Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2016, 23:34   #121
BHPian

Hi Bhpians, I know this is not a used car price check thread but my questions is not entirely for a used car, so here it goes. A few days ago I came across a Mar 2014 manufactured AUG 2014 registered VW Jetta HL Tdi DSG, which has done 34 K on Odo, at one used car dealer in Andheri, Mumbai. Took it out for a TD and haven't been able to sleep properly since. The car was in fabulous condition and the sheer pleasure of DSG + paddle shifts + multilink suspension at rear + crisp handling blew me away totally. The dealer is asking 15.25 L for the car because it has most of the features similar to the outgoing Jetta. I feel 14 L is a fairly decent price and may be can stretch upto 14.5 L. Now, I have been meaning to upgrade from my i20 for almost a year honestly and have been test driving every new logical upgrade car launched in last 8-10 months. Inquisitively enough, I had enquired about the new rapid with a Skoda dealer and Rapid Style TDI DSG is costing 15.65 L on road Mumbai. Yesterday the dealer called me to check if I would be interested in a stock clearence sale for a 2015 Octavia Ambition TDI, the base model that is, for a huge 2.20 L discount, which effectively makes it 19.5 L on road. He is also offering me 2.75 L for my i20, which is by far the highest offered by any dealer. That is bringing my purchase value even down to a in my dreams only figure. Now Rapid is out and the I am considering used Jetta Vs old but unused Octavia. For me manual was always a first choice but DSG has spoilt me a bit and made me rethink (paddle shifters..aah). So is the Octavia a better bet or I should save a few lacs and stick to the Jetta. Phew.. sorry for the never ending post but your valuable inputs will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 27th December 2016, 17:53   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car

Ok So guys, I have been looking at a few new launches this year and one of those that impressed me has been Hexa. So much so, that I had been contemplating buying this car sometime around 2018 when the initial lot of niggles would have been sorted out.

Thats when I chanced upon the other thread (Not so obvious advantage of buying a used car) that directed me to this thread. I have been so enticed that by this idea now that I am seriously pondering why not I go the used car route and perhaps buy a car next year itself at a budget of half that I though I would spend for the Hexa (ie somehere around 10 Lakhs). Now going for a used car has its own risks, as you can never be 100% sure about the condition of the car. Hence I thought I will set aside a sum 0f 3-4 lakhs from my budget to get the car up to decent condition and as a buffer to take care of any surprises that might spring up.

Which means I am now looking at a used car for around 7 Lakhs.

I currently drive a Punto. This car will stay. The reason being, that I am an anomaly. One among the few who are imensly sattisfied with their Fiats. So Punto will be my primary car and the second car that I purchase will be used mainly for long trips and holidays and that takes us to my requirements.

1. It needs to have good Ground clearance. My Punto with its 185 cm Ground clearence at times scraps bottom on rough roads with a full load of passengers. The next car needs to better this. I should be able to hit the highway with a confidence that I can take most of what the roads (or absence of them) will throw at me. That means Sedans are out of consideration and we are left with Compact SUV's or full size ones.

2. I am not bothered too much with handling. Have a Punto for the fun days. But I have been spoiled by the Punto's ride. Hence the new car needs to ride very well so that I dont miss my Punto there.

3. ABS And Air bags mandatory.

4. Not too much bothered about the fuel. But looking at the tughlakhesque ways rules are made and changed in our country, I am afraid 10 year rule for diesel vehicles may soon be implemented across the country. My Punto is alread 3 years old. And I do not want to get stuck with two unsaleable cars in some years if the 10 year rule for diesel cars become a norm country wide. So that means only Petrol cars now? Would welcome insights here.

5. Car has to be significantly spacious that Punto. So that puts Ecosports and Brezzas out of the picture.

Keeping the above in view what look like the best options for me?

Honda CRV (Low mileage post 2010 ones will be above my budget?), Grand Vitara (do we still have low mileage ones in the market?), Safari and Storme (if I decide on diesel, plus is a used safari a safe bet?)?

What else? Would really appreciate some coments on my above thoughts by the Pros here experienced in buying used cars.
Old 1st January 2017, 21:22   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What else? Would really appreciate some coments on my above thoughts by the Pros here experienced in buying used cars.
I think you have done a good job by narrowing down your choice by putting decent constraints. I mean, literally while reading those conditions, I was striking off all the cars from the list. Co-incidentally, I am kinda in the same condition as your's. I am also smitten by the Hexa, but now used car market looks more alluring when you think of spending close to 2 million on a new car. Also, GTO has made cogent arguments about the pros and cons for a used car.

I can't think of anything else other than the Duster, for your conditions. Yeah, you said significantly spacious than Punto, but not sure if you want a 7 seater or 5.

Handles well, has a <2.0 liter diesel/petrol mill(thanks to our capricious govt) - very reliable too and has very good ride quality. Dual Airbags, etc.
You can find a good AWD(Diesel only) and have fun as well on an odd day.

I don't think you'll get a CRV in 7L, that too a post 2010 model unless there is something seriously wrong about the car (for a car which was 20+L on-road). About the Grand Vitara, a car that got discontinued 3+ years ago with less mileage will be rare.

What other car got left-out of contention? Not sure about the Safari since the opinions are highly polarized from the owners and fans. Service records will make things clear for the safari. IMO if the car has no nasty surprises for the past 3-4 years from the service records, then perhaps the safari is capable of doing more 3-4L kms, that's Tata for you.

I think a Duster/Terrano or if you are lucky a Creta(under 7L), are possible options since there are not many petrol SUVs around which can fit in that 7L budget with good reliability. The best part of these options is that they can be a daily driver as well if you think of selling off the Punto in the near future.

I think patience is the key and with a considerable time frame, a person can get the car of his choice in a used car market.
Old 1st January 2017, 22:45   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post

I can't think of anything else other than the Duster, for your conditions. Yeah, you said significantly spacious than Punto, but not sure if you want a 7 seater or 5.

Handles well, has a <2.0 liter diesel/petrol mill(thanks to our capricious govt) - very reliable too and has very good ride quality. Dual Airbags, etc.
You can find a good AWD(Diesel only) and have fun as well on an odd day.
Thanks.

Yeah Duster is a good option. Problem when I think of diesel, I can't seem to think beyond the Safari. The only other car that can get me beyond my Safari obsession is S Cross 1.6. Not sure if they ve started coming in the market yet. Then ofcourse is the fact that Punto will stay. So why not go for a full size one too.

BTW seen some CRVs for around 7-8 lakhs. Problem is that its a thirsty car and Honda wants to get it serviced every 6k kms or 6 months. Would be mighty heavy on the pocket.

Confusing times indeed. I guess I will give Duster/Terrano a thought too.
Old 1st January 2017, 23:55   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks.

Yeah Duster is a good option. Problem when I think of diesel, I can't seem to think beyond the Safari. The only other car that can get me beyond my Safari obsession is S Cross 1.6.

Confusing times indeed. I guess I will give Duster/Terrano a thought too.
C'mon, you just contradicted yourself. You are not looking for a diesel by speculating a probable ban, which is possible, on that later. And then you are fond of a safari with 2.0Lt + engine. It seems like you are a safari fan.

If you are going for a diesel, then there are many options. Right from an amazing Duster AWD to Innova and everything in between is awesome as well.

Secondly, the 3-4 L buffer you've kept as a security is a lot of money. If you do good research and get a reliable car from Toyota, Maruti or Renault then I think you can reduce that buffer to half, and look for a 9L car straightaway. What I mean is don't keep the 7L a ridgid upper bound. If the car is immaculate, then you can go for a 9.5L car, at that price you can find a great car.

About the diesel ban, nothing is for sure. Pune is a part of smart city programme. Also, it is nearing to a Tier-1 city. Pollution is a major problem as well. So if there is a ban based on categorizing cities on this basis, Pune will face the axe.
Now if the govt bans diesel vehicles altogether, for Cars older than 10years, and implement it successfully, they have to give a, say a buffer period. After which the ban might start. If they don't do it without a buffer period of 1/2/3 years to implement the ban, it will fail because many used car dealers/owners of such cars will have useless sitting ducks.

Conclusion: 10 yr old cars' diesel ban is bit unlikely in some 2-3 years. I think there will be stringent PUC amends, which is actually a realistic norm to check how much a car guzzles. However, ban on sale of new cars with 2.0L and more is more likely since it's an easy way to implement, although the logic is insane.
Govt will take a path of least resistance(from citizens) and more easy measure since it will be a first of a kind ban from NGT(if successful).
There will also be a possibility of an annual pollution tax from such vehicles, if not a ban.

If I want to buy a pre-owned car today, I won't hesitate buying any car which is less than 4-5 years old with a 2.0+ liter engine. In fact I'll bargain for a sweet deal based on premise of the uncertainty of a ban. After getting a good deal, I will use it for more 4-5 years and sell it off. In extremely worst case scenario, big 10+ yrs old cars will have market in Tier-2/3 cities and rural areas since the ban shouldn't create acres of scrapyards in every city.
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:11   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
Now if the govt bans diesel vehicles altogether, for Cars older than 10years, and implement it successfully, they have to give a, say a buffer period. After which the ban might start. If they don't do it without a buffer period of 1/2/3 years to implement the ban, it will fail because many used car dealers/owners of such cars will have useless sitting ducks.
Actually the ban is already there in NCR and no buffer period has been given.

Which Maruti other than a S Cross and Grand Vitara is an option?
Innova? Naaa.

Actually not just the Safari, I am a big fan of S cross in 1.6 litre guise. But I really doubt if they can be seen in the used car space yet.

As I see it the only options even considering diesels are Safari and Duster. Though I am not sure if Duster is spacious enough for my liking. I had checked it out before test driving S Cross 1.6 last year and I remember not being impressed by the rear bench space.

What other options? A Pajero maybe after increasing the budget a little bit?
Old 14th August 2019, 00:06   #127
BHPian

Bumping an Old thread for a new conversation:

I need advise from the distinguished members on buying a pre Owned Tata Hexa AT. The requirement is a 6- 7 seater family suv with AT. My family checked out all other options available in 15 to 18 L brackets, we finally zeroed on Tata Hexa AT.

After going through many posts and thread in TbHP forum, I realized that Tata HEXA AT is great Vehicle, I also realized that Pre worshiped Hexa AT will be great value for money if I were to get a vehicle 2- 3 year old and less than 30 K run. I intend to drive the vehicle for atleast 6 - 7 years.

A look around the Pre owned market convinced me that one can have a 2017 Model HExa AT with less than 30 K on Odo within a price of 12 -14 lacs in Blr.

While I am evaluating more options, I would request forum members to advise on :-

a> Is it worth to buy an Tata Hexa AT 2017 model with less than 30 K on Odo under 14 lacs?
b> What should I be concerned about while going for it - Maintenance cost, extended warranty, AT serviceability, any additional cost that I should factor?
c> Any other options that are worth evaluating (apart form XUV, Ford)- O saw a Pajero Sports of 2015 - 45 K AT at 18 lacs. Is it worth evaluating?
d> Any other factors that I should know, be careful of?

Thanks

Manish
Old 14th August 2019, 12:48   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
a> Is it worth to buy an Tata Hexa AT 2017 model with less than 30 K on Odo under 14 lacs?
b> What should I be concerned about while going for it - Maintenance cost, extended warranty, AT serviceability, any additional cost that I should factor?
c> Any other options that are worth evaluating (apart form XUV, Ford)- O saw a Pajero Sports of 2015 - 45 K AT at 18 lacs. Is it worth evaluating?
d> Any other factors that I should know, be careful of?
There is strong rumor that Tata is going to discontinue Hexa in favor of Harrier's 7-seater version named Tata Buzzard. As the entire auto market is under lot of pressure and with the entry of chinese auto-makers; it is very well possible that Tata may price it lower to galvanize the volumes. MG did surprise everyone with its price tag and Kia is likely to follow price undercutting. Please consider if you can delay the purchase by few months.
Old 14th August 2019, 13:20   #129

Hi,
I am confronted with a conundrum and need sincere advice on buying a used Urban Cross Abarth. Currently I am using a Figo(diesel) and quite satisfied with it however, it is getting old(9 yrs) as already cloaked 1 lac(no major issues whatsoever) .So i was looking for a replacement and came across this UC Abarth on OLX .Its a 2016 manufactured car and only 12k run.I test drove it and liked it very much.The owners quote is of 6 lacs.
My driving mostly involved city roads and once in a while on highways .I would like to know if i should go for it in current situation wherein there were rumors of fiat going out and poor after sales service.
My heart says yes but mind is confused whether it would be a wise decision to shell out 6 lacs on a used fiat or go for a new one!!
Old 23rd February 2020, 15:31   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhuonmail View Post
Hi,
I am confronted with a conundrum and need sincere advice on buying a used Urban Cross Abarth. Currently I am using a Figo(diesel) and quite satisfied with it however, it is getting old(9 yrs) as already cloaked 1 lac(no major issues whatsoever) .So i was looking for a replacement and came across this UC Abarth on OLX .Its a 2016 manufactured car and only 12k run.I test drove it and liked it very much.The owners quote is of 6 lacs.
My driving mostly involved city roads and once in a while on highways .I would like to know if i should go for it in current situation wherein there were rumors of fiat going out and poor after sales service.
My heart says yes but mind is confused whether it would be a wise decision to shell out 6 lacs on a used fiat or go for a new one!!

Fiat has closed (though officially not so) as they are no more selling these, so be aware of parts and servicing issues, if you have got a trustworthy mechanic then you may venture this path. The price is high and should be somewhere around 5L for this 3 year model.
Old 28th August 2020, 10:51   #131

Buying a used car in the US:

My opinion: US market is the only one where this depreciation of luxury SUVs is in favor of the discerning motor-heads. I feel even a luxury car out of warranty could be a good bet.

First, the con: The higher repair cost will be out of pocket since the car is out of warranty. I think the additional maintenance expense is economical if you are spending less than $ 2500 per year (Approx depreciation on a $20k Toyota) in addition to the cost of the engine oil change and regular service items.

You need to ensure you avoid getting a lemon. Have a good mechanic do a thorough 100 pt inspection. Check the Carfax report. It is best if the previous owner did regular service or oilchange at an authorized service center.

Now for the Pro: US depreciation rate for cars, especially german luxury cars, are the steepest in the world (going by Kelley Blue book values). To hazard a guess, I feel this is due to a large number of car models being available, the small population relative to automotive stockpile, and the affluent local population not inclined towards the used car market

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Regular product launches, frequent model updates and easy access to financing have created an abundance of used cars in the Indian automotive market. We have seen some tempting propositions that would be better described as “pre-worshipped” rather than "pre-owned". Product quality in this market is much higher than ever before and a good find will offer incredible value for your money.

Team-BHP has studied the pros and cons of buying a pre-owned car and now shows you why it’s worth a second look..
Old 17th September 2020, 11:11   #132
BHPian

Preowned Skoda Rapid DSG or new Rapid TSI AT ?

Hello Team-BHPians,
Need your advise on my car buying decision.

I currently own Honda Jazz V MT (2016) and am quite satisfied with it as an overall car except the dismal low end torque. Now, I am thinking of changing my car which is more fun to drive, having enough safety equipment, comfortable seats 4 and occasionally 5 and does not scrape the ground on speed bumpers. At the moment, I don’t want to spend anything more than 12-13 lakhs on road. I am thinking of keeping this car for 3-4 years and then later upgrade to an SUV

I have narrowed down 2 options:

1.Buy preowned Skoda Rapid TDI DSG (2017 and above) model. These are quoting around 8.5 to 9.5 Lakhs in Bangalore. I assume these prices will be slightly negotiable.
2.Think of buying new Rapid 2020 TSI AT. I think I will get a mid variant around 12 Lakhs

Request your expert advise and advantages / dis-advantages of my options.
Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 07:47   #133
BHPian

Currently own Alto (Primarily used for city).

Recently i'm having a lot of interstate and intrastate travel and Alto is not at all safe for highway.

Requirement - Spacious/comfortable/safety/Easy to maintain/Spares availability.
A Proper Sedan or a Full SUV.
Usage - Only Highways / Once in a month
Members - 3 adults
Boot space - Space to carry 3 medium size trolley and bags
Budget - 4 Lakhs.
Fuel - Not an issue (Can be petrol/Diesel)

I have narrowed down the below in the pre-owned segment,

SUV - Scorpio/Xylo/Safari
Sedan - Civic/Accord/Elentra

Share your thoughts please..
Old 30th September 2020, 08:21   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

If it is a UV, go with an Innova (2009-15) or a Safari Storme 2015 or later.

Else go with a Corolla Altis 2008-11; the 1ZZFE engine is fuel efficient, reliable and the car holds up very well with time if properly maintained.

Accord is a great choice but the 2008 and later models don't hold up as well as, say, a 2007. The upholstery in particular just disintegrates.

Last edited by vigsom : 30th September 2020 at 08:23.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:26   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Usage - Only Highways / Once in a month
Members - 3 adults
Boot space - Space to carry 3 medium size trolley and bags
Budget - 4 Lakhs.
Fuel - Not an issue (Can be petrol/Diesel)

I have narrowed down the below in the pre-owned segment,

SUV - Scorpio/Xylo/Safari
Sedan - Civic/Accord/Elentra

Share your thoughts please..
In your budget you could also look at a Gen 3 Honda City (2009-2014). That is a gem of an engine and they go for a stupidly cheap price for what it is. Look around and there are a number on sale with comparatively low mileage on the clock. My Dad’s 2009 gives 16-17 kmpl on the highway and he cruises at 100-120 all day. Super easy to drive in city too - superb turning radius. And service costs are idiotically low. Lower than the Alto even (I’m not kidding - it costs some 3500 bucks for a service tops). Superb to drive and slightly higher slung than the Civic. Certainly narrower. And usually better maintained as I’ve seen. Most Civics that I’ve come across have been modded or abused in some form and are usually on their 2nd to 3rd owner. No contest on the fuel efficiency either. Fwiw, the 2010/11 versions have slightly better ground clearance than the 2008/09 but that can be easily addressed by swapping the bushes or adding a nice little aftermarket suspension kit.

Just a thought.
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks