Team-BHP - ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/17749-article-real-cost-car-ownership-8.html)

Have been owning the lovely CRDi for 7 years and 1 month and below is the ownership cost break-up that I have captured.

Dashboard:
ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership-i20-ownership-cost.jpg

Note:
1. Sale price of the car is deducted in the purchase cost.
2. Some of the major hiccups I had with the car are
a) Frequent air bag warning light coming and need to replace the color ring.
b) OEM Audio set failed and ASS was not able to fix. Ended up replacing with Blaupunkt system
c) AC not working - replaced the evaporation coil.
3. No On-Road service availed. Thank God !!!

Taking delivery of Hyundai Creta CRDi SX(O) soon !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicselva (Post 4259870)
Have been owning the lovely CRDi for 7 years and 1 month and below is the ownership cost break-up that I have captured.

Taking delivery of Hyundai Creta CRDi SX(O) soon !!!

Congratulations for the new Creta!

In my opinion the service cost seems little at higher side, which is just below Rs 30,000 per year.

Dear members,

I am planning to buy a car now. Have for a multitude of reasons not bought one so far.

I am most concerned about availability of spares now. I imagine that we could have delays in procurement of spares and also increasing costs of spares.

Given this, is it preferable to go for a Maruti or a Hyundai car? How does Jeep fare in this? I like the Jeep Compass and I had gravitated much towards that before the pandemic struck.

I am impressed with the new CVT version of the Kicks from whatever I have read so far about it. I am still unsure if it has been launched or not been launched yet.

Unlike most drivers, I am still okay with the CVT and its rubber bands effects too, since it offers a lot of convenience. But Nissan has a pretty bad track record in India and again the issue of spares comes into picture. So that is again a 50-50 decision for me.

Based on the above criteria alone, I am willing to downgrade from a probable Jeep Compass to XL-6. I am considering Hyundai too but I am still not overly convinced with their new Creta since I am not a fan of its looks :(

So it all boils down to the spares availability now.

^^ No car today comes anywhere close to reliability of cars manufactured, say, between 2000 and 2012.

If your primary driver is some peace of mind and easy availability of spares, just go with a Tata or a Maruti.

Maruti build is getting flimsier by the day but reliability of cars is generally good.

Tatas are super strong and parts availability is good, but these cars have their niggles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landmaster18 (Post 4831587)
I am most concerned about availability of spares now. I imagine that we could have delays in procurement of spares and also increasing costs of spares.

If you are going to keep the car for a long time, please buy something that's popular right now preferably from a brand that considers India as a serious market.

This way parts are readily available as well as reasonably priced for a long time.

It is going to be for long term use only and for me and the family.

Also just wondering, in between Honda and Hyundai which is a more serious India focused auto maker? Availability of spares is obviously a concern and the costs also once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigsom (Post 4831595)
^^ No car today comes anywhere close to reliability of cars manufactured, say, between 2000 and 2012.

If your primary driver is some peace of mind and easy availability of spares, just go with a Tata or a Maruti.

Maruti build is getting flimsier by the day but reliability of cars is generally good.

Tatas are super strong and parts availability is good, but these cars have their niggles.

The Build quality of cars started to go down with the onset of globalisation.But in Indian market the trend started post 2010 when they were concerned with just increasing the production and sales charts.
But generally Japanese brands are considered more reliable especially TOYOTA, SUZUKI and HONDA. Parts availability of Maruti and Tata are almost on par. But TATA cars are not considered reliable (unlike their trucks), and their brand image and resale values are less compared to say a Maruti or a Toyota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landmaster18 (Post 4832188)
Also just wondering, in between Honda and Hyundai which is a more serious India focused auto maker? Availability of spares is obviously a concern and the costs also once again.

Easy, Honda> Hyundai.
Most Honda's are built in the UP region and thus are CBD's. Thus all spares are real real cheap.

Not a like to like comparison, but Honda windshield wiper cap costs like 70 Rs at Honda A.S.S whereas the same part costs a whopping 800 Rs on a VM polo.

Effects of localization has driven down the prices of Honda to very very nominal levels!:):thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by landmaster18 (Post 4831587)
Unlike most drivers, I am still okay with the CVT and its rubber bands effects too, since it offers a lot of convenience.

I wanted to go with Magnite CVT top end model and limited number of service centres at my place was a concern.