Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/17751-article-buying-new-car-vs-used-car-8.html)

Bingo! I was going to start same topic as I am in a similar situation with a budget of Rs 5 Lakhs and options for Used and New Car are open.

The car will be owned by my Dad who is a retired Defence guy with CSD facility. My family has two cars one is Santro and other is Nano. Both the cars are fantastic cars so far. With no maintenance issues. Recently our Santro crossed 15 years of owner ship and it has to be re registered. So the thought of buy a new car came in.

Somehow I convinced my dad to look for used car and then I looked for a Sedan and short listed Vento or Rapid petrol as the car in question will not be run more than 400 km per month. I really don't know whether I should look for diesel options!

Among the new cars with CSD facility I am thinking about Petrol Ertiga or Tata Zest. I don't like swift or swift desire and so they are out of the list.

So the final list for new cars:
1. Ertiga Petrol new (CSD)
2. Tata Zest Petrol (CSD or without CSD)
3. Honda Amaze Petrol (Incase of good discounts)
4. Accent Petrol (Incase of good discounts)

for Used Cars:
1. Vento Petrol (2012 and after)
2. Rapid Petrol (2012 and after)
3. Laura (2009 and after)

The only exception is that I have not driven a single cars from the above list. As the car wont be used daily I feel no need to go for test drives. The requirement is for a Highway car which can carry 5 people and a toddler with comfort on occasional drives.

Friends! I would to like get some options from you all which you feel are better for my requirement. Thankyou!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3988846)
Get yourself a Ritz ZXi or a Swift ZXi or even a WagonR VXi.

Yes, I am now inclined towards an old Swift ZXi, Ritz ZXi or a Honda Jazz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viju (Post 3988848)
This is what I would suggest. Small hatches don't get much more VFM than this. I really don't think you are going to have reliability or service related issues. It is probably the best engineered product from Tata yet.
Good luck. :thumbs up

Went to TATA dealer today and am getting the below deal. No discounts no nothing plus 6 - 10 weeks waiting time.

ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car-img_20160603_195831.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdst_1 (Post 3988880)
If you have money saved up in a FD, then that is the best option for a loan.

No money in FD man. That is what I need to save for otherwise I would have bought a Thar stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 3988884)
You can PM me if you want help finding a used car in good shape :)

Please do help me in finding a pre-owned clean car. I'll PM you right away.

I did went to a pre-owner car dealer and he had a Honda Jazz 2010 60k kms available for 4.75 asking price but he told he can get it for 4.25. I asked how many owners and he states single owner, I took the car number and did a vehicle search and got to know the it had 3 owners. That was it I no longer believed him on anything and went off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3988885)
I doubt you will get a preowned car loan at 7%. Even a new car loan is closer to 10%. Even if a dealer is offering, pretty sure there will be some hidden terms and conditions. So read the fine print carefully.

The Tiago is a very good option for your requirements and budget. Or if you can push it a little more, the grand i10, Figo are options worth looking at.

The dealer I went to told 80% funding for cars after 2006 at 9.5% from some Capital company. Did not inquire much.

Can't push the budget so looking like Tiago could be the only option. I have scheduled for a test drive tomorrow.

Hoping to get something better from your help guys.
Thanks to all.

So finally went with the Tiago Petrol top model. Started the process for car lease with my company but the car has a waiting period of 13 weeks, but the SA told he can try to get it within 4 weeks. So fingers crossed. :)

Hey everyone, I thought this might be the best place to seek advice on my predicament.

I recently bought a Wagon R AMT for wifey and drove it quite a bit in the past month or so. My daily drive is an SX4 Ddis which i have owned from the past 5 years. My official touring has also gone down a bit over the past year or so and my average annual running now comes to around 9-10K Kms, which really does not warrant for a diesel and its higher maintenance per se i assume.

Using the Wagon R AMT has made me lethargic and the terrible Delhi traffic does not help matters either. Turns out, now am bitten by the Automatic bug and wish to switch to a petrol automatic car sooner or later.

My choices are not too wide as wifey does not want anything SUVish. So sedan it will be. Choices basically are:

1. Ciaz With its not so impressive engine and TC.
2. Vento TSI with its iffy DSG & A$$.
3. Good ol Honda city with a rather decent engine & CVT.

Or i have some very good used car choices too:

1. Hyundai Elantra (2-3) yrs old, maybe 15-30K on the odo with all the bells and whistles.
2. Toyota Corolla Altis (3-5) yrs old, about 30-50K on the odo with the famed Toyota reliability and its T badge.

Heart says go for a good used Elantra / Corolla which should cost me about 12-13 Lakhs. Head says go for a new City / Vento which will be used as per my pleasing and requirements and avoid all the hassles that accompany a used car.

A typical Head vs Heart situation. What do you all suggest me on this quandary of mine :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigyy (Post 4035125)
Hey everyone, I thought this might be the best place to seek advice on my predicament.

My choices are not too wide as wifey does not want anything SUVish. So sedan it will be. Choices basically are:

1. Hyundai Elantra (2-3) yrs old, maybe 15-30K on the odo with all the bells and whistles.
2. Toyota Corolla Altis (3-5) yrs old, about 30-50K on the odo with the famed Toyota reliability and its T badge.

Hi.
I recommend a new Ciaz or City with CVT.

Elantra and Corolla are the D segment cars, a segment which is dying. Very soon, the current models may get discontinued. And these cars will be difficult to re-sell for you in future. Ciaz or City will be sold easily and quickly.

I expect City and Ciaz to give you hassle free ownership; better than Vento DSG.

The performance of Ciaz engine shall be adequate for normal driving in city and on highway unless you look for some spirited driving. Even with City, you will see the rubber band effect of the CVT. But both Ciaz and City shall be similar and adequate in terms of the performance.

If your running is less than 20000 km per year, you can consider Petrol Ciaz too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigyy (Post 4035125)

Heart says go for a good used Elantra / Corolla which should cost me about 12-13 Lakhs. Head says go for a new City / Vento which will be used as per my pleasing and requirements and avoid all the hassles that accompany a used car.

A typical Head vs Heart situation. What do you all suggest me on this quandary of mine :D.

Why spend so much? Used Vento automatics from 2012 to 2013 with under 50k mileage are easily available for as little as 4 to 5 lakhs.

I am not sure if something like this has been discussed here before, but I need guidance in deciding between a hardly run (<10k) 2014 Elantra or a new Verna.
Same: Both have the same engine (1.6 CRDi) & the S model of both would cost me about the same.
E>V: From the reviews, it seems the driving characteristics of elantra are much better than the verna - more planted & good suspension setup. Elantra is more feature-rich & looks oh so awesome.
V>E: It would be the first diesel & first ~10L car in the house, so everyone in the family would rather prefer a new car over an older one.
Heart says the Elantra but mind says the Verna is a much logical choice. The ultimate decision would be mine, so I need to be very sure. Am I missing something guys? Any of you going/gone thru the same conundrum? What influenced your decision one way or the other?

Hello Bhpians, need to seek advice from experts before I make a decision.

I am completing almost 5 years with my Ritz (Nov 2011) model petrol car. I am planning to sell it, hopefully for around 3 lacs. The upgrade I am looking for is, either a used Honda City (2010-11 model) or New Ford Aspire (Titanium) Diesel. I don't want to stretch much higher on the budget due to other financial needs. So after paying 3 lacs as downpayment for the next car, rest I am trying to get it financed through a small loan.

So my dilemma is, used City or new Aspire. My preferences are as below:
1. Effortless highway cruiser.
2. Decent mileage. (Fuel Efficiency)
3. Interior Space and Boot space.
4. Looks.
5. Lesser Maintenance.

The reason why I filtered down on the above two models is because, Honda City has an excellent petrol engine along with Honda's reliability while prices for Ford Aspire Diesel variant has come down by around 93,000 rupees which makes a very tempting buy.

Ritz is a nice car to drive in the city and served me very well during the last 5 years. However long journeys by this car are very exhaustive. (Have travelled Mum-Bangalore twice). Moreover, looking for more spacious car so I can carry more luggage. Hence looking for an upgrade. Please shower your advices based on which I can go for either of the above models. If you have any other cars to suggest, please do so and I can try to consider them too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satshan (Post 4048810)
Hello Bhpians, need to seek advice from experts before I make a decision.

The upgrade I am looking for is, either a used Honda City (2010-11 model) or New Ford Aspire (Titanium) Diesel.

In most cases I would suggest the car from the higher segment but in this case I would say go for the Ford Figo Aspire :thumbs up It is just vastly better built for high speed highway jaunts. IMO the City has a good rear seat and that 1.5 VTEC going for it but that's about it. The Ford is also more equipped, moreover Fords these days are not at all a hassle in terms of maintenance. Costs have dropped quite a bit. Another car you could look at is the new Ford Fiesta. It might be difficult to find one in the used market because it was a sales dud, but the car rides and handles impeccably, is built phenomenally well and is sure to keep you pleased in the years to come. It does look awkward from behind but still overall the nose looks beautiful to me and is definitely a car I would love to own.

As a complete googly, you can also consider the first generation SX4 sedan pre VVT 1.6 was not too fuel efficient but had loads of grunt and those batches had the best suspension setup for handling. The car is built better than most Marutis, has loads of grunt from the 1.6, handles well, has plenty of ground clearance, and most importantly, if you get 3 lakhs from the sale of your car, you wont have to spend much infact no need to even take out a loan on the car. You can instead spend money on having it restored to top shape or spend on add-ons like proper leather upholstery, ICE upgrade, HIDs etc. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 4048989)
Another car you could look at is the new Ford Fiesta. It might be difficult to find one in the used market because it was a sales dud, but the car rides and handles impeccably, is built phenomenally well and is sure to keep you pleased in the years to come. It does look awkward from behind but still overall the nose looks beautiful to me and is definitely a car I would love to own.

As a complete googly, you can also consider the first generation SX4 sedan pre VVT 1.6 was not too fuel efficient but had loads of grunt and those batches had the best suspension setup for handling.

Thank you so much IshaanIan for the detailed advice. Just to confirm, are you talking about the Ford Fiesta classic or the new Fiesta that was launched recently?
Also, I agree with you. SX4 nowadays are much cheaper (both petrol & Diesel variants). However my only concern is, this is a discontinued model by Maruti, hence may have some issues in the longer run with respect to spare parts.

I am going to keep my next car atleast for 4-5 years. So a used SX4 will have a very poor value when I go for its resale. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satshan (Post 4049160)
Also, I agree with you. SX4 nowadays are much cheaper (both petrol & Diesel variants). However my only concern is, this is a discontinued model by Maruti, hence may have some issues in the longer run with respect to spare parts.

Quoting from a trusted source, MSIL ensures that all spare parts of a car are available for a minimum of 10 years after the last car is produced. In fact, just recently someone I know managed to find spare parts for the Zen (Last produced in 2006).

So I suppose spare part availability should not be a concern for you.
Just to give you an idea, a colleague managed to source a 2010 Sx4 zxi with 40000 kms on the ODO for 2.8 lacs at Mahindra First Choice.
Good luck! :thumbs up

Quote:

Thank you so much IshaanIan for the detailed advice. Just to confirm, are you talking about the Ford Fiesta classic or the new Fiesta that was launched recently?

The new Fiesta.
Quote:

I am going to keep my next car atleast for 4-5 years. So a used SX4 will have a very poor value when I go for its resale. :)

A first generation, low run 1.6 SX4 will cost you in the region of 2-2.5 lakhs are you seriously going to complain about resale value when you have extra cash to spend on the car (you can even put in brand new suspension all round, have it detailed etc.) and still don't even need to take out another loan? ;) Spares will be available at least until 2024 and will remain cheap and trouble free in terms of ownership cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 4049382)
The new Fiesta.
A first generation, low run 1.6 SX4 will cost you in the region of 2-2.5 lakhs are you seriously going to complain about resale value when you have extra cash to spend on the car (you can even put in brand new suspension all round, have it detailed etc.) and still don't even need to take out another loan? ;) Spares will be available at least until 2024 and will remain cheap and trouble free in terms of ownership cost.

IshaanIan, you are right. A lesser clocked SX4 should be a nice all round buy. Spares should not be a problem either with Maruti's piece of mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathucider (Post 4049324)
Quoting from a trusted source, MSIL ensures that all spare parts of a car are available for a minimum of 10 years after the last car is produced. In fact, just recently someone I know managed to find spare parts for the Zen (Last produced in 2006).

So I suppose spare part availability should not be a concern for you.
Just to give you an idea, a colleague managed to source a 2010 Sx4 zxi with 40000 kms on the ODO for 2.8 lacs at Mahindra First Choice.
Good luck! :thumbs up

Thanks Deathucider, that's a great relief to know Maruti spares are available for 10 more years. Will surely consider SX4 as an option.

By the way, I am considering some trusted names in used car market such as Cartrade.com, truebil.com and Mahindra First Choice. Any other dealers you guys can suggest. I will be buying this car in Mumbai/Thane region.

Sorry, I did forgot to add. How about a used VW Vento (Diesel)? Have searched through some car selling websites and do see the Diesel models available at around 4.5 to 5 lacs which have already clocked at 45-55k kms. Should I be worrying about long term maintenance? The reason for a Vento Diesel is primary the Fuel efficiency is what I am also looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satshan (Post 4049599)
Any other dealers you guys can suggest. I will be buying this car in Mumbai/Thane region.

Why not check on line portals such as Olx, Quikr and our very own Team-BHP classified? This will do away with middle men and their share.