Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/17751-article-buying-new-car-vs-used-car-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieseldunk (Post 2223057)
IMHO we need to check even minute details thoroughly before purchasing a pre owned car.

100% agreed. While the transparency may be higher in CPO (certified pre-owned) cars, the checks I've listed in the used car buying article are mandatory! Heck, even if you are buying from a family member, there is absolutely no reason to skimp on the precautionary measures.

How do you check the condition of the turbo in a used car? I'm asking because very few drivers follow the '30 second idling' and 'no blipping' rule for turbocharged engines in India. Is it better to avoid turbocharged vehicles altogether, or are they somewhat bulletproof? What would be the telltale signs of turbo problems? Is it always safer to buy new when it comes to turbo engines?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2224711)
100% agreed. While the transparency may be higher in CPO (certified pre-owned) cars, the checks I've listed in the used car buying article are mandatory! Heck, even if you are buying from a family member, there is absolutely no reason to skimp on the precautionary measures.

thanks GTO
you can bet that every time now my friend buys a newspaper he checks if it is read by someone already (HEE!!HEE!!) stupid:

Hi All,
I have a problem which many might be facing. I have a SWIFT LDi reading 24000km on the odometer. There is absolutely no problem with the car. Great mileage and pick up.

However I am tempted to upgrade to a Punto 90bhp diesel or an i 20 diesel. My query to all team bhpians is that should I upgrade immediately or wait for a few more years and then upgrade two notches above to a swanky sedan. Please advise

Quote:

Originally Posted by raichoudhury (Post 2299084)
Hi All,
I have a problem which many might be facing. I have a SWIFT LDi reading 24000km on the odometer. There is absolutely no problem with the car. Great mileage and pick up.

However I am tempted to upgrade to a Punto 90bhp diesel or an i 20 diesel. My query to all team bhpians is that should I upgrade immediately or wait for a few more years and then upgrade two notches above to a swanky sedan. Please advise

Hi Raichoudhury,

I suggest you stick to your Swift. It is a beast to drive (Diesel version), performs well with great mileage, has a long waiting period, plus you have driven it less. If it ticks most of the checkboxes with you and your family, stick to it. It will give many more miles (read smiles) if you retain it for long.

Think of the amount that you would need to spend for getting hold of the Punto or the i20 after selling the Swift. I think that with your type of running, the additional amount spent for acquisition (Punto/i20) can easily cover your fuel expenses for quite some years! Give it a thought.

I would also love to get some points of view and info on this query.

Given the ever increasing choice of good used vehicles available in the market, there are some lovely possibilities for a lateral upgrade to a better vehicle.

Almost all these (in my consideration set at least) are Turbocharged Diesels and I would really like to be able to ascertain the condition of the Turbo before buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekgk (Post 2225299)
How do you check the condition of the turbo in a used car? I'm asking because very few drivers follow the '30 second idling' and 'no blipping' rule for turbocharged engines in India. Is it better to avoid turbocharged vehicles altogether, or are they somewhat bulletproof? What would be the telltale signs of turbo problems? Is it always safer to buy new when it comes to turbo engines?

Many thanks for a well written guide. I see that while buying a new car had far less hassles, buying a used car would be lot cheaper considering car as a value depreciating asset. After having done my research on team-bhp and having gone through several do's and dont's I've zeroed in on buying a used WagonR Duo. I feel that's the car for me and suits my driving needs. Your article demystified several of my worries/queries. Many thanks again. Happy motoring!

That's a well thought out article GTO. Thanks a ton for that. I'm planning to buy a used car under 2.5 lakhs in Hyderabad.

I would like some advice from BHPians on what car would suit me.

This would be my 1st car.
My usage would not exceed 800Km a month including highway driving.
I would want to keep the car for at least 4 years from now.
I'm looking for some good FE and no nonsense maintenance to start with.
Would want to spend no more than 4.5k each month on fuel + service and spares.
I'm 5'9'' and not so comfortable in an Alto. :-(

I thought a WagonR Duo would be it. I really like WagorR's spacious interiors and the ease with which one could enter and exit. Pre-owned dealerships like FirstChoice and Hyundai Advantage quote a 3.2 lakh for 2007/2008 Waggie that did around 40000km. Is it worth that price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharathreddyt (Post 2356330)
That's a well thought out article GTO. Thanks a ton for that. I'm planning to buy a used car under 2.5 lakhs in Hyderabad.

I would like some advice from BHPians on what car would suit me.

This would be my 1st car.
My usage would not exceed 800Km a month including highway driving.
I would want to keep the car for at least 4 years from now.
I'm looking for some good FE and no nonsense maintenance to start with.
Would want to spend no more than 4.5k each month on fuel + service and spares.
I'm 5'9'' and not so comfortable in an Alto. :-(

I thought a WagonR Duo would be it. I really like WagorR's spacious interiors and the ease with which one could enter and exit. Pre-owned dealerships like FirstChoice and Hyundai Advantage quote a 3.2 lakh for 2007/2008 Waggie that did around 40000km. Is it worth that price?

Hi Bharath, 3.2 for a 2007 model Wagon R IMO is too much especially for one that has done around 40K kms.. i myself got a wagon r from Maruti True Value showroom at arnd 2.7.. although it was late 2006 model. and the odo read 30K. For maruti used cars, i would suggest you go to the Maruti True Value itself, as the Hyundai and first choice seem to be quoting far more than its worth.
Best of Luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow_bhp (Post 2361888)
Hi Bharath, 3.2 for a 2007 model Wagon R IMO is too much especially for one that has done around 40K kms.. i myself got a wagon r from Maruti True Value showroom at arnd 2.7.. although it was late 2006 model. and the odo read 30K. For maruti used cars, i would suggest you go to the Maruti True Value itself, as the Hyundai and first choice seem to be quoting far more than its worth.
Best of Luck.

2.7 for a 5yr old wagonR. If i see that way, a 2008 model with the factory fitted LPG kit would sell for 3lakhs probably. I'm not sure though. I'll go around these show rooms sometime next week and check prices myself.

How people arrive at the price of a pre-owned vehicle is still a mystery for me. I have just started looking for a Pre-owned SUV with an age between 1 and 3 years. Dealers have been quoting extremely varying figures for vehicles of almost the same age and almost similar condition.

Ex. dec 2009 Manufactured Pajero registered in Mumbai in feb 2010 is being quoted for Rs. 17.5 lakhs. Whereas a June 2009 registered vehicle was sold for 18 lakhs.

How should i calculate the price (factoring the depreciation) to arrive at a value for quoting.

An extremely well kept Sept 2008 Captiva has been quoted for 13.75 lakhs.

Need suggestions and inputs of SUVs and their actual quotable prices in Mumbai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquavelva (Post 2377738)
How people arrive at the price of a pre-owned vehicle is still a mystery for me. I have just started looking for a Pre-owned SUV with an age between 1 and 3 years. Dealers have been quoting extremely varying figures for vehicles of almost the same age and almost similar condition.

Ex. dec 2009 Manufactured Pajero registered in Mumbai in feb 2010 is being quoted for Rs. 17.5 lakhs. Whereas a June 2009 registered vehicle was sold for 18 lakhs.

10-15% variation in price is pretty common for used vehicles, specially if it is high end. As you probably know, one simple rule of thumb is to knock off 20% in the first year, and 15-10% for subsequent years till about 5. However this "rule"is not linear and depends from model to model. Some brands have more holding power.

Another way is to check some websites for ideas and use an envelope of 10% on either side. I am not surprised by the variation of Pajero price that you have mentioned, it is perfectly normal.

Hope it helps!

Dot: Thanks for your feedback. What about the depreciation calculation done by the financial institutions ? Do they also follow the same logic. Or would they give a lower valuation to the same vehicle.

A request : GTO could we have a thread where members buying / researching pre-owned vehicles put up the suggested rates of the vehicles in their city?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 679920)
6) Style Matters - It’s really difficult to flaunt a used car, unless it’s been modified to the hilt. Try telling your friend that you have bought a used car & the probability of him being really curious to see it will be low.

Apply the same yardstick to the entire extended family with a real image setback. With friends it should be ok.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 679920)
7) Long term keeps - There are many of us who would like to keep their cars for at least 5 - 8 years. It’s always prudent to go for a new car in such cases as depreciation will not take a major toll on you. Also you will always know what’s going on inside your car as you would have been with it right from day1.

Been searching for a good Ford Fiesta TDCi for the last 3 months. Those that are available have a sky high price tag and the nagging doubt of part failures . Have almost given up now. About to finalize on a new Optra Magnum for a few lakhs more compared to the used cars.

Hi,

My Hyundai Verna VGT 2008 was stolen few weeks back. Little hope of getting it back.

I am now evaluating whether to buy a used or new car. Read yr article.

My budget is approx 6-7 L.

Since I work from home, my usage is low with the occasional weekend outing. Avg 500kms a month. This normally means diesel option is out, going by the above-1200kms-month-go-for-diesel rule.

Also I need recommendations on on used cars within 6-7L budget. I am confused as I'm used to the Verna 110 HP power and not sure if I can get any new car that's equally good.