side walls

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltronics (Post 3415972)

News just 1 min back while I type my reply.. I got the confirmation that they have March 2014 car with them and they are sending the new VIN Number and I can do PDI tomorrow.

Congrats and good that you were strict with the sales guys. See, you were strict they had to bend and give you a March manufactured car (Verify VIN using Wildon's thread) and the tube to do the PDI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltronics (Post 3415972)
Can we see the tyre manufacturing date directly or is it also encoded now ? Previously it was directly available on side walls

Attaching a picture of my Swift's tyre manufacturing stamp.

It reads '4513' --- That means 45th week of year 2013.

Which means the tyre was manufactured someone in between 4th and 10th November. My cars VIN decoded says November 2013 so problem solved.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140418_135158.png
Views: 3952
Size:  365.8 KB

Check using the same method or attach a picture, will help you out.

Anurag.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check the tyres tomorrow when I do PDI and will try to see how close they are to car manufacturing date. I got the VIN number some time back and it shows March 2013. If in case the tyre's are old or from Dec 2013 or Jan 2014, is it a sign of worry ?please:
I will take the PDI check-list document along with.
Anything else that I should take care off ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltronics (Post 3416092)
I got the VIN number some time back and it shows March 2013.

I hope this was a typo. I guess you meant Match 2014?!

Quote:

If in case the tyre's are old or from Dec 2013 or Jan 2014, is it a sign of worry?

I don't think there is a problem but it maximum one month old tyre i.e. February 2014.

Quote:

I will take the PDI check-list document along with. Anything else that I should take care off ?

Please take the PDI document with you and a friend also. Check the underbody, brake discs centres for rust etc. But as you say the cat is event manufactured there won't be much problem but have a fine eye throughout as this is your chance to hold them.

Anurag.

Hi Anurag,
I saw the car in flesh on Saturday and following are the inputs
a) The car manufacturing is 1st week of March 2014. Hyundai VIN numbers are not providing the exact date these days but if you visit the car, you can see sticker with exact details.
b) Tyres had the date 0514 which means they have been manufactured in last week of January or first week of February 2014 which also seems to be within the limit. Some tyres have date on inside and hence you need to check all tyres first and if all of them have it on reverse, check the spare wheel
c) Car had arrived in stock yard on 5th April 2014 (they enter a date with yellow pen on each car, I cross checked it for other models as well)
d) I opened the bonnet and saw the engine, it had no leakages, no dirt deposits, all in mint condition
e) I didn't check the breaks and signs of rusting, I missed it but overall seeing the car and its condition, I believe it would be fine enough.:deadhorse
f) Mileage on the car was 9km, I believe it could be because of the PDI or some other thing, expected it to be 0.XX or 1KM but saw few cars lying there and they also had 9KM.

The stockyard was a normal piece of land with no shade or no concrete blocks, I wish they invest in stockyards as well.
All cars were lying open except black color cars which had plastics completely rapped on their bonnet and hood unlike VW where its a common process for all color, all model cars.
Stockyard supervisor was extremely helpful and took effort in showing me all other cars lying there and explaining the process how car reaches the stockyard, what PDI they do and how it is shipped in truck to dealership.
Nevertheless, it was a fantastic experience and I felt to just take the car along with me irrespective of the documentations and other stuff, just couldn't say good bye stupid:

Eagerly awaiting the beauty this week !

Hey folks,

This is my first thread on T-BHP and at the moment I need some solid advice from all the car gurus out here.

I have booked a beige-colored Wagon R VXI from Mandovi motors, Cox town, Bangalore and had an opportunity to do a PDI yesterday (please note- the registration is NOT done yet).

However, after the PDI I found out that-
  1. This particular car was manufactured in May-2014 (4 months old)
  2. The Amaron battery in the car has "APR" labeled on it. I am assuming it means that the battery is of April manufactured and is almost 5 months old now
  3. The ODO on the car shows 48 kms- which I feel is fine
  4. The car itself seems to be fine- found no issues and no signs of it being used as a demo or a TD vehicle
  5. The engine bay had gathered a thick layer of dust which, the SA guy says, is due to the car lying in the stockyard over the past months. This too suggests that it might not have been used as a demo/TD vehicle
  6. Except for the above, the car does seem to be fine
Other details that may help-
  1. I am getting a discount of 35K (Maruti discount, not dealer's) + 2.5K (corporate discount) on Wagon R. This doesn't seem to be dealer specific as I inquired a couple of other dealers and they too were offering the same
  2. The dealer is not offering any other discounts other than the above
  3. A week ago he had showed me a Baker's Chocolate colored Wagon R which was of the August-2014 make. So it rules out that the discount is only on the older makes
  4. I was told by the SA that beige color is not a fast moving one and they had trouble finding this car
Now, the questions I have to all the car gurus out here is-
  1. Do you think it is safe to buy this 4 month old car given the above findings?
  2. The battery itself appears 5 months old. Given that the car was in deep-sleep in the stockyard for quite sometime, would it have affected the battery life? Is it safe to go with this battery?
  3. If at all you agree it is still safe to buy this piece, do you think I should bargain a little more? On this, I was thinking if I can ask the dealer to give me a newer battery + change the stock tires (Goodyear GT3) to Bridgestone at no extra cost
Please help gurujis! Please help please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-go-man (Post 3535116)
  • If at all you agree it is still safe to buy this piece, do you think I should bargain a little more? On this, I was thinking if I can ask the dealer to give me a newer battery + change the stock tires (Goodyear GT3) to Bridgestone at no extra cost
Please help gurujis! Please help please:

Dear Car-go-man,
First off, congrats with your new ride!
I would go in for this 4 months hibernated ride if I'm badly in need of one real fast.
Talking about the battery, I would definitely ask them to get me a new one as I wouldn't want to lose on its warranty.
Now the tires, we've had a very bad experience with the Goodyears in the past with my brother's Swift.
They got worn at about 20,000 kms' age.
Not sure if the Wagon-R's tires are of better Goodyears make.
Yes, anyday, I would vouch for them Bridgestones!

Good luck with the ride!
Drive safe!

I don't think that a 4 month old car will cause any trouble. I can to some extent buy the dealer's logic of finding it difficult to sell that particular colour. On the other hand, if you are apprehensive then why not opt for a different shade or insist on a new car on order in the colour of your choice even if you have to wait for it. The discounts will only increase with Diwali coming up. Lastly if you need the car urgently and in the same colour then you can ask the dealer to probably offer you a new battery ( although I doubt they will comply).

4 month old car should be fine. I would be concerned if the manufacturing is older than 6-7 months. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to get this one on grounds of manufacturing.

Regards,
Saket