Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2022, 05:49   #151
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car

Hello everyone ,
I was wondering does year of manufacturing have a negative impact on the resale value of car?
I am thinking of buying the LR Defender in January 2023 with a 2022 manufactured car .
I plan to sell the car in 3 yaers .
As there are no discounts should I wait till April 2023 for new MF year?
Old 15th October 2022, 19:43   #152

Hello Everyone,
My sincere apologies to the moderators if this is a wrong place to post this thread. I am from Mumbai and the owner of a Honda Amaze 1st Generation model which has the registration of December 2015. I brought it used in March 2021 and it was in a good condition then. It still is. I have retro fitted it with a Lovato CNG kit and its serving me well. I purchased the car when it had 64k in the odo. Now the reading has crossed 86k. I had a few questions for the experts here.
Should i keep the car till its 15 year period? Its niggle free otherwise but the NVH levels and the tire and floor noise do trouble me. Also its not got the best safety features as such. My driving is within Mumbai and a few outstation trips in a year (2-3). Daily commute from home to office and back is 30kms. Sometimes I do travel longer distances over the weekend.
I have got an itch to upgrade it to at least a 1.5L engine and I am looking to upgrade to a Toyota Yaris CVT from the used market. Its available in a price range of 8L to 9.5L from 2018 to 2020 registered cars.
Is the Yaris a reliable car and since it's out of production now is it advisable to buy it now?
I am going to get CNG fitted on it also, so does it make sense to be fitting CNG at the current price of the fuel?
Will the spares be available for the car if i do keep it for a period of 8-10 years?
Another thought that I had is of going the EV way with the Tiago, but since I stay in a Government accommodation in an apartment on the first floor, I don't know if I can have the charging facilities available at home.

Please advise. Thanking you in anticipation.
Old 20th April 2023, 21:58   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We have seen some tempting propositions that would be better described as “pre-worshipped” rather than "pre-owned". Product quality in this market is much higher than ever before and a good find will offer incredible value for your money.
Reading this 2006 article in 2023, most points are still valid. On the Pros side, cars are even more reliable now. And newer cars compromised on build quality, makes pre-owned more attractive.
Old 1st June 2023, 02:55   #154

Hello esteemed members of Team-BHP,

I hope this message finds you all in high spirits. I am thrilled to be part of this passionate community and excited to seek your expert advice. I find myself at a crossroads, and I humbly request your guidance in making the best decision between two enticing options: a used 2018-2019 Audi A4 and the Virtus 1.5.

Here are the details to help you provide valuable insights:

Price: The Audi A4 from 2018-2019 comes with a significantly higher price tag compared to the Virtus. I am keen to know at what price point the Audi truly justifies the premium over the Virtus.

Interiors: The Audi boasts some drool-worthy interiors that exude luxury. It offers a whisper-quiet drive, heavenly lumbar support, and those satisfying physical AC buttons. On the other hand, the Virtus promises a sportier drive but falls slightly short on cabin noise and interior quality. My admiration for the Audi brand might be influencing my judgment here, but I'd love to hear your insights.

Test Drive Impressions: During my recent test drive, I found the 1.4 engine variant of the Audi A4 to be quite satisfactory. It met my expectations and left me with a smile on my face. However, I am eager to learn about any long-term experiences and potential issues related to this particular engine option.

Warranty: While the Audi comes with a 1-2 year warranty, the Virtus offers a more generous 3-4 year warranty. Considering I plan to keep the car for approximately 3-4 years, the warranty discrepancy raises concerns about maintenance costs and potential issues specific to each vehicle.

With these factors in mind, I kindly request your esteemed advice on the following:

Price Comparison: Based on your vast experiences and knowledge, could you provide insights on the price point at which the 2018-2019 Audi A4 becomes a compelling choice over the Virtus 1.5? I am eager to understand the optimal balance between value and investment.

Maintenance and Gotchas: Any maintenance nightmares or gotchas that I should be aware of for both the Audi A4 and the Virtus? I don't want any nasty surprises down the road, so please share any common problems during ownership.

Feel free to ask any additional questions that will help you understand my needs better. Your expertise and firsthand experiences will be invaluable in helping me make this crucial decision.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your valuable advice and insights.

Warm regards,
Madki
Old 21st August 2023, 17:09   #155

Quote:
Maintenance and Gotchas: Any maintenance nightmares or gotchas that I should be aware of for both the Audi A4 and the Virtus? I don't want any nasty surprises down the road, so please share any common problems during ownership
As long as it is under warranty, it should not be an issue. However, the real game begins when it is not.
I own a 2021 A4 (petrol)however, be prepared for some not so pleasant surprises if something goes wrong.
Just to give you an idea- I had an issue with a Tyre last year and its a Hankook.
I wanted the same make and model to be in sync with other Tyres and couldn't find it anywhere as Hankook checked-out from India, it seems. I escalated to Audi, contacted Mr. Dhillon as well on Instagram and got a callback from Audi ASS stating that they can get the Tyre from Germany, but it will cost me 45k. Imagine I could get a pair of those from any other brand for that price.
If you are prepared for something like this (which is a sheer bad luck though) go for it. Nothing beats the smooth driving, comfort and the attention you get.
But if its already a financial stretch and you really want to play safe, go for Virtus, take the extended warranty and the maximum annual maintenance tenure and sleep tight.
All the best !
Old 4th October 2023, 16:53   #156

Hi there fellow members,

My first post over here and seeking the advice of the experts.

Let me just give a brief background about my car and the set up

2017 – Got a VX CVT
2017-2020 – no actual issues with the vehicle
• Loved the way the vehicle sits on the road and the comfort level both in the City and highway
• Changed 1 Set of Brake pads
• Had to change the ICE as it stopped working suddenly one fine day. Wanted to have an audio upgrade too however was not sure about warranty getting void, got the Stock ICE replaced under warranty. hence decided to wait for the 5 Year period to end.
2021 – Clocked 60k+ km, changed to new set of tires. Upgraded to Michelins Primacy 4ST 195’s
2021 – the itch of the audio system upgraded was more, did a little bit of research on Team BHP. Finally settled for an after-market Chinese HU, even though the shop guy advised not to go for Chinese, and try pioneer.
2023- have clocked 95K on odo, now im thinking that its time that I get a new car.

Tested the following: city, Virtus, Slavia and Verna.

In a fix if I should get a new car or try for a second hand luxury. Can stretch the budget max to 45. However im only interested in a sedan, and there are currently no sedans in 25-30 Bracket.

Want to know expert opinion of folks here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th December 2023, 13:28   #157

Hello Everyone,
My sincere apologies to the moderators if this is a wrong place to post this thread. I am from Mumbai and the owner of a Honda Amaze 1st Generation model which has the registration of December 2015. I brought it used in March 2021 and it was in a good condition then. It still is. I have retro fitted it with a Lovato CNG kit and its serving me well. I purchased the car when it had 64k in the odo. Now the reading has crossed 1 Lakh kilometres.
I had a few questions for the experts here.

1) I am looking to upgrade my car now, again from the used market. I am looking at either the BRV CVT or a Brezza Automatic. (I am not sure whether the Brezza came with a pure automatic transmission in it's Diesel or Petrol Avatar- please enlighten me on this)

2) What should be the mileage of the used cars on both these models? I am looking to fit a CNG in both the cars-petrol versions, however I am open to buying the Diesel Brezza if it would be available with a proper Automatic transmission.

3) Will the spares be available for the BRV , since it has been discontinued in India?

Old 18th December 2023, 11:25   #158
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaarandsaraf View Post
1) I am looking to upgrade my car now, again from the used market. I am looking at either the BRV CVT or a Brezza Automatic. (I am not sure whether the Brezza came with a pure automatic transmission in it's Diesel or Petrol Avatar- please enlighten me on this)

The Brezza was a diesel-only model till March 2020, From April 2020, when the BS6 norms kicked in, the Brezza became petrol-only and has remained the same since. The Diesel Brezza came with a 1248cc DDiS engine churning out 89 bhp of power and 200 nm of torque mated to a 5-speed AMT, whereas the Petrol Brezza came with a K15B 1.5L engine producing 103 bhp of power and 138 nm of torque mated to a 4-speed Torque Converter Automatic up until the facelift launch in 2022, after which it came with a K15C 1.5L engine producing 102 bhp of power and 136.8 nm of torque mated to a 6-speed Torque converter automatic.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed