Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2016, 14:23   #76
BHPian

Re: The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars

Just the right guide to buy used cars. I am myself a driving enthusiast and have a taste for old cars which gives the feel of heavy steering . Well it would had been better if the admins had included some genuine websites, seconds showrooms addresses preferably for Bangalore so that i would help buyers about genuine sellers. There is always a chance of cheat with second hand selling.Just a thought !!
Old 10th December 2016, 19:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
I mostly look on OLX and Carwale but sometimes actually spending time going through used car malls also helps

Best hunting ground for Jetta would be Mumbai / Thane / Navi Mumbai

Another major hurdle for you is MT most of the Highline models were sold in AT trim
While looking for an used manual diesel Jetta, went to the local Pune BU Bhandari dealership to check if they have old but fresh stock going for a heavy discount. To my surprise, they had a 2015 make new car (comfortline diesel) in silver colour. They are ready to give around 1.4L discount on the 2015 model. Even with the discount, on road price comes to around 20.5 lakhs. Extended warranty would be extra. Isn't it bit expensive for a 2015 model? Anyway, looking at the quoted price, I could see the value of this thread. 2013 models of Jetta highline diesel AT are available in the used market at a price of around 14.5 lakhs where as the new car price is around 25.5 lakhs. A whopping 10 lakhs less for a relatively low run 3 year old car. Thanks GTO for the eye opener.

As mentioned by viraj_s85, most of the used Jetta in the market is highline diesel AT and my requirement is a manual one unfortunately. I will keep on my search for some more time. Few questions here:

1) If I buy a 2013 jetta and if it does not have 3rd and 4th year extended warranty, then can I buy 3rd and 4th year extended warranty? I am particularly asking because normal warranty for 2 years must have lapsed already for a 2013 car?

2) If the PDI check goes through, is it advisable to buy a 2015 make new car lying with dealership? No, I do not have the budget for a new jetta, but just asking.

3) Now a what car question. Sorry for deviating a bit from the thread. Which car at around 12 lakh (used or new, sedan or SUV) can give me close to Jetta like ride at the back seat? Am I in the territory of S Cross and Duster? The pre facelift Altis did not feel like dynamically as sorted. My car will be driven a lot by the driver.

The two cars I found most in the used car search is Honda City and Vento. Any specific reason? I was surprised to see 2014 Vento highline diesel manual (< 40,000 km) available at around 8 lakhs. The new car costs around 13.5 lakh.
Old 11th December 2016, 12:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Did you change the ownership in this 3 months duration?
Yes. First transferred to my name and then to the new owner.

Quote:
Also, was the intention only to sell it off for a profit?
I had no intention of selling it. But my wife was finding it too difficult to drive and it would remain idle when I was out at sea. So I sold it. I would have been happy with just recovering my money or incurring a small loss. But when I managed a good profit why would I say no.
Old 12th December 2016, 22:03   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
As mentioned by viraj_s85, most of the used Jetta in the market is highline diesel AT and my requirement is a manual one unfortunately. I will keep on my search for some more time. Few questions here:

========

3) Now a what car question. Sorry for deviating a bit from the thread. Which car at around 12 lakh (used or new, sedan or SUV) can give me close to Jetta like ride at the back seat? Am I in the territory of S Cross and Duster? The pre facelift Altis did not feel like dynamically as sorted. My car will be driven a lot by the driver.

The two cars I found most in the used car search is Honda City and Vento. Any specific reason? I was surprised to see 2014 Vento highline diesel manual (< 40,000 km) available at around 8 lakhs. The new car costs around 13.5 lakh.
As far as your 3rd question goes i think following links should help you out,

2015 - Ciaz ZDI - 29K ODO - 9.5L
https://www.olx.in/item/2015-maruti-...tml#069cab6e57

2016 - VW Vento - 12K ODO - 11L
https://www.olx.in/item/volkswagen-v...tml#069cab6e57

2014 - Jetta Highline - 41K ODO - 11L
https://www.olx.in/item/volkswagen-j...tml#069cab6e57

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th December 2016 at 15:35. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
viraj_s85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 22:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Viraj for the links. I did go through them and they make interesting propositions. It seems I would go for a well maintained Vento if I do not get a Jetta with extended warranty and within my budget. There are plenty of options for Vento in the used market. Unfortunately, after experiencing the Jetta, nothing comes close to it.

The showroom Jetta was non-registered one and not a TD car. I was very tempted, but somehow resisted myself.
Old 13th December 2016, 19:07   #81
BANNED

Okay guys, although a bit OT but I guess this perspective also needs to be discussed.

What you guys opine on buying a October 2016 manufactured car in March-April? Or say a May 2016 manufactured car, or a pre facelift car in end 2016?

What advantages one gets in such new cars:
1) Heavy discounts
2) Longer warranty coverage
3) Peace of owning a new car
4) The vehicle has all it's life left for you to exploit
5)More you haggle, better deal you get
6) You easily get a new car for the cost of a used six month old car or slightly above that, at nearly same price.

Such deals do come, visit the dealerships like of say VW, Fiat etc. fiat dealers in NCR which have closed down, they offered flat 1.5-2 lac discount or even more on Punto, Line and Avventura. When we now that enthusiastic cars go cheap in used car market, it's a fact that they can be bought new with mouth watering discounts. I know, they will still cost around 10% more than a seldom used 6-12 months old car, but then peace of mind doesn't come for free.

Quote:

2015 - Ciaz ZDI - 29K ODO - 9.5L
https://www.olx.in/item/2015-maruti-...tml#069cab6e57

2016 - VW Vento - 12K ODO - 11L
https://www.olx.in/item/volkswagen-v...tml#069cab6e57

2014 - Jetta Highline - 41K ODO - 11L
https://www.olx.in/item/volkswagen-j...tml#069cab6e57
No offense Viraj, but none of the presented deals is mouth watering by any stretch of imagination. The Jetta has already done 41k kms (Nothing over 9 lac for this car from my side), Vento is a manual with 12k on odo (10 lac max, the owner will soon have to pay insurance premium and 10-12k for service). Ciaz is already a 2015 car.

Better rush to a Hyundai dealer in January and haggle over discounts for a Verna, a Skoda dealer can give a Rapid pre facelift for around 11 lack itself and any VW dealer will give 1 lac or maybe 80-90k worth benefits on Vento 2016 variant by February. Believe in VW and let them slip the new update in the Vento, that will be enough to push the discounts to around 1 lac.

Last edited by VKumar : 13th December 2016 at 19:14.
Old 13th December 2016, 21:11   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
No offense Viraj, but none of the presented deals is mouth watering by any stretch of imagination. The Jetta has already done 41k kms (Nothing over 9 lac for this car from my side), Vento is a manual with 12k on odo (10 lac max, the owner will soon have to pay insurance premium and 10-12k for service). Ciaz is already a 2015 car.

Better rush to a Hyundai dealer in January and haggle over discounts for a Verna, a Skoda dealer can give a Rapid pre facelift for around 11 lack itself and any VW dealer will give 1 lac or maybe 80-90k worth benefits on Vento 2016 variant by February. Believe in VW and let them slip the new update in the Vento, that will be enough to push the discounts to around 1 lac.
None taken mate.. what I have posted are nothing but classifieds and my previous post clearly states these prices are 100% negotiable depending on one's experience

Your points are valid when it comes to dealer discounts on unsold cars / stock clearance but a huge chunk of money goes into RTO Taxes which is paid by 1st owner

to give you example,

VW Vento Highline MT will cost around 13.60 L in Mumbai / Pune

11.70 L - Ex Showroom
1.40 L - RTO
45K - Insurance
15K - Depot / TCS

If you get discount of 1L over ex-showroom for unsold car you still pay the RTO which is 1.5 L so you will get the car around 12.60 L (2016 Model)

Now if you find 2016 VW Vento same specs with low ODO with asking price of 11 L & lets say you negotiate down to 10.50 L what you have is 2016 model with almost 2 L less
Old 13th December 2016, 21:39   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Now if you find 2016 VW Vento same specs with low ODO with asking price of 11 L & lets say you negotiate down to 10.50 L what you have is 2016 model with almost 2 L less
Thanks for the detailed reply mate. Looks like the price difference between the cities is the factor I didn't consider properly. The point, that is still intact is that, the grass isn't entirely green.

1) A used car bought at a high price (Around 85% here), is going to cost you as much or maybe even higher financial losses as the first owner will. Now if anyone buys this car for 11 and sells it after 1 year and 12k kms. The car will be 2 years and 2 owners old, the second owner here will suffer the biggest loss.

2) Service and insurance premium are already nearing. So basically what you feel that you have as 2 lac is not actually 2. You already have to pay 30-35k towards maintenance too. Additionally you never know how those 12k kms were spent and what was the purity level of the fuel this car has ran on. Minor factor but makes major change in long run.

3) 2+2 year extended warranty is for first owner. What you get after 1 year is 1+2 years warranty. So 1 year lesser of warranty cover. It matters a lot, it's not first one or two years when issues actually occur, it's later when you are already over 50k on odo.

Who enjoys the ownership then?
Well, anyone who has bought a car with 90% life at around 50% price. Take the example of GTO's 530, that's a sweet deal for a used car (normal for this segment though), he may not lose a single penny or even may be will make a profit if he sells it now, but buying same car for 85% the price of new is a sure shot loss making deal.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 10:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

While we are at it, what do you guys think should be a fair price for an Accord 2.4 Ltr Mt (2008-09 make) having driven for around 50K Kms?
Old 14th December 2016, 14:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

In the 6 cars I owned, 2 were pre-owned. I was conned in my first purchase of Maruti Esteem where I recognized from a old service sticker that the odometer was tampered . My 2nd pre-owned vehicle is my current Fortuner AT. It was just an year old and I feel it was an excellent buy after using it for last 2 years. This still being an unorganized sector, chances of getting duped is there, but it can be a big saver if you manage to find the right stuff. On top of all, I hear demonetisation has pulled down the cost of premium used cars.
Old 15th December 2016, 14:48   #86
BHPian

How does the warranty of a preowned car work? For example, if I'm purchasing a 2015 model which has 2 years of warranty and valid till 2016, is the warranty dependent on the owner + car combination or just on the car? I have heard numerous reports where service centers deny the warranty claim as the owner mentioned in the warranty details with the company is different if it was sold to another person. Is this true?
Old 15th December 2016, 15:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Take a copy of the sale paperwork to the dealership and ask for warranty transfer.

After that send them a copy of the updated RC with your ownership reflected, once you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
How does the warranty of a preowned car work? For example, if I'm purchasing a 2015 model which has 2 years of warranty and valid till 2016, is the warranty dependent on the owner + car combination or just on the car? I have heard numerous reports where service centers deny the warranty claim as the owner mentioned in the warranty details with the company is different if it was sold to another person. Is this true?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 00:15   #88
NH7
BHPian

I could have bought the Honda Amaze New and lived happily ever after. But I didn't.*

I had extracted good value and enjoyed every bit from buying my previous cars used- Ford Ikon 1.6 Zdi when I was single, and later Santro Zing eRLX AT for the wife. Just like most fellow BHPians in this thread, I was totally sold on the value of buying used.

Then, against my safe and logical thinking,I did what the gurus warn against- Buy a 10+ year old German, never sold in India!

The inevitable reality did bite, but the not so obvious BENEFIT FOR ME, surely outweighs all the cons.

The car in question is a BMW E46 3series 😁. Inline 6 engine. ///M body kit. Low profile fat rubber on 18" alloys. Immaculate cosmetically. Ageing, but no red flags mechanically.

Since parts and technical expertise were not easy to come by, I was induced to read up, go through relevant international forums,find ways to source parts, poke and prod to learn and diagnose.

I was always a technically inclined DIY guy around the house, but this car has shown me light through workshop manuals, substantially built my tool kit, taught me machining on the lathe,(Well, my ships machinists did, actually),had me explore the industrial area works around town, and saved many a domestic escalation!*

The therapeutic element to waxing and detailing, the rush when the rear end slides out, or the pride when I find ' Selling kya?' post its on the windshield, I cannot describe!*

From needing the A.S.S to change a headlight bulb, to turning my own Better than OEM engine mounts, it's been amazing so far. Long way to go though. Looking fwd to every bit of it.

I could have bought the Amaze, patronised the dealerships, floored the pedal and thought myself an enthusiast, but then I would know no more about cars than my Mother in Law, bless her!*

Buying this used car, has added value to my life!

No offence to anyone. Amaze example used purely for price parity. I must state that throughout this period, I have had the luxury of time and some form of backup commute.
NH7 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 04:16   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
From needing the A.S.S to change a headlight bulb, to turning my own Better than OEM engine mounts, it's been amazing so far. Long way to go though. Looking fwd to every bit of it.
Wow... What a first post! A true BHPian, treading a path of auto and mechanical devotion that the likes of me can only stand back and admire from a distance. But you have been with us for seven years without posting?

These days, the furthest that I go is maybe pouring some oil. And last time, the person who sold it to me wouldn't let me do it myself!

Quote:
I could have bought the Amaze, patronised the dealerships, floored the pedal and thought myself an enthusiast, but then I would know no more about cars than my Mother in Law, bless her!*

Buying this used car, has added value to my life!
Hoping to read more about your learning adventure. You have several years of posting to catch up with!

And wishing you and your car many more happy miles

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th June 2017 at 04:17.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 13:58   #90
NH7
BHPian

Thank you, Sir.I have many a time (silently !)agreed and appreciated your well travelled and experienced perspective. I've been a passive reader for way too long and hope to change that.
NH7 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed