Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 12:18   #256

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

I have purchased extended warranty for my GT TSI till 4 years.
I was inclined towards doing remaps on my car but I've heard that Volkswagen is a bit notorious when it comes to warranty claims.
I have just purchased a plug and play eagle eyes setup and have kept the original one to make it stock before any warranty claims. I hope that would work ?

Would love to hear any first hand experience related to this. Any hassles while claiming after mods ?
Old 4th November 2019, 12:46   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer007 View Post
The Volvo S60 Cross country has an on road price of about 55 lacs.

Am definitely going for the zero dep insurance.

As for extended warranty I've heard some horror stories from my friends as well as read of a few here on this forum. But those are mostly German make cars. Aren't these Scandinavian beauties from the Volvo stable supposed to be built like a tank and last for years without any issues unlike the other European beauties from Germany and Italy.

I'm also aware of the thousands of electric sensors and electric components that could potentially breakdown after the standard warranty period expires. Dealer doesn't know approx cost of some of the common components which would help me take a decision.

Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing the extended warranty only for the peace of mind.
Hi, if I were you I would get the extended warranty while buying the car, probably club the extended warranty with OTR to get a good deal.
Normally premium manufacturers give discounts on extended warranty while buying a new car, try negotiating with your dealer.

If you don’t want to get it now for any reason, ask if you can purchase it later before the standard warranty ends and the cost.
Old 28th January 2021, 18:12   #258
BHPian

Hello, I recently bought Honda City and considering the extended warranty package. I am being offered a 2-year extension (along with 3 year standard warranty) at around 11-12k.

My thought process on Warranty is that if any part of the car has to fail due to manufacturer's error, I will do so in the first 3 years itself (which is the standard warranty offered by Honda).

But again, if any major part fails, I will be paying a lot more than 12k. Thoughts?
Old 28th January 2021, 18:43   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post

My thought process on Warranty is that if any part of the car has to fail due to manufacturer's error, I will do so in the first 3 years itself (which is the standard warranty offered by Honda).
Think of it this way, extended warranty at the price of two tank full of petrol

Buy it please, but do check what all are covered as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 13:51   #260
BHPian

Is it worth to take extended warranty?
I am buying a S-cross Zeta MT and Royal Platinum 5 year Extended warranty is coming to INR 16909. I have extended warranty for Diesel Verna 1.6 SX(O), but does petrol car need an Extended warranty?Also for 5 year EW, is 16990 a fair price?
Old 14th March 2021, 14:23   #261

interesting topic this one...

i've booked Jeep Compass 2.0 Diesel Manual Limited (O) variant & i am expecting to get the delivery sometime by this month-end (end of march 2021)

i am sitting on the fence, just yet, on whether i should opt for the extended warranty (approx. INR 40k for this variant)

Jeep Compass comes w/ a manufacturer warranty of 2yrs / limited mileage & the additional INR. 40k extends that for 2 more years / limited warranty.

this is particularly perplexing, especially when the likes of Tata Harrier, etc. are offering unlimited mileage warranty on the extended warranty option.

views... anybody..?
Old 14th March 2021, 16:59   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
interesting topic this one...

i've booked Jeep Compass 2.0 Diesel Manual Limited (O) variant & i am expecting to get the delivery sometime by this month-end (end of march 2021)

i am sitting on the fence, just yet, on whether i should opt for the extended warranty (approx. INR 40k for this variant)

Jeep Compass comes w/ a manufacturer warranty of 2yrs / limited mileage & the additional INR. 40k extends that for 2 more years / limited warranty.

this is particularly perplexing, especially when the likes of Tata Harrier, etc. are offering unlimited mileage warranty on the extended warranty option.

views... anybody..?
Definitely get the extended warranty for the Jeep Compass. I've had warranty claims crossing 1.2 lakhs on mine in the last 3.5 years, thankful that I took it right at the beginning.

Last edited by di1in : 14th March 2021 at 17:01.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 17:39   #263
Team-BHP Support

Extended Warranty is a no-brainer. With the amount of electronics and electricals in cars these days and patchy reliability of some mechanicals such as the DCT, there is simply no reason why you shouldn't go for the EW. I take the maximum possible EW on every car; took it up to the 7th year even on the Honda City.

Another point is, try to get EW at the time of buying the vehicle itself as the plans tend to be cheaper at the time of purchase/within three months etc.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:25   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Extended Warranty is a no-brainer. With the amount of electronics and electricals in cars these days and patchy reliability of some mechanicals such as the DCT, there is simply no reason why you shouldn't go for the EW. I take the maximum possible EW on every car; took it up to the 7th year even on the Honda City.

Another point is, try to get EW at the time of buying the vehicle itself as the plans tend to be cheaper at the time of purchase/within three months etc.
thank you... point well taken... will haggle with the dealership for the right quote for extended warranty... thank you!
Old 11th June 2021, 18:32   #265
Senior - BHPian

Should I buy extended warranty for my Ford Ecosport S TDCI?

Prelude- My dad had a Honda Amaze S MT IDTEC, which served us very well for nearly 7 years (2013-June 2020). Dad had purchased Extended warranty of 2 years( only 2 years EW was available at that time), so the car had warranty coverage for 4 years. It suffered through some very minor niggles (creaking noises and rattles mostly) and only one major replacement (Clutch had become very hard), in the 4 year warranty period. However, nothing of the above was coverable under the warranty.

Fast forward to June 2020, and we exchanged Amaze (1,10,000 KMS), with a 23 months, 12500 Kms run pre owned Ecosport S TDCI (pristine condition). The vehicle had 2 + 1 year extended warranty. It's nearly been one year, since we purchased it and there have been no issues till date. Two minor replacements required, one of the rear reverse lamps and the glove box lamp has gone kaput. But I don't think these will be covered under EW (anyways this won't be a major expense).

In the one year period, the car has done 3000 kms, (thanks to Covid 19). We are currently a 3 people family, which would likely be 4 by next year. Only two of us are drivers (my dad and me). We plan to get another car by next year or 2023 latest (depending on Covid 19 scenario). So I believe the Ecosport's running should decline once the other car arrives. The other car will be atleast a sub 4 metre Pseudo SUV/ or a C2 segment sedan (Honda City).

Heart of the matter- Currently we have an option of extending the warranty by 1 or 2 years, which costs us Rs. 25200 for 2 years (No option of extending more than 2 years). Need to decide on this before 1st July 2021. Considering all the above points, is it prudent to go for a Extended Warranty of two years? Are there any major components that are prone to failure in the Diesel Ecosport, which are covered under warranty? Seeking guidance from every reader of this post.

Last edited by 07CR : 11th June 2021 at 18:39.
Old 11th June 2021, 19:37   #266
BHPian

Re: Should I buy extended warranty for my Ford Ecosport S TDCI?

Extended warranty is more like an insurance, you never know when it'll be useful.

The BS4 EcoSport post 2016 (100PS tune) has been fairly reliable and it does not warrant any replacement as such. However if you use the car a lot, then it's always better to go for the extended warranty, but 25k seems to be expensive as the 2 year extended warranty costs about 19k. Some parts like the turbo can set you back by 35k or each injector can cost about 15-20k.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th June 2021 at 06:30. Reason: Typo
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:47   #267
Senior - BHPian

It is an absolutely reliable car - my 2013 TDCi Titanium (literally the first batch in Pune) was my daily ride for 7yrs/95k kms and it worked like a charm till I sold it last year. I sold it cause I needed a 7 seater else it would have run another fuss free 50k atleast. Never needed anything except regular service.

But I always believe that buying the longest possible EW while you can always gives you peace of mind. If you intend to keep the car for as long as I did, 25k is really not much money over 7yrs.

Didn't vote since there is no option for - it is a reliable car but you should still get EW.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 11th June 2021 at 19:50.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 03:21   #268
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'Yes', but not because 'XYZ components are prone to failure in Ecosport TDCI'. The EcoSport is a fairly reliable car and very issues are heard of the model.

With any car brand it is always best to get the extended warranty. A car is made up of a million different parts and pieces and if one is lucky, the right part can fail causing a bad ownership experience. That is why car makes offer warranty and extended warranty. It will be like taking medical insurance annually. It is a blessing if we don't have to use it, but then if the need arises, it will cause less stress.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 23:42   #269
BHPian

Of note here is that you should base your decision on how religiously you service your car at an authorized service center. I, for one always take my car to a mechanic I know and he does a pretty good job. However, during my first year of ownership(1 year std Hyundai warranty, elite i20), I was told by the service center that my warranty is void because of this behavior of taking the car to a non-authorized service center. I don't have the time to stay at an ASC all day waiting for service, and I don't trust them enough to leave my car with them without supervision. Warranty does not cover all replacements anyway so take that with a pinch of salt too.
Old 7th August 2021, 18:39   #270
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I am an owner of a 2017 Ford Figo diesel, remapped to Stage 1+.

I recently received this meesage from Ford to have my warranty extended-

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-smartselect_20210807182840_messages.jpg

https://www.india.ford.com/owner/extended-warranty/

Upon opening the link, I found this-

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot_20210806181610_chrome.jpg

I was under the impression that the warranty for the Figo could be extended only upto 5 years but it seems like either I was wrong or Ford has extended the extended warranty support upto 6 years.

While I was quite sure of not getting the 5 year warranty, but the prospect of extending it for an additional year for only 500 bucks more has got me interested in this again.

The car has been reliable so far except a minor gearbox issue in the initial few months( the gears refused to enagage).

The only reason stopping me from getting the warranty extended is my remap. That does rule out a lot of components under the coverage of warranty.

What do you guys suggest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks