Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2015, 23:07   #91
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
If you do decide to go with the April one, as you mentioned, do fight for a MASSIVE discount as it is an 8 month old vehicle. Also, insist on getting all fluids and battery changed.
How much discount do you think I should expect?

Currently car is 5.6 L on road, minus 15000 free insurance + 15000 other discount was offered = 5.3L was the final price. How much more discount should I ask for?
Old 27th December 2015, 00:07   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
How much discount do you think I should expect?

Currently car is 5.6 L on road, minus 15000 free insurance + 15000 other discount was offered = 5.3L was the final price. How much more discount should I ask for?
The figure would totally depend upon how much the dealer is ready to give in to given the false commitment and the piling stocks with them. I think the start should be from a 50K cash discount as the lower you start from, the lower you'll get to in the end. If things aren't really going your way, try settling around 30K + fluids change + free extended warranty.

If you are wondering where these figures came from, let me share some details ( and Ill be verbose in my attempt to help you out of your quandary ) from our Jazz booking that we did 7-8 days ago. Managed a 15k cash + fabric seat covers(5.5-6K) + anti rust @2500(costs 4.5K) + Honda Assure & Zero Dep at a price close to what I was getting by other insurance providers! If all this can be managed on a Nov manufactured well selling model like the Jazz, you can squeeze out a much better deal on an 8 months old (very soon 9 months!) Brio, trust me, my friend!

You still have the end of the year and the Brio being a sales dud advantages with you. I am still lacking clarity on what part of the process are you currently stuck at and how urgently you need the car. I understand that the delivery is scheduled for tomorrow but, has the octroi/ invoice been paid/ made? If yes, there's very little that can be done except to demand additional discount. If not, only 2-3% of the booking amount(which is usually 51K) will be deducted in case of a cancellation.

The best approach (if you can) would be to negotiate aggressively ( as if you have a serious intent) over the next 1-2 days with other dealers, get an idea of the best deals that are being offered by them, throw in some additional believable bluff and present it to your current dealership. If they meet that or better it, is a win-win.

All this that I've suggested is from personal experience of having negotiated with multiple dealers for the Jazz and a December manufactured Ciaz [25k Cash + Art Leather seats(10k) + Rear Parking Cam with sensors (13k) + bumper protectors (2K) + Maruti insurance to be matched per the quote I provide them with ] over the last 20-25 days.

That being said, we also need to bear in mind that the Brio is not as expensive as the Jazz V MT i-VTEC and Ciaz VVT VXi(O) so, discounts may also be lesser (but could be offset due to the age of the car). A high starting point will almost guarantee a decent landing point.

Good luck, mate! Stick to your guns as much as possible. And yes, do keep us posted.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 27th December 2015 at 00:30.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 01:33   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Good luck, mate! Stick to your guns as much as possible. And yes, do keep us posted.
Thanks for your time explaining

Honestly, to me this is fraud. They could have been transparent and told me about this before. When I gave them the booking amount (he had come to my house with test drive vehicle) he told me that he has December manufactured model in stock. This was based on trust.

I have already made the full payment through cheque, now I dont know about the invoice status. It is probably generated already.

Whatever the case, I can raise this issue directly with Honda - They can polish/wash the car all they want because I am not accepting it if I am not satisfied.

For now, I am just trying to figure out what impact can a new car can have lying idle for 8-9 months. I am not sure if it was in the sun all this time or indoors - who knows what the story
Old 29th December 2015, 10:20   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thanks for your time explaining

Honestly, to me this is fraud. They could have been transparent and told me about this before. When I gave them the booking amount (he had come to my house with test drive vehicle) he told me that he has December manufactured model in stock. This was based on trust.

I have already made the full payment through cheque, now I dont know about the invoice status. It is probably generated already.

Whatever the case, I can raise this issue directly with Honda - They can polish/wash the car all they want because I am not accepting it if I am not satisfied.

For now, I am just trying to figure out what impact can a new car can have lying idle for 8-9 months. I am not sure if it was in the sun all this time or indoors - who knows what the story
Mate, where are you currently at with this jam?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 29th December 2015, 15:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Mate, where are you currently at with this jam?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Sure, here you go...

As I had refused to take delivery of the vehicle, the SA and his manager came to my house (with appointment). We discussed the issue and I was a bit furious. Following were their explanations-

1) They showed me the the vehicle dispatch invoice which took place in July even though mnfr date is April.
2) They explained me that there is no pressure on me to accept the vehicle and they can refund me full amount.
3) They explained me that they can also order me a new car in Jan while keeping in mind it doesnt mean it will be Jan manufactured, it will be Nov manufactured
4) Honda manufactures some models like Brio in batches or when an order is placed (if it is a slow moving model). I have confirmed this from a family member who works at Honda Engineering.
5) They drove me to the stock yard, and proved me that all their cars are covered under shade and they do not dump cars to the elements like others.
6) They asked me to atleast take a look at the vehicle and then make final decision .
7) I agreed to take a look, it was parked in their basement with other vehicles. Infact, they even had an April 2015 CRV imported model which was also about to be delivered.
8) They explained me that some variants are slow selling, for example my VMT or CR-V, unlike the SMT or VXMT models. This is correct because none of the dealers in the city had VMT in stock. Basically, VMT has alloys+ABS/EBD+adjustable steering+minor touches. Most public prefer SMT or VX. They had newer vehicles in stock but they were either SMT or VX which I did not want.
9) I inspected the vehicle for almost 45 minutes, like a microscope. Yes, there was some dust around door hinges etc, which they agreed to clean and polish, but overall it was brand new fresh out of the factory with 20 km on speedo.
10) Finally, I agreed!
11) Offer was 15,000 free insurance + 15,000 cash back + mats + 4 year extended warranty. Total bill was 5.36L which is just about ok.
12) Its possible that they were playing FIFO on me and knew that I am anxious to get the vehicle sooner than later, unfortunately I couldnt get beyond what was already offered. As explained earlier, they were more than happy to refund me my money, but then I didnt want to wait any longer as I was satisfied with the PDI. They were pretty much take it or leave it!
13) When I asked them why they didnt tell me earlier about April manufactured date - They explained me that they do have a few 2013/14 cars in stock. Such vehicles are disclosed and sold under separate scheme but my car is treated as 2015. Its possible that if I had waited till Q1 2016, then I may have gotten additional discount, provided no one else bought it.
14) I am driving it for last 2 days and pleased with the vehicle. I guess I had panicked because of horror stories I have read here about Germans. I guess Honda is much safer in such a scenario.

My old car was Swift 2006 and currently also have 2013 Ertiga diesel. This is my first Honda in India (I use to drive Integra when I was in college). Brio was selected because I wanted something small yet better quality than the Swift for commuting to work/city as Ertiga diesel was no longer practical in daily traffic.

Attached pic of vehicle being prepared for delivery
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Buying a New car with an Older manufacturing date-brio.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 29th December 2015 at 16:12.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 20:25   #96
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am in the same boat as buying a Brio Vx MT. Have made the booking advance and given a July 2015 VIN which is the newest of the lot. I plan to inspect the vehicle tomorrow before making up my mind to go ahead with the purchase. The dealer claims that it's October invoiced and delivered to them in November. I plan to check this record as well. Have already bargained quite hard to get a 50K cash discount and 10K access bundled with the package. Being a Honda I have little doubts on their intentions. The dealer is the largest Honda dealer of Delhi - Ring Road Honda. Does July manufactured actually gets qualified as a old vehicle or is it acceptable? Only Taffeta White is in stock with them.

Last edited by abhjain : 31st December 2015 at 20:26.
Old 3rd January 2016, 17:22   #97
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ok, inspected the car today and found everything in order as per the checklist available on this thread. Going ahead!
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:11   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Ok, inspected the car today and found everything in order as per the checklist available on this thread. Going ahead!
Nice move, I am loving this car. Was nervous first day but it keeps getting better and better. What a fun car!
Old 6th January 2016, 19:09   #99
BHPian

Bhpians - I am interested in Bolt and Zest . Seems like dealer in Bangalore is having a Dec 2014 manufactured car (invoiced in Jan 2015) . I will be doing a pdi soon and discuss with dealer on this. Apart from the regular checklist mentioned in this thread, should I check for anything else?
Old 15th January 2016, 00:44   #100
BHPian

OMG. I didn't see this thread earlier. I bought a Brio VMT from Brigade Honda, Bangalore in Dec-2015. During booking I specifically told their sales team lead Mr.Harry Samson that I do not want an old vehicle. He assured me that they will provide a Oct/Nov manufactured vehicle. I went for pre-delivery inspection too, but unfortunately I didn't check the manufacturing date. I asked for Form 22, but the sales executive Mr. Jagdeesh was just joined the job (1 month) and he do not have much idea on those things. My bad luck, I trusted this team lead Mr.Harry Samson and I didn't force Jagdeesh to get the Form 22, also I didn't care to check VIN. After taking delivery I just checked the VIN and came to know that it is a April manufactured vehicle. I was panicked and called my friend Mazoot in White Field Honda, Bangalore. He is a straight forward guy. I was thinking it could be a TD vehicle. Mazoot told me that there is a possibility of 8 months gap in Brio delivery. Also the Sales Executive, Mr. Jagdeesh (I trust him. He is new to his job and sincere, not like his team lead) assured me that it was not a TD vehicle and he only drove it from stock yard. And the odometer was showing 8 km, I know they can easily reset it. Also after seeing this thread, I feel like it is 'natural' for Brio to be in stock yard for 8 months.

But the sad part, I missed the Rs.50K discounts that you people are discussing in this thread. I got only 20K cash + 10K accessory (still I am waiting to get the accessory). Also Mr. Harry Samson was not fair on Insurance also. I paid Rs.20000 for Honda Assurance, but he got the policy from Oriental for Rs.13000 and told me that, it is their margin. I came to know this after registration and delivery.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:07   #101

Friends I have booked a Ford Aspire DCT (Titanium) and the dealer (Elite Ford, Bangalore) has given a VIN number MAJZXXMTKZFT12638 on checking the same i have found the following information at the etis ford website (https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do):

Primary Features
Build Date: 30.08.2015
Vehicle Line: B562
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Version: Series 31
Engine: 1.5L Duratec Ti-VCT (110PS) - Sigma

At the time of booking i was told that its a December Manufactured vehicle and given the VIN. When i informed them of the actual manufacturing date they are now saying they got the Vehicle only on 14th December and i could check their records for the same. I am now confused on the following points

1. Is it safe to take this car?
2. Are there any known problems with the early batch Aspire's which i should check out.

I am going to their showroom tomorrow to talk to the manager face to face. Any specifics i should question him on?

I am getting a 50K cash discount on Ex showroom price for the vehicle and am also getting the basic kit and 3rd year warranty free.
Thank you
Old 15th January 2016, 22:22   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibitg View Post
OMG. I didn't see this thread earlier. I bought a Brio VMT from Brigade Honda, Bangalore in Dec-2015. During booking I specifically told their sales team lead Mr.Harry Samson that I do not want an old vehicle. He assured me that they will provide a Oct/Nov manufactured vehicle. I went for pre-delivery inspection too, but unfortunately I didn't check the manufacturing date. I asked for Form 22, but the sales executive Mr. Jagdeesh was just joined the job (1 month) and he do not have much idea on those things. My bad luck, I trusted this team lead Mr.Harry Samson and I didn't force Jagdeesh to get the Form 22, also I didn't care to check VIN. After taking delivery I just checked the VIN and came to know that it is a April manufactured vehicle. I was panicked and called my friend Mazoot in White Field Honda, Bangalore. He is a straight forward guy. I was thinking it could be a TD vehicle. Mazoot told me that there is a possibility of 8 months gap in Brio delivery. Also the Sales Executive, Mr. Jagdeesh (I trust him. He is new to his job and sincere, not like his team lead) assured me that it was not a TD vehicle and he only drove it from stock yard. And the odometer was showing 8 km, I know they can easily reset it. Also after seeing this thread, I feel like it is 'natural' for Brio to be in stock yard for 8 months.

But the sad part, I missed the Rs.50K discounts that you people are discussing in this thread. I got only 20K cash + 10K accessory (still I am waiting to get the accessory). Also Mr. Harry Samson was not fair on Insurance also. I paid Rs.20000 for Honda Assurance, but he got the policy from Oriental for Rs.13000 and told me that, it is their margin. I came to know this after registration and delivery.

As per Team-BHP article, character 9 in Honda VIN represents manufacturing month. But in Internet, all other articles say character 9 is a 'check digit' which is used to verify the accuracy of the VIN. I am confused. My Honda Brio VIN 9th character is 'D'. So as per Team-BHP article the manufacturing month is 'April-2015', but as per the Vehicle Registration details the manufacturing month is 'Oct-2015'. So if the correct manufacturing date is 'Oct-2015', I am wrong but Mr. Harry Samson is correct.
Old 16th January 2016, 21:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
As per Team-BHP article, character 9 in Honda VIN represents manufacturing month. But in Internet, all other articles say character 9 is a 'check digit' which is used to verify the accuracy of the VIN. I am confused. My Honda Brio VIN 9th character is 'D'. So as per Team-BHP article the manufacturing month is 'April-2015', but as per the Vehicle Registration details the manufacturing month is 'Oct-2015'. So if the correct manufacturing date is 'Oct-2015', I am wrong but Mr. Harry Samson is correct.
No, 9th character is month. D = April.

It is correct that Brios are built in batches as the production line focuses on Amaze more than Brio, so it is rare that you will get recently manufactured Brio. There is nothing wrong with that as long as car was stored with care indoors and not outdoors. Mine was also April and I am satisfied with the car and did not find anything wrong with paint or rubber beadings. Its fresh as new and smells like new.

My fav version is VMT, keep in mind that there is less demand for VMT so there are chances that it was in stock unsold for too long, since SMT or VX are most popular demand model. Most dealers will not have VMT in stock.

Dec 2015, my final total on road for non metallic red was 5.36L after 20000 cash back dealer discount + Free insurance + free 4 year extended warranty + free mats. Actually I was shopping for SMT, but with discounts I realized why not upgrade to VMT as I am getting VMT for the price of SMT.

Dec 2015 was free insurance offer by Honda (atleast in NCR), check with your dealer or honda customer care why free insurance was not given to you.

Road tax is higher in BLR because they have best roads in the country, so your on-road may not be same as other locations.

Last edited by aerohit : 16th January 2016 at 21:51.
Old 16th January 2016, 22:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Just enjoy the car, Honda will not sell you Demo car like other horror stories you may have heard about European brands. It is just an unsold inventory of a very nice slow selling car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omprakashp View Post
Friends I have booked a Ford Aspire DCT (Titanium) and the dealer (Elite Ford, Bangalore) has given a VIN number MAJZXXMTKZFT12638 on checking the same i have found the following information at the etis ford website (https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do):

Primary Features

At the time of booking i was told that its a December Manufactured vehicle and given the VIN. When i informed them of the actual manufacturing date they are now saying they got the Vehicle only on 14th December and i could check their records for the same. I am now confused on the following points

2. Are there any known problems with the early batch Aspire's which i should check out.

I am going to their showroom tomorrow to talk to the manager face to face. Any specifics i should question him on?

I am getting a 50K cash discount on Ex showroom price for the vehicle and am also getting the basic kit and 3rd year warranty free.
Thank you
The Aspire is made in Gujarat, its possible that it can take a month to reach BLR, factor in other stuff like model/colour demand and it is normal to get a 3 months old car. Nothing wrong with that - you need to inspect the car carefully, if you are satisfied then you can drive it home!

Just follow the PDI : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Last edited by aerohit : 16th January 2016 at 22:11.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 22:09   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by omprakashp View Post

Primary Features

Thank you
I met the manager at the Dealership today and he showed me the form 22 for the car which is showing the manufacturing date as 30th December 2015 and he said they received the car only on 1st January 2016.

I am confused as how there are two different manufacturing dates for the same car.

Could someone explain this

Regards
Om

Most Viewed