Team-BHP - The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/182304-not-so-obvious-advantages-buying-pre-owned-cars-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by viraj_s85 (Post 4106591)
Yes apart from regular documents you would require NOC which is not a big hassle specially if you buy car from dealers, Since its interstate transfer I recommend retain registration number and don't think about getting MH-12 MH-14 plates

**Intra state** = within MH

It'd be interstate if he moved it between states (bought in Mumbai and transferred it over to Ahmedabad RTO, for example)

Far tougher - pay fresh life tax, surrender old RC, get new RC with new plates etc.

NOC of any kind requires a police certificate that the car is not under any theft, superdari etc cases and quite often the rules in several cities say you have to appear personally at the concerned police commissioner's office / crime records bureau etc to get the certificate. So as I said earlier if you retain the same number & hopefully get it registered at the same RTO, with a Mumbai address, you'll find it easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4106594)
**Intra state** = within MH

It'd be interstate if he moved it between states (bought in Mumbai and transferred it over to Ahmedabad RTO, for example)

Far tougher - pay fresh life tax, surrender old RC, get new RC with new plates etc.

NOC of any kind requires a police certificate that the car is not under any theft, superdari etc cases and quite often the rules in several cities say you have to appear personally at the concerned police commissioner's office / crime records bureau etc to get the certificate. So as I said earlier if you retain the same number & hopefully get it registered at the same RTO, with a Mumbai address, you'll find it easier.

My bad I meant Intra-State only,

Maharashtra RTO requires,Having said that in my past experience agents usually take care of the transfer depending on RTO offices it usually ranges between 4K-7K

Cars depreciate much more in UK than they do in India, and what I perceived as high second-hand prices somewhat put me off the idea.

However, when it came to replacing a Chennai-flooded car, at a time when I hadn't even been dreaming of having the budget for a new car, there was only one way to get a vehicle I really wanted. So... I had to inject three lakh over the insurance settlement, for a 2-yr-old, in warranty, top-of-the-range Polo (actually, a substantial upgrade from my previous 4-yr-old).

Whereas I might have paid a little over the market price, I still paid substantially less than the same model, on the road, new. And, intending to keep the car for a long time, that is the comparison I prefer to make :)

Hey. it was that or a new i10! And I have no doubts about which car would have made me happier. The showroom Polo GT simply was way off the screen for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibbs (Post 4106505)
EDIT: Any idea which would be a safe SUV to scout for in the used market for around 12 Lakhs?

A top end XUV of recent vintage is one possibility, specially since most niggles got sorted in the facelift. At 12 Lakh for used, I'm sure Safari/Scorp are anyway out of contention. Maybe a Pajero sport too, though would be very hard to find one.

My dream car in this budget though would be a first gen Fortuner will less running. Most people never use the T Fort as intended, and so a single owner one with known history would be a fantastic deal, if you are the type who cares about mechanicals more than the shape of headlights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4106195)

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Testdrive car = 500 people have driven it without caring about it.

But for a car that is not much popular, from a showroom which is not in a big city (means - very few people actually coming for a test drive), this may not be as bad as 500 people. Also, showroom cars (whether test drive ones or display ones) are excellently well maintained by the showroom (afterall, perspective buyers will decide for or against buying from their experience with these cars).

Of course, one still have to thoroughly check the car before buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator (Post 4106730)
But for a car that is not much popular, from a showroom which is not in a big city (means - very few people actually coming for a test drive), this may not be as bad as 500 people. Also, showroom cars (whether test drive ones or display ones) are excellently well maintained by the showroom (afterall, perspective buyers will decide for or against buying from their experience with these cars).

Of course, one still have to thoroughly check the car before buying.

Showroom cars used for test drive generally end up with burnt clutches, dings, repaints etc within the first several months.

Also gets used as a personal joyride by showroom employees, tow vehicle if their regular tow truck is elsewhere, etc etc.

After which some minor patchup gets done and it gets sold at a small discount entirely out of proportion to the pain it will cause you later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4106837)
Showroom cars used for test drive generally end up with burnt clutches, dings, repaints etc within the first several months.

Also gets used as a personal joyride by showroom employees, tow vehicle if their regular tow truck is elsewhere, etc etc.

After which some minor patchup gets done and it gets sold at a small discount entirely out of proportion to the pain it will cause you later.

I have one such car with me. Although what you said is correct, and a novice buyer should stay away from such cars, but it is not always the case. My car is not having any major problem, i bought it at 23000km and had to replace clutch assembly at 71000 KM only. Can't blame it on showroom.

My point is - one has to check the vehicle thoroughly before buying a 2nd hand car, regardless of whether it is a test drive car from a showroom or a dealer sold car or an individual driven car. If car is good, doesn't matter.

Audi even advertise for selling such cars in newspapers (I think BMW too). It comes with a healthy discount, and usually if you are buying directly from showroom, they will give you few services free too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator (Post 4106840)
I have one such car with me. Although what you said is correct, and a novice buyer should stay away from such cars, but it is not always the case. My car is not having any major problem, i bought it at 23000km and had to replace clutch assembly at 71000 KM only. Can't blame it on showroom.

My point is - one has to check the vehicle thoroughly before buying a 2nd hand car, regardless of whether it is a test drive car from a showroom or a dealer sold car or an individual driven car. If car is good, doesn't matter.

Audi even advertise for selling such cars in newspapers (I think BMW too). It comes with a healthy discount, and usually if you are buying directly from showroom, they will give you few services free too.

What you have mentioned is absolutely correct. But nevertheless buying a vehicle driven by 1-2 people and that by hundreds can have potential pitfalls which even the best of inspections might not reveal.

Besides, I know that getting my car checked at the service center would help if used by a regular joe, but how can I have confidence in their inspection when it's essential these chaps who are trying to sell me? Independent inspection again would be a little problematic since the people trying to cover any pitfalls are themselves experts. I'm guessing you have good relations with the people you got yours from?

I guess it boils down to the way we approach a vehicle. Considering it as a simple sum of various parts nullifies my argument since then everything can be diagnosed by proper inspection. But I reckon some of us consider a vehicle to be more than that, and frankly no inspection reports can convince me that a vehicle pretty much abused by potentially hundreds will work well for the next few years, especially with the electronics involved these days.

Even if used by a single person and kept well, and after you have done all checks, at some point in the decision making one has to take a leap of faith. All I'm saying is based on my experience, I can never see myself taking that leap for a test driven car :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4106629)
Whereas I might have paid a little over the market price, I still paid substantially less than the same model, on the road, new. And, intending to keep the car for a long time, that is the comparison I prefer to make :)

That's a very valid and often overlooked point. As GTO said, the best deals are on 2-3 year old ones. But the sellers also know they are parting with something as good as new, and your final agreed upon price might not be in sync with what others might have suggested.

This however should not deter one from going ahead if the intention is to keep it for around 5 years. I have noticed various BHPians pick up pristine cars and bikes and the price they mentioned is on the higher side than the common perception, but that's how it will be and any sensible buyer should make peace with this fact. And like Thad said, it's still a steal compared to new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avisidhu (Post 4106900)
What you have mentioned is absolutely correct. But nevertheless buying a vehicle driven by 1-2 people and that by hundreds can have potential pitfalls which even the best of inspections might not reveal.

I'm guessing you have good relations with the people you got yours from?

Not the least. I was lucky to be knowing nothing about cars, going ahead to purchase a test drive car through an unknown person and end up being thoroughly satisfied. Hence the positivity. On the other hand, one of my friend bought an almost new car, single handed driven for 15000 KM only, with no dents and absolutely pristine looking. He is struggling to keep the car up and running (he was the one whom I took with me while buying my car as I was not a confident driver myself back then).

Point is - you never know. But yes, it is safe to stay away from such cars. But then, it is safer to buy a new car. This thread is about taking calculated risks by buying second hand cars to reap long term rewards, isn't it?

Apologies to deviate here, but Has anyone tried changing ownership in company records for an used car? I am missing all notifications which company is issuing for the car owner :Frustrati. I have recently bought a 2013 VW vento tdi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 4104552)
I bought a Safari 3.0 Dicor 4x4 for 2L. It had alloys but had black bumpers. I spent 30K to paint the bumpers, few touch ups on the body, repainting the alloys and interior + exterior cleaning/polish. The interiors were really, really filthy as the owners used to carry his dogs in it.
Total Cost: Rs. 2.3 L
Sold after 3 months for Rs. 3.5 L

Profit 1.2 L

Did you change the ownership in this 3 months duration? Also, was the intention only to sell it off for a profit?

Excellent Thread GTO!
Agree with all the points; however the only glitch I found with used cars(from my experience) is the touch-ups, accidental history and odometer tampering.
However all these can be checked with a visit to the company showroom. But there are some car companies service centers who don't have a centralized database for all cars!

Once the above things are sorted, you're set.

Anyways, I'll always be a used-car fan and I've proudly influenced this to lot of my friends in Pune TBhP :D. Lets see whats in store for me once i come back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by avisidhu (Post 4106630)
A top end XUV of recent vintage is one possibility, specially since most niggles got sorted in the facelift. At 12 Lakh for used, I'm sure Safari/Scorp are anyway out of contention. Maybe a Pajero sport too, though would be very hard to find one.

My dream car in this budget though would be a first gen Fortuner will less running. Most people never use the T Fort as intended, and so a single owner one with known history would be a fantastic deal, if you are the type who cares about mechanicals more than the shape of headlights.

Not sure of the fortuner. Saw some listings in carwale and most asking 12-15 lakhs had more than a lakh on the ODO.

Actually safari and Scorpio are also good options as they will be available for lesser money. But is it safe going for these in the used market. Specially the Safari? I am worried about the longevity aspects of these cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibbs (Post 4107282)
Not sure of the fortuner. Saw some listings in carwale and most asking 12-15 lakhs had more than a lakh on the ODO.

Actually safari and Scorpio are also good options as they will be available for lesser money. But is it safe going for these in the used market. Specially the Safari? I am worried about the longevity aspects of these cars.

No experience with the Scorp but reliability wise it carries a great reputation so don't think you need to worry about that. The Safari on the other hand, I've used extensively. For the Dicor, vehicles manufactured post second half of 2011 had a huge list of niggles sorted. Pretty much everything I'd say, including the clutch which is quite light comparatively. This was the time when Karl Slym had just about started working his magic.

I drove a 2009 Dicor once, and the difference in quality compared to the 2012 one I had was astounding. For the 4 years and 40K KMs I used the Dicor, not even a single issue whatsoever. These are available for a song (below 6 lakh I'd say), and I think are the absolute best value for money SUVs one can pick up today.

But with your budget, you can easily target the Storme Varicor 400 which improved on the first iteration of the Storme. Look around on the forum and you'll find existing customers who can help with specific queries. The feedback so far looks extremely positive.

The fact is that both Safari and Scorp are now fairly mature products and no where close to their former iterations, from where the reputation and perception flows. If you can find a well kept one, either of these should be a trouble free experience :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoop.nair (Post 4107058)
Apologies to deviate here, but Has anyone tried changing ownership in company records for an used car? I am missing all notifications which company is issuing for the car owner :Frustrati. I have recently bought a 2013 VW vento tdi.

This is a simple process, just visit your local VW dealer and submit a copy of your RC book which clearly mentions the new owner's name. Address, Email ID and contact numbers can be changed once the new owner's name has been entered in their records.
Hope this helps.