Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 15:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post

Buying this used car, has added value to my life!

Wow.. This statement cant get truer!

However, to those who get carried away, let me also remind the other side of the story, which is: Only venture out towards it as an adventure! ie, if you have all the time, patience and knowledge. If so, the value you gain is priceless, when compared to a new car buy.
Old 19th June 2018, 15:22   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
not-so-obvious advantage #1

not-so-obvious advantage #16
not-so-obvious advantage #17

I simply don't think some cars are worth it. Do I think the new E350 is worth 86 lakhs on the road? No way. Or the new 530d 80 lakhs? Dream on. These are just two examples but the fact is, most cars priced over 50 lakhs are grossly overpriced.

Buying a new E-Class or 5-Series at that price just doesn't agree with my sensibilities.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 16:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do I think the new E350 is worth 86 lakhs on the road? No way. Or the new 530d 80 lakhs? Dream on.
You don't have to go as far as the luxury Germans. Given their outrageous current prices, the D segment petrol versions are best enjoyed as used cars. Their inherent low FE, results in not so high miles when sold and the resale prices quite tempting as well.

Civic, Accord, CR-V, Corolla, Superb and the rare Grand Vitara are examples I can quote.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 17:48   #94
BHPian

I've had a lot of my enthusiast friends frown when I buy new a new car. And yes, I do agree that going the used car way is the wise way to make sure you get maximum bang for your buck ! I've had a very interesting chat with one of my clients who's crazy about cars as well. He told me he always wanted to but never could go the used car way. His side of the conversation went like this.

' It's actually a very wise idea, but let me tell you, as an average salaried man, if he (also an enthusiast) buys a new car without considering a second hand car because he has an income but not enough to pay for a used car, he takes a loan (new car loans are cheaper than used car loans) and buys a Alto maybe a Wagon R whichever EMI he finds affordable. But just as he's getting married he exchanges the car buy a spanking new Maruti Swift. He gets a sweet deal, a very good resale and he has a Swift. Fast forward 4-5 years he's paid off that car's EMI. Updation bug bites, but will he a get a good enthusiast car for say 4-5 lakhs ? He thinks but cars that he wants are costlier. Plans ahead and gets the Dezire. And the upgrades continue. One reason. No liquid cash.He can pay off EMIs easily. And that's why he buys 3 more new cars (all the while updating) and when the time comes when he has enough to splurge on a used German luxury car that he always had his eyes on, somehow he wont go with it. He will think of all the good cars he's used and the money he's spent to reach here, he has half a mind to just go for it but the missus and sometimes the kids won't agree with him and the saga of new cars will continue. After all it's people like him who caters the supply of used cars ! Maybe sometime he'll end up buying used cars but that might be one or two cars but that's it. And let me tell you it's what happened with me. '
He told me this and left in his recently acquired Octavia VRS. And all I could think was ' Man, I wish I was as cool as him !'

PS: Moderators- If this post doesn't add value to the thread please remove it.
kraken is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
as an average salaried man, if he (also an enthusiast) buys a new car without considering a second hand car because he has an income but not enough to pay for a used car, he takes a loan (new car loans are cheaper than used car loans)
I think it all depends on which car model you're looking at. A Vento, City can be had for cheaper than a Polo or Swift from what I've seen. Pseudo-SUV's have bloody good resale value, so better to buy new unless you have the cash to plonk in. Some less popular cars like Punto, Micra can be had at dismal values (for the owner) basically a steal deal.

Sure, it made sense for me to get a new Ecosport because used ones had really good resale value. But when we were looking for my wife's car, we considered a 6 year old Nissan Micra XV at 2.8 lacs whose EMI through a personal loan would be around 6.5K for 5 years at 11% interest. This worked out to be cheaper than a new car of the same model or a car that would match the features and safety of the Micra.

My drive before the Ecosport was a Honda City ZX (Still with us) which was bought at 2.7 lacs (at 8 years old and 65K) and an immediate CNG conversion. It is now at 1.35 lac kms without any issues. Even including the maintenance costs which were substantial at tad under 2 lacs for the 4 year period (because I preferred HASS), it still turns out to be cheaper than a new car even if the loan itself cost more on interest part.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a good deal for Ecosport and the resale prices quoted were so high that it was re-assuring to actually buy new and then sell it off at such values after 5 years to upgrade.

The point I'm trying to make is - to prefer a safer car even if it's old, even if it meant taking a loan at a higher cost. I'd anytime take an used Punto or Micra at half the price of a new Alto, Wagon-R, Kwid or Datsun Go, even if the new ones come with Airbags which IMHO are actually more harmful than useful once the structure of car is compromised.

But since heart trump minds many times, or just the feel and smell of new car is paramount, there's no denying if the extra money paid yields satisfaction ( Nirvana/Meaning to Life, help me with words here ) which is ultimately what everyone is working for.
jagzrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:58   #96
Senior - BHPian

This wonderful thread is perhaps most apt under current circumstances. BS-VI transition, auto industry slow down, SUV vs Sedans and Petrol vs diesel parity. Auto makers look puzzled and are busy going back to the drawing boards.

While the likes of GM have left, Fiat clueless, Ford partnering with M&M and entry of Chinese makers makes me gasp that the days of the "global cars" is almost over for our Indian market !!

I have been in the market for over year now and explored multiple options in the 10-20L range, ranging from the sub-4m Crossovers to D segment Sedans/SUVs for that perfect company.

I kept waiting for the new launches, Civic, Harrier, Hector and now Seltos. While some were expensive, some were tad small and some did not come in automatic. My search for perfect car continues

Cutting the story short, I picked up a 2015 Corolla Altis Petrol (GL Manual) this week. This thread is a wonderful eye opener and convinced me to explore used car market(Considering current scenario) and honestly it was a love at first site when i saw her standing at the dealership.

The car was in mint condition, having only 15K kms on the odo and being a Toyota gave that added assurance. Being skeptical of the used car dealership, I decided to try the Toyota UTrust and I hope I have made the wise choice.

The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars-whatsapp-image-20190622-12.23.04-pm.jpeg

While I never felt the Corolla to be VFM, I felt the exact opposite at the used car price.

My Requirements were mainly - Ride quality, Comfortable 5 seater, Safe and reliable.

Other options I evaluated :
Tata harrier - Dropped due to lack of AT, QC issues
Honda City - Low seating, Model change is due and build quality just OK
Kia Seltos - Kept waiting, size seem to be almost same as Creta(tight for 3 at rear)
MG Hector - Did not feel connected with this car, too much bling !!
Skoda Octavia - I could convince myself only for a manual (scared of DSG reliability)
Civic - Felt the rear seat to be too low for senior citizens

While I never included a Toyota in my search(Err, perhaps Yaris) the whole equation changed in the context of a used car.

Though old, this car had all the features that you mostly find in C segment in 2019(Auto LED lights, rain sensing wipers, Powered driver seats, Leather ....). Plus the build quality is way better than the likes of Ciaz/City. Being a sedan, i can be sure this is more efficient than the SUV counterparts. Car scores high in ride quality and my father too could easily sit inside the rear. Rear AC are missing, however I felt the AC is super chiller for the size of the cabin and one may not miss rear AC in Bangalore weather.

I would like to thank you all in convincing me to pick up my first used car and looking forward to make many memories with my new car !!

Last edited by rajshenoy : 28th June 2019 at 10:10.
rajshenoy is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 13:01   #97
BHPian

Mod note: Post edited. Trimming entire large quote in reply. Affects readability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
This wonderful thread is perhaps most apt under current circumstances.
=======
I would like to thank you all in convincing me to pick up my first used car and looking forward to make many memories with my new car !!
Pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm mostly torn between an Elantra AT and waiting for the Seltos.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th June 2019 at 14:01.
Old 28th June 2019, 15:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Mod note: Post edited. Trimming entire large quote in reply. Affects readability.

Pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm mostly torn between an Elantra AT and waiting for the Seltos.
I too waited for Seltos. Reason for going with Corolla is for the savings - Seltos will be expensive and I can save 7-8 lakhs. Also my preference for hyundai(and kia) will be for their refined diesel engines than petrol.

In my case, Creta was not liked by family for lack of width at rear for 3. Also the window line was too high for short passengers.

If you are going for Elantra, see if you can get the 2017 ones. It surely is better in many aspects over 2016 Elantra( Or haggle well for the Petrol Elantra).

And lastly, are you planning to keep the car for long ? Do consider Corolla Altis petrol if you can live with its retro interior(i kind of loved it, quality is top notch, but bland). It will be very low on your pocket.

I could not find a very good Skoda octavia 1.4 TSI manual, its a good car too.
rajshenoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 15:40   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I too waited for Seltos. Reason for going with Corolla is for the savings - Seltos will be expensive and I can save 7-8 lakhs. Also my preference for hyundai(and kia) will be for their refined diesel engines than petrol.

In my case, Creta was not liked by family for lack of width at rear for 3. Also the window line was too high for short passengers.

If you are going for Elantra, see if you can get the 2017 ones. It surely is better in many aspects over 2016 Elantra( Or haggle well for the Petrol Elantra).

And lastly, are you planning to keep the car for long ? Do consider Corolla Altis petrol if you can live with its retro interior(i kind of loved it, quality is top notch, but bland). It will be very low on your pocket.

I could not find a very good Skoda octavia 1.4 TSI manual, its a good car too.
Ah. True, the 2.0 on Petrol and gearbox on the Elantra isn't the best. I'm bowled over by the kit though and especially cooled seats. I do intend on keeping it a while, but the Corolla doesn't work for me because of the interiors and ubiquity in Delhi
Old 28th June 2019, 16:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Cutting the story short, I picked up a 2015 Corolla Altis Petrol (GL Manual) this week.
Congrats man! The corolla is a brilliant choice for buying used. I was looking at used cars a while back and had checked out UTrust. I found the listed prices ridiculously overpriced compared to other used car dealers. Could you please answer the following:
1. Was the listed price very high?
2. Is there room for negotiation?
3. Do the cars really undergo all those 203 checks they have listed? Also, do they tell you if they changed or refurbished parts?
4. What other benefits were there besides a warranty from Toyota?
5. Could you please tell us the final price you paid.
Congrats again
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 17:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Congrats man! The corolla is a brilliant choice for buying used. I was looking at used cars a while back and had checked out UTrust. I found the listed prices ridiculously overpriced compared to other used car dealers. Could you please answer the following:
1. Was the listed price very high?
2. Is there room for negotiation?
3. Do the cars really undergo all those 203 checks they have listed? Also, do they tell you if they changed or refurbished parts?
4. What other benefits were there besides a warranty from Toyota?
5. Could you please tell us the final price you paid.
Congrats again
Price is always a bit high because this was sold through the dealership. I could negotiate 50k and settled for 11 L. Honestly the prices are a bit ridiculous in Bangalore anyway. I could not spot a single piece matching this spec for below 12-13L.

I will be getting up to 3 services and 1 year/10000 km warranty. Extra price for the additional peace of mind maybe.

Coming to the quality part, they had covered even the faint scratches and they even showed me the car pics when they received from the seller.

Overall I will not generalize it, but this particular car had a clean history and very good pampering done by the old owner. Bought and serviced at same dealership throughout it's life.

End of the day, it's the vibes I got from the car and I was sold!!

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2019 at 21:44. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
rajshenoy is online now   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2019, 19:00   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I will be getting up to 3 services and 1 year/10000 km warranty. Extra price for the additional peace of mind maybe.
Wow, that is a really nice deal. Although, according to the official website a 4-5 year old model should have a 20k KM warranty while you're getting a 10k warranty.
Link:
https://www.toyotautrust.in/certification/#liWarranty
What gives?

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Trimming quote
Old 28th June 2019, 21:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Wow, that is a really nice deal. Although, according to the official website a 4-5 year old model should have a 20k KM warranty while you're getting a 10k warranty.
Link:
https://www.toyotautrust.in/certification/#liWarranty
What gives?
Thanks. I still feel a brand new Corolla altis is overpriced for what it offers, but in the used car market, it's a different equation. It was an easy decision picking this over a brand new ciaz/city.

Let me clarify the same on warranty. My running is less so in any case the warranty remains 1 year only. Would have loved two year though
Old 1st July 2019, 11:14   #104
BHPian

I recently went the pre-owned way. Was driving a Ford Figo diesel - 2013 model. Clocked 1,16,000 kms and decided to sell the car. The other reason was incessant traffic in Mumbai and the recent shift to Cityflo buses from Thane to Mumbai. This meant my diesel would be parked unused.

Driving Fords and VWs is a big problem. You just can't shift to Maruti's and the Hyundai's. Absolute No No. We own the Vento 1.6 auto, so buying a VW again was out of question. The new Ford twins are nothing close to a Ford. And the Ecosport was way out of budget.

I was looking for a used Corolla auto, the earlier model. But again, very difficult. Very few used autos in the market and looks like people don't sell their Corolla Autos that often. The ones that I saw were in pathetic condition. I would be looking at shelling out 50-70 K to get the vehicle road worthy. A good old friend who owns a garage suggested the Toyota Etios Petrol.

I had never really looked at the Etios. And when I did, I was a bit taken aback. The petrol drives like a charm. The handling is very good. The car though built on severe cost cutting measures, is pretty well built. It feels sturdy on the highways.

So I picked up a 2013 model done 16,500 kms. Mint condition. Previous owner had maintained the car very well ensuring regular services. At 16,500, the car had already done the 50 K service. I ended up paying a premium, but it's been well worth it. I will let the pictures do the talking....

One trip to Saputara, numerous to Pune and Nasik and one to Goa; I have now crossed 20,500. Brilliant to say the least. This machines delivered a healthy 18.5 km/lt on the Goa trip. I am not complaining one bit about this used car.

The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars-1557414147863.jpg

The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars-1557414147954.jpg

The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars-1557414148583.jpg

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st July 2019 at 11:57. Reason: spacing
VikrantD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:00   #105
BHPian

Mind vs Heart - Pre-worshipped vs New

I am a car enthusiast. I am emotionally attached to my car. A car, for me, is a better half of my one half. So I "Live Car(s)".

For a given budget (for eg. 10L, 20L, 30L, and so on), we have two options
1. A new car
2. "Pre-worshipped" car (Not just a pre-owned one).

I always have this dilemma of which one to choose. It's a very strong dilemma that makes me defer my purchase. In fact, It stresses me out as well.

As there are comprehensive threads/posts regarding new car vs old car buying, I want to know what you fellas go through and where do you land.

Some of the reasons for my dilemma

1. For a given budget, when we go the pre-worshipped route, we can always buy a better car in terms of everything. But identifying the right car is a huge gamble.
2. In terms of performance, you get more from a pre-worshipped one than a new one of the same cost. (for eg - buying a Seltos at 20L vs buying a used Compass at 20L).
3. If it is going to be lemon, how do you manage it? In fact, how do you identify in the first place, whether it is a lemon or not?
4. Do you really care about the reason for the sale from the owner? If so, how do you know the authenticity?
5. How to convince the family members who don't like the pre-worshipped route at all?

Finally, what is your advice/recommendation to me to replace my "new car that is a lemon" from Tata stable to replace it with a pre-worshipped car?
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks