Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 19:44   #61
BHPian

It depends on the miles logged. If you change the value of kms from 50,000 to say 80,000, diesel advantages start showing up.

If the price of diesel and petrol continues at a 10-11 Rs difference, then after the purchase, the difference in annual cost of ownership (not including EMIs) of a petrol to a diesel is approx = kms logged per year.

The parliamentary committee is set to meet tomorrow (Jun/7) for the next fuel price review. There are some calls for deregulation of fuel prices, but I don't think they will do it now because of inflation worries.
Old 7th June 2010, 07:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

@echo

Thanks for including the Fiesta petrol variants, the spreasheet gives a clear picture for the present Fiesta owners as well as for those planning of buying one.
The mindset of Diesel car being better in the longer run seems to have been quashed with the the TCO comparison. Great work man.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:22   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Echo - Nice initiative.

There seems to be an assumption of greater maintenance cost for Diesels - Modern Modern Diesels today typically have a a service interval of 10000-15000 kms.

The Diesels also have much better resale values than Petrols (though they normally cost more as well.) Have you cosidered this?

The resale value asumptions obviously are only that "assumptions" as there are No statistics based figues for cars like the Manza which say carwala can throw up for older vehicles.

So if we are doing a dieisel vs petrol comparo then it would make sence to compare relasale values of older vehicles having both petrol and diesel variants in the same year and then get a rule of thumb based on that and then using the same for modern diesels with todays service costs and effeciency.

Also 50K kms seem to be low for 3 years. Diesels are not recommended for anything less than 24-30K a year (2k-2.5k a month) so having an expensive to buy diesel for a low mileage computation would be a sure shot way of giving petrols an edge.

Also kmpl seem to be from ARAI - Using the Autocar Average figures (smartcat already has those figures) would give a better and more correct picture, as those figues are realized in actual usage, while ARAI figures are just test figures in ideal conditions and though good for comparisions are not useful for cost of ownership calculations.

Overall a fine effort - just mentioning a few points above that may act as food for thought and action.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:42   #64
BHPian

In my initial figures, I have added Rs.50k as 5 yrs spares+service for both petrol and diesels. However, after some feedback, I changed petrol to 40k and diesel to 60k in the current version.

Since I've never owned a diesel, I don't know. Is there any thread that has first hand information regarding maintenance intervals, costs etc of diesel cars?

The current resale values are = depreciation. Flawed because it is theoretical.

A lot of FE figures are mentioned in threads by users, but it is not possible to combine and tally them. That would need a formatted form type of thingy. If I get the time, I can try one on google docs and post it here for everyone to fill in.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:43   #65
BHPian

I am not able to download the attachment, is there any other way to get this ?
Pls HELP
Old 7th June 2010, 12:43   #66
BHPian

[PS: Mods may consider moving this thread to What Car -> Sedans as it seems to be more relevant there]
Old 7th June 2010, 12:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
I am not able to download the attachment, is there any other way to get this ?
Pls HELP
If you want an Excel file, it is in the first post.
I added some personal data in the new sheet, so I won't upload it for now.
Old 8th August 2010, 19:12   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I think that buying and owning a new car is more or less uneconomical for *most* working professionals these days (emphasis on word 'most').

How often will you suddenly need a car at 2 am to go to the hospital/ airport? How often will you be fleeced at autorickshaw/taxi drivers at inopportune times? How often will you go on trips with family and a full complement of luggage? If these probabilities are so low, can you still justify that you need that car even on non-economic grounds?
I partially agree with you, i used to follow your justification and didn't bought car. In city like Pune where it rains for almost four months and most of the times continuously it becomes quite inconvenient and unsafe too to ride a bike, (traffic in Pune is unruly anytime ) i somehow managed for 3 years but now after marriage it seems a necessity, for convenience and safety.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th August 2010 at 19:58. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pate from external font eidtors. Use Preview before submitting and use punctuations.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:30   #69
BHPian

Long term Ownership Cost Considerations

Hi All,

It will be my first post, and has been prompted by an accident that I had couple of days' back. The sequence of events that followed prompted a hard think on long term ownership costing.

As background, I have a Aug-06 Black Baleno LXi, and have done ~39K kms.
Driving in and around NCR, I have been unlucky (?) enough to have visited Body Shop, roughly once a year.

With my experience, parts don't break in modern vehicles, but accidental repair costs are something that needs to be factored in while looking at cost of ownership.

With a model that's out of production the spare prices go up. Also, the insurance payout also decreases as the car ages on (Lowering of IDV).

Last but not the least, the other car in accident was a Beemer. I was amazed to see the build quality. No effect on it at all. My Baleno had a bent bonnet, deformed bumper and a broken headlamp. So, if you have a car which has more robust build (Thicker sheets etc.) the repair bills would be low.

Wanted to throw these thoughts in to both share thoughts as well as see what the group thinks.

Mods: Please move this to the appropriate section, if posted in the wrong one by me.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th November 2010 at 23:40. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, already existing topic. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:21   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
This is the most important aspect and very few people pay enough attention to it. But then if you plant to keep the car for five or more years, then a new car is a better bet to keep maintenance costs down.
read the details in the link below it will answer your issue.
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - On Owning - YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?
Old 29th April 2011, 13:43   #71
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership

[quote=echo77;1924565]In my initial figures, I have added Rs.50k as 5 yrs spares+service for both petrol and diesels. However, after some feedback, I changed petrol to 40k and diesel to 60k in the current version.

I think 50k is too low as most people would end up changing two sets of tires in 5 years which means about Rs. 30,000 for a small car. Service bills do not come to less than Rs. 3000 on average. In five years you would have to pay for a new battery, clutch (possibly), brake pads (2 sets in 5 years). In addition the service center would insist on add ons like de-carbonising, fuel jet cleaning, throttle cleaning, coolant flush, engine oil flush. These days companies like Mahindra charge Rs. 300 extra per service for just lubricating the hinges. I'd say 5 years spares+service for a small car (@20,000km/ year) would come to about Rs. 75,000.
Old 14th May 2011, 00:45   #72

Re: Vehicle TCO calculator and comparison spreadsheet - Sedans

Hi echo77

Thank you for the spread sheet. I too was making one in the same model but for comparing the ownership cost of various vehicle. Am in the process of doing research for buying my next vehicle (looking for sedan) (need to arrive at whether to buy petrol or diesel too).

My excel is attached. You can enter values in the "Parameters" worksheet , service cost in service sheet and the calculations sheets does the math of owning the car. The sheet is made so that i can compare the cost for petrol and diesel variant.

Guys if you can help me out by posting back the sheet with your cost experience for your vehicle, it would be great.

Thanks again echo77 for the sheet.

Thanks and Regards
sibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
Based on various inputs from this forum, I decided to create a TCO calculator / comparison spreadsheet.

I am attaching the spreadsheet here for anyone to use/criticize/update.

All rates and taxes are Goa-based. Kindly update the corresponding columns and road tax formula for your city/state.

All columns in blue can be filled in by you based on the comparison you want.

The following cars are in the sheet:
sx4 variants, linea variants, city variants, fiesta diesel, optra diesel, cedia

Following are some of the items considered in the spreadsheet:
1) initial costs:
showroom price, road tax, 1st yr insurance, OTR price
2) loan:
amount, rate, tenure, total interest
3) 5 year cost:
fuel based on economy, spares (considered equal for all), insurance
3.a) for professionals/businessmen (5 yr):
depreciation, running expenses (fuel+servicing), interest expense, tax rate & benefit
4) claimed sale value (approx, based on discussions here)
5) some additional info - assumed cost of new car and depreciation calculation between sale of old car and cost of new etc
Attached Files
File Type: xls TCO Petrol and Diesel.xls (42.5 KB, 1107 views)
Old 14th May 2011, 11:45   #73

Re: Vehicle TCO calculator and comparison spreadsheet - Sedans

Hi All

Please use this sheet. had a problem in the calculation of distance perday when only the distance travelled in a year is entered in the "parameters sheet"

I have not considered the insurance cost in the excel. My generic assumption is service cost or diesel is almost double of petrol but some posts i have read states that the costs have almost evened out.

My current prefrence is for the Manza aura ABS. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks and Regards
Sibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibijv View Post
Hi echo77

Thank you for the spread sheet. I too was making one in the same model but for comparing the ownership cost of various vehicle. Am in the process of doing research for buying my next vehicle (looking for sedan) (need to arrive at whether to buy petrol or diesel too).

My excel is attached. You can enter values in the "Parameters" worksheet , service cost in service sheet and the calculations sheets does the math of owning the car. The sheet is made so that i can compare the cost for petrol and diesel variant.

Guys if you can help me out by posting back the sheet with your cost experience for your vehicle, it would be great.

Thanks again echo77 for the sheet.

Thanks and Regards
sibi
Attached Files
File Type: xls TCO Petrol and Diesel.xls (47.5 KB, 784 views)
Old 24th May 2011, 09:46   #74
BHPian

Calculate Your Car/Bike Monthly Expenses

Do you want to check your car/bike monthly expenses? Here is an attempt hope it may useful

Click on Calculate "My Commute Expenses" in WWW.RIDEMATES.ORG homepage
manne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership

I was having a long discussion with my FIL not very long ago on purchase of a car for himself. He is a government employee having a couple of years of service left, had a desire to own and drive a car for a long long time. He is now in a position to own a entry level car and naturally the cost of owner ship was one of the key points of discussion. When it came to the most minimum cost considering the use, following were points and conclusions arrived-

Can afford an entry level car say about 2 lakhs - makes it a new Nano or an used Alto or equivalent, has around 300 kms of usage per month mainly on weekends.

The breakup of costs per month are (approx values) -

EMI for Rs.2l loan - 4,500
Insurance premium - 700
Petrol (20ltrs * Rs.70)- 1,400
Maintenance costs - 400
Total - 7,000

Assuming the same 300kms is done using a city taxi @Rs.17/km - Rs.5100

Hence on a overall basis not the real cost of car ownership would be higher but yes the convenience, freedom is priceless.

The actual decision of buying the car is still at large at this point of time due to an altogether different reason (he needs to get his eyes diagnosed due to vision problem at night) and will be done once the situation changes. But wanted to share this thought process as many more would be in the same boat / situation as well!

Most Viewed