Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2014, 15:01   #76
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car

Does it make sense to buy a punto diesel with 90k on the odo for 1.7 lakh?
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 14:30   #77
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post

Nope. I dont think so. 90K is too high a mileage.
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 09:31   #78
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
I would see the model very closely. I think 90k is not a lot of mileage, but I think suspensions, clutch, brakes, tires and a lot of electrical may need to be changed/overhauled. Please get the car inspected properly before buying it. And trust me, you'll have to keep a budget to do this within a year, if not immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Nope. I dont think so. 90K is too high a mileage.
Sorry, but in the new millennium, modern engines can go upto 3 lakh plus km without overhauling. Yes, you need to replace all other parts to keep your vehicle running that long.
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 10:21   #79
BHPian

I am in the market right now and am very keen to change my current Mitsubishi Cedia. The options that I have narrowed down to are:

1. Fiat Linea Tjet top end - 11l approx
2. Honda city auto top end - 13.5L
3. And this is where the confusion is. A second hand outlander with around 20-30k kms on the clock. I saw some in the 12-15L range but am looking at something in the 10-11L range.

My driving is not much as I have clocked only 42k kms in 6 years on the Cedia. Any help in taking a decision would be awesome.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 06:50   #80
BHPian

Friends,
I am in a hunt of a well maintained pre-owned Innova in Pune. It's been almost 3 months that I am into it. I did come across few good well maintained Innovas, but some or the other way the deal could not be positive. My budget is 7.5L at max.
Yesterday I checked out a Oct 2005 innova, which had only 60K on the odo.
It was strange as in last 9 years so less milage. By the look of it, the vehicle had a very rich paint which made my eyes go for a microscopic look to check if it had any repaint marks. But except for few minor places, it didn't.
I will be checking it's history at the authorized service center at DSK. Meanwhile I would want an expert's advice to let me know if buying an Innova 9 years old with genuine history and less odo reading a good proposition and what should be the expected cost of buying it.
The present owner(first) is expecting 6.25L, which is too high considering the year of manufacture and also would like to know how to check if ABS is available or not. For sure Airbag in not available.

I have also another one which is 2009 G series Innova with ABS. Its a Bombay passing but 2nd owner. The history says the 2nd owner had purchaces it around 17months ago. The vehicle has done 51K and awsomely maintained. The owner is expecting 8.65L.
It's been a month and a half that I checked this vehicle and it's not sold yet. I have quoted him for 7L. Should I revisit him with an increased quote?

Kindly advice.

Thanks and regards.

Last edited by SHAHBAAZ : 21st July 2014 at 06:57. Reason: Minor changes
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:12   #81
BHPian

Used Honda City or AHNC? - Need Help!

Hi Friends!

I'm in a bit of a situation here and seek your inputs to reach a fair conclusion. I have been fishing for a used Honda City Ivtec (2010-2012) for the past 1.5 - 2 months and have seen various variants (SMT & VMT). While my budget isn't an issue and I intend to use this car personally (At least for the next 4-5 years).

I have seen cars ranging from 5.2 to 6.5 lakhs (some in very good condition) and I was literally on the verge of finalizing one, before I came across this unregistered 2013 city VMT which was used by one of the Honda dealerships as a demo car until the AHNC launched in 2014. It has done about 6k on the meter and is in top notch condition. The dealer quoted a price of 9.5 lakhs and negotiated to 9.25 lakhs (On road). Moreover, they will not provide a warranty on this car and said that I would have to purchase an extended warranty plan if I wanted one.

Now, if I compare this cost (9.25 lakhs) with the cost of a new 2014 Honda city, say probably an S variant, although I may end up buying a lower variant model with lesser features however I get the most recent model for a similar on road price in Mumbai.

Next steps!
1. Either I stick to my original plan of buying a used city (2010-2012) and buy one for up-to 6 lakhs
2. I buy the 2013 VMT model which is fully loaded

Or;

3. I go ahead with booking the 2014 AHNC S variant with reduced features

Seek your suggestions and inputs!

Cheers!
M@verick
M@verick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Honda City or AHNC? - Need Help!

I would go with option 3. latest generation of the Honda City is better in almost every respect.
BTW, term ANHC is confusing as it was associated with the previous generation City.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I would go with option 3. latest generation of the Honda City is better in almost every respect.
BTW, term ANHC is confusing as it was associated with the previous generation City.
Thanks bud!

Although I agree that buying the latest 2014 Honda city makes more sense even if it is a lower variant as I will still get a better value if I intend to sell it after 4-5 years. But I am lured towards options like alloy wheels, cruise control, leather upholstery etc in the 2013 city VMT.
M@verick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I am in the market right now and am very keen to change my current Mitsubishi Cedia. The options that I have narrowed down to are:

3. And this is where the confusion is. A second hand outlander with around 20-30k kms on the clock. I saw some in the 12-15L range but am looking at something in the 10-11L range.

My driving is not much as I have clocked only 42k kms in 6 years on the Cedia. Any help in taking a decision would be awesome.
I would suggest you to go for honda city or Linea! If you get the outlander you might have to struggle when the time comes to sell it off! and what the actual FE of the car? some of these big petrol cars are so thirsty that taking a taxi makes more sense.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:55   #85
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@verick View Post
Hi Friends!

I'm in a bit of a situation here and seek your inputs to reach a fair conclusion. I have been fishing for a used Honda City Ivtec (2010-2012) for the past 1.5 - 2 months and have seen various variants (SMT & VMT). While my budget isn't an issue and I intend to use this car personally (At least for the next 4-5 years).

I have seen cars ranging from 5.2 to 6.5 lakhs (some in very good condition) and I was literally on the verge of finalizing one, before I came across this unregistered 2013 city VMT which was used by one of the Honda dealerships as a demo car until the AHNC launched in 2014. It has done about 6k on the meter and is in top notch condition. The dealer quoted a price of 9.5 lakhs and negotiated to 9.25 lakhs (On road). Moreover, they will not provide a warranty on this car and said that I would have to purchase an extended warranty plan if I wanted one.

Now, if I compare this cost (9.25 lakhs) with the cost of a new 2014 Honda city, say probably an S variant, although I may end up buying a lower variant model with lesser features however I get the most recent model for a similar on road price in Mumbai.

Next steps!
1. Either I stick to my original plan of buying a used city (2010-2012) and buy one for up-to 6 lakhs
2. I buy the 2013 VMT model which is fully loaded

Or;

3. I go ahead with booking the 2014 AHNC S variant with reduced features
  • Either option 1 or option 3. No way should you buy the option 2.
  • Ask yourself this: Are you going to use the car for 5 years only? I guess you could use a spacious car like City for 10+ years easily. (May vary )

Scene 1: Buy a used city(2011-12) and use it for 5 years.
    Note:
  • It won't cost much.(5.xx or 6 lakh INR)
  • Should be reliable
  • Maintenance will be high after a year or two. (This can vary with the usage of the car)

Scene 2: Buy a new City(S or SV) and keep it for 8-10 years

I'm against buying a VMT city for 9.xx lakh as it doesn't make financial sense. Depreciation will hit you real hard when you sell the car as the new city will have more value than the old city. And the last generation city was never known for it's equipmeant levels anyway. So forget it.
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:09   #86
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

• Fiat=Bad ASS in some parts of the country. Some BHPians claim it is improving. Good driving machine.
  • Honda=Peace of mind. Not wholly aimed at the enthusiast.
  • Mitsubishi=Avoid it. Dealer network is thin. Resale value might be negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
Friends,
I am in a hunt of a well maintained pre-owned Innova in Pune. It's been almost 3 months that I am into it. I did come across few good well maintained Innovas, but some or the other way the deal could not be positive. My budget is 7.5L at max.
Yesterday I checked out a Oct 2005 innova, which had only 60K on the odo.
It was strange as in last 9 years so less milage. By the look of it, the vehicle had a very rich paint which made my eyes go for a microscopic look to check if it had any repaint marks. But except for few minor places, it didn't.
I will be checking it's history at the authorized service center at DSK. Meanwhile I would want an expert's advice to let me know if buying an Innova 9 years old with genuine history and less odo reading a good proposition and what should be the expected cost of buying it.
The present owner(first) is expecting 6.25L, which is too high considering the year of manufacture and also would like to know how to check if ABS is available or not. For sure Airbag in not available.

I have also another one which is 2009 G series Innova with ABS. Its a Bombay passing but 2nd owner. The history says the 2nd owner had purchaces it around 17months ago. The vehicle has done 51K and awsomely maintained. The owner is expecting 8.65L.
It's been a month and a half that I checked this vehicle and it's not sold yet. I have quoted him for 7L. Should I revisit him with an increased quote?

Kindly advice.

Thanks and regards.
  • About car 1:
  • 60k km in 9 years is not a lot, but not something to be worried about. It will perform well
  • V models had ABS and airbag in the first gen Innova
  • Considering my friend sold his 2006 Innova (2.5 V, 100k km) on odo @ 5.3 lakh, I think it's a fair deal if the car is well maintained.
  • About car 2:
  • When you sell this vehicle, your resale maybe better.
  • I think 7 lakh is a fair price.
Old 22nd July 2014, 23:21   #87
BHPian

Thanks for your reply D4D.
I will be visiting the (1) owners place in a day or two. I look forward to have a good deal.
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go with the City AT top end. You get some great featured including a panaromic sun roof+ the Honda reliability. No two ways and this wins the contest hands down.
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt make any sense. Not because it has run 90K but because a lot of consumables are due for replacement:
1) Clutch and pressure plates
2) The Tyres
3) Battery
4) Electrical fuses
5) AC belts
6) Maybe timing belts

Avoid as Fiat spares are expensive.
Old 4th September 2014, 08:55   #90

Hello Friends,

I am considering whether to buy a new XUV500 W8 or a couple of 2012 W8 Models which have run about 40-50k quoting about 9.5lac to 10lacs. My main concerns are whether 2012 built cars are reliable, particularly the electronics and drive-ability. I have test driven an almost new W8 variant of the XUV500 at the dealership and am confused whether to pay nearly 5 lakh extra for a brand new XUV as compared to around 10lakhs for a pre-owned one.

Thanks,

Most Viewed