Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18267-article-extended-warranties-yes-no-11.html)

I had opted for an extended waranty for the 3rd year paying 10K in my verna.But the same was of no use to me as no part was changed in that period.We cannot predict when a part can get damaged,so for peace of mind opt for the extended waranty.
ram

The extended warranty is a good thing.
My Scorpio is 3.5 years old.
I had bought the 2 year 50K Km extended warranty.
Some 6 months back I noticed a rust spot developing on the inner rim of the body shell where the tailgate shuts. This was handled under warranty at no cost to me.
Recently - a month ago or so, I noted my right side roof rail had started developing rust spots near the tail end of it. Again this was replaced under warranty at no cost to me.
The best thing about M&M extended warranty is that it covers some serious parts like the Turbo etc in case it dies within the warranty.
Mostly nothing happens because whatever said and done the M&M vehicles are built tough and are very reliable indeed.
But in todays world with more and more electronics coming into the picture coupled with our Indian dusty messy conditions, it is always better to play safe and buy an extended warranty.No one can predict when something will go wrong. Why be caught on the wrong foot in case something does go wrong? The price paid for the warranty is in my opinion, well worth it, in exchange for the peace of mind one gets!

If you have any Vehicle from the Tata stable then there is only one answer - YES YES YES YES...
When I bought my car 3 years back I didnt feel like opting for it but Tata guys were themselves insistent that I opt for it during my 1st service. Today I am happy I did it because some issue or the other crops up in the car & ONLY because of the extended warranty I am saved of all this extra cost that I would have incurred otherwise

I guess this has already been asked before but I'll repost this question with all details I have received so far.

I am buying a 2011 Maruti Suzuki Swift Diesel (VDI). The car comes with a factory warranty of 2 years or 40,000 kms whichever is earlier. Can someone confirm if this is correct information? I am buying the car through Sai Service Station Pune and have been assured a delivery soon. The extended warranty from MSIL for additional 2 years cost about Rs. 5,000/- and is valid only until 80,000 kms for the 4th year and the 3rd year mileage shouldn't exceed 60,000 kms to avail warranty.

I have used my Palio for 1,25,000 kms in 4 years and hence this warranty is not quite reassuring. The other condition on this warranty says (as described by the sales person) that in event of a part failure, I will have to get repairs carried out at any Maruti Suzuki authorized workshop and pay my bills in full. I will then have to raise a complaint with MSIL and they will take a call on honoring the warranty. Additionally the compensation on any particular part will only consititute a percentage of the amount I paid after taking into account some depreciation. Is this how MSIL warranty works?

Now, the dealership warranty says:Do you guys think I should stick to the warranty provided by MSIL and not avail of this offer by Sai Service?

EDIT: I have asked them for their warranty booklet to make a decision and I'll add more information once I receive it. The above details have been provided from their sales brochure.

On the new jazz, both dealers here in Pune are charging Rs. 10k for 2 years extended warranty + RSA.
Having probed further i realised that RSA is required only incase -
1. Stay away from the city (battery failure, towing and tyre failure / fuel over)
2. Other extreme cases
I realised that the chances of requiring RSA are pretty low. Also, i figured out that the RSA for 4 years is Rs. 4500.
I had earlier opted out of EW + RSA but now am wondering if i should only signup for EW.

Honda owner, please suggest!

Hello Guys,

I own an ANHC which I purchased in July 2009. The car has so far run 37k and has not troubled me or any problems whatsoever. When buying the car I was not aware of Extended warranty nor did anyone at dealers told me about it.
Its just recently I came to know about it here and just want to ask, Can I get an extended warranty now?

@Vtecguy; I think your car (incl. extended warranty) is covered for three years. afaik this used to be the default. But then I may be wrong. Why I feel so is that I got a call a few months ago from a close friend who has a City Mk.II which went totally our of warranty only at the three year point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2504171)
@Vtecguy; I think your car (incl. extended warranty) is covered for three years. afaik this used to be the default. But then I may be wrong. Why I feel so is that I got a call a few months ago from a close friend who has a City Mk.II which went totally our of warranty only at the three year point.

Hello Sir,

Well, in that case I will just check the warranty booklet lying in my car. I was thinking that normal warranty is just 2 years or 40k whichever is earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vtecguy7166 (Post 2504231)
Well, in that case I will just check the warranty booklet lying in my car. I was thinking that normal warranty is just 2 years or 40k whichever is earlier.

The Additional / extended warranty comes as a separate booklet. At least did in my Civic of May 2010. The main booklet does not cover this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2505223)
The Additional / extended warranty comes as a separate booklet. At least did in my Civic of May 2010. The main booklet does not cover this.

I checked my Warranty booklet. The car is covered for 2 years or 40k Kms.
And since I don't have extended warranty, basically I am out of Warranty.

I recently booked a VW Polo from one of the dealers in Mumbai and like most people on this forum, opted for an extended warranty for the 3rd and 4th year by paying INR 7300/- approx. I didn't want to buy the in car entertainment system from the dealer, but they are of the opinion that if I get it elsewhere my electrical warranty will be void. Obviously the dealer wants to make some money out of the ICE but would like to know from you fellows if anyone has had such an experience in the past, where the warranty was invalidated due to the buyer not opting to buy a product from the dealer.

Installation of ICE does not void warranty as long as wires are not cut. Most cars already have connectors that can be used to install ICE without cutting wires.

I had a query regarding the Extended warranty of my Fiesta. The normal 2 year warranty has expired and now the extended 2 year warranty has begun which will expire in 2013. All that I have is a two page document with the contract no and havent got the EW booklet. Will this in any way affect the warranty or can I demand the booklet from the Ford dealer/workshop?. I have attached the 2 page document. Experts please advise.

I had taken extended warranty for my verna and i should say,i have benefitted for the amount that i paid.

I had to replace the ABS sensors for both the rear tires... and each of the sensors cost Rs4800/-. The parts cost along with labour would have surely crossed the amount i paid for the warranty.

For any of the repairs, i never had to show any documents. I was updated in the system.

I have encountered an issue with Trident Hyundai / Hyundai India on the eligibility of the 5th year extended warranty on my i10.

I had purchased the car from Trident Hyundai in Feb 2010. Trident recommended and sold the car with the third year extended warranty. This is pretty standard practice - their price list then, and even now, includes the third year extended warranty. However, one can opt not to purchase the same. I was told that I could later purchase the extended warranty for the 4th and 5th year. Since, I would have got the extended warranty anyway, I agreed for the third year warranty at that time.

I went to enquire about purchasing the 4th and 5th year warranty at their ongoing service camp. Trident now informs me that on account of change in the extended warranty policy by Hyundai, I am not eligible for the 5th year warranty on my car, and can get only the 4th year warranty. The 5th year warranty is now only sold as a bundle along with the 3rd and 4th year warranties. I would have been eligible for the same only if I had not got the 3rd year warranty earlier.

I have taken it up with Trident, including with their GM (Service), that Trident recommended the 3rd year warranty with the new car, and that it was even in their price list. If there is a subsequent change in policy, they should have ensured that their existing customers are not affected. However, they have said that nothing can be done in this case.

Can the above scenario actually be allowed under consumer laws ? Do I have any grounds or means to seek redressal ? Would be glad to hear if anyone else has faced this situation, and what can be done.