Team-BHP - The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/182304-not-so-obvious-advantages-buying-pre-owned-cars-3.html)

1 query...
How do fellow BHPIANS rate a 2nd hand car used as Test ride car for a showroom?
Being sold as a car of the director of the dealership as well as a test ride car?

Thanks for the wonderful thread GTO. I really, really needed it as I myself never had the courage to face the fact that there were no cars on sale in my budget that were enjoyable day in and day out. I gave up after a 8/9 month search while never trying / checking a single pre owned car. Drove everything below 8L and some above but nothing was exciting. All about the mileage and "comfort". But you're absolutely right about the fact that if majority is after that, some products will be appreciated far less in the mass market which ends up being a sweet deal for enthusiasts looking for them.

Few days ago after settling on the brio (something that was atleast mildly engaging) I fell severely ill the same day so wasn't able to follow up on that. I guess it was for the better. :D

Wow this is certainly an eye opener and a complete logical aspect of Used Car. I couldn't agree more with all of your points Sir.

The only question that remains is from where to get genuine second hand cars.

1. Mahindra First Choice or Maruti True Value ?
2. The local dealers are known for reversing the odometer so that they can sell it at a higher price for their own profit.
3. Even the individuals they look for dealer to sell their second hand car (mostly).

I know there is a complete thread for purchasing second hand cars, but I am just pointing out few things which are there in every second hand car purchaser.

Having bought 3 used cars / 2 used bikes in past i can guarantee 100% its mostly the way to go for anyone who prefers to change vehicles within 2-3 years span

Few things that I usually look for while buying used car,

1. Always buy Top-End version
2. Preferred 1-3 year old car (Most of them are in company warranty)
3. Look for cars with low ODO readings backed by company record
4. Avoid Non-Local registration as much as possible

Few example from my side,

2011 - SX4 ZXI

Bought in 2012 with 17K on ODO at 4.60 L (Remember Petrol was at peak this time so got a good deal)

Sold the same in 2014 at 3.75 L with 28K on ODO

2012 - XUV W8

Bought in 2014 with 23K on ODO and within company warranty for 11.60 L

Currently it has done 55K on ODO and recently was offered 7.5 L for it while inquiring for new car

The way I look at it I get more car for less money in used car

Same cannot be said in case of New Vehicles for eg,

Bought new 2013 Ninja 300 at sticker of 4L and sold the same in 2015 with 8K on ODO at 2.75 L

On other hand picked up used 2012 Ninja 650 at 3.30L in 2015 and sold the same within 6 Months at 3.40L since I couldn't ride due to injury (I got to use fine motorcycle for 6 months and money spent on new tire also came to me while selling it)

The key is to keep patience for right deal and not to rush-in for the first car that you see

Quote:

Originally Posted by viraj_s85 (Post 4105195)
Having bought 3 used cars / 2 used bikes in past i can guarantee 100% its mostly the way to go for anyone who prefers to change vehicles within 2-3 years span

An excellent thread indeed.

I will be grateful if you please share recommended ways to look for good used cars. Is it Truevalue or OLX or local used car sellers?

I have been looking for a low-run manual diesel Jetta for sometime with a cost of around 10 lakhs. No luck yet. So, would like to learn from experienced people.

I have bought 7 used cars so far and I prefer to buy cars listed by individual on olx, quikr, carwale, cartrade, car dekho.

This process is tedious but you get best deals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sups (Post 4105257)
An excellent thread indeed.

I will be grateful if you please share recommended ways to look for good used cars. Is it Truevalue or OLX or local used car sellers?

I have been looking for a low-run manual diesel Jetta for sometime with a cost of around 10 lakhs. No luck yet. So, would like to learn from experienced people.

True Value / First Choice / Honda Terrace type dealers often list on OLX as well so the intersection is rather larger than you think.

Also regardless of whether it is a car dealer's 2nd hand division, an independent large 2nd hand dealer like TS Mahalingam & Sons in Chennai or a park and sell type guy, they will all dress up the car with polishing / interior cleaning etc, but leave really major stuff that might need attention well alone.

Get the car inspected by a trusted mechanic regardless of where you buy it from. You will find it well worth the money you pay the mechanic as an assessor's fee - plus if possible get some of the repairs done from him if it is an older car that you've bought. He will generally also spot signs of odometer tampering.

For example, I bought a 2009 i10 with 64k on the clock, spent 25k on general service + reverse parking sensor + some new sunfilm. It was a basically sound vehicle and rides like a much newer vehicle now after some tender loving care. This was from a park and sell broker type, after looking at and rejecting several cars from various 2nd hand stock yards.

I have a little different view:

Lets say, we talk top-down.

One has a budget of 5L. Now for same 5L, he can get very new hatch, or little old hatch-with-boot or little more old sedan or little more old people mover!

One has a budget of 9L. He can get high-end hatch, or very new sedan or even SUV like Yeti or Pajero or Innova!

If you "know" your car, its not an issue buying 8yrs+ old car. IMO, one should reduce from your buying budget 10% for <3L, 7% for 3-5L, 5% for 5- for surprises even after you check everything in car for 1st year.

Yes, very new to old has many pro and cons. If you are OK to spend 50-100% more than usual service, you can get LOT MORE for your money! Also when you sell depreciation is very minimal.

With higher car segment, you get better safety, performance, features, space, etc.

There is a lot of discussions on used Jetta's. This is one car I have always been inclined to and GTO just did his thing and now i'm sold.
I See a lot of used Jetta's on OLX Bangalore these days. Any pointers on which manufacturing year I can look at to avoid any heartache in the future? There are plenty of 2008/2009 Jettas going for pretty decent deals.
Experts, some help please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajica (Post 4105065)
1 query...
How do fellow BHPIANS rate a 2nd hand car used as Test ride car for a showroom?
Being sold as a car of the director of the dealership as well as a test ride car?

I myself bought one chevy beat, which was registered in the name of dealership. 2010 model, purchased in 2012 with 23000 KM on the clock. Battery went dead after 3 months, had to replace. So far, car is in fairly good condition. Expenses so far - one battery change, 4 tyres, front suspension assembly and rear shockers, clutch assembly change. That is it.

Pretty happy with my purchase. Bought it at 2.5 Lakhs (top model) with few minor scratches and slight rear bumper misalignment. Myself being a new driver at that time, it suited me well with no major problems till now. Still rides close to new, has hydraulic steering, auto climate control and piano black finished interiors (newer models miss ACC, have electric power steering and brushed silver inserts now).

But there is one question that always bothers me with used diesel's. I am on the lookout for a used outgoing Endy or a Pajero. What with the ban on diesels over 10 yrs old?

What if I pick up a 5-8 yr old model? What happens when the car touches the 10 yr mark? I know this law is not yet applicable in Mumbai, but what if?

Overall a very essential thread.

I would always advocate for a used car over a new one. I own a used M800 and a Honda Civic (recent buy) and both are serving me just fine.

Suggestion would be, an automobile literate can go for a used car anytime and a novice for a new one just to avoid surprises from a used one.

Some pics of my recent buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni (Post 4104805)
I am truely impressed by your comments and has triggered my mind again to think on preferring a good used car having factory warranty + extended.

I bought a 2010 Jetta Highline last year which had run just 35k. After regular service and new tyres on day 1, it was good as new. My runs are typically long distance and hence the need to have a safe, solid and reliable car. The Jetta has not disappointed one bit. Its fantastic value for the money, it also returns a higher average than the car it exchanged, a used Swift Dzire (D)!

The services are done at FNG's and has not been that bad. Expect ~10k-15K per service. That's once every 15K kms. It's a sweet deal if you find the right car.

Cheers
-Abi

Thanks GTO for this thread

Totally agree on the logic of buying a used car. If we clearly understand and thought about what we are doing and pick the right one, this is the best value. Leaving aside my migration story from Mahindra Thar, I bought a 2013 October XUV500 W8, 34Kms for 10L which tick marked all my requirements for a long distance tourer for a family, SUVish, fantastic engine and all the safety features one can think off.

I extended the warranty to another 2 years and also got a zero dep insurance cover done. Got the interiors cleaned at 3M and did a machine waxing myself and the car looks fantastic in white.

If i had made a decision to go in for a new one at that budget, i would have probably got a sedan like Amaze, Dzire or something in that range which I did not want.

Swami

Since there is a subtle discussion on Used Car loans also going on here, I accidentally stumbled upon an NBFC, TVSCredit.co.in which provides loans for used cars, bikes, autos and tractors.
I filled in an online form and they promptly called me. I was quoted an interest rate between 7.0 to 9.1% based on the car/age/loan amount.

Has anyone here used these services or reason out why the interest rates are much lower than what banks offer.

I was almost sold on the offer but the deal sounds too good to be true.