Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18267-article-extended-warranties-yes-no-6.html)

I took 3rd and 4th year extended warranty for my Santro last month for Rs. 4600. The price quoted also varies depending on when the extended warranty is taken. Taking it within 90 days of delivery costs the lowest.

As a continuation of the discussions on another thread, I'm sharing details of what is included in the extended warranty on my Tata Safari. There is a general misconception that only items which do not generally fail are covered but I don't think that view is correct.

(Mods, I didn't want to start a separate thread for this, please feel free to move it if so required)

So, Parts Covered in extended warranty (30 months after initial warranty period of 18 months OR 150,000 kms, which ever occurs first) for Safari :
Engine
Cylinder heard, head gasket. oil pump & drive, crankshaft, flywheel & ring gear, timing gears, belts & chains, camshaft, cam follower, valves (excluding burnt & pitted valves), valve gear, pistons, connecting rods, gudgeonpin, distributor drive, inlet & exhaust manifolds, bore\liner, turbo, intercooler units where factory fitted.

Clutch
Clutch pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing, master & slave cylinder, clutch cable (failure due to worn or burnt clutches are not covered).

Transmission
Internal gears, shafts, syncromesh rings & hub, bushes, selector forks, drive chanins, gear lever & bushes (failure due to worn out or burn out clutches & bands are not covered).

Transfer Case
All internal parts.

Coolant
Radiator, water pump, thermostat, engine oil cooler (failure due to external damage or corrosion is not covered).

Steering system
Rack and pinion, steering box, column, shaft bearings, couplings, power steering pump, pressure pipes, reservoir.

Propshaft
Shaft, universal joints, center bearings.

Final Drive
Crown wheel & pinion, differential gears, hub & hub bearing.

Front wheel drive
Drive shaft & couplings, constant velocity joints, hub, drive flange.

Fuel system
Carberettor, choke unit, fuel pump, injector pump, ECU, cold start valve, pressure damper, auxiliary valve, overrun cutoff valve, deceleration valve, tank sender unit.

Brake system
Servo, master cylinder, wheel cylinder, diesel vacuum pump, callipers, discs (excluding brake pads/liners), drums, handbrake lever & rathchet.

Suspension
Shock absorbers (excluding fluid leakage) bush\mechanical failures, control arms, upper and lower wishbones, springs. Limited to 35,000 kms beyond which deemed to be normal wear & tear.

Casings
Should failure of any of the components covered result in damage to the casings, then they will also be covered & will constitute part of the maximum claim liability.

EMISSION WARRANTY
Exhaust system
EGR valve, EGR Actuation system.

Intake system
Air intake throttle, Air temperature sensor, Air mass flow meter, Oil separator and PVC valve.

Fuel system
Assembly fuel injection pump, Assembly injector.

Cold start system
Glow plug, Fast idle control device.

Evaporative Emission Control
Canister purge valve, Fuel tank cap & relief valve.

Engine management system
Crank angle sensor, Vehicle speed sensor, water temperature sensor.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Starter motor & solenoid, alternator, distributor, coil, wiper & washer motor, window motors, fan motors, switches & instruments.

Air conditioning
Compressor, condensor, evaporator and clutch magnet.

Man, that's a pretty comprehensive coverage I'd sayclap:. Tata definitely covers you adequately during your extended warranty.

I will post details of my Fiesta extended warranty in a few days time. This is quite a time consuming exercise & I gotta run........

Hi Suman. Pretty comprehensive I say. Very impressive homework, looking forward to the fiesta parts line up.

Good description and very exhaustive post buddie.You have gone in depth in the subject buddie.Good job done.
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by murugaveln (Post 722919)
I took 3rd and 4th year extended warranty for my Santro last month for Rs. 4600. The price quoted also varies depending on when the extended warranty is taken. Taking it within 90 days of delivery costs the lowest.

Good thing. I made the mistake of not taking an extended warranty for my Santro since none of my earlier cars needed it and almost ended up paying through my nose for a crankshaft failure.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-1-2years.html

The 5th year extended warranty of Getz costs 8000. I am thinking whether to go for it as I am not sure whether I would upgrade earlier.

Do you guys think it is worth it? The terms and conditions remains the same as other warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 863089)
The 5th year extended warranty of Getz costs 8000. I am thinking whether to go for it as I am not sure whether I would upgrade earlier.

Do you guys think it is worth it? The terms and conditions remains the same as other warranty.

The probability of something going wrong with the Getz is more in the 5th year, than anytime before. Add to that the fact that some Getz parts are pretty expensive. I'd say go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by royaltiger (Post 722660)
I bought a Ford Feasta 1.6 in DEc 2007 and took a total maintenance plan. I t covered all maintainance and part ( except fuel and Tyres.lol) for a priod of three years or 36000 km which ever was first. was it worth it guys:D

How much did you pay for it?

I had a doubt on the warranty of Verna vgt.I had seen a press release were Hyundai was saying about the 4 year warranty for the diesel Verna,i got in touch with the dealer and they dint have any idea.
Has anyone gone for it till date,
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 863546)
The probability of something going wrong with the Getz is more in the 5th year, than anytime before. Add to that the fact that some Getz parts are pretty expensive. I'd say go for it.

Thanks GTO. The Trident executive gave the same rationale for the hefty price compared to 3rd and 4th year warranty. I am going for it this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 863089)

The information I got earlier was wrong. The terms and conditions of 5th year warranty is different, ONLY ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION are covered. It costs 2350. I have gone for it today, just for peace of mind at a small cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 866906)
The information I got earlier was wrong. The terms and conditions of 5th year warranty is different, ONLY ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION are covered. It costs 2350. I have gone for it today, just for peace of mind at a small cost.

Today I went to Trident Hyundai, Inner Ring Road to get 5th year extended warranty for my Getz. The receptionist told me that 5th year warranty is not available. When I insisted that it is available she called the service executive.
The service executive told me that extended warranty is not available, only Engine and Transmission warranty is available in the fifth year. He refered to the circular from Hyundai on the notice board. I again confirmed with him the same as was I was informed on the phone by another executive that 5th year comprehensive extended warranty for Getz is available for Rs.8000. I belived him and went for ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION warranty for Rs.2350. Now I find from the press release that both schemes are available.

Refer :Hyundai India launches optional extended warranty scheme ~ Auto Blogs India - Auto News, Events, Reviews, Articles, Deals

I have sent a mail to Hyundai informing the lack of knowledge at the dealership and my experience. Let me see how if goes.

Update: I got call from Trident Hyundai saying that they got the updated circular only on Monday. I paid difference (Extended warranty 8050 - Engine and Transmission warranty 2350).

I used to get regular updates from Hyundai customer service since I logged the complaint. My confidence in Hyundai customer service has become more strong.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted your opinion on whether the Extended Warranty on the Swift is worth it or not. Basically there is a extended warranty component in the on road price. The amount isn't a big one, although it adds to the price. As of now, in Delhi I need to pay 2400 for 2yrs (+1 extra by dealer) for this.

Do you suggest I go in for it? (It's a maruti :))
Benefits ?

looking forward to your responses.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Hi guys, need some help on this extended warranty thing. Have booked an i10 kappa magna which will be delivered this week but am still in two minds about this extended warranty thing. Also came across people telling me that service guys also replace good parts with old ones how true is that. Am getting a 3rd year extended warranty for 4k. If it helps am also getting free mats if i take the extended warranty :D