Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 5th June 2017, 15:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post

Buying this used car, has added value to my life!

Wow.. This statement cant get truer!

However, to those who get carried away, let me also remind the other side of the story, which is: Only venture out towards it as an adventure! ie, if you have all the time, patience and knowledge. If so, the value you gain is priceless, when compared to a new car buy.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 15:22   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
not-so-obvious advantage #1

not-so-obvious advantage #16
not-so-obvious advantage #17

I simply don't think some cars are worth it. Do I think the new E350 is worth 86 lakhs on the road? No way. Or the new 530d 80 lakhs? Dream on. These are just two examples but the fact is, most cars priced over 50 lakhs are grossly overpriced.

Buying a new E-Class or 5-Series at that price just doesn't agree with my sensibilities.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 16:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do I think the new E350 is worth 86 lakhs on the road? No way. Or the new 530d 80 lakhs? Dream on.
You don't have to go as far as the luxury Germans. Given their outrageous current prices, the D segment petrol versions are best enjoyed as used cars. Their inherent low FE, results in not so high miles when sold and the resale prices quite tempting as well.

Civic, Accord, CR-V, Corolla, Superb and the rare Grand Vitara are examples I can quote.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 17:48   #94
BHPian

I've had a lot of my enthusiast friends frown when I buy new a new car. And yes, I do agree that going the used car way is the wise way to make sure you get maximum bang for your buck ! I've had a very interesting chat with one of my clients who's crazy about cars as well. He told me he always wanted to but never could go the used car way. His side of the conversation went like this.

' It's actually a very wise idea, but let me tell you, as an average salaried man, if he (also an enthusiast) buys a new car without considering a second hand car because he has an income but not enough to pay for a used car, he takes a loan (new car loans are cheaper than used car loans) and buys a Alto maybe a Wagon R whichever EMI he finds affordable. But just as he's getting married he exchanges the car buy a spanking new Maruti Swift. He gets a sweet deal, a very good resale and he has a Swift. Fast forward 4-5 years he's paid off that car's EMI. Updation bug bites, but will he a get a good enthusiast car for say 4-5 lakhs ? He thinks but cars that he wants are costlier. Plans ahead and gets the Dezire. And the upgrades continue. One reason. No liquid cash.He can pay off EMIs easily. And that's why he buys 3 more new cars (all the while updating) and when the time comes when he has enough to splurge on a used German luxury car that he always had his eyes on, somehow he wont go with it. He will think of all the good cars he's used and the money he's spent to reach here, he has half a mind to just go for it but the missus and sometimes the kids won't agree with him and the saga of new cars will continue. After all it's people like him who caters the supply of used cars ! Maybe sometime he'll end up buying used cars but that might be one or two cars but that's it. And let me tell you it's what happened with me. '
He told me this and left in his recently acquired Octavia VRS. And all I could think was ' Man, I wish I was as cool as him !'

PS: Moderators- If this post doesn't add value to the thread please remove it.
kraken is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 17:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
as an average salaried man, if he (also an enthusiast) buys a new car without considering a second hand car because he has an income but not enough to pay for a used car, he takes a loan (new car loans are cheaper than used car loans)
I think it all depends on which car model you're looking at. A Vento, City can be had for cheaper than a Polo or Swift from what I've seen. Pseudo-SUV's have bloody good resale value, so better to buy new unless you have the cash to plonk in. Some less popular cars like Punto, Micra can be had at dismal values (for the owner) basically a steal deal.

Sure, it made sense for me to get a new Ecosport because used ones had really good resale value. But when we were looking for my wife's car, we considered a 6 year old Nissan Micra XV at 2.8 lacs whose EMI through a personal loan would be around 6.5K for 5 years at 11% interest. This worked out to be cheaper than a new car of the same model or a car that would match the features and safety of the Micra.

My drive before the Ecosport was a Honda City ZX (Still with us) which was bought at 2.7 lacs (at 8 years old and 65K) and an immediate CNG conversion. It is now at 1.35 lac kms without any issues. Even including the maintenance costs which were substantial at tad under 2 lacs for the 4 year period (because I preferred HASS), it still turns out to be cheaper than a new car even if the loan itself cost more on interest part.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a good deal for Ecosport and the resale prices quoted were so high that it was re-assuring to actually buy new and then sell it off at such values after 5 years to upgrade.

The point I'm trying to make is - to prefer a safer car even if it's old, even if it meant taking a loan at a higher cost. I'd anytime take an used Punto or Micra at half the price of a new Alto, Wagon-R, Kwid or Datsun Go, even if the new ones come with Airbags which IMHO are actually more harmful than useful once the structure of car is compromised.

But since heart trump minds many times, or just the feel and smell of new car is paramount, there's no denying if the extra money paid yields satisfaction ( Nirvana/Meaning to Life, help me with words here ) which is ultimately what everyone is working for.
jagzrk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote