Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 22:10   #136
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car

Hello TBhpians,

Need some advice on a deal on the offer. Have posted this on the ‘Used Car of the week’ thread as well, but thought this is a better forum.

Have been looking for a used Innova for a while now. Just came across the below deal recently.Need advice on the below points.

a. 2013 Innova G 7 STR | ODO - 1.25 lacs | 6 lac (including transfer charges) | Vehicle is in good condition with minor dents, driven completely within Pune and Mumbai (i know the owner) -> Should one go for this?
b. Can we convert 7 seater to 8 seater arrangement?
c. If b. is yes, how is the comfort as compared to the original 8 seater?

I plan to keep the car for next 3-4 years, with 50K run expected.

Thanks for the help ��

Last edited by PassionateDrive : 29th December 2020 at 22:24.
Old 30th January 2021, 19:49   #137

Used Honda Accord: Need advice

Used Honda Accord: Need advice

Need some advice.
I came to Calcutta to stay with my parents for some till covid gets over for good. Was looking for another Accord here.
Got one. Decent car. Not too many dents/ scratches (but there are a few). The front bumper, as expected, is screwed in! Looks horrible, but I can live with it. Tyres are almost gone.
2013 manufactured and registered. 31500 driven. Automatic with sunroof. Asking for 6L.

Two challenges:
1. The seller is claiming that he took the car from bank (previous owner failed on loan); but has not transferred the ownership yet. Showed me NOC from the bank dated 2020 Feb.
2. Road tax pending since 2018. He agreed to deduct the amount from the agreed sell price.

I DO NOT know the seller (or previous owner). No contact. Help me to decide if I should buy it.
Thanks for help in advance.
Old 30th January 2021, 21:14   #138
BHPian

Re: Used Honda Accord: Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by raktim_suparna View Post
Thanks for help in advance.
I wouldn't touch this mess with a ten-foot pole personally.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th January 2021 at 23:01. Reason: Quote trimmed.
stallmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 21:18   #139

New Nexon or a used Sedan?

Hi All,

Firstly, i'm a huge fan of TeamBhp, thanks for all the insightful discussions.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and could use your advice.

I've book a Tata Nexon, XZ+ in April, the delivery date has been postponed to July. ( These forums were a supe helpful in helping with zeroing in on the Nexon)

The Nexon would be an upgrade from my current Grandi10 2014, which has completed just 30k kms.

Being in lockdown has given me a bit of mental clarity and is making me think whether i really need a new car. I don't have a daily commute, and will using the car mainly for weekend drives in and outside the city,

So, instead of investing 12+L on a depreciating asset and having an obligation of a loan, ,i was thinking of cancelling my booking and buying a used sedan instead, a honda city in the 6-7 lakh range all cash.

I'd love to hear your advice on what you think is the best option?
managhatke77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 22:52   #140
BHPian

Re: New Nexon or a used Sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by managhatke77 View Post
Hi All,
The Nexon would be an upgrade from my current Grandi10 2014, which has completed just 30k kms.

So, instead of investing 12+L on a depreciating asset and having an obligation of a loan, ,i was thinking of cancelling my booking and buying a used sedan instead, a honda city in the 6-7 lakh range all cash.
First of all, purchasing a vehicle is never an investment IMHO . Leaving that aside, considering your limited car usage pattern, buying a used sedan suiting your budget is certainly not a bad idea. On the other hand, assuming your car is in good condition, why not hold on to your Grand i10 for another couple of years and see how things pan out?

Last edited by Emvi : 6th June 2021 at 23:03. Reason: Better wording
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 22:58   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I'd strongly recommend going the used car route, where you can get a lot of car for a lot less cash. Since usage is going to be less, you don't have to carry the liability of a new car.However, I see you are in Bengaluru and understand that used cars are also priced high there.

Please identify your target car( in your case, you've set your sights on a Honda City at INR 7 lacs, perfect !), and scout for a good example, preferably from an individual owner.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 23:10   #142
BHPian

If you haven't already sold your Grand i10 then I suggest you hold on to it especially because its only 30k kms driven. Forget about any other purchases.

If you have already sold your car - What was your intention of buying the Nexon? If you didn't plan to take it over rough roads where ground clearance is must, you don't require it really.
If you plan to keep the car for long more than 10 years then I suggest go for Nexon even if its a deprecating asset and try to pay the loan asap.

Any used vehicle will demand some investment in maintenance. Although its a financial better option but not worth it if you are going to keep your car for long especially now considering the governments scrapping rules.

Many other points come into consideration like your ability to pick the right used vehicle, your pre existing loans and your financial situation etc etc.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 12:18   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
If you haven't already sold your Grand i10 then I suggest you hold on to it especially because its only 30k kms driven. Forget about any other purchases.

If you have already sold your car - What was your intention of buying the Nexon? If you didn't plan to take it over rough roads where ground clearance is must, you don't require it really.
If you plan to keep the car for long more than 10 years then I suggest go for Nexon even if its a deprecating asset and try to pay the loan asap.

Any used vehicle will demand some investment in maintenance. Although its a financial better option but not worth it if you are going to keep your car for long especially now considering the governments scrapping rules.

Many other points come into consideration like your ability to pick the right used vehicle, your pre existing loans and your financial situation etc etc.
Thanks all for your response, i'm sorry i don't know how to quote multiple responses, so i'll respond to everyone here.

No, i haven't sold the Grandi10, i may keep it as a spare car in the house.

I'm looking at a new car because the Grandi10 Magna doesn't have airbags, so the new car should be safe and give me the confidence in highway drives.

I've seen a couple of 2019, Honda City's V, MT and the owers are asking for ~8L, 20k Km done, i plan on getting the car checked with service centre for any damages, but does it seem like a fair deal?

I'm also considering a Vento, MT, but the maintance cost scares me.

I've always been wary of taking loans, so i have no current loans, liabilities –*i'm looking for a reliable and safe vehicle which will take me from point A to B, and is a bit of fun to drive.

I hope this additional context helps.
managhatke77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 13:19   #144
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Would be great if some of you could share your experiences in sorting this out.

I've been thinking of buying a car and this will be my first car purchase.

Important Note: Although I don't own a car personally, I'm quite confident at driving cars of any size because of being the designated driver at home (family car) and regular road trips with rental cars. I learnt driving at an early age and it's the only thing that I'm truly confident about to be honest

Here's my dilemma: Should I buy a used car or a new car?

A little background

As you would have guessed, I love driving. Like everyone on this forum, the journey and the driving is what I enjoy the most and not reaching the destination itself. I have been itching to buy "the car" for me and I feel it is finally time for it, especially since I recently got married. So there is someone to share these road trips with (thankfully she loves it too).

I'm obviously going to treat the car like my baby and intend to keep the car for long. I'm also preferring a car that has AWD so that I can explore places. I'm an offroad junkie and on two wheels, I have the KTM 390Adv which I absolutely adore. I want to have the same experience in four-wheels with little compromises.

Things I need from my car

1. Great performance and dynamics. I love to drive mountainous roads and hence would like a car that provides great steering feedback and handling. Also, putting the foot down should mean it should go. Idea is to not drive like a maniac, but have ample amount of both performance and dynamics that will not leave me wanting for more.

2. Strong build quality and long-term reliability. I don't intend to keep changing the car. So would prefer a car that has long-term reliability (provided I take good care of it, which I know I will). Even things like squeaky noises and rattling sounds put me off, so I want as less of them as possible as time passes.

3. Creature comforts. The car is not a transportation device for me. I consider it as an experience in itself. I love being in the car and hence also want my experience within the car to be nice. Would ideally prefer cars which at least have the following:
  • Cruise control - for munching boring highway miles and giving my foot some rest
  • Ventilated seats - I really get swamped on long distance drives and it's a thing I hate. Would prefer cars with ventilated seats
  • Nice soft-touch materials where the hands go
  • Decent NVH levels
  • Practical storage space inside the cabin for carrying everything we need on long drives
  • Practical boot space

4. 4x4 capability. I'm expecting the highway-offroad split to be 70-30 but the off-road is never going to be below 20% for sure. If not 4x4, I would need the car to be at least capable of pulling itself out of basic off-road situations.

My budget for all of this?

I did some budgeting and I can definitely push it to ~50k per month expense (including EMI, fuel costs and other vehicle expenses). However, it's something that I'd like optimize as much as possible.

Obviously, if I can get all (or most) of the above in a used car for much lesser, my checklist would be fine and I'll get to save a bit more of money. However, I'm really worried about the reliability, maintenance costs of older cars etc. and quite simply the hassle of checking everything as well.
Old 19th July 2021, 17:34   #145
BHPian

The time has come for me to pick the Team- bhp brains.
I am in my fifties and have cut down on work and travel. Semi retired would be a close description.
I possess a 6 year old Tata Nano which I use as a runabout in the neighborhood.
The Nano is a little gem in crowded Mumbai but isn't an option while driving intercity.
I sold my earlier car some months ago owing to it crossing the ten year mark.
My monthly usage would be in the region of 700 km max.
With a budget of around 12 lakhs should I plonk my money on a new sub 4m SUV or be adventurous and look for a sparingly used car / SUV from a higher segment ?
I was set on the new compact SUV; but the articles on Team-bhp and the adverts for
' luxury cars at the price of a hatchback ' have got me a little greedy.
Old 25th August 2021, 00:25   #146
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Been pretty long time and hanging around here. A quick question - Would like to trade my Honda City for Ecosport(Titanium). Request the experts to chip in with some elucidation. Reasons- ground clearance, better engine of Ford TDCi, the itch to have a SUV (atleast the feel of it).
Please advise my choices are (in order of preference)- Ecosport(TDCi), Creta , XUV500.

The most important aspect - price do not want to cross 12L. Am currently in Hyderabad.

Thanks
Prasad

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 25th August 2021 at 00:29. Reason: Added budget
Old 25th August 2021, 17:12   #147

Hello esteemed members,

Need your opinion/guidance on a 2017 Mahindra Thar CRDE 4X4 BS IV in Bangalore with 25k on the odo, listed at ~INR 8.75l.

Questions:
a. I don't want to lowball, but what could be a realistic price range ? If India Blue Book is to be believed, it shows a range of 5.75 to 6.5 for one in good condition. Current used car prices in Bangalore are off the charts and is very difficult to guage a right price without help from experienced people.
b. Any specific things / red flags i should look out for?
c. It's a long shot, but does anyone have experience with this dealer : Sai Cars at Padmanabhanagar, Bangalore?

TIA.
Old 26th July 2022, 15:40   #148
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians,

Need to pick your brains. Recently my 2017 Vento TSI DSG which had run about 55k kms got affected in the floods in Bangalore and has been categorised as Scrap. Expecting Insurance payout for the same.

Also, i recently bought a Tata Punch for my wife. So there was no immediate plan to buy another car this soon. The plan was to keep the Vento for another 2 years atleast and then upgrade to an XUV700 etc. So in quite a fix as to what to do next.

Budget: Including the insurance payout, the fixed cash component would be about INR 5,00,000. Rest would need to be loan.

Premise: Looking at the roads in Bangalore (have just shifted here 5 months back after 18 years in Mumbai), i am not keen on sedans. Prefer Compact SUVs. I need a car that is readily available. So rules out all the SUVs from Hyundai, Kia and upcoming Toyota/Maruti.

Option 1: Buy a used Creta petrol automatic. Been looking at vehicles on spinny and other classified as well as one know car broker. These are some observations:
1. Cars from 2016-2018: These seem to be the original design. Getting cars with upwards of 75k kms for about 10-11 lacs, Cars less than 50k kms for about 12-13 lacs
2. Cars from 2018-2020: These are the cars before the current facelift. These are listed for about 14-15 lacs

Option 2: Buy a Taigun/Kusaq (Highline/Ambient variant) These are for about 18 lacs on-road. (Btw, my dad already owns a Taigun and is very Happy with it)

Thought:
1. If i am able to get a good Creta that has run below 50k kms for about 10 lacs, buy that. Have kept a 50-75k budget to spruce it up a bit.
2. If good cars are only available for about 13 lacs or so, then buy one a new car (Taigun/Kushaq).
3. This comes from the fact that loan interest rate for new car is about 7.5-8% with paying term upto 7 years whereas load interest rate for a used car is 12.5-13% with a paying term of upto 5 years. So the different in monthly EMI between a used 13 lac car and new 18 lac car is about 3,000 Rs a month.

Any suggestions would help. Especially on the risks on buying a second Creta. If there are any known long-term issues etc.
Old 5th August 2022, 14:24   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

Need to pick your brains. Recently my 2017 Vento TSI DSG which had run about 55k kms got affected in the floods in Bangalore and has been categorised as Scrap. Expecting Insurance payout for the same.

Also, i recently bought a Tata Punch for my wife. So there was no immediate plan to buy another car this soon. The plan was to keep the Vento for another 2 years atleast and then upgrade to an XUV700 etc. So in quite a fix as to what to do next.

Budget: Including the insurance payout, the fixed cash component would be about INR 5,00,000. Rest would need to be loan.

Premise: Looking at the roads in Bangalore (have just shifted here 5 months back after 18 years in Mumbai), i am not keen on sedans. Prefer Compact SUVs. I need a car that is readily available. So rules out all the SUVs from Hyundai, Kia and upcoming Toyota/Maruti.

Option 1: Buy a used Creta petrol automatic. Been looking at vehicles on spinny and other classified as well as one know car broker. These are some observations:
1. Cars from 2016-2018: These seem to be the original design. Getting cars with upwards of 75k kms for about 10-11 lacs, Cars less than 50k kms for about 12-13 lacs
2. Cars from 2018-2020: These are the cars before the current facelift. These are listed for about 14-15 lacs

Option 2: Buy a Taigun/Kusaq (Highline/Ambient variant) These are for about 18 lacs on-road. (Btw, my dad already owns a Taigun and is very Happy with it)

Thought:
1. If i am able to get a good Creta that has run below 50k kms for about 10 lacs, buy that. Have kept a 50-75k budget to spruce it up a bit.
2. If good cars are only available for about 13 lacs or so, then buy one a new car (Taigun/Kushaq).
3. This comes from the fact that loan interest rate for new car is about 7.5-8% with paying term upto 7 years whereas load interest rate for a used car is 12.5-13% with a paying term of upto 5 years. So the different in monthly EMI between a used 13 lac car and new 18 lac car is about 3,000 Rs a month.

Any suggestions would help. Especially on the risks on buying a second Creta. If there are any known long-term issues etc.
Some points:
1) If you can afford to buy a new car, go for it. At 18L, you will get well featured Creta/Seltos itself.
2) If you are hung on a particular model/make/version which is no longer available now (or budget not within the reach), go for a preowned version of specific car. However be aware of what kind of up keeping is needed for that.
3) If you are going for a loan, I would suggest to go for a new car. At 3k per month, you are buying peace of mind. Please note that Hyundai's service gets costly with age and odometer increase.

Coming to your question on Creta. They are are reliable and no specific niggles AFAIK. Have couple of my friends have covered 1.5 and 1.2 Lakh in their Diesel Creta and nothing major except regular maintenance.
Old 5th August 2022, 21:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Coming to your question on Creta. They are are reliable and no specific niggles AFAIK. Have couple of my friends have covered 1.5 and 1.2 Lakh in their Diesel Creta and nothing major except regular maintenance.
1.5 lac kms is not really a testament to reliability these days all cars can easily do that. I believe there is a thread on our own forum documenting braking issues on Cretas it might be worth a look although I am pretty sure that such a glaring fault would have been rectified on the new model, it does speak a lot about the brand that you are buying into. I have personally not encountered any such issue with Hyundai's all I know is that their petrol motors are a little lackluster but their autoboxes are tuned well and if you get a car with ventilated seats there's no arguing with that

An used S-Cross might make more sense in terms of reliability not to mention its chassis and dynamic abilities are head and shoulders above the Creta.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th August 2022 at 21:04.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks