Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2014, 22:52   #76
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date

I'm looking at buying a Nano for my wife as a replacement for her Scooty as our family is growing and it's not really safe to drive a 2 wheeler with two kids in tow. As it's going to be a second car, am looking at getting the maximum VFM. Tata Nano CX from 2013 is available for a 45k discount and am tempted to buy that; but am glad I came across this thread. I'm planning to do a PDI at their stockyard on Monday and will walk away if any red flags come up. They only have white color in stock (SA said about 4 cars). Anything that I should be particulary worried when I do a PDI for Nano CX?

Regarding discounts I got after bargaining, it's as follows. Should I stick my head out and bargain for more? SA said it's a June 2013 make, will verify it with VIN.

Exshowroom - 2,05, xxx
RTO - 12,xxx
Insurance - 83xx

I said no to handling charges and got Gold AMC as free (interesting that he said 2 years, but googled now and found out that Gold AMC is for 3 years). Not sure if he's discounting 1 year worth of AMC as it's almost a 1.5 year old stock!!!

On Insurance, I looked at online costs and it's almost 50% cheap. I told him I will get insurance myself.

So, Ex-showroom + RTO; I got an onroad quote for 1,72,500/ + Gold AMC.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions on this?
Old 16th November 2014, 18:27   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Need urgent advice! Dealer trying to sell a 4 month old Wagon R- should I buy?

Has Wildon been conferred with a Knighthood for his services to the Indian TBHP Forum and Auto Industry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Yes, I did find this out myself during the PDI (thanks to Sir Wildon). It appears that they procured this car from
Old 16th November 2014, 19:42   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
I'm looking at buying a Nano for my wife as a replacement for her Scooty as our family is growing and it's not really safe to drive a 2 wheeler with two kids in tow. As it's going to be a second car, am looking at getting the maximum VFM. Tata Nano CX from 2013 is available for a 45k discount and am tempted to buy that; but am glad I came across this thread. I'm planning to do a PDI at their stockyard on Monday and will walk away if any red flags come up. They only have white color in stock (SA said about 4 cars). Anything that I should be particulary worried when I do a PDI for Nano CX?

Regarding discounts I got after bargaining, it's as follows. Should I stick my head out and bargain for more? SA said it's a June 2013 make, will verify it with VIN.

Exshowroom - 2,05, xxx
RTO - 12,xxx
Insurance - 83xx

I said no to handling charges and got Gold AMC as free (interesting that he said 2 years, but googled now and found out that Gold AMC is for 3 years). Not sure if he's discounting 1 year worth of AMC as it's almost a 1.5 year old stock!!!

On Insurance, I looked at online costs and it's almost 50% cheap. I told him I will get insurance myself.

So, Ex-showroom + RTO; I got an onroad quote for 1,72,500/ + Gold AMC.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions on this?
I bought a Dec 2012 manufactured Nano CX in Sept 2013. I got it on road for Rs 1.96l in Hyderabad.

I did a rigorous PDI. Out of abundance of precaution, I also got the engine compartment opened to check for any signs of rust. The SE was not very happy as the components are made of Aluminium and there cannot be any rust. However, I was firm on my request and didn't give in. I am not suggesting you do the same, but there is no harm in being very careful. (Remember, the engine compartment is at the rear of the car and is fastened using screws. So you might face resistance as well if your SE is as lazy as mine).

All the best, and keep us updated!
Old 10th February 2015, 14:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

I bought a May 2014 manufactured Ritz Zxi in October 2014.

Reason - Was waiting for 2 months to get a new car dispatched from the factory but that did not happen. This was a showroom display car available immediately. No discounts. Did a PDI and everything was very clean since the car was cleaned thrice daily. Also the showroom was on the first floor, so no chance of the car getting used as a test drive one.
Old 10th February 2015, 15:57   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I bought a May 2014 manufactured Ritz Zxi in October 2014.

Reason - Was waiting for 2 months to get a new car dispatched from the factory but that did not happen. This was a showroom display car available immediately. No discounts. Did a PDI and everything was very clean since the car was cleaned thrice daily. Also the showroom was on the first floor, so no chance of the car getting used as a test drive one.
That's surprising that you didn't get discounts on the Ritz that too it being an older manufactured car moreover ZXi that sells less.

6 months older car is OK provided all is well during PDI.
Old 10th February 2015, 17:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That's surprising that you didn't get discounts on the Ritz that too it being an older manufactured car moreover ZXi that sells less.

6 months older car is OK provided all is well during PDI.
I guess my desperation was pretty evident

However 'touchwood' the car 4200 kms later hasn't given any problems.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:47   #82
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians.

Guidance / expert comments needed.

I booked Punto EVO MJD 1.3 (Active variant, Tuscan wine color) last week with Thrust Fiat, New Delhi. I insisted that I get a fresh one delivered from Fiat's Pune factory. Did not even care to ask if he had something in stock. Still he confirmed that he did not have Tuscan Wine in his stock and I did not ask for the rest.

Day before yesterday he confirmed that the car has been dispatched from Pune (yet to reach Delhi) and has VIN ending with "AHZ" essentially meaning that it was manufactured in Jan'15 (4-4.5 months old).

Now dealer says this is coming directly from the factory stock and he has no control over it. Another white colored Punto which was in higher demand had "BHZ" VIN meaning it was manufactured in Feb'15 is coming in the same batch of cars from Pune to Delhi.

In my opinion, a 4-4.5 month old car should not be a problem as it was there in the Fiat Stockyard and not with a dealer where it could have been misused. Also as it was stored from Jan to May, it did not face monsoons or extreme heat.

Being purchased under employer scheme, full payment has already been made (unfortunately).

As Punto is not in great demand, I expected 2-3 month old car getting delivered. For a moment I was in doubt if 4 months is OK. Now I am mentally prepared to go for it.

I plan to inspect the vehicle thoroughly and purchase it.

Please share your views / comments.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:32   #83
BHPian

My friend is taking delivery of a Chevrolet Beat PS Petrol tomorrow from Trident Chevrolet, Kalyan Nagar.

He did the PDI today & the VIN states the manufactured date as April 2015.

Just have one query. If the ex-showroom price of the car in April was lesser than in May, should the same be passed onto my friend?

Will really appreciate if someone could give a quick reply so that I can inform my friend about this.

Thanks!
Old 29th May 2015, 13:24   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
He did the PDI today & the VIN states the manufactured date as April 2015.

Just have one query. If the ex-showroom price of the car in April was lesser than in May, should the same be passed onto my friend?
Congrats to your friend first of all.

Coming to your question, I am not sure if that is possible.

There is a disclaimer in the booking form that I have seen which reads :

"Prices prevailing at the time of delivery shall be honored. All discounts etc shall be issued on OTR and NOT Ex-showroom price. "

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Fixed typo
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 17:04   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
In various discussions on the forum, we have seen poor punters getting mutton being passed off as lamb. i.e. older cars passed off as new. From a consumer standpoint, the car is new but in reality, it is as old as the day it rolled off the line.
[/list]
I am in market for a new vehicle. Visited Renault dealership in Jaipur. They are offering 85PS RxE at 9.1L(Actual on road price is 10.7Lacs), 85PS RxL at 10.15L, 110PS RxL at 11.5L and 85PS Explore at 11L. All prices are On-road Jaipur(inclusive Zero Dep, extended warranty and basic goodies). The sales guy told me that this offer is valid on "Special VIN" only. These special VINs mean that the cars were manufactured in May 2015.
I insisted on getting a newer car and the sales rep told me he has 3 Grey Dusters in transit and cars will be offloaded from truck on 25th December. I requested for VINs for these cars and they turned out to be manufactured in June 2016.

I have 3 options now:
1. Wait till Feb first week, Renault was running over 2L discounts in Feb 2015.
2. Wait for the new Dusted(Expected Launch in March 2016)
3. Go for the current offer

Need to decide quickly. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 26th December 2015, 19:24   #86
BHPian

I am buying a Honda Brio, I have made payment to dealer, delivery will happen next week (last week of december), meanwhile i got automated sms from Honda for customer feedback. The sms had login and password with login representing VIN number and password representing engine code. I discovered that this is April 2015 manufactured. 9th letter D, 10th letter F. Should I accept the car?
Old 26th December 2015, 21:27   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I am buying a Honda Brio, I have made payment to dealer, delivery will happen next week (last week of december), meanwhile i got automated sms from Honda for customer feedback. The sms had login and password with login representing VIN number and password representing engine code. I discovered that this is April 2015 manufactured. 9th letter D, 10th letter F. Should I accept the car?
Depends on what you were told of at the time of booking. The Brio isn't such a slow mover that the dealer would have an April 2015 car still left.

If I were you, I would reject this vehicle straight away. I understand that you stand a chance to lose on the benefits (potential price increase in Jan) but, with so old a car, its a non-starter!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 26th December 2015, 21:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Depends on what you were told of at the time of booking. The Brio isn't such a slow mover that the dealer would have an April 2015 car still left.

If I were you, I would reject this vehicle straight away. I understand that you stand a chance to lose on the benefits (potential price increase in Jan) but, with so old a car, its a non-starter!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Ofcourse I was told it will be December at the time of booking. I have already made the payment (but not yet accepted the delivery).

I think brio is a SLOW mover, look at the stats. I have a friend who works at Honda and he told me that they actually manufacture it in batches. Lots of unsold inventory of Mobilio also.

I am disappointed. I have told the dealer that I will NOT accept the vehicle.

I have following choices-
1) Inspect the car in person, if all looks well, fight for discount and take the April made car.
2) Refuse delivery and order new
Old 26th December 2015, 21:52   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Ofcourse I was told it will be December at the time of booking. I have already made the payment (but not yet accepted the delivery).

I think brio is a SLOW mover, look at the stats. I have a friend who works at Honda and he told me that they actually manufacture it in batches. Lots of unsold inventory of Mobilio also.

I am disappointed. I have told the dealer that I will NOT accept the vehicle.

I have following choices-
1) Inspect the car in person, if all looks well, fight for discount and take the April made car.
2) Refuse delivery and order new
There's a strong obvious chance that the dealership will attempt to push the oldest stock first so, ask the dealer to show you the VINs of all Brios in their inventory and pick the most recent of all. Sure, you may lose on the color choice but, atleast youll get a newer vehicle.

If you do decide to go with the April one, as you mentioned, do fight for a MASSIVE discount as it is an 8 month old vehicle. Also, insist on getting all fluids and battery changed.

Think that should suffice! And last but, not the least, try getting the car registered in 2016 (but, invoiced by 31st Dec). Will help a little bit when at the time of selling the vehicle.

P.S. Try asking around at a few other dealerships too. If you do not stand to lose a lot of money on cancellation (as the car has still not be invoiced, i am guessing a 2-3% deduction on the booking amount is all that will be charged) and can get a fresher vehicle, nothing like it. My 2 cents

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 26th December 2015 at 21:54.
Old 26th December 2015, 21:58   #90
BHPian

Thanks, tomorrow, Sunday is the delivery day (maybe).

Lets see how it goes...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks